Lost Angels Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ikay
Ikay
356 Followers

"You Julie? Cooled down? When we reach the joint I'm talking about repeat that statement again."

She giggled deliciously. Out of the corner of my eyes I saw her pick up the perfume bottle on top of the dashboard.

"What's this?" she asked.

"A new product. Like to try it out?"

"Sure."

She sprayed a shot on her palm and held it to her nose. The next second she slumped forward and her head hit the dashboard with a resounding bang.

I smiled. I'm going to have another great time tonight.

Tony's Residence

July 12, Saturday,10:42

Alex took Caesar to see Tony. He lived in a run down part of the town in a shoddy two room flat. He was very pleased to see them and even happier to hear that Caesar was a script writer rehearsing ideas for a Jack the Ripper like home movie.

"So you would like to see the photo's?" asked Tony eagerly.

"That wouldn't be a bad idea" Caesar said casually.

"Hold on for a minute, let me fetch them".

He disappeared behind a filthy curtain that covered the door to the bedroom.

Alex winked at him.

"Told you it will work."

Caesar smiled and told him to shut up. Tony returned promptly, holding a brown manila envelope plus a plate of apples.

He presented the envelope to Caesar like it contained the Beria Papers.

"Witness evil at it's purest" he said dramatically. Caesar eyed him thoughtfully.

"You don't get off on these, do you?" he asked suspicously.

Alex chortled then joined him on the settee. Caesar opened the envelope and pulled out the glossy prints. They both peered at the pictures and grimaced. They were horrible all right.

They showed the remains of the four victims from every conceivable angle. Caesar stared grimly at the prints trying to pick out every sick detail.

Tony had studiously labelled each of the photos and there wer about six different close up shots from different angles of each of the victims. He would label them in this way:

Shot 1, Victim 1; Shot 2, Victim 1; Shot 3, Victim 1; Shot 3, Victim1; Shot 1, Victim 2 and so on.

One thing was apparent from the photos: the wounds escalated with each victim

Victim 1 was stabbed a few times though parts were missing. Victim 2 had double the number of stab wounds and it continued in this way to Victim 6. They were fifty stab wounds on that victim. All the victims had essential parts missing.

"Well it seems the wounds increase with each victim," he commented.

"Yes" agreed Tony.

"What do you guys think?"

"The other cops thinks it's the work of ritual killers."

"Why should the victims be stabbed so many times if it's just the parts that the killer or killers are after?"

"My own view exactly."

"You think it's a serial killer, right?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Because the killings look pointless. Why kill young women like that? It doesn't make sense."

"Maybe someone wants to disrupt the security of this town" suggested Alex.

"Then why not kill someone important?" asked Tony stubbornly, "Why women?"

Alex shrugged helplessly.

"There's also something else" Tony continued, his tone increasing in gravity, "Now this is all confidential information and I'm just disclosing it because Alex here is my close pal. Those victims weren't just stabbed and cut up. They were raped."

"Raped?" echoed both Caesar and Alex.

"Yeah. Sperm was found on all the victims after a doctor did an autopsy on the bodies."

"So," Caesar said heavily, "These women were stabbed, cut up and raped."

"Yep."

"This is becoming sicker every minute" complained Alex.

"You guys must be dealing with a very very sick person" Caesar commented to Tony.

"Now do you believe me when I say this is the work of a serial killer?"

"Yes," agreed Caesar, "No ritual killer rapes his victims."

"You guys are calling this sick?" asked Tony smiling, "I haven't told you the sick part yet. Those women were raped after they were killed.

"What?" the two friends chorused again.

"The doctor reported that rigor mortis had actually set in before they were violated."

"Oh God" moaned Alex, "I don't think I want to hear anymore of this."

Then it must be a serial killer" said Caesar with finality, "This is utterly diabolical."

"Thanks for finally coming over to my side. You are enlightened enough to know the truth. Why shouldn't it be a psychopath? We copy so many things from the westerners it shouldn't come as a surprise if one of our own decides to emulate Jack the Ripper."

"Unless it's one of the foreign workers that are behind the killings" suggested Caesar dryly

"That's possible too" agreed Tony, "But I don't think so."

"So there is no clue that can lead to the killer?" asked Caesar urgently.

"Not even a footprint. The killer is smart. He covers his tracks completely.""Hasn't any of the victims been identified?"

