Luke Takes a Wife

Story Info
Girl finds first love.
3.4k words
4.59
35.8k
25
Story does not have any tags

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/21/2022
Created 01/07/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kimmi_kis
Kimmi_kis
56 Followers

Hannah's footsteps faltered a bit as she stood on the porch of the big ranch style house. Brushing some loose strands of her long dark hair back from her face and straightening the light blue sundress that she's wearing, she sets down the small bag she's carrying on the porch next to the door. The walk from town had been long and hot but she was finally here. Clutching the worn paper in one hand, she lifts her other hand to the door and knocks softly.

Cursing under his breath as he throws open the front door, Luke's mouth already set in a scowl. His eyes widen as he takes in the small girl standing in front of him. He feels a small tug in his gut as he takes in her wide eyes, searching eyes. Shaking his head, he leans against the door jam and lets his eyes move lazily down her small frame.

Hannah forces herself to look up into the smiling face of Luke Williams, feeling sure he doesn't remember her. She clutches the wrinkled paper tighter in her hand, remembering the way her brothers and father reacted when she told them she was leaving. Squeezing her eyes closed and trying to still the butterflies in her stomach.

"What do you want?" Luke can't stop the hard edge he hears creeping into his voice. As he watches her flinch, he feels his stomach turn a bit at the thought of hurting her. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh." Feeling like he's been hit in the stomach as she smiles up at him,

Hannah shifts once again from one foot to the other before responding. "I...uh....I'm here about the job." Holding out the worn piece of paper.

Reaching out, Luke's hand closes over her smaller one...smiling as he holds it for a few seconds longer than necessary before taking the paper out of her hand. Damnit, advertising for a housekeeper/cook/nanny had been his mother's idea. So far all the applicants had been washouts, all 3 of them.

"How old are you?" Luke pulls his hand back quickly, letting the paper fall to the porch. He crosses his arms over his chest and tries to ignore the continuing tug in his stomach.

"19, how old are you?" Shoot, where did that come from. Biting down hard on her bottom lip as her eyes drop down to her feet again.

Luke shakes his head, biting back a laugh. God, he could actually start to like this girl. Turning on his heel so she won't see the smile spreading across his face. "Come on in, might as well get a look at what your getting yourself into." Without waiting for an answer he walks into his spacious living room, listening to her light footsteps as she follows him.

Hannah slams into Luke's back as he stops suddenly just inside of his living room. "Ohh, I'm so sorry." Hannah steps back quickly, stumbling as her foot hit's a toy dump truck.

"Damn, I'm sorry." Luke turns just in time to grab her arms and haul her up hard against his chest as she starts to fall backward. Knowing instantly that it was a mistake as he feels her small frame pressing tightly against his own. He looks down into her upturned face, her soft pink lips parted slighted. His brain screaming to stop even as his arms slide around her waist and hold her tightly.

Oh god, he still smells exactly the same. Hannah cannot control her body's reaction to being so close to Luke again. She looks into his eyes, remembering how easy it is to loose herself in the cool blue pools. Her body shaking as she watches his face come closer to her own. His lips inches from her, feeling his warm breath against her lips.

"DADDY!!" Hannah's eyes widen and she jerks back quickly, a deep blushing creeping up her neck and into her cheeks. She feels a smile spreading across her lips as the three little boys that look so much like their father come bounding down the stairs.

It takes Luke a little longer for his boys' voices to register in his brain. He feels her draw herself away from him and just barely resists the temptation to pull her back into his arms. Damn, he hasn't feel like this since...shaking his head as he straightens up and turns to look at his boys.

"What?" Trying to sound angry even as a smile spreads across his face. "You guys are supposed to be playing outside so Rainy can sleep."

"Yeah, but Rainy's awake now and we're hungry." Chance, one of the twins says as he looks around his dad at the woman standing behind him. "Who"s she?" Luke smiles as all three of his sons watch Hannah closely.

"This is Hannah." Turning, smiling at Hannah briefly. "I have to run up and check on Rainy, will you be alright down here?"

