Love Note Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BaalatErotas
BaalatErotas
243 Followers

"And what do you call what you did?" he chuckled softly. "Your f-bomb nearly detonated -- and you threatened to drag me out of here."

"Would you have?" She turned her face up to his. "Followed me, I mean."

His hand lowered to caress her shoulder blade. "What do you think?"

Her eyes darted around the large room.

Thandi was checking her phone. Khosi was with her crew, going over the shots they had so far. Ana knew this didn't mean they were safe to touch each other as Leo was touching her, but she couldn't bring herself to tell him to stop.

His hand lowered to her hip, gently squeezed again then was gone.

It was brief contact -- not even enough to raise most eyebrows, really -- but it was enough to send warmth through her veins. She looked out the windows at the burgeoning clouds and no longer resented their presence; now she wished the summer rains would just fall already and wash away her feelings.

It took two hours for Khosi to get all the shots she wanted; whilst sticking to questions about Moyo and Dream Reality -- surprisingly insightful questions. And, as Ana had predicted, once the features writer applied herself to piecing together Thandi Moyo's rise in the entertainment industry, her eyes took on a new respectful light. Thandi had an impressive track record.

Leo was also friendlier once placated. And informative about his motives for coming back into music to support the gala. He spoke of his love for creativity. But it was mention of his sister that froze the entire room. Ana reached for his hand again when she learned of his sister's illness and subsequent passing; along with the care the wish fulfilment foundation had provided her and the family.

"I had made my mind up never to touch music again -- but Thandi helped me see how much this gala would honour my sister's memory. This is me thanking Dream Reality the best way I know how for all they do."

It was with admiration that Khosi shook everyone's hands at two o' clock and instructed her crew to pack up.

***

Leo headed over to Karma.

Ana spent the rest of the afternoon confirming the week's interviews; then tried to spend time with Laurika to monitor her supervision of the press release drafts and social media updates, but Leo wouldn't let her. Seeing his name flash on her phone screen two hours after his departure made the rest of the office recede to the background of her consciousness.

"Hello?"

His words were clipped. "Come. I need you."

Thandi crossed her arms in puzzlement as she watched Ana tap her Uber app and grab her handbag before hurrying off.

The clouds felt lower somehow, the sun out of sight now yet still tangibly close. That was the only explanation for the heat of the blood rushing through her veins. Four simple words had her rushing through summer to a man she had told she did not want in her bed, let alone her heart.

Apparently there was no time that Karma was not busy; even a Tuesday afternoon was not immune to the stampede of Gauteng's luck and entertainment seekers. The cab driver followed her directions to one of the side entrances to the master theatre... where Ray awaited her with a smile.

"How did you even know I'd be...?" She didn't bother finishing her question.

"I'm here to assist you -- to do that, I have to make it my business to know when you're here or need anything." He bowed slightly. "Anything at all."

"You know you creep me out a bit, right?" she muttered as she passed him.

He snapped back up, eyes alarmed. "I do?"

The band was running through a new song when she walked into the master theatre.

Kyle was sitting in the front row, watching the progress with his usual happy ease. Eric was a little more intimidating to take in -- marching across the stage, circling behind the band, barking orders, threats and praise with each step. The enormous space filled with the sound of upbeat soul and playful, jazzy rhythms.

Leo was easy to spot. Or hear rather.

Ana heard the deep timbre of his voice rise smoothly just as she walked through the set of back doors. As she approached the front row of seats, she spotted him stage left; still wearing his black jeans and blue shirt.

Sindi was right by his side.

The first notes he crooned were so familiar, she had to pause and put a hand to the tightening knot in her stomach. It wasn't that she'd ever heard the song before, more that the tone of his voice and the emotion in it conjured up an instant, uninvited memory: Leo, naked; his fingers in her hair and his cock down her throat... moaning.

The first verse of "Love to Give" blurred by like a secret spell.

Kyle grinned when he saw her and beckoned her over. Just as Ana took a seat beside him, Sindi joined Leo in the chorus. The tightness in Ana's stomach twisted, so she concentrated on keeping a straight face. The flawless girl's voice was sweet and high, the perfect contrast to the resonance of Leo's rough rumble. They were so engrossed in each other and fitting their voices together that they seemed unaware of their colleagues -- let alone Ana's entrance.