"Nope. Facial features were mutilated beyond recognition. All the bodies were found naked so even their clothes couldn't be used. This guy thought of everything."

"What about Missing Persons?"

"Nothing. None of them were women."

"So these victims have no friends and relations or what?"

"I can't understand it. Maybe the killer researches into his victim's background like a real serial killer."

"So these are cases of premeditated cold blooded murder?"

"Yeah. I like that too." He laughed and chomped down on an apple. Caesar wondered how he could be in possession of such gore and still maintain a healthy appetite.

"There's got to be an explanation for all this " Caesar said his face screwed up in thought. Alex gave him an amused look.

"Shh," He said to Tony, "Sherlock Holmes is thinking."

Tony chuckled and continued to nibble at his apple.

"Aren't you guys still interested?" he asked raising the plate of apples" There's plenty for everyone"

"Are there crocodiles in the marshes?" asked Caesar suddenly.

"Excuse me?" asked Alex in surprise.

" A few" replied Tony. "Why?"

"How come the killer only dumps the bodies near the marshes but not actually inside them. He doesn't want the body to sink and disappear and he probably doesn't want a crocodile making a meal of the bodies."

"So? " asked Alex curiously.

"So that means the killer wants the body found but at the same tine doesn't want it recognized by mutilating it."

Tony was watching him with interest. "So what are you trying to say?"

" I don't know. Too many things don't make sense. There's something else here. All the stab wounds are not of the same size."

"What?" asked Tony incredulously.

"Some of the wounds look bigger than others. Like they were made with different sizes of some sharp weapon."

"You looked hard enough at those things to notice that?" groaned Alex in disbelief.

"Is the killer carrying a set of knives or is it a group with different sizes of weapons?" suggested Tony.

"Your guess is as good as mine. How is it that he always manages to pick a victim even though by now every girl is Kebby Creek must be watching over their shoulder. I suspect the victims might know the killer."

" Know him?" asked Tony surprised.

"Yes" said Caesar, "And trust him. That's why he can pick up his victim so easily".

" What makes you think he picks them up easily?" demanded Tony.

" Because there are no reports of a scuffle, right? If the victims are prostitutes then maybe the killer is a regular patron."

"We are not sure if they are pros." Tony pointed out, "Why do you like hinting that?"

Caesar bit his lip. He'd better be careful with the young cop. He was razor sharp.

" Just a hunch. But let's say they are. He could lure them with money and some empty promises just to get their trust."

" Even if you're right how can the police track him down? Every oil worker in the town uses the services of the call girls."

" Except me!" objected Alex, " At least not since I met Isabelle".

Caesar eyed him malevolently

" So you say."

" Find a girl and settle down, Caesar, it might do you some good."

" Even if I do I don't think she'll come from a town like this. How would I know I'm not married to a mermaid?"

" Why should you care? Mermaids are pretty aren't they? And at least you'd be sure of plenty of sea food." He guffawed loudly.

" Let's keep focused on the case" Tony interjected.

"The same advice goes to you, Tony" continued Alex changing target, " you are more interested in dead girls than in living ones"

"At least the former don't talk back at you" said Tony evilly.

"My goodness! " exclaimed Alex, "I'm in the midst of misogynists,"

" I'm not" Caesar objected " I just don't have the patience for them."

"Neither do I, " agreed Tony cheerfully "I just don't like them."

"Are you batty?" asked Alex suspiciously.

" No look at it this way. You may not like going to the loo but you have to do it, right? I treat women basically the same way."

" Oh my God."

" Maybe we should go back to the topic at hand, " said Caesar hastily " I don't think delegates at the Beijing conference will find our discussion amusing. How far have the police gone with cracking the case?"

"To put it bluntly we're f---. The D.P.O. is screaming for results and he promised us hell and brimstone if we don't give it to him. The oil workers are harassing him and so are the locals. The tension in the air can only be cut with a chain saw."

" Not good. Not good at all."

" Not good? It's worse. If my own theory of there being a serial killer is right then this means the killings will go on and on and on.. Which means this town is a keg of gunpowder with a very short fuse."

Suddenly a beeping sound came from his pocket. His mobile phone was ringing. He hauled it out and answered the call. Caesar and Alex witnessed his crestfallen expression. He put the phone away.