Nodding quickly, Hannah watches him hurry upstairs..stopping only to say something quietly to the three boys. She smiles at the boys and takes a couple of small steps toward them.

The three boys eye her suspiciously before all three cross their arms across their chest, so much like their father. "Do you know how to make grilled cheeses?" The youngest boy asks softly.

Hannah drops down on one knee, smiling at them. "I sure do. Is that what you guys want for lunch?" She smiles as they nod quickly. "Then point me toward the kitchen and I'll get started."

The youngest one starts running toward the kitchen while the other two walk beside her. Five minutes later she's standing at the stove, tomato soup on the stove and grilled cheese sandwiches in a frying pan. She's learned their names, Chance and Lucky are the 7 year old twins and Cash the 4 year old who looks so much like his father. She's also learned that their little sister, Rainy is only 8 months old. Their mom left them when Rainy was only a month old. Of course Hannah already knew almost all of it from overhearing her brothers talk about Luke and his run of bad luck.

Luke walks down the stairs after checking on his daughter and is surprised to find Hannah and his kids missing. He starts toward the front door, sure that the little girl had gone running for the hills after 10 minutes with his boys. He's almost at the door when he hears laughter coming from the kitchen. He turns quickly and heads in that direction. As he walks in, he spots Hannah standing at the stove, stirring a pot and flipping sandwiches on the stove, her back to him. His boys sitting at the bar, chattering away with her.

"Alright, guys, go wash up while I dish up the soup." Luke's surprised as his boys jump down off the stools and start out of the kitchen, stopping when she speaks again. "And use soap." Luke shakes his head at how at home she seems to be with his kids. He looks down as he feels a tugging on his belt.

"We like her." His youngest son, Cash, whispers conspiringly as Luke kneels down in front of him. "She can fix grilled cheeses and everything."

Luke feels his heart melt a little bit as he looks into Cash's bright eyes. Don't they say kids are the best judge of character?

"Yeah, I like her to." Luke ruffles Cash's hair before getting to his feet. "Go get washed up like she said."

Hannah hums softly to herself as she dishes up 3 big bowls of tomato soup and cuts the sandwiches in half and places them on the plates next to the bowls of soup. She opens a couple of cabinets , smiling as she finds the glasses and pulls down 3 and sets them on the counter. As she's turning toward the refrigerator, she spots Luke leaning against the wall close to the door. She feels her heart leap a bit in her chest and swallows quickly, trying to catch her breath.

"I...umm...I hope you don't mind. I just thought I'd help out a bit." Her hand stills on the refrigerator door as she waits for his response.

"Don't worry about it. I appreciate your help." Luke moves to sit down on the table and continues to watch her as she pours the boys some milk.

Hannah's hand is shaking as she pours the milk, surprising herself when she doesn't spill it. Why is he watching me like that? Does he recognize me? Wouldn't he say something if he did?

Sighing softly, Hannah carries the plates over to the bar and sets the last one down just as the boys come running back into the room. Smiling as they scramble up on the barstools, she sets their milk down beside their plates. She looks over at Luke and smiles shyly.

"Would you like something to eat, there's plenty?" Without waiting for an answer, she goes about dishing up the soup and sandwiches and then walks over to the table and sits it down in front of him. "Milk?" Smiling down at him as he shakes his head.

"Water's alright, thanks." He watches as she walks back to the fridge and grabs a bottle of water. "Help yourself to whatever you want, not that there's a lot here."

"Thank you, but I don't want anything right now." The butterflies in my stomach would probably rebel against it, she thinks to herself. Feeling the sudden need to put some distance between herself and Luke, she starts back toward the bar

Laughing softly, he watches that thin veil cover her eyes once more and wonders briefly what it is that she's hiding. Not willing to let her retreat too far, he reaches out and grabs her wrist, pulling her back to the table. Glancing over at the bar, knowing his boys are wrapped up in talking about the trail ride they're going on this weekend.

"Sit down, Hannah." His eyes are drawn to her soft lips as she chews on the bottom one before slipping into the seat beside across from him. He slowly releases her wrist as he feels her pulling away slightly. "So, you really want this job? "

"I do." Hannah nods slowly.

