Love of Horses Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Great thank you."

Sipping coffee before setting off, having picked a lightweight two-horse aluminum trailer on a steel frame, Kate called the ranch.

"Craig Mountain Ranch."

"Hi Sammy. How yer doin'?"

"Sammy is doing very well now that he's talking to you."

"I'm on my way home for two nights."

"Yippee! So I'll have you in my kitchen again."

"Oh big deal. There are other people you'd rather have in your kitchen old timer."

"Name just one?"

"Well set a plate for me for dinner. I should be there by 6:30. I'll be taking it easy because I don't wish to overheat the engine of Old Yeller."

"I'm real happy to set you a place at the table."

Kate asked to speak to her mother but was told she was taking wire and posts out to the boys and would be out of cell phone range.

Kate said, "I wanted to ask her if I can take Cool Lady back with me."

"Why ask? The sorrel is your horse."

"She's a ranch horse. Only mom and my uncles actually own their riding horses, allocated as new foals on rotation."

"That rotation as you call it includes me. If you remember you were breaking your neck to breed you own horse and you carried out your selection and it was my turn to take the next foal your filly arrived first and I gave her to you, giving up my turn of ownership."

"Omigod I never knew that. But why?"

"Because you were my little darling."

Kate froze momentarily and then asked casually, "You often have called me that. Why?"

"It began when I was put in charge of you whenever your mother wanted to ride out. You were very tiny. Then later I'd talk to you, you'd smiled and then really smile and gurgle when I called you my little darling."

"Okay but why that particular expression?"

"It's what I'd heard grandmothers say when holding an infant."

"And is that the only reason?"

"Yeah is this some kind of game?"

"Are you certain there was no other reason?"

"All these questions Kate. What's up with you?"

"Nothing."

"Oh if you must know you were very cute when you small and until your cousins began arriving you were the only kid I actually knew. Yeah so that's another reason for you."

"Tell mom I'm on my way home to collect my horse and to be told who my father is," Kate said and cut the call.

"Oh god," she winced, as she fired the engine, knowing she should have not have asked Sammy to relay that daddy thing to her mom.

"Grow up Kate," she snarled and was about to hit the gas pedal when she remembered the Wrangler was hooked up to the trailer and she was in a 10 mph speed zone. As she passed the gym she boggled when she saw almost half of the big group of students at the finish of morning classes turn and wave at the old yellow Wrangler.

God many of them weren't equestrian club members!

She hit the horn and almost everyone waved.

Yes she was becoming something of an identity although she'd not intended that.

The big thing that happened was when the four of the team in the hunter riding group had been jumping fences over low heights under her supervision to practice technique and timing.

Looking very friendly, Rick Flavell had suggested innocently the team would like to check her style jumping a much higher fence.

She had smiled and said it was a lesson and not a circus Rick and he bleated that the team would jump better if she set the standard. She was completely suckered.

Usually there were perhaps up to fifteen student spectators watching but on this occasion there were at least fifty and heaps more were streaming over at a gallop, er running. She should have thought set up but was focused on preparing to jump.

Two females ran over to set up a higher jump leaving Rick holding the horses.

He'd said she was required to ride wearing a helmet and handed across his. She didn't need to adjust it and he alleged that some of the girls thought she had a big head and that fired up Kate. She knew which mount to select, Congo, a tall gelding that had been donated by a cross-country enthusiast when he retired from the sport.

She mounted and rode Congo in a long figure of eight to get him used to her weight and for him to determine the rider was no bunny. Then she skipped her jumping discipline by not riding Congo up to the jump so they both sighted the first jump and set their minds. Well she was mad at the big head allegation and Rick had said the jump would be set at 5 ft. She knew the ground was flat, dry and smooth and that Congo could do that height yawning.

Kate began her approach at a leisurely pace and when focusing yelled "Oh Jesus." She should have pulled out but instead coaxed Congo forward and told him buddy this is big and signaled that thought her body and of course Congo had eyes. They cleared it but Kate was sweating. She mashed her teeth and turned and galloped back to rip into those three idiots. But then she remembered some of the dumb things she'd done setting up her mom and her uncles.

