Lore of the Angels Ch. 14

Story Info
The final battle - moment of truth.
9.7k words
4.82
7.8k
10

Part 14 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/26/2022
Created 05/24/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alecrire
Alecrire
291 Followers

Hi everyone! Finally, I've managed to churn out this last chapter! Believe it or not, I wrote it all in two days. The inspiration just kept on flowing so let's hope it stays that way! And to thank all of you for your endless support and encouragement, I've started writing the sequel and the first chapter should be out very soon.

Chapter 14

"Archangel Andhera," repeated Anthony; his face expressionless and just a tad unsympathetic. It wasn't that he didn't understand her loss –but centuries of living had made him numb and immune to the emotions tied to grieving.

Perhaps it was for that reason that one of the Dark Ordinals stepped forward; his wings of black smoke fanning backwards as though shielding his Archangel from Anthony's insensitivity.

"Yuen," acknowledged the Fire Ordinal; his eyes fixated on the former's onyx orbs as though anticipating an attack.

Yuen, however, made no move from his position in front of Andhera. "What does your Archangel want of us?" he asked humbly although he too had the same guarded look in his eyes.

Ignoring him, Anthony turned his gaze towards the entrance of the library. It annoyed him that he sensed his Archangel a split second slower than usual.The chaotic situation downstairs with the Earth Angels was occupying the top of his mind, followed by his worry for Julia and their reinforcement fleet. But at the back of his mind, Anthony couldn't help but feel that something far worst had happened.

He was right.

The look on Marcus's face was telling enough.

"Angels," greeted Zilarrezko; his tone, flat and unflinching. "Andhera, Yuki has changed her plans and is attacking Africa as we speak."

Andhera blinked once then looked at her other Dark Ordinals; her grey irises darkening into pure graphite. "That wasn't part of the plan."

"It is now. I need you to return to South America and push back her approaching troops. We cannot be attacking on too many fronts."

Turning to Yuen, Andhera's voice trembled a little as she spoke, "Take the rest and return home. I want you to mobilize our troops and let me know the situation."

"And you..." a pause. "Archangel?"

She blinked once more at the title. "I will fly to Africa."

For a moment, everyone just stared at her.

"But you hate Light Angels. This isn't your war Andhera. I need you to be where you are needed if you ever want your clan to survive," said Zilarrezko coldly.

"Ehren is my brother," she said simply.

Zilarrezko chose not to argue and instead turned to Anthony.

"Tell Julia to push at full speed. I want the fleet's estimated time of arrival by the end of the hour." A pause. "Stay here Anthony. Protect the land in my steed."

Anthony was silent but his eyes were full of protest; a gesture not dismissed by his Archangel.

"Marcus, Andhera," was all he said before making his way out of the library. Zilarrezko had one more stop to make before they took flight and this was the most important.

"Lucian," he greeted as the Light Angel opened the door of the children's residence. Without waiting a beat, the Archangel continued, "I need you to find your Cardinal. Your bond with her would make it easier for you to find her. The children will be safe here."

Lucian gave a small nod. He knew that the Metal Archangel had already too many things on his mind. There was no need to tell him how much the bond he had with Aria had strengthened concretely over the past hour. He could sense the eternal quality of the bond; something that only an Archangel could have administered.

As he watched the Metal Archangel from the back, Lucian wondered just how soon will he and the rest of the world find out about the awaken Water Archangel.

***

Yuki was reacting in blind rage. She had begun to instruct all her air battalions manned by Valkyries to begin razing down the borders. Knowing that Noor had a weak navy, she told the air forces to strike them all down. It was a suicidal mission, she knew, but Yuki didn't care. She would rather lose a few aircrafts intercepted by Noor's superb air fleet than have to deal with the pathetic resistance of the Light Archangel's navy.

Halting her ships just within shooting range, Yuki looked up into the cloudless bright sky and gave a smile. Noor might be able to manipulate the light intensities but she was the ultimate power house controlling the weather. If she wanted to bring the temperature around the equator to below zero, that was her prerogative.

Simply because she could.

The faint sounds of missiles and explosion didn't bother her one bit as she focused her energies solely on cooling the entire region – a feat, considering the extreme heat and light intensities surrounding the equator.