"There's been another murder. A body was found around the same spot. Same wounds except this time the chick's head was cut off."

The Marshes

09.06

There was a huge crowd at the crime scene when the trio got there and the Police were having a hard time controlling them. Tony went off to do his work with a promise to give them an update and Alex and Caesar joined the crowd.

Then Caesar spotted her. He did not know why only her should suddenly capture his attention from the rest of the crowd. She just popped into his vision and for some reason he could not get his eyes off her.

She was tall and judging from what her slip dress suggested, extremely muscular. Her skin was ebony black and gleamed with sweat. She was slim with taut features right down to her legs that looked powerfully built. Her face was rather long but oval, her nose a bit big and her black lips were drawn tight. But the most interesting features were her eyes. The whites were slightly amber, the pupils as black as midnight. They reminded him of those that belonged to a leopard he had once seen at Bristol Zoo. They were cold, wild and utterly ferocious. Automatically a shiver ran up his spine and he knew he had to meet this girl.

It took him some moments to weave though the crowd but finally he found himself standing next to her. Up close she looked even more imposing, like he was standing next to a panther.

She had not noticed him. Her eyes were fixed on the scene of the crime.

"Terrible isn't it?" he asked casually.

"What?" she asked startled, turning sharply towards his direction. The full glare of the eyes hit him and for a brief second he was unsettled. There was definitely something unholy about those eyes.

"I mean the murder," he said uncertainly, "what the hell is this town turning into?" "Oh", she said laconically and turned back to the scene.

She didn't look at him again and he began to feel a little foolish but he wasn't done yet.

"I wonder who could be behind all this?" he asked, hoping his question wasn't rhetoric.

She turned slowly again to face him. For a full three seconds she stared at him and once again he felt that shiver go up his spine.

"Do you really want to know who's responsible? She asked softly. Her eyes never left his and they were giving him goose pimples.

"Er.... Yes."

"They are. They are responsible for their own doom. Now God has sent his Angel after them and there is no escape."

Caesar looked at her in astonishment.

"Excuse me?" he asked totally confused.

She smiled. A cold, wintry smile that chilled him to the bone. Then she turned and walked off hurriedly into the crowd.

"Hey" he called out urgently, "Wait a second. "

But she was gone.

Sandy's Bar

09:45

Later on in the afternoon Caesar decided to go to Sandy's Bar. Alex said he had some things to do at the office and had to leave him to his own devices. He met the barman polishing glasses. At such an hour no one else was around.

"You work here throughout the day?" Caesar asked pleasantly as he boarded a high stool.

"Throughout the day till Sunday" came the gruff reply. Even at such an hour the dark glasses were on.

"There's a myth that if you want to know what goes on in a town you know nothing about look for a successful bartender and he will enlighten you."

"Do I take it that you want some information from me?"

"That's the general idea."

"What do you want to know about?"

"What do you know about the Kebby Creek killings?"

Caesar saw the barman's facial features freeze over like the Antarctic.

"Sorry, I don't know anything about that." The tone was icy.

"There must be something you know no matter how little it is."

"What are you, a reporter?"

"Yeah."

"Can I see some I.D please?"

Caesar flashed his News Day I.D.

"Satisfied?"

"Nice newspaper but unfortunately I can't help you."

"You don't know anything about the victims?"

"No."

"Were they prostitutes?"

"I said I don't know."

"No organized prostitution racket?"

"I think you've gone too far this time", the barman said in a warning tone, "I think it's time for you to leave."

"Don't get so hyped up" cajoled Caesar. He leaned forward with conspiracy in his eyes,

"There's a lot of money involved in this."

"How much?" the barman asked suspiciously.

"N80, 000"

"Just for information?"

"You won't believe how important this is."

"Well, I don't know..." The tone was uncertain.

Caesar fished out a white card from his breast pocket.

"If you have anything to offer you can get me at that number."

"Alright then."

"See you around."

Caesar hopped off the stool, nodded curtly at the bartender and walked swiftly out of the bar.

Back in Alex's place Caesar lay on the bed in the guest room submerged in thought. Normally every night before he went to sleep, immediately he closed his eyes, his mind would automatically go over the day's events, playing them out like scenes from a movie.