She looked up at the hillside astonished and saw perhaps 300 students standing and cheering as she heard Rick on her bull horn turned up to full power announce, "Ladies and gentlemen, you have just seen our cute 18-year-old riding supervisor Kate John set a new clear-jump height record here at Patrick at six feet."

She'd arrived back at the office and looking at Ralph's face knew the news had already reached him. He said he ought to kick her ass and then grinned and said she was a greenhorn to allow them to set her up. She admitted to that and he laughed and said her punishment was to get the coffee.

From that day almost everyone would know who Kate John was because within half an hour she was front page on the university's online newspaper under a banner heading, 'New Patrick Record'.

A magnificent photo showed her 'applying great technique taking Congo over the 6 ft jump'. The blurb giving details about Kate ended by describing her as 'undoubtedly one of the most exciting and hugely talented instructor in any department at Patrick in decades'. When reading that last bit she'd shrieked in total embarrassment 'oh no.'

Ralph, who's already read the splurge, almost fell out of his chair from laughing so hard.

On another occasion the electronic newspaper ran a poll to find the personal transport vehicle on campus projecting the best personality. The narrow winner with 7668 votes, 319 votes ahead of a lowered hot-rod with amazing paintwork, was Kate John's Old Yeller.

Heading for the highway north, Kate knew two things were constant in her life for a girl who thought of herself as half-orphaned. There was her love of horses and Old Yeller, a name suggested by Sammy when they argued over her tentative name of Rosie. He'd scoffed and said Rosie was a professional name favored by hookers. Kate had wondered how the hell would he know that but suddenly she'd favored Old Yeller over Rosie. She always thought optimistically, providing there was gas in the tank Old Yeller would get her home.

While still musing she decided Sammy was getting on. While she was home she should record in his mind her special affection she had for him.

* * *

Kathleen came into the kitchen, her wet hair from the shower slicked down, and she wore a tight shirt and very tight new jeans and her boots were highly polished.

"Are you going out?"

"Kate is coming home you old fool. What time did she say?"

"Is your memory a sieve? I told you she said she would be home in time for dinner at 6:30 and would stay a day and then take her horse back with her in the trailer she's towing. Will you let her have that horse?"

"It's her horse thanks to you. Listen she will probably be on again about who's her father. She didn't say that was one of her reasons for coming home did she?"

"No," Sammy cheerfully lied. "I like seeing your tits prominent like that."

"Well you've been at me too many times after you've said that the first time you randy bastard," Kathleen said, pulling her shirt out to hang loose. And I've told you not to you use the word tits to a woman."

"They don't mind when they get sexy."

"Well that's different. Remember the pact we have: we never will reveal who is her father."

"Yeah I did promise didn't I?

"Sammy stop winding me up. You know you did. I'm asking all the families over for a drink after dinner to welcome her home."

"Welcome her home? She's not been away long."

"I've missed her," Kathleen said and began to bawl and put out her arms to be hugged. "You know this is only the third time she's ever been away from home."

At 5:50 Sammy went into the sunroom and shook Kathleen awake.

"What?"

"She's coming. I looked out and saw dust rising on our access road."

"Omigod Sammy she's coming, my baby is coming home."

Sammy went to the kitchen grinning and sat with his feet up on the table reading a magazine article about what retirement aged women do for entertainment. He read with new glasses that Kathleen had paid for after making him have his eyes tested by a skinny bitch with glasses who asked him all sorts of crap and then made him go almost blind by putting drops in his eyes. He almost had two accidents driving home and lied and told Kathleen no the eye tester hadn't said he must not drive before four hours after the drops were administered.

The kid pulled right up outside the kitchen and Kathleen came in screaming, "Why is she coming to you first?"

"I have no idea," he yelled back. "Perhaps she knows I never hit her."

"Bastard," she yelled and seconds later was saying in a honeyed voice, "Hi darling, omigod it's so wonderful to see you again."

"Mom I've been away three weeks."

"I know dear but you are so precious to me."

Sammy groaned and then grinned when he heard the kid ask, "Where's Sammy? And Kathleen asked, "Why are you asking that" and was told, "Because he's family."