But Yuki was not born yesterday. She had millennia worth of practice to sharpen her abilities. Her lips tugged smugly as she saw the first sheet of thin ice slowly spreading across the sea water.

Everything around her was starting to slow down, almost as though the decrease in temperature was slowing down time in its midst. Her breath came out in a silent puff of smoke as the shivering cold started to solidify the water beneath her more and more.

Since this was war, Yuki wanted to make sure that she made it her turf. With a faint smile, she leapt off the bow of her commanding ship and landed demurely onto the thick block of ice connecting her fleet to the mainland.

This close to the ice, Yuki could control it even more; making sure to keep the temperature so low that the Light Angels would freeze.

Laughing at her own ingenuity, Yuki summoned for Chióni.

The Ordinal was by her side a second slower than usual but Yuki dismissed it. Hadn't all the angels stupidly blanked out not too long ago for no reason?

"Cardinal," said Chióni softly.

"I need you to bring half the fleet over to the West side of the coast. I can sense a massive fleet approaching this way."

"You wish for me to intercept this fleet?"

Yuki turned to the Snow Angel with a satisfied smile. "Oh no Chióni... I want you to destroy the entire West Coast and then intercept the fleet."

For the first time, Chióni hesistated – something she had never done before.

"Chióni."

As though blinking away her sudden daze, Chióni lowered her gaze and turned to do as instructed. Shewilltake half the fleet but shewill notdestroy the coast and kill the innocent. If Yuki sought her out afterwards to punish her, then so be it.

***

"She's sending a blizzard our way," pointed Cyrus. "That's just too sudden a temperature change for the Angels and Valkyries to be able to adjust!"

Noor gave a soft sigh and took a quick look down. At least the temperature had caused the Earth Angels to cease attacking the building. Instead, all were shivering, trying to keep warm with their new wings and coverings.

"They're the most versatile. They'll adapt," said Noor gently, as though to reassure herself. "Earth is everywhere – even in the coldest and hottest parts of this planet."

"What's your plan now?" asked Cyrus. "We can use Calida's Fire to reverse the temperature dip."

"No. Not yet. Yuki must not know that we even have this power. It will only increase her mercilessness." Cyrus was about to protest when he saw the faint smile on her face. Before he could speak, she had already turned in anticipation of Ehren's presence in the room.

Something unspoken transpired between the Cardinal and her Ordinal, ending with Ehren nodding and leaving the room.

"I've asked Ehren to shroud the entire south of the city with his thickest blanket of Darkness. Her air forces will be forced to at least evacuate."

"Doesn't stop them from shooting blindly," said Cyrus dryly.

"I know. That's why you're going with Ehren. I need you to redirect all fire power from destroying anything."

Cyrus raised an eyebrow at her suggestion. Surely she didn't think he was that omnipotent?

"And you?"

"I have guests to attend to," she said simply, lifting her gaze slightly to the sky.

***

Aria didn't need to fly far to find Zilarrezko's fleet. The vibrations on the seawater caused by the fricative motion of steel against the tidal current hummed in her veins.

Still cloaked in Illusion, she landed soundlessly on the deck of the commanding ship. From where she was, she could see Julia pacing back and forth with a receiver pressed close to her ears. Aria knew that whatever transpired in the conversation, it had to be bad news.

Turning to face the ocean, Aria took a deep breath and tried to understand the movements in the salty breeze and turbulent waves. Something had changed, causing the undercurrents to become conflicting; cold currents clashing with the warmer ones, almost in a reversal that was culminating into what Aria feared could only be a whirlpool tsunami.

Moving this fleet towards the centre of that chaos would be like leading a lamb directly into a lion's den. Even before Yuki's own destroyers could get them, they'd all be swallowed by the waves.

She needed help.

Lucian...

Aria didn't know why or how it would be possible to contact her Ordinal from such a distance, but she just knew she could.

Archangel?

Yes.There was no denying that now.

Where are you?

On board Julia's ship. They're bound towards Africa but I fear that they wouldn't make it there.

I'm coming.

Yes.

Looking forward, Aria took in another deep breath. There was a specific region just south of Africa that had been completely frozen – something not logically possible considering that the equator received the highest intensity of sunlight and heat.

