Lost at Sea Bk. 01 Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well don't you look awful," Bella said cheerily. She started unpacking her basket. Bread. A wedge of cheese.

Janie came out of his office. She seemed a bit preoccupied the the paperwork she had in one hand. The other hand had a pitcher of water. "He started flagging about an hour ago. Thanks for bringing lunch."

"Of course," Bella smiled, "I was planning on coming by anyway. Kaduska asked me to bring the invoice for yesterday."

"I'll take it," Janie said setting down the pitcher. Bella handed her a few sheets of paper and Janie added them to the ones in her hand. She turned and went back into Will's office.

Bella watched her leave, an odd expression on her face. Will didn't notice. Bella made a gesture and muttered something under her breath. A number of previously invisible sigils on the ceiling lit up. Bella felt a small, strange jolt run through her. It wasn't unpleasant, just surprising and odd. Janie turned and looked sharply at Bella. "What was that?"

"Just a divination. I wanted to make sure Will was alright, and you too," Bella said, looking up at the ceiling, her surprise and worry plain on her face.

Janie nodded. "Thank you. I'm fine. He's just tired. He'll feel better after he eats."

Will was slapping some cheese to some bread and putting it in his mouth, chewing slowly. "I'm fine," he muttered.

"The room is warded to detect spellbinding. There's also a feedback trap added to them, so be careful what you cast in this room," Janie said.

"Good to know," Bella said. Janie closed the office door.

Bella smiled to herself and poured some water into Will's cup. Then she drank it herself and refilled it. She pushed a meat pie towards Will. He took it and ate it in four bites, and drank some water. Finally he sighed and put his forehead down on the table. "Thank you," he said.

Bella ruffled his hair. "Guess you had too much fun last night?"

"Guess so," Will said, still face down. "Seemed fine at first, but I'm just not used to late nights and early mornings anymore. Too long living soft, setting my own schedule."

Bella made a ticking sound with her life. "Can't keep up with those younguns anymore?"

Will made an unhappy grunting noise, but didn't move.

"I picked out a satchel for Janie," she said. Will heard her pull something else out of her basket and set it on the table. It sounded vaguely bag-like.

"It's red," she said. "I'm putting it in your sideboard."

Will nodded into the table. "Thank you."

"You bought it. Kaduska added it to your invoice," Bella said. Will grunted again. His head was still pounding.

Bella rolled her eyes. "Why don't you go take a nap? You have most of an hour left,"

Will thought about saying no. He wasn't much for naps most of the time. Today, though, that sounded fantastic. Rolled his head into the table a bit, then pushed himself to his feet. "Thanks again."

Bella had a mouth full of bread and cheese so she just waved him off. He trudged out of the room and up the stairs.

Bella finished her lunch and sat in silence in Will's library for a few minutes, thinking. Finally she shook her head, picked up what was left of the bread and cheese and went and knocked on the door to Will's office.

"Come in," Janie's voice came from inside. Bella opened the door. Janie was sitting at Will's desk surrounded by papers.

"I thought you might want some lunch too," Bella said, setting the food down on the desk.

"I appreciate that. I'll eat once I find a place to stop," Janie said. She still hadn't looked up from her work.

"Janie, it's alright," Bella said gently.

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean." Janie's quill continued it's work doing sums and adding lines to the budget she was writing.

"You and Will. Last night. It's fine," Bella said in the same gentle tone.

12