"Do you understand what's involved?" He lightly brushes his fingertips over her knuckles, not surprised when she pulls her hand back and places both of them on her lap. She doesn't respond right away. "You'll be responsible for all the household chores, including all the cooking and taking care of the kids. I leave before sunrise and don't get home until after dark so it'll be just you and the kids all day." Did he imagine the look of relief on her face?

"I understand, Mr. Williams and I hope you'll give me the chance to prove how capable I am." Hannah's voice cracks a bit as she looks back toward the boys sitting at the bar.

Before he can respond, a shrill scream resounds through the house. Hannah watches a pained look cross all 4 male faces as they look toward the door. Unable to stop herself, she laughs softly, drawing a hard look from Luke.

She's laughing, Luke thinks to himself as his very irritable little girl screams loudly. How can she be laughing? But even as the thought enters his mind, her soft laughter brings a smile to his face. He crosses his arms over his broad chest once again and glares across the table at her.

"Alright, here's your first test. " Nodding toward the stairs. "Get her to stop crying."

Smiling as she gets to her feet, Hannah heads up the stairs unaware of Luke following her up the stairs. She follows the shrill screams down the hall to the small nursery next to what she's sure is Luke's bedroom. Her heart catches in her throat as she spots the small dark haired, blue-eyed little girl clutching the railing of her crib, screaming desperately.

Luke steps to the nursery door and watches as Hannah runs her fingertips down Rainy's tearstained cheeks before gathering her to her chest and walking to the rocking chair in the corner and sitting down. After several minutes, Rainy's gut-wrenching sobs turn into soft little whimpers, bringing a soft smile to his lips. He starts to walk back down, assured now that she's capable of taking care of his little girl. He stops abruptly as Hannah begins to sing softly. He steps back into the room, moving silently across the room so that he can hear. That song sounding so familiar to him.

Rocking little Rainy slowly, feeling her little body calm down and still in her arms. The song sung so long ago coming back to her immediately as she gathered the child in her arms. Feeling a slight pang of guild at the thought of taking the job in Luke's house without telling him the truth. Shaking her head as she gets up and carries Rainy back to her crib and laying her down carefully. It's not right.

Luke watches closely as Hannah puts Rainy back in her crib. He had known before he had sent her to care for Rainy that he was going to hire her. Watching the love and care in every touch and look that she gave his baby girl only made it clearer, if possible, just how much his family needed her.

Sighing softly, Hannah turns around and starts toward the nursery door, her head lowered wondering how she's going to tell Luke she's changed her mind about the job.

Luke knows she doesn't see him there. He knows he should warn her but he doesn't. He grasps her arms loosely as she walks into him...smiling down at her, taking in the stricken expression on her face.

"Oh, Luke..I'm sorry, I didn't see you there." Her eyes wide as she looks up at him...all thoughts of leaving fleeing her mind. " Lifting his hand up and pulling the clip out of her hair, letting it fall free. Luke's breath catches in his throat as he watches her long dark hair fall down around her shoulders.

Hannah sighs softly, watching his face as it comes closer and closer to her own. Unbidden, her hand slides up and rests on his shoulder.

Luke stops, his lips barely brushes across hers. "You're hired." He whispers softly against her lips.

She struggles for a minute to remember what it was she was going to tell him but as he presses his lips tightly against her own, she gives up and allows him to pull her closer to him.

Groaning low in his throat, once more ignoring the voice that was telling him earlier what a bad idea this girl is, slidding his hand to her lower back and urging her closer to him as his lips capture hers.

The sound of feet thumping up the stairs pulls Hannah out of the cloud she's in and she pulls back quickly. Rubbing her fingers over her still burning lips as she takes a couple of quick steps away from Luke.

Luke reaches for her again, not wanting her to pull away from him just yet but she turns and walks back over to the crib just as Chance, Lucky, and Cash come running into the room.

Cash reaches up and tugs on Luke's hand causing his father to look down at him with a soft little smile.