"Can you believe this is their first project together?" Kyle whispered hoarsely, barely keeping still in his seat. "It's like they were made for each other."

On the bridge, Sindi's voice rose, sending goosebump ripples through the enormous room. Even Eric was still by then and the band seemed to be finding its flow. She began to dance to the light tempo, her feet not missing a beat.

When Sindi took his hand, Leo smiled down at her. His feet were planted wide and he playfully tugged her closer while merging ad-libs with her lines. There was no doubt why Eric had suggested her... nor why Leo could be falling for her.

Who are you kidding? He is falling for her. Others already know it.

A giggle slipped into the end of her next line and Leo wagged his finger at her without missing a note in his. When she playfully ruffled his hair in an effort to mess with his composure, Ana rose to her feet.

"Where are you off to?" Kyle looked up at her in surprise.

"I need to go."

"But you just got here."

More laughter mingling with the music on stage.

Ana turned her back on the two singers. "Yeah, I know -- but Thandi needs me."

His brows knitted. "But I thought Leo needed you."

"Just tell him I'll catch up with him later, okay?"

She grabbed her bag and stepped past him. When the music suddenly stopped, she picked up her pace.

"Anaïs?"

Shit.

Leo's voice felt like it filled the space even without use of his mic. Ana stumbled her next step, but didn't stop. She felt stupid ignoring him.

"Anaïs, come here."

"No!" The good thing about still being in her heels was that the sashay added to her march pissed her off enough to make that single word sound assertive and steady.

She didn't care that she was being unprofessional and still had no idea what Leo needed. She'd done a lot in her first week; enough to nearly kill her -- he'd just have to survive without her for a couple hours. Just until she could meditate on seeing him and Sindi like that for the next three weeks without a damn knot at her centre cutting off her oxygen and peace.

By the time she heard the elevated footfalls they were too close. She considered running, but barely trusted her own walk in that moment.

Leo placed his palm at the edge of the stage and hopped down right beside her.

Bastard's done that before.

"Leo!" Sindi's tone was indignant.

He grabbed Ana's arms, forcing her to a standstill, but his eyes were already turning back towards the stage. Ana couldn't think of a single time he'd ever been brought to a stop by her voice.

"What?" he asked.

Sindi crossed one leg in front of the other, her slender frame elegant. "Our rehearsal..."

Leo exhaled through his nose. Ana could tell that he wanted to run his fingers through his hair -- but also wanted to keep her trapped. His hands were firm on her arms -- and reminded her of the night he'd balanced her on her feet when she couldn't manage it herself, and then scooped her up into his arms.

She turned away, but he wouldn't even allow that. So, it was her eyes alone that sought the door while her heart still faced him.

"I'm busy, Sindi."

"With the help? You do know we don't have much rehearsal time, right?"

The help...

Ana spun on her designer heel, her immediate instinct to take the impudent diva-child down a notch. But Leo moved before she did. One hand came up to the back of her neck and curled gently there. It was as if he knew before she did that she would turn and his hand would land there. What she couldn't tell was if the grip was possessive or protective -- and it didn't last long enough for her to figure it out.

In the next instant Leo grabbed her hand and marched back towards the stage, ignoring her resistance as he tugged her behind him.

Will, who was closest to Sindi on stage, quietly stepped away.

"A word, Sindisile." He didn't raise his voice -- which kind of sounded worse than shouting.

Sindi had the sense to look cautious as she headed down the stage steps then came to them. Ana didn't want to be near the girl as a fresh swirl of annoyance and self-questioning rose within.

"There's a lot I could say about respect and equality right now, but I won't." Leo's gripped tightened unconsciously on Ana's hand right before he yanked her a step forward. "What I will say is that you have Anaïs to thank for the existence of a gala that will not only help kinder souls than you, but is also trending enough to give your fledgling career a big boost."

"I know the gala is important and Ana works hard, Leo." Her eyes were as hard as her words were soft. "I just meant she's not in this song and we had a nice flow going."

"I said you have Anaïs to thank."

The master theatre was designed to take a lot of sound. Apparently it could hold a lot of silence as well.

