Love, Unconventionally

Story Info
Love, Marriage, Baby; Does it really matter the order?
12k words
4.79
45k
153
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
fgmntfmgnshn
fgmntfmgnshn
2,046 Followers

First comes love, then comes marriage and then comes baby in a baby carriage... Isn't that how it is supposed to happen? But what if you're not in love? What if you're not married? What if it's not your baby? I have found life doesn't follow the conventions of the norm. Life doesn't care what is supposed to happen. And all I can do is manage what life wishes for me.

*

"Return was by far the greatest!" Dan announced.

"No way, the best is obviously Empire," Cole retaliated.

"What?" Dan seriously looked offended by Cole's statement. It took him a moment, but he countered, "Return of the Jedi had everything from great action, a happy ending, and something that even got my girlfriend interested into Star Wars – ewoks!"

To be honest, it reminded me of an Abbott and Costello routine.

Cole stared dumbfounded at Dan and shook his head as I knew he would, "Now the truth comes out. You only like Return better because you like to get laid. And thanks again for reminding me that I don't have a girlfriend."

It never really bothered me that I couldn't get to my locker. The entertainment value alone made it worth it. As long as they didn't bring me into the conversation, I had a front row seat to comedic gold.

"That's it!" Dan thundered. "Why is it that every time I mention Matilda you have a fit?" Then a sly smile etched his lips, "Or maybe it's just because you know I'm right about The Empire Strikes Back."

"Let's ask Oliver," Cole steamed.

I suddenly found myself dragged in. Oh well, time to stoke the fire... "I think both of you aren't giving enough credit to the prequels." Okay, more like adding some gasoline; as if it's any fun just rubbing two sticks together.

"What?" They said the word in unison but then started arguing which of the prequels were better.

I, however, became lost. I became lost in a noise. The comedic banter, which was louder than ever, dissolved from my hearing. All I heard was a slight whimper - and it came from the classroom behind me.

I lowered my head and turned to the side as I shifted my black, wire framed glasses to the bridge of my nose. It was subtle enough as to not bring attention to myself, but enough to see out of my peripheral vision.

Her name was Piper Scott.

Unlike me, everyone knew Piper. She was one of Hilldale High School's prettiest girls which got her to be one of the most popular as well.

And she was crying.

She was sitting on the floor in the darkened room with her knees up and her head in her hands; her long dirty blonde hair almost acting as a shield as it cascaded around her. She was doing all she could not to be heard as whatever sorrow consumed her being.

I was probably setting myself up for some harassment from the elite, but I knew my conscious wouldn't allow me to just ignore what I had witnessed. Now, all I had to do was to get rid of the Marx brothers.

"Hey guys," I smiled, "Do you mind if I get into my locker? I kind of need to get home earlier today."

Cole and Dan's argument didn't stop, but they did make for the exit. Every day was just the same; thirty minutes to an hour after school was over, they would just stand there arguing and I would watch, pretending for a moment that I was part of any social standing. Not that I cared. I may have received a taunt here and there, but I, for the most part, was left alone. Just the way I wanted it.

I heard a sniffle followed closely by another pathetic whimper. What could cause Piper to be so distraught?

I was quiet as I entered the room. I opened my mouth to speak but no words escaped my lips. I mean – what should I say? After a moments time, I realized there was nothing to say. I steeled myself for what I was going to do next, hoping that it didn't result in me getting punched.

I sat down next to Piper.

I saw a gambit of emotions briefly run through her as she realized she was no longer alone. Fear. Helplessness. Shame. Her red lips and rouge cheeks are marred by her mascara that had run amuck. I just leaned back against the hard, white painted brick wall and stared forward into the abyss of the hallway. She turned her head away, almost trying not to be recognized but not having the energy to do much else.

Piper began stifling her whimpers, but I still heard them.

"I'm sorry for whatever happened to you," my voice barely cracked above a whisper as I started to rub her back in a soothing manner. "Just let it all out and hope the tears will make you feel better."

I must admit, she startled me with her next action and I tensed up as she did it because I feared that aforementioned punch... Piper quickly turned and burrowed her face into my chest. Her hands clutched at my navy blue polo shirt while her tears began to soak into the fabric. I regained my composure and put my arms around the beauty, beginning a slow rocking motion in an effort to quell her despair.

"What are you two doing here?"

