Lost at Sea Bk. 01 Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Have you sailed before, Miss Bella?" Kaduska asked.

"Only once, when I came here," she replied. "I admit, I did not enjoy it much."

Kaduska nodded sympathetically. "The ocean is untrustworthy and demanding, as are many people who ply it." Kaduska pulled a number of small chests from beneath a table. "We start with a lockbox. Always sturdy wood. Always sealed with resin or tar. Never fill it with more weight than the box itself weighs."

"That is very specific," Bella said, kneeling down to look at the box, "Why?"

Will answered. "If the ship wrecks, or there is a mutiny and you want to get off the ship in a hurry, your lockbox can be tossed overboard without sinking."

"Is that something that happens a lot?" Bella looked worried.

"No, hardly ever. Sailors live and die by preparation and contingency plans though," WIll said gravely. "You want to be ready for the worst and not needing to rely on anyone. When things go wrong on the water, they go wrong fast."

"Your whole life will be in a box, so it is best that it be a good box, yes?" Kaduska grinned. He was gathering a pile of goods. They looked like normal personal items, but smaller and more sturdy. A brush, a mirror, a block of soap in a small box, a tailoring kit, a pair of scissors, a salt and soda mixture and a small brush for the teeth, a folding knife, a sling-satchel, and a number of other things that Bella did not recognize. Will added a few more items to the pile.

"You will need clothing as well." Kaduska said. "A full-length skirt like yours would be quickly ruined on board a ship."

"This is a lot like what I wore last time I was on a ship," Bella said looking down at her skirts and blouse, confused.

"As a passenger?" Kaduska asked, sounding like he knew the answer already.

"Well, yes," Bella replied.

"This time you'll be crew," Will said. "It's very different."

"Alright, what kind of clothing do I need?" Bella asked starting to look at the neatly folded piles of clothing on Kaduska's longer tables.

"Whatever you wear needs to be able to endure getting frequently wet and not retain salt or moisture. In needs to be loose enough to move easily, light enough to dry quickly. Ship clothes should be durable and able to be easily repaired with needle and thread. Close fitting without trapping saltwater against your skin. You'll want a set of cold weather gear and storm gear too." Will answered.

"I'm beginning to feel like I am already in over my head," Bella said, feeling a bit daunted by how much she obviously did not know.

"You probably are, but you'll learn to swim fast. You have lots of help. I wouldn't have dragged you into this if I was worried about you," Will smiled. "Kaduska, get her everything she needs. Spare no expense and bill it to me," he handed the merchant a small list. "I'll need these things as well. Have it all delivered to the docks. Ask for Captain Vex's ship. Tell the quartermaster it's my personal effects. Janie will settle up with you before we leave."

Kaduska took the list and scratched his beard, thinking. "Some of this I do not have on hand. It may take a day or two."

"That's fine. We don't leave for a week." Will said, heading toward the entrance.

"Where are you going?" Bella asked. Her monkey subtly deposited a silver locket into her hand. She silently passed it to Kaduska. He blinked at it for a moment, then stared suspiciously at the monkey. It stared back.

Will smiled at the small battle of wills. "I have a meeting, remember?"

12