Love and Anthropology

Story Info
Young doctor's experience with female initiation rites.
4.9k words
4.5
93.7k
19
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

May 7, 1922

My pen shakes as I write these words, my mind and body exhausted from what I have just witnessed, my spirit exultant in discovering the pleasures never before imagined in my experiences. Despite my doctoral degree in anthropology, nothing in my brief, but fulfilling academic career, or my studies in the Saru Islands, prepared me for what just occurred. I know Professor Wilson was hesitant to send such a young woman to conduct these studies, but an old man could never have unlocked or document the secrets that I have!

As I have described in this journal, I was invited to attend the sacred ceremony for my young friend, Malo, to make her transition into womanhood. I am fascinated by the differences in how matters such as maturity and mating, even sexual intercourse, are dealt with by the people of these South Pacific islands. Although we westerners are burdened by polite society and rigid decorum, there is no secrecy, no avoidance of the subject, no matter how young the children are. Matters are discussed among all, male and female, without shame. It was with great anticipation that I learned that I could attend, and delighted when Malo asked me to accompany her in the place of honor! I wanted to see for myself this very important aspect of Saru culture and now would be assisting her in it!

The language barrier, of course, is difficult, but I am learning more and more each day. On the day before the ceremony, Malo told me that she was to visit the medicine woman's hut to begin the process of transformation, and that I could accompany her. We climbed the steep hill, passing other villagers who offered hearty congratulations to the girl and who remarked how they looked forward to the ceremony. Malo would smile shyly and look down. At this point, I did not know what the ceremony was like, but it seemed that the village was really looking forward to it!

We arrived at the hut of Perlei, the respected medicine woman of the tribe. It was dark inside and smelled of fragrant herbs. The old woman took my hand and graciously invited me inside. Malo helped to explain to me what Perlei was saying. She told me what the ceremony entailed and how our visit today was for the medicine woman to make sure the girl was ready for the responsibilities that came with the transition to adulthood.

Malo was about to become a woman and could become a partner with any eligible male on the island. Although the Saru did pair off and establish a partnership, sexual intercourse was not strictly restricted to those in partnerships; it is not like marriage in the western world. The Saru were very uninhibited in these matters and believe that pleasure is an important facet of life. The ceremony was to initiate Malo into the realm of adult pleasure. I was a bit shocked to learn that Malo would have intercourse in front of the villagers with a holy man from another village whose job was to initiate young women in this ceremony. Was this the mythical virgin slayer in tales of yore? After the ceremony, Malo would be allowed wear her dress with her breasts exposed, signifying she was eligible for partnerships or just a sexual encounter, if she wished.

The old woman began with an examination of Malo, her physical attributes and readiness for womanhood. Malo slipped off her dress and stood before Perlei. Although the Saru do not formerly count or acknowledge their age in years such as other civilizations do, Malo would certainly have been older than 18. Her breasts were large and firm, with large dark brown areole. Her hips were wide, and her skin so smooth. Perlei ran the palms of her hands over the arms, hips and breasts, grunting her approval.

At her request, Malo lay on a mat on the floor. Perlei pushed her thighs aside and examined her almost hairless genitalia. Malo didn't seem embarrassed but slowly opened and closed her eyes, and must have been experiencing the pleasant sensations coursing through her body.

I saw Perlei slowly stroking the top of Malo's vaginal area and watched the clitoris grow larger, jutting through the fleshy labia. I moved closer to watch what was going on. Perlei dipped her fingers into a jar of an oily substance which smelled of hibiscus flower and begin to stroke the outside of the labia. Malo closed her eyes and arched her back, opening her legs wider. Perlei softly told her that it was important that she feel the sensation that would be the climax of the ceremony the next night, that she not be afraid and look forward to it. She would be torn somewhat when the man's penis entered her, but the sensation would be so pleasant that she must not shy away from it. Looking at Malo, I did not doubt that she would go through with it!

Perlei stroked the vaginal area until the lips because fuller and more turgid. Malo began to moan and thrust her hips towards the old woman's hand. Her vaginal opening oozed a slick liquid, the smell mixing with the flowery aroma. I held my breath as Perlei took her thumb and began to massage the bulging clitoris. My own nether regions were throbbing watching this intimate interaction. Malo was panting in rapid, shallow breaths, her hips rising and falling rhythmically. Perlei took my hand and placed it on Malo's breast, indicating that I should stroke the nipple. I reached over her and began to stroke both of her nipples, feeling them harden beneath my fingertips. Malo trembled and her hands clutched the mat beneath her.