Daylight had melted away as dusk settled across the city. We were still cuddled in our little corner of seclusion, away from all problems - all concerns – all of everything. It was as if Piper and I were the only two people in existence. It was surreal.

Until the decrepit night janitor with the overly squeaky cart decided he wanted to interrupt our serenity. Seriously, hasn't he ever heard of WD-40?

I glanced down at the sleeping beauty in my lap. I stretched out my arms and yawned, "Sorry... we must have fallen asleep while we were talking." I looked down again and brushed a few tendrils of hair from her cheek. "Piper, we're getting kicked out now."

Piper's eyes jerked open before she tentatively pulled away from me. "Uh... I'm a..."

I smiled, "No worries. It was my pleasure." I stood and offered my hand, "I hope you feel better."

Piper accepted my hand and I pulled her up. We were face to face, our eyes locking in a piercing stare, "I think I do feel a little better. Thank you."

I gave a smile and a slight nod before she stepped away. She reached the door before she glanced back inside, her hand bracing the door jamb, "How did you know my name?"

"Um..." I shrugged my shoulders. "Everyone knows your name."

"Oh," Piper frowned. She looked down to the floor. "May I have yours?"

I picked up my book bag and slung it over my shoulder, "It's Oliver."

Piper tapped her hand once as she nodded, "Thanks again, Oliver."

"Once again, it was my pleasure." As I started speaking those words, all I could hear was her footsteps going down the hall. As I finished those words, however, I realized I was now left to deal with the old janitor. I threw up my hands, "I know, I know, I'm leaving as well."

"Damn right you are."

As I passed the man, he shook his head and added in a disgruntled grumble, "These damn kids these days think they own the place. Back in my day we were taught respect."

*

As I arrived at school in my beat up, rusted, what was once blue but seems to be fading to purple – Can I even call it a car? – motorized vehicle, I didn't know what to make of the circle of students near the statue of the somehow half melted Hilldale High Hyena (there were all sorts of rumors about that). Normally, I would assume fight. But this was much different. It was moving and it was much smaller, as if the fight was only one person.

I shook my head as I came to the conclusion I didn't care. It was probably one of Hilldale High's finest intellectuals (and I use that term sarcastically) doing something stupid just to get attention. I'd go over there and suddenly I'm the guy intruding on their fun and voila, now I become their fun. No thanks. I'll just head to my first period math lecture starring Mrs. Harris and I'll be just fine.

Or not.

The crowd was not stopping and it was moving toward the same entrance I was. I took a deep breath and just lowered my head, hoping to not be noticed.

"Whore!"

"Slut!"

"Nice mattress pattern on your back!"

As the insults poured down from the group, I realized this wasn't because someone was doing something imprudent. No... This was a lynch mob. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach at having to call these people my classmates and my heart went out to their prey.

My hand reached for the entrance door as another hand was placed atop mine. "Sorry." I removed my hand and turned to see Piper... the center of the crowd... and she was barely hanging on to the tears that desperately wanted to flood from her eyes.

"Ooh," Someone from the crowd wailed, "So he's the next one in line!"

"Yeah," Someone else piled on, "From jocks to nerds – She's so desperate she'll screw anyone!"

I opened the door for Piper, but quickly shut it after she entered; once again leaving me alone to handle the aftermath of our meeting. I doubt this crowd will be as easy as the old janitor.

"Hey, let us in!"

"Get out of the way!"

I knew I couldn't just stop them from going into the school, but if I could allow Piper some distance so she could get to class... Maybe... Just maybe...

"Just a second," I made like I was having trouble opening the door.

"I said get out of my way!"

I was picked up by someone in a varsity jacket. I didn't get a good look of who it was because they tossed me to the ground and the crowd filtered into the building before I could stand back up. All I could hope was that I bought her enough seconds to get away.

*

The rumor mill in a school filled with teenagers with egos that propel them to spread gossip faster than my Uncle Jerry's toupee flapping in the wind makes me weep for the future. Everyone had their own story on events that they didn't even witness. By the time lunch came around, I found out that Piper had slept with a thousand different men varying in ages from twelve to eighty-five, several women including Governor Beatrice Faye, and has contracted every sexually transmitted disease known to man including cerebral palsy – which is a birth defect. The only two truths I know for certain are that none of those "facts" are true and I'm spending my lunch in the library to finish my Advance Placement English paper on To Kill a Mockingbird.

