Lord and Master Ch. 01

Story Info
Master's attraction to his maid in 1861 South Carolina.
3.3k words
3.86
71.3k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
swilt
swilt
6 Followers

Friday, June 29 1861 Southampton, Hampshire, England

The stranger sitting in the corner of her parlor wouldn't stop looking at her. Broad shouldered, well dressed, chin length brown hair, his blue eyes tore over her in an assessing way. "Let us begin, sir."

Elizabeth, her mother and sister, the stranger and his lawyer were gathered in the parlor of her home. She knew that the meeting couldn't come of good things. They had had meetings like this one before; Gentlemen and their lawyers would meet with the three remaining Starlings because the death of her father uncovered unexpected and secret debts.

And since Lord Starling had somehow spent all the family's savings while gambling, the three remaining Starling women had to sell most of their possessions; leaving their home bare and no servants to attend them.

To make matters worse, with a family of all females, they had few ways to pay back the debt. The best option for any of them was to marry into a family willing to accept their debt. But no gentleman of their class was willing to marry an old widow, or two young ladies with little dowry.
Elizabeth was sitting down across from the men in a plain wooden chair, not even a table to separate them. The stranger looking of thirty glared impatiently at the lawyer. The stranger had a poor posture; he sat slouched back in the chair, his elbow on the arm rest with his chin placed atop his fist.

The lawyer began, addressing her mother, "The late Lord Starling gambled with Lord Wellington," he gestured toward the man beside him, "lost, and didn't have enough funds. Your family owes him one hundred pounds. It has been suggested to me that one of your daughters move to his estate and work off the debt as a housekeeper. The length of time to be worked to pay off the debt will be about five years."

Elizabeth had heard of Lord Wellington. He owned thousands of acres of land in the New World that were used for agriculture and was famous from his success. The journey across the ocean must have been exhausting and must have been the reason he looked so irritable.

She knew that she would never get an offer of marriage now that her family name was ruined from her father's debt. She tried restraining the burning in her eyes at the thought of leaving her homeland and living with a stranger for the next five years.

Elizabeth, looking up to her teary eyed parent, said quietly, "I will mother. Since am I the eldest, I believe I hold the responsibility. Let Claire have what's left of her childhood." Addressing everyone in the room, she looked to the Lord's staring eyes and said, "I will go and work off the debt."

The matter being settled, the lawyer said, "Very well then. If you'll just sign these papers, ladies -"


Elizabeth looked at the papers. They were legal contracts. She read, 'I agree to remain at the Wellington residence until the sum of one hundred pounds is repaid.' Elizabeth picked up the quill and signed on the designated line, as did her mother, the lawyer, and Lord Wellington.

"I bid you ladies good day. My Lord," he said bowing to each party. After an awkward silence, the lawyer said, "Elizabeth, you'll be leaving with Lord Wellington now."


She looked over to Lord Wellington and he wore a stern expression.


He spoke, "Gather whatever you can fit in a traveling bag. Say your goodbyes and we'll be going." With a small bow, he left the room and went out the front door, breaking eye contact with her for the first time since his arrival.


Forgetting Lord Wellington for the moment, she turned to her family. "Don't worry about me, mother." Elizabeth hugged and kissed her mother and sister quickly through tears. "I will ask permission to write." She quickly ran up the stairs to her bedroom and pulled out a bag. She withdrew her chemises, stockings, a pair of old shoes, and her old dresses. She didn't take anything else, for it would only remind her of home. Not wanting to keep her new master waiting, she ran outside.

She tried to wipe the tears from her face before he saw them, but he turned around while in the process; his eyes softening a fraction to her tears.

He waited for her to walk to him. Almost sympathetic blue eyes looked into hers as he said softly, "'Tis most unfortunate about your father."

She nodded her head and lowered her eyes so she didn't have to look into his. He lowered his hands to her waist and lifted her astride onto the horse. Startled, she almost batted his hands away with her bag, but thought better of it. Riding astride a new experience for her; she awkwardly tried to adjust her skirts.

Before she knew it, he climbed on behind her. In vain, she tried to scoot forward on the saddle to avoid contact with him. His arms came around her as he picked up the reigns; one ultimately resting around the front of her. Startled by his action, she jerked away from his arm, just to bump into his chin with a synchronized "Ouch!"


She turned around to assess the damage; she saw that he had his eyes closed and looked as if he were trying to control his temper. "Oh, please forgive me! You startled me," she said with all sincerity. But in the next breath she was irritated. "Usually men would ask permission before he does something like touch me."

Also irritated, he mocked, "Forgive me, M'lady. I'm in too much of a hurry for formalities."
He pulled and as they were jolted she grabbed onto his arm in surprise, but quickly released it.
He seemed very business-like and serious, she thought; although, he seemed human and sympathetic towards her misfortune for a moment. But, his ungentlemanly behavior disconcerted her. Perhaps it was because he was American.