But knowing Yuki, the otherwise impossible feat had been done. Her deliberate manipulation of temperature was causing the heat to be redistributed to the peripheral areas, warming the sea temperature at an alarming rate.

She needed to stop Zilarrezko's fleet from moving further. In less than an hour, the entire Atlantic ocean would cannibalise and consume everything in its path.

Aria had no intentions of revealing herself but the situation demanded that she did. Julia may not take orders from her, but neither could she disobey an Archangel without reasons either.

Walking back to the control room, Aria knocked gently on the door and waited for it to open. The sharp contrast of pearlescent white hair against ebony skin greeted her.

"Julia."

The Light Ordinal took a step back in utter shock and disbelief.

"How... what...I don't understand. What are you doing here Ar... Cardinal?"

"You must stop this fleet from progressing further Julia."

"I can't Cardinal. Noor needs reinforcements. As it is, Yuki has obliterated her entire navy and most of her air forces are malfunctioning because of the blizzard."

"She's frozen the lands as well?" asked Aria in surprise.

"Yes Cardinal."

"Then you must re-route. I fear that her temperature manipulations are too severe for me to recalibrate on my own. Within the hour, the south Atlantic ocean will not be a safe place for anybody." When Julia looked blankly at her, Aria gave a long sigh. "She's creating a massive whirlpool. A tsunami to wipe out the entire African continent."

When Julia gave a loud shriek of horror, the other Angels in the same command centre immediately shut down all their operating systems and began a frenzied rush to instruct the other ships to do the same.

"What now, Archangel?" said Julia, her voice trembling slightly as she raised her eyes to look at Aria.

"We're expecting company," she replied instead; her eyes turning to the landing deck where three Angels had just landed. Aria didn't need to look clearly to know who was amongst them.

The broad, handsome face of her Metal Archangel appeared at the door a moment later.

"Just what in the world made you stop..." he trailed off mid- sentence as his eyes rested on Aria; her wings of suspended water droplets trailing behind her. He couldn't even begin to describe his awe at actually seeing a Water Angel, much less an Archangel.

Just hours ago, he had contemplated the idea of losing his wings for her and now she was standing, as an immortal in front of him, as though nothing had ever happened.

"Zilarrezko..."

The Metal Archangel blinked once and took a step back. Instead of responding to her, he turned to face Julia with a solemn expression on his face.

"Why have you stopped Julia?"

The Light Ordinal relayed to him the information that Aria had told her earlier. He made no effort to look at Aria to even confirm what Julia had said. If Zilarrezko was doubtful, he made no show of it.

"We will fly to Noor to warn her then," he replied. "Julia, I need you to be on standby to activate the air fleet at my command. We have no other choice but to deploy air strike."

Zilarrezko didn't wait for anyone to respond for he turned his back and strode out of the room with Marcus.

Aria was still staring at his back when she felt cold fingers touching her arm.

"Cardinal." The melodious voice of Andhera shook her out of her thoughts. "Are you coming with us?"

Black and blue eyes looked straight into the onyx depths of the Dark Archangel's.

"Ehren is spreading a blanket of Darkness over the southern regions of Africa. We must evacuate everyone before the flood takes over in the darkness."

"Chaos," whispered Aria.

Andhera nodded. The two Archangels looked at each other, as though an instant understanding had just transpired. These were two women, forced into a role they were never ready for and like two lost ships; they found solace in each other –as strangers or as enemies.

A faint smile tugged at the corners of Aria's lips. "Let's take flight."

***

Zilarrezko already had a head start on the flight towards Africa, leaving Andhera and Aria to catch up with him.

Down below as they flew across the Atlantic, Aria could not help but sense the rapid swirling of water dying to explode and spill across the land constraining them. Despite being a Cardinal Archangel, she felt helpless as there was no way she would have been powerful enough to reverse the mess that Yuki had started.

Gaia may have given her muscle memories and she might have been able to manipulate water within the other elements but nothing this massive.

To control a whirlpool wasn't just about controlling the water or the metal salts within them; it was also controlling the temperature above and beneath the water surface. Aria didn't think she could do it all on her first try.

And even if she could – she was bound to make a mistake and instead of saving lives, she might actually cause the death of innocents.

"Aria..." whispered Andhera. "Look."