All the other people in the space watched the confrontation, not a single one made a move. Ana wanted to erase the last hour; wanted to snap back to the Moyo offices and not answer Leo's call. More than anything, she wanted a break from being the misfit who needed the popular guy to stand up for her; a break from being the flame the ice queens were constantly trying to put out.

"Thank you, Ana..." Sindi's eyes were on Leo. "I'm honoured to be a part of this event you're assembling so amazingly on such short notice."

Ana couldn't take it anymore. She put her free hand over Leo's tight hold. Surprised at the touch he look down at her, his fingers loosening. Freeing herself was immediately possible and that is what she chose before turning her back on both of them.

"Ana!" This time it was Kyle who found his voice.

She carried on walking, her heart a compressed wrecking ball trying to destroy her from the inside. Eric barked something and the band immediately stumbled its way into a new tune. Then footsteps again.

Leo easily fell in step beside her. "What are you doing?"

She rounded the corner heading out of the theatre main space, relieved to see the exit ahead. "Heading back to work."

"But this is your work."

A few more metres and she'd be free.

"You will answer me, Anaïs." He grabbed her hand again. "What's wrong?"

She carried on walking for as long as he wasn't using his strength to still her yet. "I am not one of your charity cases, Leo."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Sunlight. Freedom beckoned through the windows high above the side doors. But she was not free yet -- far from it. And it wasn't only because Leo was now pulling her towards a corridor that led backstage. Not because it was dim there and no exit doors were in sight...

His fingers interlaced with hers. He was dragging her from her determined exit now -- but had been pulling her closer and closer to him since day fucking one.

In the deserted corridor, she squared her shoulders and faced him. "I'm not like everyone else."

He folded his arms. "You already know that I know that."

"No, you don't get it." Her finger pointed first at him then at herself; her pretty manicure making her feel a little off-kilter. "I don't fit in, but I know who I am. I like that I'm really good at being me... And I don't need you or anyone else to jump to my rescue and force anyone to be nice to me. That girl's arrogance bothered me far less than her disrespect to this industry. For every arsehole in it, there are ten of you keeping it real and good -- that's all I really care about. What matters is that we try to keep up-and-coming arseholes from losing their way when guided by their ego and ignorance; not that we force the outcast into VIP circles. My reaction was to punch her or help her grow -- both of which were pretty satisfying options. You turned it all into a pointless pity party."

He stood watching her. There was a lump in her throat and she wasn't sure that all her words had made it out. Her eyes shone, she knew -- and she wished confidence were the cause instead of tears.

If nothing else, let the dimness of this quiet corridor hide the tears and the tremors...

His hands were gentler when next he touched her. He pulled her to him; watched as she shook her head yet came anyway. In heels, her forehead was perfectly aligned with his lips -- and the kiss he placed there. Or something like a kiss. His lips remained there as he held her, his hands occasionally squeezing her to him, sometimes circling in imperceptible caresses.

"I made Sindi apologise because I respect this industry, too," he told her. "It pissed me off that she doesn't see all you've accomplished here and what it takes out of you."

"She's young, Leo. She'd probably name some pseudo-American newbie as the definition of Mzansi sounds and go cross-eyed with confusion at the mention of Letta Mbulu or Caiphus Semenya." She looked up at him. "Give her time... Or let me punch her."

"Imagine if we brought up Mahotella Queens or Miriam Makeba," he smiled.

"Or Johnny Clegg." Her eyes had a different shine now. "Or PJ Powers."

"Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Or Jimmy Dludlu."

"Mango Groove."

"She'd ask if that's a tropical cocktail," he mused. "Imagine... Chopin."

The lightness of the moment evaporated. "He's not South African."

"I know." His arms around her felt warmer. "I was just thinking about the difference between a girl who doesn't really understand the depths music can plunder... and a woman who's spending her life wrapped in it. Who wears it on her very skin."

Her eyes closed. "I have to go."

He squeezed. "No."

Her chest would smash open soon and she did not want him to see her heart.

"Why did you call me here, Leo?"

The touch of his lips to hers was definitely a kiss.