Perlei's thumb circled the protruding clitoris, increasing its speed. Malo's panting turned into a low, steady moan, sweat glistening in between her breasts and along her fleshy stomach. I could not take my eyes away and could believe the throbbing in my own loins. Her head fell back and a loud cry escaped her lips, steady for a full half minute. She fell hard back against the mat and Perlei removed her hand, slick with the oil and Malo's juices. Malo's legs twitched for a moment, then she lay silently. I was transfixed by the scene.

Perlei bade me stand up. She grasped my arms and looked at me seriously, speaking rapidly. It took a few moments, but I finally understood that she was concerned about what I should wear to the ceremony. My outfit of khaki shirt and shorts would not do. She reached into a box and pulled out a native wrap for me to wear. She had me remove my clothing, even my undergarments, and pulled the colorful fabric around my torso. My white skin stood out in contrast next to the nut-brown hues of islanders' skin. Perlei wanted me to wear the dress below my breasts like any other mature island woman, but I protested, not feeling comfortable in this situation. She smiled and said that by the next evening, I would feel differently.

It was hard for me to sleep that night. I felt very anxious and excited about the ceremony. I would learn so much about these peoples I had come to respect. But I also had feelings that I couldn't place, I knew that pleasuring myself and giving into my carnal instincts was wrong for a well-brought up western woman. Nevertheless, it left a void inside me that I couldn't explain.

Since she had no older sister and her mother was an invalid, Malo insisted that I take the place of honor at her ceremony and help her with the ritual. On her initiation day, we climbed to Perlei's hut again, with me walking awkwardly in the unfamiliar dress. I felt self-conscious with the fabric clinging tightly to my hips and breasts, wondering if everyone could see that I wore no undergarments! Villagers called out their best wishes for Malo, even their approval of my costume! Despite slight embarrassment, I perhaps also felt flattered at the attention.

In the clearing next to the hut, the villagers were gathering and preparing for the ceremony. They all had on beautiful flower garlands. A bonfire was being prepared in the center. A tall, muscular man whom I had never seen before, wearing a ceremonial headdress, stood off to the side. I expected he was the holy man about to provide the ultimate pleasure, not only for my friend Malo, but for the enjoyment of all watching.

We entered the hut and Perlei and I helped Malo don the beautiful ceremonial dress that Perlei had made for her. It was wrapped tightly around her waist, exposing the shapely breasts. I couldn't help myself; I stroked Malo's breast and told her how beautiful she looked. Malo's smile glowed brightly in the dim room.

Perlei took a jug and poured a liquid into three drinking cups. She gave one to each of us and told us to drink quickly. I found the liquid was slightly sweet and reminded me of gin. I immediately felt a bolt which traveled from my throat to my loins. I must have looked surprised, because Perlei patted my hand and said, "This will do you good." She then explained that this is a very special potion for virgins to experience their ceremony in the right frame of mind and not to fear it.

The time had come for the ceremony to begin. The drumbeats grew more insistent. "Are you ready for your voyage to begin, Malo?" Perlei put her hand on her shoulder. Malo wavered a little on her feet, but smiled broadly as she put down the glass.

A intricately decorated straw platform sat near the door of the hut. Malo was instructed to sit on it and lean back on her elbows. Two strong young island men came in and lifted up the piece. I walked behind a few paces and emerged into the clearing. It was filled with just about all the adult inhabitants of the island, in colorful wraps and some with feathered headdresses. A cheer went up as the Malo emerged. The crowd parted, but just barely. The men slowly carried Malo through the crowd. Hands shot out from either side as Malo's family, friends and neighbors began the ritual by caressing her newly exposed breasts; it brings the highest level of luck to those who touch the flesh of a young virgin about to learn of the pleasures! Malo arched her back, reveling in the touch of a many hands as she made her way to her destiny.

I felt some hands touching me, too, as I made my way, a little unsteadily, behind the litter. I couldn't believe how the throbbing in my loins matched the cadence of the drummers. I felt dizzy, yet elated. The crowd pressed in behind me, all following the young beauty.

