Lore of the Angels Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alecrire
Alecrire
291 Followers

"Morning sex?" Eyes wide open were staring at her expectantly. If he was a dog, his tail would probably be wagging right now.

"Darling, doesn't your hunger ever wane?"

"For you it doesn't."

She shook her head, laughing at his antics. "I promised the girls that I'd help them dress today."

Zilarrezko got up slowly into a sitting position. "What's so special about today?"

"Lucian's going to bring them to meet the other Angels and Humans in the building." She paused at his suspicious stare. "I'm not letting them out of the Obelisque. It's too dangerous. But I thought it'd be good for the children to have more interaction."

"Okay, I permit it." Then grinning, "Will you come back to bed after that?"

"Archangel!" She pinched his arm and got to her feet immediately. "I'm going to shower now," she said, pausing only to make sure he was still in bed. "Do not follow me. Understand?"

He watched her turn; sashaying those same hips he had grabbed last night as he thrust deep inside...

"What the hell." He flung the blanket away and walked towards the sound of running water.

***

Aria waved for one last time as the lift doors closed in front of her siblings' faces. Satisfied that they were going to be kept entertained, she waited for the next elevator to take her to Zilarrezko. Between him and the children, caring for them was a full time job.

"You're still confining them you know," said a voice, startling her. Aria waited until the speaker came out of the shadows.

"Oh, it's you." Aria paused as the wizened Earth Cardinal hobbled over to her. "Gaia... I'm really sorry about the other day. I was..."

"Angry? Upset? Well, when you're as old as I am, you really don't bother with such trivial things. I take it that you're not chasing after Yuki anymore?"

Aria hung her head in shame. She was choosing to stay because of Zilarrezko's promise to spend a mortal life with her after the war. It was selfish of her to expect him to take out the threat but Aria knew it was suicidal to face a millennia old Archangel all by herself.

"It is safest here for me and my siblings..."

Gaia tapped her walking stick on the ground disapprovingly. "You're still caging them Aria Ayn... this building with its many floors are nothing but layers of concrete meant to trap and imprison."

Gaia didn't give her a chance to reply for she continued, "How long do you intend to keep them trapped here? Even with Yuki gone, one of her Ordinals would simply take over and the threat will be constant. But you can change that Aria..."

"But how Gaia? I am a mortal and I am not even adept at combat. That is not my designation."

The crescent shaped eyes blinked rapidly. "I will help you."

"Why?" Aria stepped back in surprise. Was Gaia really that adamant on getting her killed? She couldn't possibly think that she could survive even a minute in Yuki's presence?

The Earth Cardinal shrugged. "Because I like you and I like the little ones. As an Archangel, you aren't just giving them wings you know... but freedom." She pressed the elevator button. "Come," she invited when the door open. "Let us talk where the air is fresh."

As expected, she brought them to the garden –a place where Gaia felt most comfortable in. Wobbling a little, she got to her knees and began to ruffle the grass beneath her palm. It was as if she was greeting them in her own secret way; affirming her special bond with her element.

"Gaia? What did you mean when you said I could give them freedom?"

"You'd have more Ordinals –each to protect one sibling if you wish but even better, as Angels, they can learn to protect themselves. No longer restricted by mortality, you can trust the older two to roam on their own. I don't think you see how stifled they really are Aria."

"Why are you doing this Gaia? Telling me all these things to tempt me into immortality? It's not a game you know. I cannot defeat Yuki!"

Instead of being angry, the elder Cardinal held out her palm. "Watch."

From the centre of the wrinkly folds, a seed sprouted; the germination process accelerated like a time lapse. Aria expected it to grow into a flower but when she came closer, it was just a blade of grass.

"You are still in control of your element even if you're a mortal Aria..." Gaia smiled as she handed the green tuff to her. "But you need help. Weave this into that material you always wear and it will protect you."

Aria didn't think a blade of grass was enough to prepare her for an epic battle. "Err... how?"