Just north of the forming whirlpools was a massive block of mist just settling itself west of the Sierra-Leone coast. Considering the temperature of the region, mists that heavy and massive was not possible.

Frowning, Aria tried to squint to see through the water particles. Something was tugging at her and she couldn't understand why. It was as though whatever hidden beneath the mist was calling out to her.

"Andhera... why don't you continue towards your destination? I'll check this out and catch up with you."

The Dark Archangel was shaking her head; partly out of fear and concern. "No, Aria... it might be dangerous! We can't afford to lose our allies now!"

"No... no I think it's okay... Don't worry. This is my element remember? Even if I was engulfed by the ocean, I won't be killed by it. Trust me, Archangel."

Andhera looked doubtful but she didn't protest this time. Aria was right. What could possibly threaten the Archangel ruling the oceans?

"If you do not reach us by sunset, I will come back to look for you," she said decidedly.

Aria nodded; wings tightened slightly to allow her descent. It was as if she was expected to be there but she didn't know for what.

The water molecules parted effortlessly as though she was slicing right through the mist. It was still rather thick that she couldn't see what was underneath but she had sensed two very intense power sources gnawing at her.

Making sure that she was fully covered by Illusion, Aria descended as quickly and as quietly as she could; feet silently touching the metal tip of a ship.

And what she saw stunned her.

A massive fleet of destroyers and battlecruisers spread in formation in front of her; fully deployed but simply laying low as though waiting for orders –orders which were currently being held back due to a stalemate happening on board the commanding ship: Between a Snow Ordinal and a Light Ordinal.

There was something odd about the standoff from Aria's point of view. The two looked as though they weren't sure whether to kill or hug each other and the confusion was creating static tension between them; something that even she could feel from a distance. She now understood why Lucian had not been on Julia's ship as he had originally told her.

Something important was happening on this ship.

Lucian held his arrow taut between his bow, the tip glowing with energy. On the opposite end, the Snow Ordinal held a harpoon of pure ice, aimed directly at his throat.

"Get off my fucking ship," she threatened even as her voice remained impassive, laced with ice.

Lucian made no move; his eyes glowing ember in anticipation of an attack.

Aria did not know who the Snow Ordinal was but the warning bells in her head told her that she needed to intervene before she lost either of them. There was a knowing within her that these two Ordinals would be important to her in the future.

Still under the guise of Illusion, she stepped between them; their weapons precariously close to touching her skin. As soon as she dropped her façade, she used her physical self as a waterfall partition to separate the two.

"Cardinal!" hissed Lucian as he withdrew his weapon immediately. He would have reached out to pull her to his side except that she was pure liquid, non-concrete to the touch.

Turning to face the Snow Ordinal, Aria simply raised a finger to her iced-harpoon and allowed it to evaporate into the misty air around them.

For a moment, no one dared to move; eyes all on Aria.

Then it happened. Something snapped into place.

The entire ship manned by Snow Angels got on their knees, with the Snow Ordinal in the lead, their wings no longer taking any form of ice but bared to the palest white down as a mark of their acquiescence to her as their Archangel.

Keeping his confusion and awe to himself, Lucian held his weapon close even as he stood beside Aria who was now standing in her true form. The Snow angels may be in a surrender stance but he would not take the chance, especially when Aria was offering her hand to the frostbitten Ordinal to help her to her feet.

The animosity did not go unnoticed.

"Tell me your name Angel," said Aria as the Snow Ordinal took her offered hand.

The iced venom in her eyes died as she shifted her gaze from Lucian to Aria.

"My name is Chióni." A hesitant pause. "It appears as though my allegiance is now to you, Archangel... Aria."

Beside her, Lucian was murderous.

"You have got to be kidding. You're the enemy. Nothing you say has any worth to me. For all you know, this is all a charade!"

"Lucian," came the gentle warning. "I know you feel it deep inside you too well to know that is not true," said Aria. Turning her attention to Chióni, Aria asked her to brief them as to Yuki's plans.

There was no hesitance in her voice this time as Chióni brought Aria and Lucian through the details of Yuki's attack strategy.

"She plans to completely annihilate this side of the continent," said Chióni, aware that Aria was looking completely calm despite the seriousness of the situation. "I'm afraid she has no thoughts of sparing any of us at all."

Alecrire
Alecrire
291 Followers