The bearers of the platform finally broke away from the adoring throngs and came out into the center of the clearing. She rose, and stood alone by the bonfire. I slipped off into the shadows at the edge of the crowd to watch. I found a large, low rock, warm and mossy, and I lay on top of it, my knees about to buckle. The moisture seeped into my dress and warmed my skin. I felt very flush.

A conch horn sounded from off to the side. The crowd parted as the holy man stepped into the circle. The drums and other horn instruments struck up a throbbing tune and rhythm that was impossible not to move to. He began a dance that was just hypnotic to watch. He wore the briefest of loincloth, which seemed to bulge more and more. He danced closer and closer to Malo, giving off a heat that she must have felt. She began to sway, then to dance, a shimmy from her hips, the traditional dance of the virgin.

Two women, also in ceremonial costumes, came into the circle and began to sing and dance. They made their way over to Malo and stroked her hair and breasts. They began to unwrap Malo's dress and expose her exquisite body to the crowds. Malo breathed heavily, but the thrust of her hips gave away her desire. The crowd murmured their approval, their admiration for her beauty and her obvious state of arousal. The women continued to dance around her and touch her. They stroked her body, closer and closer to her downy genitals. She moaned audibly as fingers dipped into her swollen flesh, and lips clamped around a nipple, suckling audibly, hands roaming over the moist flesh. The holy man danced around them, chanting, but watching the women intently.

The woman, still dancing, led Malo over to a post in the center of the circle, with a little ledge on which Malo could lean, but still keep her legs spread, her inner woman displayed and prepared for the final act. A now familiar jar of oil that smelled like hibiscus was brought forth and one woman dipped her fingers in and spread it on the engorged fleshy genitalia of Malo, causing her to moan very loudly and jerk her hips towards the source of such intense pleasure. The other woman took the staff with which she was dancing, adorned with thick bird feathers at the tip, and stroked Malo's body with it. As it passed over her mound, Malo cried out from excitement and frustration, very close to reaching the zenith that was now within reach.

I couldn't breathe for the intense, raw power of carnal pleasure displayed in front of me. I realized that my own hips were thrusting into a protrusion in the warm rock at the same rhythm of the drums. I felt like I was floating, but I couldn't take my eyes off Malo and what the women were doing to her. Suddenly, I became aware of someone's hand on my back. I froze. A soft male voice said, "Don't turn around, watch them." I didn't turn, and felt comforted as the hand softly stroked my back, and down over my dress to my backside.

Malo was panting now, thrusting her hips more and spreading her legs. There was no mistaking the shiny juices glistening between her thighs. With a dramatic flourish of the drums, the holy man turned to Malo and with one motion, untied his loincloth and flung it away. His penis was erect and very large, shining in the flickering light of the torches. I gasped out loud. With a very subtle beat of the drum, he inched closer to Malo until the tip of his penis touched her swollen labia. He spoke the words which all Saru men use to request permission to have intercourse with a woman, "Do you wish to feel how you make me a man?" Malo opened her eyes wide and said in a clear voice, "I want to feel the power of the fire in the mountain." The holy man inserted the tip of the his penis into her vagina, but did not move in any further. The drum beat increased. Malo wrapped her legs around his hips and with one motion, thrust herself up onto the length of his penis, with a moan like a sing-song chant. The holy man let his head go limp on his back and opened his mouth soundlessly. His thrusting hip suddenly stopped and the drumbeat ceased. They were motionless, just the lift of their shoulders in time to their labored breathing. "This is the pleasure of life," the holy man declared in a loud voice. "All who witness the power of life will find their own pleasure!" As the young woman clutched him with her legs still wrapped around him, he began to thrust his pelvis back and forth, driving his engorged penis in and out. Malo found his rhythm and pushed herself against him at the same pace.

I had forgotten about the villager behind me until I felt a second warm hand caressing my back. I started to twist around to see who it was, but his hands held me down firmly when I tried to turn. "Watch and feel it" the voice insisted, now very close to my ear, his warm body covering mine. I relaxed and allowed the hands to continue caressing me without protest.

