Lucifer: The Real Story?

Story Info
A different take on the story of the War in Heaven.
827 words
4.27
12.5k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
werebare
werebare
13 Followers

Notice ... if you have very strict Christian religious beliefs, you may find this idea offensive. If you think this might apply to you, then please do not read further - I don't want to upset anyone.

On the other hand, if you have strict religious beliefs, what the Hell are you doing reading stuff on this site in the first place? :-)

As we all know, there was a war in Heaven, and the angel Lucifer was cast down into the darkness for rebelling against the Lord.

Well, here's a different take on the story …

'Lucifer' means 'light bearer'. While the standard story is that he was the angel whose job was to bear the light of the Lord before he rebelled, that never rang quite true to me – calling someone 'light bearer' gives them an emotionally positive feel, which seems odd to me for someone who's supposed to be the Devil, the root of all evil.

Now, in the Greek mythos, Prometheus stole fire from heaven and gave it to Mankind, believing that we were being repressed by the gods in being denied this marvellous thing. Prometheus was certainly a 'light bearer' when he gave fire to us. The other Greek gods punished Prometheus by chaining him to a rock and setting gryphons to tear out his liver, which would constantly regenerate so that his torment was never over. For this reason, Prometheus (who was actually technically a Titan, not a god, to start with) has been worshipped as the 'patron god of mankind' in the Greek pantheon.

Was the light that Prometheus gave to us the light of reason? That would be a rather more significant gift even than fire, and perhaps more deserving of his punishment, from jealous gods.

So think about this:

Lucifer and Prometheus are different versions of the same myth. And maybe it's not altogether a myth …

In the Beginning, as the Good Book has it, there was God. God created the world in the form that He wanted it, and put mankind in the world to enjoy it and to sing His praises. (I always had misgivings about the psychology of a God who feels it necessary that such insignificant beings as us should spend our time worshipping Him, but maybe that's just me ...)

What He created was, in all likelihood, pretty much what the standard Christian vision of Heaven looks like: eternal joy and goodness for all, following God's law.

God also created the angels, as general assistants and dogsbodies, to do the scut work of administering His eternally nice world.

But one of those angels started to think.

Lucifer (or Prometheus) realised that while the world had been created for humans, and they were all happy with it because (of course) it was all good – they had no choice. They could not really appreciate the grandeur of their existence, simply because there was nothing to contrast it against.

He realised that humans could never really understand what goodness was, simply because they did not know anything else. Ans that God had denied us the dignity of free will and choice.

Eventually Lucifer decided that he had to do something about this, so he introduced the concepts of evil and chaos into God's previously perfect world. Maybe he even did it by offering an apple to someone; but what he truly did was to introduce to Mankind 'the knowledge of Good and Evil'.

He knew that he would suffer for this, of course. But he felt it was worth the price.

Of course, once there was evil in the world, it was no longer a perfect place. And even God could not clean up this situation except by destroying mankind. And He is, after all, too merciful to do that.

However, His mercy did not extend to the one He saw as the architect of evil and chaos, who had despoiled the perfection of His creation. Lucifer was condemned to eternal torment. And those who subsequently fell to the temptations that he had created were sent to join him. (Well, maybe the punishment is eternal – but now that Heaven has been cracked, can perfect eternity still exist?)

But while Lucifer is in torment, and knows that untold other souls suffer similarly because of his actions … he also knows that he gave Mankind the free will that God denied us. Those who now reach heaven have earned their place – they had a choice. And the fact that they have now earned it by their own efforts makes the pain worthwhile, even for those who have fallen by the wayside.

God gave us a hand-out. Lucifer gave us a hand up.

There was a cult TV series a few decades ago about a man who was imprisoned, and had very few choices. He was known only as 'Number 6'.

Lucifer's number, of course, is 666.

BUT HE IS NOT A NUMBER!

werebare
werebare
13 Followers