He remembered the day he had thrown his resignation later in the face of the editor and strolled majestically out of the office. He had enjoyed it alright but had it been wise? Such actions would make him unpopular and to be perfectly honest with himself, he didn't want to be a maverick. He never enjoyed making a scene but once he was over the edge he went all out to cause a commotion not caring who got burnt in the process. Of course later on he would regret his actions.

Then there was this matter of a mysterious late night call which he should have paid absolutely no attention to and because of which he had traveled a very long distance for information that didn't even exist. Obviously it must have been a plot by fraudsters to take his money as he left the bar. Or was it? Maybe they had changed their minds when he had exited the bar with Alex and Tony.

But supposing the call was genuine? Then why didn't the caller show up? Why pick him of all the reporters in Nigeria for that kind of scam? The matter confounded him utterly.

What a coincidence that he should meet Alex in that bar that very night. They hadn't seen in years. Isabelle. For some reason he didn't trust her. He liked her but he didn't trust her. It worried him that he wasn't sure he could even trust himself. Isabelle was the ideal temptress, able to make you do things you didn't want to do with just a flicker of her long lashes. He prided himself that he could resist any daughter of Eve but right now he wasn't sure of himself.

He didn't know what his plans were. Maybe spend a few days with Alex while he decided what to do next. He could even try his hand at some business...

Edwin's melancholy train of thought was suddenly interrupted by a high pitch scream, which caused an outbreak of goose pimples on his skin. He sat up quickly, his heart hammering loudly against his chest. What the hell was that?

His first thought went to Isabelle. He wondered what had made her scream like that. It was too bloodcurdling to be a rat. Maybe armed robbers had broken in and they were now molesting her. He did not find that suggestion amusing.

He dived out of his bed and went straight to his bag. Unzipping it, he dipped his hand to the hidden compartment that held the cash and his Browinng 9mm automatic pistol. Puling out the latter, he made sure it was loaded and snapped back the safety catch. Then pulling a robe over his nakedness he gently opened the door and slipped into the corridor which was swamped in darkness.

He knew the couple's room was to the left. As he threaded barefoot across the soft rug he wondered what Alex was doing. He had not heard a sound from his friend. Had something happened to him? Maybe the locals were already attacking. There was probably a mob outside now getting ready to burn the bungalow down.

He wasn't a stranger to such a crisis. He had lived in Warri once and such happenings occurred at the drop of a coin. He remembered sitting alone in his room listening to the exchange of gunfire between ethnic forces sounding as if they were sitting on his roof top. He swore to himself that if the couple was in danger he would empty the automatic defending them.

Their bedroom door was ajar. He stood still for a moment slightly confused then the scream came again almost making him drop the gun. Pushing the door open he rushed in, brandishing the Browning menacingly. Immediately he regretted his action.

Isabelle and Alex were sitting on the bed both without a stitch on. Alex was holding Isabelle from behind trying to calm her down. He was talking soothingly into her ear. There was a demented terrified look in Isabelle' s eyes.

"Sorry, Edwin" Alex apologized sheepishly, "Isabelle is having a fit. It's quite normal. It's just that.... " Suddenly he noticed the gun in Caesar's hands and his eyes nearly fell out of his head.

"What the blazes is that?" he demanded.

"A gun. "

" What's it doing under my roof?"

" What do you think?" asked Caesar, suddenly annoyed, "I found it in my wallet. I thought hoodlums were doing a number on Belle here so I thought it might come in handy."

" Get out."

"Good night, Alex. Sweet dreams, Belle."

She didn't answer. She was staring at him like he wasn't even there.

He went back to his room feeling like a complete idiot. But it wasn't really the embarrassment that bothered him. It wasn't because he had seen his friend's wife in her birthday suit that bothered him. What bothered him was what he saw on the under side of her left breast.

A tattoo. The tattoo of a Black Widow Spider.

St. Peter's Catholic Church, Kebby Creek

July 13, Sunday, 11:39

It was a damp Sunday morning and Caesar had asked where the local catholic parish was. Alex had given him directions and since it was nearby he decided to stroll there. The mass was interesting and he found the officiating priest amusing.

The last blessing was given and the crowd trooped out of the church premises. Suddenly Caesar saw her again. The strange woman at the murder scene who had spoken to him in riddles.

Ikay
Ikay
356 Followers