The drumbeats had picked up pace and intensity. The pelvises of holy man and Malo were forcefully meeting in an ever increasing rhythm, both grunting, their eyes closed, their heads leaning back. Malo gripped the man's arms and began to tremble, her mouth opening and animal-like noise overtaking the sound of the music. Her release was explosive. The holy man grabbed her and with one last mighty thrust, emitted his own yell. They collapsed on the ground. The women who had pleasured her earlier came to their sides and helped them up and replaced Malo's wrap and the holy man's loincloth. Some older women placed beautiful flower leis on them and helped them to the platform to recuperate.

I was slack-jawed in awe of what I had just witnessed. The music didn't diminish though, and I noticed there were pairs of villagers in embrace on the outskirts of the ceremony circle. Many had disrobed and I was shocked to see some engaging in intercourse! I then remembered my secret companion; I felt his hands sliding up my leg under my dress! As much as I was enflamed by what I had just seen, I felt compelled to not let my basest desires affect my judgment.

I quickly turned over before he could stop me and saw who my suitor was. It was Naru, a young fisherman I saw frequently plying his nets on the volcanic shore. Many adolescent girls giggled incessantly when he passed by; there was no question his handsome face and youthful body were in demand by the eligible young women in the tribe who had already been initiated into adulthood. The sight of his strong torso and undeniable protrusion from the brief cloth around his waist melted my initial objection to his far too familiar touch. He smiled broadly at me and leaned over, pressing himself onto the length of my body against the mossy rock.

"You must take your pleasures now! Do you wish to feel how you make me a man?" he said, softly but insistently. I stammered, "But Naru, I have not yet been initiated!" He lifted his head away and looked puzzled. "Women from northern lands do not take pleasures?" "Yes, they do, but they have a mate chosen and do not take their pleasures until they marry, and then with no others." His frown deepened; his hand covered my breast. "Do you not want to take pleasures with me, to honor your friend Malo as is traditional for the sister of the newly adorned woman to do?" I didn't know about that aspect of the ceremony! This information somehow dissolved the last of my objections -- how could I not follow the traditions of the ages and possibly not show proper respect to the woman that considered me her sister!

"Naru, is this allowed, to give pleasures to a woman from the northern lands?" He thought for a moment. "We have never had any outsider women... just a few white men, your priests. They have frequently taken pleasures from our women." He leaned closer again, his hand seeking the fastener holding my dress closed. "If you accept me, I will show you what the pleasures are."

I felt his fingers open the fastener and the fabric slide away from my skin. As shocked as I should have been that I was now naked in front of a strange man, I couldn't subdue the intense feeling that I had to do this. His erect penis softly poked me on the thigh through his loincloth, his knee nudged my legs apart. I could feel my body want to open up and receive all the pleasures he could give me. I couldn't help but arch my back and push my willing flesh against his.

I was then startled to see Perlei standing beside the rock, smiling with the few teeth still left in her head. She bent over us, whispering closely in my ear. "You must take your pleasures with this fine young man. We would be honored to initiate you. Do you freely take this man to be your first?" I answered softly, "I want to feel the power of the fire in the mountain." Perlei gently pushed Naru aside, and stood close to him. "You won't need this," and removed his cloth wrap from around his waist, exposing his smaller, but thick member, without much hair, so erect it pointed upwards. I was transfixed by it, by the power it represented, by the throbbing insistence in my loins that he impale me, over and over again, with it. Where did this feeling come from?

Perlei turned towards me and brought forth the jar of magic ointment that drove Malo mad with desire. "This will inflame you and your man in ways only the gods of seas are entitled to." She dipped her small hand into the jar and covered her fingers with the soft, flowing substance. I willingly opened my legs to expose my womanhood to her ministrations. The first contact made me inhale sharply, the slight sting unexpected. Then the spreading warmth invaded my being, causing me to lift my pelvis to greedily beg for more. She took my labia between her fingers, gently but firmly pulling them outward, massaging the magic ointment into the swelling flesh. She inserted one, then two fingers into the opening of my vagina, testing the hymen and coating the entrance with the oils. I could feel my muscles contract, as if they sought to pull in the small probes. The vibrations in my loins traveled up my spine, spreading in my torso, enveloping my breasts. In my mind, I shamelessly begged for hands, tongues, penises, to descend upon me and take me to this wondrous destination. She stood aside and gave Naru a little push. "She is ready for you."

12