Not just because his tongue was so urgent and so familiar to her, but because he made her feel like the rest of the world no longer existed when they were like this. And it didn't exist, nothing else did. He held her at the centre of his focus and within the orbit of his arms.

Drums. A new song was starting up on stage and the drums taunted her racing heart's beat.

Ana's hips pushed forward, her fingers disappearing into his hair. When he grabbed her arse and pulled her tighter against him, she groaned. A little voice of caution called her back to her senses; warning against violating her own resolution to keep things professional, and reminding her that she was in the arms of a man she could not afford to be caught kissing...

Leo felt her fingers tighten in his hair and let her pull his lips from hers. The molten gold in his eyes never ceased to fascinate her -- she'd never been desired like that before.

"We can't keep on sleeping together."

"I had no intention of stripping you naked around the corner from my band."

"And I don't do --"

"I know."

The seductive music notes made her wish they were having a different conversation.

"What did you call me here for, Leo?"

His gaze slowly blinked to her lips. "I just showed you -- but if you're still unclear, I'd be happy to show you again."

That snapped her spine straight. "You made me rush over here for a kiss??"

"You rushed?"

"Gods above, now I have to wait for another cab. Do you have any idea how much I still have to do today?"

"A lot, I imagine." He was trying not to smile. "This makes you rushing over even sweeter."

"You said you --"

"And I meant it -- I did need you."

"You just said this is work!"

He cocked his head. "I work very hard... to pleasure you."

"Please me."

"Both."

Lighter notes. The keyboard. Ana remembered hearing this song whilst skimming through the backtracks compilation Kyle had sent her the night before... It was more devastating live.

"I don't love you."

"Was that for me?" He watched her, unshaken. "Or for you?"

Her brow creased. "I already know it."

"We're both clear then." His stare was a searing challenge. "So, you're... safe."

Was she? "Yes."

"No more sex; no love." He touched a finger to her chin and gave her another peck before wrapping her hand around something. "And I've been purged from your system. Good for you."

He left her there; heading back to the sensual sounds and vibrant energy on stage. Leaving her holding his car keys, the bloody keys to his very expensive car.

"I am not driving your car, Boreas!"

He pushed the thick swinging door that opened onto the rear stage area. "Of course you will -- fair trade for wasting two hours of your time, sweetheart."

Ana stood there with her hands on her hips until he finally disappeared from sight without ever looking back. The light outside no longer appealed to her. She wanted to duck the breeze's curiosity and curl up in the dimness where no one would find her; where she could sit in stillness with her rules... and her unsettling questions.

*** VII ***

Leo wanted to go home. But he also didn't want to.

What most people didn't realise was that he actually enjoyed all parts of music. He loved performing live; the journey from concept through rehearsal to stirring a crowd. And he lived for making music; finding unspoken words and new sounds that best explain to the world who he was.

But there were also the tiring parts -- the rules, the expectations, egos and duties. The networking -- like racing back to the city at midnight to meet with that French producer who wants to give a private preview of her latest beats. Like counting down ten breaths when Eric's little protégé tried his patience.

Like trying to close his eyes without seeing Anaïs' sexy floral heels and the way they made her legs... Damn it.

Chaos made him appreciate the peace of his secure estate and the privacy of his home. For the first time in five years, however, he also did not want that specific privacy. Not without Anaïs there, giving him that intrepid look he liked. Not without her luscious lips and bold questions that made him open up more than even he expected to.

He enjoyed uncovering the nuances of her all-or-nothing presence: Anaïs Kem had spent the weekend toppling his towers with the tips of her fingers; all he thought he understood about women, companionship, contentment, flirtation... love. She'd demolished it all.

And what did he have to offer in return? Life under a microscope and a relationship that would be treated like the latest trending show. Melissa had hated it. Rightfully so.

No one deserved that.

He shook his head. No time for getting lost in his own head. Home would have to wait another hour anyway.

"... so it was either this or acting -- but no one was willing to negotiate half-day shoots on any of the soapies I wanted to star in and..."

Sindi was in the backseat of Kyle's SUV, nearly an hour into talking about herself. Kyle was keeping her company to a degree, in between glances at his pensive friend. Soon they were back in the city and heading towards Fourways.

BaalatErotas
BaalatErotas
243 Followers
123456...8