-Scout comes to understand that race, social standing, and the spread of rumors cannot define a person...

I couldn't help my chuckle, "Huh... kind of like how today is going."

"Oliver?"

The voice was meek and I knew immediately who it was. "Hello, Piper." I looked up from my paper to look the poor girl in the eyes. "I hope you're feeling better." I already knew she wasn't, but what else could I have said?

"Yeah, not really," Piper gave a disheartened smile as if it was self-defense. "I just wanted to say thank you for this morning."

"Well, I try to be human."

Piper gave a genuine laugh at that... A laugh that I found truly adorable. Her head faded down as she turned and took two steps away. She stopped, almost as if she didn't know where to go.

"Would you care to sit with me?"

Piper turned around with a slight smirk, "I'd like that."

"So, how are you doing in your classes?"

Piper seemed surprised by my question as I'm sure she thought I would interrogate her about her issues. She settled in the chair next to me, "Not bad, though I was never great at math."

"I can help with that if you need it."

"I think I'll be okay," Piper smiled. "But thanks."

I'm not sure how to describe the wonderfulness that is Piper's smile. Perhaps a slightly mysterious, slightly knowing grin... I understand those words contrast, but that is what makes it all the more intriguing. Yes, Piper has a magnificent smile.

There was some snickering from a couple girls from a table near the computers. We both turned at the noise to note that one of them was pointing at Piper. They saw us immediately and did their best to hide their indiscretion, but Piper and I both knew.

"At least the day is almost over." I patted her hand with mine. "Find some relief at home."

Piper's head slightly shook. "Not really. My Dad isn't thrilled with me right now."

"Oh," I cringed. "Well, if you're interested, we can do something. Don't know what, but something. You know... to keep your mind off of things."

"Really?" Piper's eyes lit up and her face looked angelic as she did. "You want to hang out with me?"

"I wouldn't have asked otherwise."

Piper gave me that adorable laugh again, "I'd love to."

"Outstanding."

*

Mental note: Don't bowl with Piper.

"Ha – Ha!"

I looked away from the scoreboard to see Piper jumping up and down.

"I did it again! A strike!"

Or if she gets that excited every time we play, perhaps we should visit Fosse's Bowling Alley every day. I ran a hand through my hair before shaking my head. "Congrats. You sure are kicking my ass."

Piper smiled grandly, "Aw, is the big macho man upset that he is losing to little ole me?"

No one has ever confused me for macho before.

"Uh, no," I laughed. "I don't mind losing. It's all about having fun and enjoying the time with the people you're with. I was just surprised at how good you are."

"So you're saying you're having a good time with me?"

"Of course."

Piper sauntered over to me, "Me too." She then kissed my cheek. "Best date I've ever been on with the best guy I've ever dated."

I gulped at her declaration. I also dropped my half neon yellow, half neon green bowling ball.

Piper snickered, "It's your turn."

A date. I had never been on one nor did I have any thoughts that this was one. I just wanted to give Piper a chance to get away from all her stress. Now that the term was used, it spread through my very being like wildfire. What are the possibilities? What am I supposed to do next? Will she like me? Do I like her? Too many questions...

I knelt down to pick up my ball, still trying to come to grips with my situation. As I stood, I caught Piper staring at me with that bemused smile and soft expression in her eyes. She stated I was the best guy she has ever dated so the question now was: how did I feel about her? She has a great personality, she's beautiful, and, of course, I would be stupid to say no to the only girl in my eighteen year history to show interest in me... Well, that may not be entirely true – Mrs. Dreighton, my seventy – three year old neighbor once said something to me that nearly made me vomit at the thought... But Piper is the first person who was my age. The cherry on top though, would have to be Piper's smile. Yes, I was becoming hooked on that smile. I guess the answer to "what next?" is the same as it was before – just have fun and enjoy my time with Piper and we'll see what transpires.

I can do that.

I coughed to compose myself before glancing at the scoreboard, "I only have to make thirty-six pins in three frames. I think I can do that."

"Forget about it," Piper laughed. "I won."

Yes she did. But I felt I also won. It's amazing how math works when it comes to matters of the heart.

*

"Where have you've been all my life?"