Or maybe he wasn't so human and thought her a prisoner that needed to serve a sentence for a crime she committed, for he was treating her as such. He touched her in a manner that was inappropriate to touch a lady; tossing her about like a sack of flour and holding on to her like he stole her-or didn't want her stolen...

After what seemed like a long, hard ride to the coast, they arrived at the docks of Southampton. It looked just as it did the last time she was here. Only it felt a lot different sitting astride on a horse with a stranger behind her.

The American directed the steed to a stable walking distance from the ports. She watched him dismount and guide the horse and her to a groom. He handed payment to the lad and turned to face her. "Would you like some assistance?" He almost sounded sarcastic to spite her from her snipping at him about touching her earlier.

With a smug look, she answered, "Yes, some assistance would be appreciated." She cared for him much better while he acted civilized, she reflected.

He took her hands in his to support her as she swung her leg over and slid to the ground. He released her as soon as she caught her balance and said, "Allow me to carry your bag. We have a ship to catch." He reached into his vest pocket and withdrew a pocket watch. "We need to be quite quick. It leaves in a quarter hour." Without further ado, he took her elbow in one hand, the bag in the other and pulled her along to board the ship.

After showing his return ticket on the steam engine ship and her one way ticket, they boarded her and walked to the upper deck. Upon reaching the room, he announced, "Sorry I didn't mention this earlier...but the ship was rather full and...well we have to share the room." He proceeded to open the lock on the door and swing it open.

After the shock of everything that had happened in today alone, she just stood outside of the door, holding herself to feel not as empty; trying to hold back her body from shaking and her eyes from leaking.

He turned around after sitting down her bag and walked back to her at the doorway. "Come, sit down." He reached out to her.

"Leave me be," she said softly to the floor. She escaped his presence by sidling to a chair.

To her surprise, he did as she asked and left the room, closing the door behind him. She let out a sigh and sat down in the chair, bringing her knees to her chest, and cradled herself. She became aware of the ship rising and falling underneath her and she lost her bearings. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply to fight the nausea growing in her stomach. She couldn't hold back her tears any longer.

She rose from the chair and carefully walked through the door and over to the edge of the deck. Losing her strength, she gripped onto the railing. The rising and falling of the ship grew and the bile rose in her throat.

If she didn't feel awful before, she certainly did now. She wouldn't ever see her father again. She wouldn't see her mother and sister and her homeland for five years. She would be a prisoner and slave in a stranger's home. She had lost her faith. She could end all of her suffering if she just leaned over the railing a bit more...

Before she could finish her thoughts of suicide, her stomach emptied itself via her mouth. She felt so weak that she couldn't hold herself upright. She slid down the side of the railing and hung herself over one of the supports.

A few moments later, she heard a concerned voice. "Miss Starling?" She saw the stranger walk up to her quickly through half open eyes and he knelt down beside her. He looked at her face. "You're ill."

She closed her eyes and slumped further down from her weakness, landing in his arms. She felt herself being lifted and carried across a distance. She felt that he stopped and she was lowered onto a soft mattress.

The next thing she remembered feeling a cool, wet cloth being dabbed around her face and neck. She felt too awful to tell him to leave her be for a second time. She tried opening her eyes instead. What she saw was a very close face of the stranger. Blue eyes, dark lashes, clean shaven, long brown hair falling out of his tie, straight nose, handsome mouth... For the first time, she realized how attractive he was.

The next moment she was frightened by what she just thought. She was going to be with this man for the next five years, as his servant. She wouldn't likely court a groom in America, let alone the master of her new household! It was improper anyway.

"Are you feeling better?" He searched her face for the answer.

He actually looked concerned. Maybe he was human after all..."I feel a little better, yes. Thank you for your assistance."

"Well, you are my responsibility now."

For a moment, she thought that he dabbed her face in an intimate way. Her heart began to pound in warning and her skin prickled all over her body.

"Do you feel up to eating yet?" He looked as if he were searching her expression to predict her answer.

"Perhaps some bread...How much more of this will I have to endure?"

"From here theGreat Easternwill sail across the Atlantic to New York. From New York we'll take the railroad to Charleston, where I live. It took nine days to cross the Atlantic on the way here and three on train. The time passes quick enough if one occupies oneself."

Saturday, July 14th, Charleston, South Carolina, America

After departing the railroad station, she noticed how humid the weather was in America, but she was glad to be rid of her cage of the train compartment. The two of them hadn't spoke much after he had recovered from her illness on the ship. Being gentlemanly, the stranger left the one bed for her and slept on the floor on the ship. He also brought her food from the dining hall on theGreat Eastern; probably so Master and servant wouldn't be seen eating together, she thought. This was the same on the train as well. She was certainly glad to be out of those confined spaces.

Her only form of entertainment was reading the newspaper after he had finished reading it. Once they were on the train and had access to the American news, the news shocked her. What she gathered from reading the articles was that slavery soon became a major issue in the US presidential election of 1860. Many democrats in the north were against slavery and those in the south favored it, each wanted to elect its own president resulting a splitting of party. Southerners began to fear that the northern Republican Party Presidential nominee, Lincoln, would limit slavery or ban it all together and South Carolina was the first of the southern states to secede in April. She wanted to ask him where he stood on the issue, but knew she would be out of line by asking.