Her ignorance amused Gaia. "That is not just any grass. It's an amalgamation of every species of grass from every region of the world. Now, that's the strength of about ten thousand and no matter where you land, you'll always be home."

Aria looked down at the gift. While it might not exactly be a powerful weapon, she was honored to have it. Archangels don't just fashion a part of themselves and their elements as a gift for mortals.

"Thank you Gaia..."

The Earth Cardinal smiled. "You're not disappointed?"

"Well, I don't really know how this will help me beat Yuki but it is still special."

"Yes it is... you see, grass has always been overlooked but it forms the basis of so much life on this planet. Grass plains can be found everywhere –except Antarctica of course –but they're the toughest. They can withstand being burnt, frozen, drowned or trampled because they are constantly growing; regenerating from below even when they're damaged on the surface."

Aria widened her eyes and looked down at the blade lying on her palm.

"It will help thwart the Ice attacks."

"I don't know what to say..." Aria really didn't. Gaia's small action was forcing her to accept the kamikaze mission.

"You shouldn't be afraid Aria. You aren't fighting this alone. Another Archangel has fashioned you something too. I can sense it."

The pearl! Aria almost forgot about it. What had Iluna said? Yes, the Dark pearl would not take out an Archangel but could certainly incapacitate one.

"What is it?"

"Iluna gave me a pearl for my first assignment."

The knowledge startled Gaia for she began to shake her head and stepped back. "What was it for?"

A contract for Valkyrie assignments was confidential. There was no way she was telling Gaia. The Cardinal should have known that but when she shook her head, Gaia's expression hardened.

"Iluna was the one who unclipped my wings... I had thought the gift was from Zilarrezko. Are you carrying out her assignment now Aria?" The question was asked without an ounce of kindness and Aria could feel something painfully twining around her calves.

"No! It was to protect me from Zilarrezko. He was my first assignment."

The sharp tendrils immediately released her. "Then he? Did he give you anything? Something that was a part of him?"

Aria frowned. She wasn't sure if the metal feather was a part of him. It shone gold, silver and bronze all at once and Zilarrezko was not an Angel of that coloring. But it was still a gift.

"Yes he did."

"Wonderful!" exclaimed Gaia. "Perhaps I could entice the other two Archangels to lend you some of their strengths. We shall leave immediately!"

"What! I need some time to think this through. At least say goodbye..." Aria didn't need to add the part where it might be her last one.

"There is not much time to lose Aria. We must hurry..."

Aria laid a gentle hand on the elderly Cardinal's shoulder. "Gaia... what happens after this? Even if I managed to miraculously defeat Yuki... what am I to do with all her land? I do not know anything about being an Angel, much less an Archangel."

"Is that all?"

Aria sighed. The Earth Cardinal could read her too well. "What good is being an Archangel if I have to reside miles away from the one I love? He's willing to be mortal for me –isn't that enough?"

Gaia's eyes suddenly sparkled with interest. "Oh really? I didn't know that."

Aria smiled; the whirlpools in her eyes reflecting the turmoil in her heart.

"You could always stay here," suggested Gaia. "If you're an immortal by then, you have a choice to remain so and you'll be together."

"I can't just abandon the Archangel's duties like that!"

Gaia's lips curved. "I can rule it for you."

"You can do that?"

"Of course! When the clan's own Cardinal is not ready to take up the role, any Ordinal within his or her service may step up as Regent. I may not have wings yet... but I am still an immortal."

Aria wanted to expound on the 'yet' but Gaia was already walking away. "I am tired Aria. Make your decision by the end of the day."

Before she could say anything, the Earth Cardinal was gone, almost as though she blended right into the foliage. Left alone to her thoughts, Aria began weighing her options.

It wasn't a difficult decision.

Zilarrezko had done so much for her –rescuing her from Iluna's prison, giving refuge to her family, loving her... he was even willing to give up his immortality for her.

She should at least spare him from that.

***

Alecrire
Alecrire
291 Followers