Magical Moments

Story Info
Even Santa needed a reason to smile.
4.6k words
4.76
18.9k
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
_Lynn_
_Lynn_
273 Followers

I stared in shock at the stack of hundred-dollar bills. They hadn't been on my dresser that morning when I left for work. Fear made me back out of the room. Was someone still in there? I didn't have anything of value. More questions tumbled through my brain. None had answers. I ran to the kitchen where I set my purse when I got home. Expecting to see my cell phone in one of the pockets, I felt the panic build when it wasn't there.

"Is this what you were looking for?"

I screamed at the realization I wasn't alone. The voice came from my left. Thinking I might have a chance at escaping, I turned to the door.

"It won't open."

Something about the voice made me stop. I took a deep breath before facing the intruder. An angel floated near the window. I shook my head. Was I asleep? Had I hurt my head? Once more, the questions outnumbered the answers.

"You're wide awake, Sammie. And no, you didn't hit your head."

My fear settled and my breathing calmed. If I had thought about it, I would have wondered why I wasn't afraid anymore. I hadn't moved yet I stood next to the angel. I was certain I was in the middle of a dream. I opened my mouth to speak but stopped. Talking to an angel? If anyone heard me, they would send me to a psychiatric hospital.

"Would you believe anyone who told you they had an angel in their house?"

"No," I whispered.

"What if that angel presented you with a Christmas challenge?"

"But, you aren't real. How can you—"

"Would you like to check for yourself?"

I wasn't sure what she meant. Before I could speak, it floated toward the living room, disappearing through the doorway. I followed without realizing what I had done. The first thing I saw was the enormous Christmas tree by the front window. Fragile glass angels hung from the branches. Strands of tiny white lights twinkled even in the daytime. I hadn't put the tree there.

"It's stunning, isn't it?"

"Yes," I said, turning to face the angel.

"The holiday season is magical. You believe in magic, don't you, Sammie?"

The angel seemed to spin in the air as I watched. I closed my eyes to keep from getting dizzy. When I opened them again, a young woman sat on the sofa. The angel was gone. I backed away, confused and afraid again.

"Don't be afraid," she said, rising to walk toward me. "My name is Alaleah."

She didn't look menacing. In fact, she looked . . . normal. However, I wasn't ready to be friends with her. I waited for a full explanation for her appearance.

"Why don't you sit down and I'll get you some water. Then I'll see if I can explain."

She didn't leave the room, yet she had a glass of water in her hand.

"Here you go, honey. See if this helps."

The water cooled my throat. "Thank you."

Her smile lit up the room. "Oh, this will be so much fun. We're going to get along great."

"Fun?" The woman hadn't explained anything yet she thought it would fun? I was so confused.

"What would you do with that stack of money, Sammie? Would you buy gifts for friends? Do you have things you would like or that you need? Maybe you would invest it in a car or house."

Her questions reminded me of the stack of money in my bedroom. What did it have to do with the angel? My head ached from all the questions.

"I've watched you for quite some time. You're a giver. Regardless how much you have, you're always willing to share. That's why I chose you."

She wasn't wrong. I loved sharing with others. I planned on giving to the local homeless shelter and a neighbor who lost his job. Shopping for items I could give away made me happy. But I was still confused.

"I have a job for you. No, not a job, but a task. It will be fun and challenging as well. This money is for you," she said, opening her hand to show me the stack of bills. "You have to give it all away before Christmas Eve. Sound easy?"

I thought of the charities I could help and nodded. "A lot of people need help."

"Yes, they do. And some of those people might qualify," she said, unfolding a sheet of paper as she spoke. "However, there are rules."

"OK, I'm lost."

She chuckled, a musical sound that relaxed me. I still didn't understand anything, though.

"First you're an angel, now you're not. The money was in my bedroom, and now it isn't. You want me to give the money away, but not to people who need it. I just don't get any of this."