"Is she staying, daddy?" Cash says a little too loudly. Luke watches as Hannah's back stiffens.

"Yes, she's staying." He says firmly, his voice letting everybody in the room know there's no room for discussion.

Hannah sighs softly, wondering to herself what she's gotten herself into.

"Do you need a ride into town to pick up your stuff?" He watches her as his boys run out of the room.

"No, my bag is outside on the porch." Hannah slowly turns to face him, lifting her eyes slowly to his face.

Luke's eyes twinkle a bit, unable to resist teasing her. "Were you that sure you'd get the job?

"No...I just got into town and came straight here." Hannah starts past him but he grabs her arm,

"And what were you going to do if you didn't get the job?" She blinks a couple of times before looking up into his eyes. "You didn't have a plan after this, did you?" He watches as she shakes her head slowly. "You don't have any family?"

Hannah flinches at the mention of family and jerks her arm free of his grasp. "I need to get my things. Can you tell me where I'll be sleeping?"

Shaking his head, he place his hand on the small of her back and leads her down the hall to the room across from his.

Hannah sighs softly when he opens the door. The room isn't huge by any means but it is a lot larger than the room she grew up in. She steps inside and hurries across the room the open the curtains, letting sunlight stream into the room.

Luke's voice catches in his throat as he watches her stand in front of the window, the sunlight shining in her hair. He had never seen that kind of reaction over the modest room before. In fact, one of the applicants had taken one look at the room and informed him it just wouldn't do. And here this girl is acting like it's the best room she's ever seen. He steps into the room, intending to cross the room to stand beside her. But as he steps into the room, she turns slightly and he can see the tears gathering in her eyes. Taking two quick steps back, he turns and leaves the room.

"I'll bring up your bags." He mutters as he leaves the room and hurries down the stairs.

Hannah barely hears him, she's so taken with the idea of a fresh start...away from her father and brothers. She brushes her the back of her hand quickly over her cheeks, feeling the wetness of her tears. She has to be more careful. Luke can never figure out who she is and if she keeps acting all weeping that's exactly what will happen. She walks over and sits down on the full sized bed, fingering the soft white comforter. She had just been 13 when she had first met Luke, a friend of her oldest brother, Jed. He had been so sweet to her, unlike her brothers who treated her no better than they had the dog. Luke had been different, he had given her rides home when he had passed her on the road. He had even bought her a coke a couple of times. She had known he was just being nice but that hadn't stopped the feelings from growing...neither had his marriage...neither had the 4 beautiful children she had given him.

One bag. How can a woman have only one bag? She could have left most of her things at her home, he supposed. But then, she didn't act like she had a home. One more question. Seems like that's all he had about this girl, questions. He stops short at the door to her room, taking in the sight of her sitting on the bed, staring out the window deep in thought.

"Is this all you have?" Hannah looks up quickly, a small smile lighting on her lips and then disappearing just as quickly.

"Yes, thank you for bringing it up." She reaches out and takes her bag from his hand and sets it on the bed.

Luke sits down on the bed, watching as she opens her suitcase. His eyes are drawn immediately to her hands. Without thinking, he reaches out and takes one of her small hands into his larger one.

"Sit down, Hannah." He growls softly, his voice low and demanding.

Without a moment's hesitation, Hannah drops down on the bed beside him, staring down at the floor..afraid that if she looks up at him, he'll see the same scared little girl he was when she was 16.

"Hannah." Luke reaches out and cups her chin, tilting her head back and looking into her eyes. Frustrated as he sees the same veil cover her eyes. "What are you hiding, little girl?" He whispers as he lowers his mouth to hers.

Hannah slams her hands against his chest and pushing him back hard. God, he sounds just like her brothers. She feels anger ripping through her as she jumps to her feet, glaring down at him.

"First of all, Mr. Williams, I am not a little girl." Hannah's hands on her hips, feeling the flush spreading from her neck, into her cheeks. "And second of all, I would appreciate it if you would keep your hands and lips to yourself from now on."

Kimmi_kis
Kimmi_kis
56 Followers