Seth, John and Ted arrived after dinner with their wives and kids. The uncles were all over Kate because they'd missed her abusing them even better than her mom did and the unbelievable way she could ride in weak moments when she decided to show-off. ' The aunts arrived hoping they'd see Kate in a dress and wearing girly earrings at last but were disappointed to see the same old jeans and boots but a new shirt. They whispered and agreed their niece didn't look like a young woman who was engaging in very regular sex.

The seven nephews and one niece greeted Kate shyly, all being younger and aware she was one tough bitch.

* * *

Kate drove off two mornings later at dawn with two horses in the trailer. She was crying in happiness. It had been such a happy time for her.

The previous day her aunts and uncles had cleared the largest almost empty hay barn and put in extra lighting and invited families from around the district to come over that night to say hi to Kate who would be training the Patrick University Western team and taking them to compete over two semesters in the Intercollegiate Equestrian Society show competition.

More than 200 people arrived because they knew good food and liquor would be piled up, bringing some themselves, and Kate would put on a bit of a show.

Kate learned of this function when girlfriends called to welcome her back home and saying they'd be over for the big demo that night.

She was appalled to be told she was putting on 'a bit of a show'.

Uncle Seth, the biggest of the brothers, saw Kate coming and at a gallop and grinned, "I'll handle her boys."

Kate was off her horse before it stopped and banged a punch into Seth's chest and made him gasp when she sank a right into his belly.

He grabbled both her arms and said, "I'll bite your tits if you hurt me."

Kate thought about that and slowly backed off.

"You fools. I don't put on public exhibitions."

"We're proud of you," John said.

Ted the quick-witted brother said, "It's a fund-raiser. Okay we'll call it off."

Kate was skillfully hooked. "What sort of fund-raiser?"

"All proceeds go to your old pony club's tack room."

The other brothers relaxed and Kate sighed and said, "Well that's different."

Cool Lady had come up to her. She mounted and said, "Don't skimp on the booze like you usually do assholes. My aunts can always be guaranteed to provide high quality food when any of you have a party."

She cantered off.

"Whew, that was a close one," said John. "Thanks for saving the day Ted."

Seth also thanked Ted who scuffed dust and said. "Aw shucks."

Vehicles began arriving in the fall twilight and the brothers briefed thirty of the drivers to line up facing the barn some distance away.

The party got underway and an hour later the big TV screen was turned on and a DVD converted from old 8 mm film began running and the lights dimmed.

"This is Kate on a couple of days after she turned six on her first ride at our local Pony Club," said Seth, commentating.

"The club's minimum age was and still is eight years and in those days my late mom was life member of the club founded by my late great-grandmother. But there was no need for mom to pull rank to allow Kate to join under-age. All the committee members knew Kate could ride like the wind and jump low hurdles and could groom her pony faultlessly."

"We now are watching a clip showing Kate receiving the club open championship cup at the age of nine from club president, her mom Kathleen John, who became the youngest-ever member to win the club championship when she was thirteen. God my sister was so proud of Kate for that huge achievement. Usually the winner is at least eighteen, the age Kate is today."

"Kate sorry for doing this to me; you can wallop me later. I contacted Kate's boss at the equestrian department at Patrick University to find if there was any film or photo of Kate from their resources. He said very little at present but he predicted there would soon be heaps more because my niece Kate will lead their drive to get their first Zone win and then take a team and individuals right through to the Nationals. I asked what would he be doing and he laughed and said watching and praying. He's the coach, Kate is the only other trainer and is called a supervisor and cannot coach because she doesn't have a degree but can give advice and any question. Sneaky eh?"

Everyone laughed.

"This is a photo of Kate jumping a 6 ft high fence at the university's equestrian center, setting a new record. The previous highest was 5 ft 2 in. She was suckered in to make that jump and riding a retired jumper by the name of Congo. Great name eh?"

Seth said that jumped Kate from an unknown at the university to become a somebody because that picture and story appeared an hour after the event on the university's online newspaper and stayed on view in that position for four days. He then described the poll to find the university's personal vehicle deemed to project the greatest character and it boiled down to a head-to-head between Kate's old yellow jeep and a rich kid's really fancy hotted up car. "Here's the pictures of Kate's Wrangler she calls Old Yeller as some of you well know, and this is Jimmy Black's car. Both received well over 7500 votes and female voters brought Kate home by a nose."