I wanted to run to my bed and hide under the covers. I wouldn't find answers there. So I looked at Alaleah and waited.

"Your task is to share this stack of money with others. The rules are simple. They're written here," she said, looking at the sheet of paper. "I think it will be best if you read them yourself. I'll just sit here and be quiet."

The list was quite lengthy. I couldn't give money to people at homeless shelters or to anyone standing in a food line. Temporary workers who only held a job through Christmas were not eligible. Friends and family couldn't benefit from the money. Mainly, from what I could tell, I wasn't allowed to give money to anyone who obviously needed it, for any reason.

"There's ten thousand dollars here, all in hundred-dollar bills. One per person, Sammie," she said.

"Why?"

"This is the season for giving. So why not?"

"Why me, why the rules, why any of this," I replied, my voice rising with each word. "Why are you here, in my house, with your money?"

"Because—"

"And why am I talking to an angel?" I screamed the question out of frustration.

Alaleah smiled. "Because you're a special person, that's why."

I laughed. How could she think I was special? She didn't know anything about me. Just when I began feeling on top of things, I realized that if she could appear in my home without an invitation, she had powers beyond those of any human.

"If I agree to this . . . whatever it is . . . what do I get out of it?"

"Ah, that's easy. Your reward is making one hundred people smile."

"But—"

"It's simple. Just find someone who needs a reason to smile."

I contemplated the task. The rules made it difficult. Yet the more I thought about it, the more excited I got. Could I find one hundred people? Would they take the money I offered or would they walk away? Certainly I couldn't tell anyone about Alaleah. Images of my days in college when I was on the basketball team flooded my brain. I didn't back down from taller or more powerful players then, I wouldn't back down from this challenge, either. Regardless how it came about, this task would make people happy.

"I'll do it. When do I start?" I asked.

"Tomorrow. Get some sleep first. Things are always better for you in the morning, anyway."

She was right. I functioned better in the morning. I didn't question how she knew that.

"I am exhausted. I think I'll—"

Before I finished, she disappeared. The only thing that remained of her visit was the stack of money and the paper with the rules. I wondered how she would know if I didn't follow them.

"Oh, I'll know." Her voice came out of nowhere.

I was far too tired to ask more questions. I turned the lights off, undressed in the dark, and went to bed.

The next morning I took five bills off the stack of money and locked the rest in my safe. I tucked the rules into my purse. Maybe I would find someone who needed a smile. I could at least try, I figured.

Work went as usual. I didn't see anyone who I thought fit the rules, though. After work, I stopped at the fabric shop. I needed material to make stockings for my nieces and nephews. Turning into an aisle, my cart bumped into another shopper.

"Excuse me," I said.

"No harm done," the woman replied. I went back to shopping but wondered about the huge stack of material filling her cart. My curiosity got the best of me and I moved closer to her again.

"It looks like you'll be busy for quite some time."

"I'm making quilts for veterans. I enjoy giving back to those who served our Country. But this might be the last I do for a few months. My car needed repairs that took a huge chunk of money," she said.

I felt a nudge behind me but didn't see anyone. A voice popped into my head reminding me of the challenge. I looked at the woman and smiled.

"I admire what you're doing and would like to help."

"You don't even know me. Why would you want to help?"

The woman watched as I opened my wallet. I took out a hundred dollar bill and passed it over to her.

"I can't—"

"You can. Please accept it so you can continue your mission."

The woman looked at the money as if it was gold. Then she wiped the tears from her eyes and smiled.

"Bless you," she whispered.

I pushed my cart to the exit and walked out. I could buy material later. Tears gathered on my eyelashes. Maybe this challenge wouldn't be so difficult after all. I couldn't wait to see who the next recipient would be.

Giving the money away became easier each time. Everywhere I went I saw someone who looked as if they needed something to make them smile. Yet I wasn't always sure they fit the criteria. I needed to be more diligent about completing the task. Christmas wasn't far away.