It was all part of my plan. Pick up Piper, go to breakfast to guarantee we'd be late for school, and then sneak in without the irritation of our fellow students. That was the plan. What wasn't part of the plan was us having continual bouts of laughter and getting constant stares from everyone in the diner because of how loud we were being. My plan also precluded a sausage link down my t-shirt but did that stop Piper from throwing it at me in such a way that I now have a trail of grease that stretches from my chin to my belly button?

It did not.

I can take consolation that she came very close from having some chocolate milk exit from her nose.

I did my best to give her a stern glare as I reached for the napkins, but I'm sure it came across as comedic. I mean, how tough can someone look as they are trying to fish a piece of sausage from their shirt?

A smile percolated my lips as I found the sausage, "I've always been around. I just don't run around the same crowd you do."

"Correction – used to." Piper then tilted her head, "I like that I don't have to pretend when I'm around you."

"Pretend?" I said the word with a full understanding that I needed clarification.

"Yeah, you know, try to be how everyone expects you to be, act how they expect you to act, date who they think you should date..."

"Do me favor," I interrupted.

"What?"

"Don't pretend. The Piper I know is so much better than the Piper that Marissa or Brad or anyone else may want you to be."

Piper sat momentarily stunned at my proclamation. A soft smile slowly made its way to her lips. "I like you, Oliver."

"I like you too, Piper." I raised my glass of orange juice, "But I'm sure part of what you're feeling is because I'm the only one not harassing you."

Piper thought about it for a moment. "That may be, or at least at the beginning, but now..." She trailed off as she seemingly appeared to stare at me and her own soul at the same time.

"Piper, are you all right?"

Piper shook her head to come out of whatever reverie she was in and smiled, "I am. I truly am."

"Okay..." I let the word hang there as I was unsure what just happened.

"I think it's safe to get to school now."

I tilted my head with a smile and then quickly stood from the booth seat and bowed. In a horrible English accent I added, "Yes, My Lady, your rusted purple chariot awaits."

Piper went into another bout of laughter.

*

"Ol... Ol... Oliver?"

To say my mother was shocked when I walked into the kitchen with a girl right behind me would be a colossal understatement. Still, despite her wide eyes, mouth agape, having to brace her body against the stove demeanor; she was still able to say my name... which was more than I could say for my father. He turned into a statue and lost all ability to use his muscles as was apparent when he dropped the pan of barbeque ribs on the floor.

It's nice to get it out in the open how much faith my parents had in me with the opposite sex.

"Hi Mom, Dad; this is Piper."

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Green," Piper cheerfully introduced herself.

Mom came out of her stupor and set down the tongs she was using for the corn on the cob. "Hello, Piper." She took the three steps that separated her and Piper as if she were being electrocuted. Her hand raised and took hold of Piper's as she continued, "I'm Oliver's Mom... Oh, I mean, I guess you know that, um, just call me Rhonda... Yes, I'm Rhonda and this is my husband, Todd."

"Uh... um... Hi... uh... Piper," Dad stuttered. "And uh... Oliver, too."

Wow, the statue spoke... If you can call it that.

"Yeah, we'll be in my room." I then stood in awe at the woman who gave birth to me, "And Mom..."

"Yes Dear?" Mom over anxiously answered.

"You can let go of Piper's hand now."

"Oh, of course," Mom tried to hide her ungainliness with a subtle laugh.

As Piper and I exited the kitchen, I rolled my eyes at being able to overhear my parents.

"He has a real girl over," My Dad still couldn't shake the shock.

"I know," Mom added. "She has legs and everything!"

I suppose that requires a little clarification. It was an anatomically correct mannequin for my Anatomy class. ONLY for my Anatomy class.

"What should we do?" Dad continued.

"I don't know Honey... This has never happened before."

"But we should do something, Sweetheart. We are his parents."

Piper and I finally made it out of earshot, and I couldn't be more grateful.

"They seem nice." Piper slid onto my bed until her back touched the wall.

"They normally are," I shook my head. "But that was like nails across a chalkboard."

"Yeah, a little," Piper laughed. "At least it wasn't like Jeff's family. His mom said my skirt wasn't short enough for her son and his dad kept trying to pull me into his lap while calling me fresh meat."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Piper tucked a tendril of hair behind her ear. "So it was really nice that they acted like..."

fgmntfmgnshn
fgmntfmgnshn
2,046 Followers