Walking from the train station, the stranger led her to a carriage that was waiting for their arrival. The groom inclined his head and held a hand out to assist her into the carriage. The stranger quickly followed her in.

After a couple hours of riding, he pointed out the carriage window. "See that large willow tree there? That's where my territory begins. It will be about another half hour to the house."

Once they were riding on his land for a few minutes, she saw the occasional cottage and laborers finishing for the day.

When she caught a sight of the manor, it was nearing sunset. It was a two story with the servant quarters downstairs, brick, rectangle with one chimney on each side. The most attractive feature about the plantation house was the front porch and balcony above supported by columns. The style of the house indicated that it was about a century old.

The carriage slowed as they rode up to the front door from the lane. The carriage stopped, the door was opened by the stranger, and he assisted her out of the carriage as impersonally as possible.

She stood there a moment, taking in the sight of the manor, stables, lake, and trees. She didn't notice that she was gawking until he spoke.

"Come now." He walked in the door with his luggage and she followed after him with hers. "George!" he called.

After a few moments an older man came hustling into the foyer from a hallway.
"Welcome home, Master Wellington. What is it you need?" He looked at Lord Wellington and then at Elizabeth with a curious look.

Lord Wellington said, "This is the new maidservant from the Starling's. Elizabeth was it?" He looked to her for assurance. She nodded. "It was her father who was in debt to me and she'll be working it off here now. Show her to her room and get me some supper." He walked away from them and up the stairs and down the hall on the right.

"Follow me Miss Starling. I'll show you were your room is and you can help me fix dinner," said George. She thought about how cold and enigmatic Lord Wellington could be sometimes. Even the manor felt cold and uncomfortable. She felt as though she was being watched, but she found not the source.

She followed George to the back of the house through the kitchen. The stairway down to her bedroom was on the other side of the kitchen. They walked down the stairs and walked down the hall. He opened the door and she saw a very plain bedroom that only contained a small bed furnished with thin bedding and a small dresser for her clothing. She sat her bag on the bed to unpack later. She followed George back to the kitchen and they started to make his dinner.

"What is it like to work for Lord Wellington?" She asked timidly.

"He doesn't really need much attention, but when he asks for something to be done you must do it promptly. He works out in the fields during the day, so when he returns, he's a bit tired."

They continued to cook supper, not saying anything more. But she continued to think about her new master in her mind. It would be hard to get to know him, she thought. But servants weren't supposed to get to know their masters. He seemed reserved and anti-social. She talked to her own servants, but she never really did know them.

When dinner was done, George said, "Come Miss Starling, we'll both take his dinner to him. He has it in his bedroom most of the time. He doesn't believe it necessary to dirty the dining room just for him. You'll see how to properly serve him when you come with me."

She followed him up the stairs located in the entryway. Walking up the stairs she saw family portraits hanging on the wall. She saw a portrait of a woman around twenty with blue eyes and brown hair, like Lord Wellington, and two older gentlemen that had Lord Wellington's bone structure. She was surprised to see such a small amount of family portraits.

From the top of the stairs, they made a right and his room was the second door on the left.

Still holding the tray of food, George knocked on the door, "Master Wellington? Your dinner is ready."

They heard a faint, "Come in."

George opened the door and they entered his chamber. He was sitting down in front of the fire, arms crossed, just staring into it.

Elizabeth wondered what he could be thinking about. He was clearly not paying attention to what was happening around him. He continued to stare into it, when George went over to him and sat the tray on the table next to his chair. He glanced up to the tray went he heard the clatter of the tray against the table.

"Will there be anything else Master Wellington?" George asked.

"Yes, George. I would like to speak to Miss Starling alone." Lord Wellington said looking up at her with those blue eyes. George bowed and walked out of the room.

"Yes My Lord?" Elizabeth asked.

"I didn't enforce this before since we weren't in my home, but I'd prefer that you call me by Master Wellington.," he said turning to look back into the fire.

Looking in the fire also, she said, "Yes Master Wellington."

He continued to look into the fire as he said, "I wanted to let you know that you're to report to George and Marge. There are also grooms, laborers and Charlie that helps George, but you are not to converse with them." He paused as if to let Elizabeth soak in the information. "Also I have breakfast at dawn so I may be off to work. I hope I'm not too hard to take care of." He looked at her then and gave her a smile.

Startled at his change of mood, she looked up to see his smile. "Yes, Master Wellington." She refrained from asking why there were so few servants in the house. He sure could afford it, she thought.

He turned back to the fire and said, "Leave me now, Miss Starling and have my breakfast ready at dawn, understand?"

She curtsied and said, "Yes, Master Wellington," and she left the chamber and closed the door behind her. He was very unpredictable, she thought as she went to her bedchamber to retire.

swilt
swilt
6 Followers