Love On The Side

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Late in July, just about a month before the baby was due, about the only thing talked about in the town was Tillie's pregnancy. Though there was some division in thoughts over it the majority of the town showed their disapproval in one manner or another. Those few people who did support her, with a few exceptions, preferred to stay out of the discussion fearing the wrath of the town upon themselves. Tillie and Laura found themselves virtual pariahs in their own hometown. They had discussed moving to a town where they were not known however Laura was against running away from the problem. She also said people would find out in any town and it would all happen all over again anyway.

One Sunday in mid-August when Tillie was at mass and going to communion someone was overheard by the entire congregation to say, "How can Fr. Dubois give communion to the likes of them when he knows God is against this." Everything stopped for a minute as people looked around to see who had said it. It was not obvious and no one stepped forward either. The mass continued without further incident with both Laura and Tillie receiving communion. The congregation was waiting for Fr. Dubois blessing prior to leaving them mass when he stepped toward the congregation. This in itself was not unusual, frequently announcements concerning the parish were made at that time.

"I know what many of you are thinking." Fr. Dubois said unexpectedly. "I will be brief. As a priest it is my duty to minister to the entire flock of which these two women are a part. I have been remiss by not talking about this soon and I apologize to you Tillie and to you Laura. I am reminded of the story of Mary Magelen and how the church elders tried to remove her when she came to Jesus. Does everyone remember his response to them? Society of that day had condemned her because she was a harlot. Jesus took exception to that and took the woman unto Him. I have to ask myself if Jesus were here today what would he say to us where these women are concerned. Jesus commanded us to judge as we would have ourselves judged. I am not going to stand in judgement of these women. God made us all the way we are. God loves us all equally and I can find no where that it says there are any exceptions to that. I must therefor conclude that he loves these women right here and now just as they are. So now I have to ask who am I to stand in judgement of them when I know God loves them. I caution you all to be careful of how you treat them. Jesus spoke clearly on that topic as well when he said that whatever you do to the least of my children you do also to me. If I reject them then am I not rejecting Jesus? How can I do that and be a good priest? I can't and I won't. Tillie and Laura will always be welcomed at my masses and if they so desire I will baptize their baby, give him first Eucharist and see that he is confirmed if that is their desire. May the peace of the Lord be with you all in the name of the father, and of the son, and of the holy spirit, amen." Only a few voices were heard to say amen where an entire church would normally. Fr. Dubois looked to Tillie and Laura and saw them both crying and smiling at the same time. A warmth filled his heart as he left the chapel.

During the next five weeks, until the baby was born, Fr. Dubois's church attendance suffered dramatically. The first Sunday about one quarter of the usual number of people went to mass. On each successive Sunday a few more people went however he did not get back more than a third of his congregation.

On September 1st Tillie gave birth to a six pound ten ounce baby girl. In deciding the baby's name Tillie remembered what Fr. Dubois had said that fateful Sunday and named her Mary after Mary Magdelen and Laura. Tillie wanted to give the baby a hyphenated last name so she could hold the name of Laura and well as her own. Laura, however and surprisingly to Tillie, asked why not give her Tom's last name as he was the baby's natural father. In the end she named the baby Mary Laura Harding. When Mary was baptized Tom was named as one of her Godparents so everyone was satisfied. Tom ask Tillie and Laura permission to visit the child and they graciously granted his request. Tom's visits were very discrete and it was many years before anyone found out he was the baby's father.

During the next six months Tillie and Laura suffered through many indignities. Newspapers from Baltimore to Bangor covered them, criticized them, investigated them and attended the trials when they were twice taken to court over their fitness to be parents. In all cases Tillie and Laura prevailed.

That seems so long ago now. My sister, Mary Laura, was able to go through school with relative ease considering the town did not change its feelings much over the years. I was luckier. When I was born there was not much of a fuss put up and people seemed to forget who my parents are, at least they seemed to. Mary married Mr. Johnson's grandson Aaron and I am about to marry Elaine. Elaine is Laura's daughter by an old friend of hers, but not by Tom. In reality Elaine is unrelated to me however try to tell that to Pierce, Maine. I should mention that Mary went to medical school, studied internal medicine and came back to Pierce of all places. I on the other hand went to the state university and am a teacher at a nearby high school. I seem to have started a whole new story for the good people of Pierce to argue over. I don't think I will apologize.