"Right Kate has gone outside warming up her two mounts. She hates riding as a show-off but my brothers and I will be taking buckets around soliciting generous donations and all proceeds will be donated to the tack room at our local pony club. Now fill your glasses and go outside and remember to donate generously while waiting to see the two short acts."

Drivers in the thirty cars switched on their headlights and kept them on low beam to avoid blinding the spectators.

Kate came down the track at a canter riding the Paint bareback and in bare feet, standing like circus ladies who ride like that but on horses with much wider backs.

Everyone cheered and she came back having turned without slowing and people clapped as Seth's voice boomed out, "The Paint is one of Kathleen's horses and Kate trained it to barrel race. Because she is chocolate and cream her name is Chocolate Ice. Neat eh?"

Some guys pulled out two white gates and attached them to temporary posts already in place at a measured distance apart.

"Now Kate will have a saddle for this event. You saw her jump a six-foot fence on a hunter bred and trained to jump. Well tonight you are to see what Kate can do on her cow pony she bred when she was ten, choosing the stallion and mare. I remember asking her why she choose those two particular horses and she said because they were probably the best two horses we possessed. I thought about it and had to admit to myself the kid was right. Dad was still alive then and we were running eight-four horses and you can guess, I'm sure, the only one of us who could instantly identify all eight-four. Why the hell Kate was a bit slow at school I'll never work out."

"Okay here she comes, do nothing to spook the horse folk. Kate's jumped higher on Cool Lady but never at night."

Kate and horse went over the first two gates perfectly and on the return Cool Lady just clipped a hoof and went over the last gate perhaps six inches clear.

The crowd went wild.

And then as Kate loped back on Cool Lady to begin cooling her down her mom took the bullhorn and said, "Well you have seen part of my daughter's capabilities as an astute and very capable horsewoman. I'm so proud of her. Tomorrow she returns to Patrick and taking Cool Lady with her. Kate, can you hear me?"

Kate waved, slowing Cool Lady.

"Kate take Chocolate Ice as well and train the most talented Western riding kids in barrel racing to increase their level of horsemanship even if they never compete in that tough discipline. I'm giving Chocolate Ice to you."

Kate blew her mom a kiss followed by a delighted scream. The crowd cheered and her mom invited everyone back inside to eat, drink and socialize. Kate returned thirty minutes later and went up to her mother and kissed her and said, "Thanks for your wonderful gift."

Kathleen kissed and hugged her daughter and sniffed.

Kate whispered, "Who's my father?"

Kathleen remained calm. "Sorry darling I shall never tell you. I entered a pact not to tell you."

"Well don't expect grandchildren. I suspect one of my uncles is my father and therefore I would be wrong of me to breed with that type of bloodline."

Kathleen looked shocked at the mention of no grandchildren. She whispered, "Darling, I swear to you, your father is not one of your uncles, my brothers. God what did you think I was?"

"Thanks mom. I believe that."

In bed that night Kate thought she could never ask Sammy if he were her father. If he wasn't the shock of being suspected of that could devastate him. She must back off; at least she now knew she could bear children without that cloud of uncertainty hanging over her. It had been worth coming home just to find out that.

Kate rose at 5:00 next morning and drove out to load the two horses.

When she arrived back she found Sammy almost had her breakfast ready. She checked on her mom and heard the shower running.

Kate hugged and kissed Sammy and the poor guy looked all soppy.

"You know I love you," she said, as he pulled away and said the beans were ready.

"Yeah I know it's something like that," he said. "As a kid you use to follow me around and sometime that made your mom mad."

"Kindness brings rewards."

"Is that from the Bible?" he asked.

"I have no idea. Sammy would you accept my invitation, known only to you and me, to be my honorary grandfather?"

The poor guy had to sit and almost missed the chair.

After some chat he got used to the idea and said it would be a great honor to accept.

They hugged and Kate had just returned to her chair when her mother sailed in.

"I'm sad you're going but I know big things lie ahead of you that you won't achieve here. When I wish to call it a day will you come back to run the ranch? My brothers would probably vote you in."