One evening I decided to make a pizza for dinner. Because I didn't have all the ingredients, I made a quick trip to the local grocery store. It didn't take long before I had everything I needed. With most of the checkout lanes open, I chose the one that looked the shortest. I noticed the young girl ahead of me appeared frazzled. A car seat strapped to the cart held a baby who slept peacefully.

"I don't have enough," the young girl said to the cashier. "I thought I did . . ."

The elderly woman running the cash register nodded. She waited as the young girl rummaged through her purse.

"I need those things for my baby."

The cashier lifted her shoulders in a light shrug. I was sure she didn't have a solution.

"Her father is supposed to pay child support but he isn't. I don't know what to do," she said.

I moved my cart to be closer to the young girl. Then I opened my wallet and pulled out a hundred-dollar bill.

"Here, let me help."

Her gasp came at the same time as the cashiers. I smiled at the young girl and pressed the money into her hand.

"But—"

"Consider it a Christmas gift," I said.

"Why would you do this?" she whispered.

"Sharing makes me happy. Buy what you need for the baby and get a little gift for yourself."

Her smile warmed my heart. I took my cart and wandered aimlessly through the store. Finally I paid for my groceries and went home. My dinner was late that night, but I didn't care. I gave the young mother a reason to smile.

The next recipient came about while I was at work. Darren Thomas stopped by every few weeks to service the office equipment. I noticed how distracted he was—most times he was cheery and talkative.

"How's your family, Darren?"

It was the same question I always asked him. I wasn't nosy; he often shared interesting activities and events involving his family.

"Jen just called. She's in labor."

"I thought she wasn't due for another month or so," I said.

He often talked about his wife and the new baby.

"She has seven weeks left."

I wondered why he wasn't going home to be with her. He answered before I asked the question.

"The fuel pump went out on my car last night. It's in the shop now but the mechanic has to order a new one. That will take another day. I could take the train, but, well, I'm really strapped right now. And the added expense of the repairs . . ."

"Have you checked into a car rental?"

"Sammie, I'm broke. I work long hours only the company doesn't pay for overtime. And my last bonus wasn't even enough to cover the electric bill," he said.

I hadn't given birth or even been married, but I imagined how scared I would be to go into labor so early. Darren needed to be with his wife. I hoped my offer helped.

"Darren, you need to be home. There's a place on the edge of town that rents cars by the day. I bet you could get one at a decent price," I said.

"I don't have—"

I held out a hundred-dollar bill. He stared, unsure what it meant.

"Take this to cover the rental."

"I can't let you pay—"

"It's a gift. Accept it and drive home safely."

"Why would you do this?" he said.

I thought for a few seconds. Alaleah hadn't told me what to tell people if they questioned the gift.

"Consider it a baby gift," I said.

The words felt foreign although I knew I was the one who said them. I glanced around the room, expecting to see Alaleah floating around.

"Sammie, I don't know what to say."

Darren wasn't the emotional type. At least, I hadn't encountered that characteristic from him before. He leaned against the desk and wiped his eyes. I pressed the money into his palm.

"If you call them now, they'll send someone here to get you."

I typed the company's name into the computer and wrote their local office's number down. He took the paper from me and smiled.

"You're an angel. Thank you, thank you so much," he whispered.

He left with a spring in his step. A warm feeling ran across my back. I knew that Alaleah was in the room somewhere and that she approved.

Over the next week I found three more people to surprise. The first was a college student who worked three part-time jobs to cover tuition. He wouldn't be able to see his parents over the holiday break from school because he was using all his wages to buy books for the next semester. Although the gift wasn't a huge amount, it was enough to give the young man hope. He vowed to graduate with honors and help someone else in need.

Next was my elderly neighbor. His only grandson died from heart failure while playing in a basketball game. A nurse attempted resuscitation but couldn't save him. After his funeral, his friends began collecting money to purchase defibrillators for the school. The sadness I saw in the man's face changed when I gave him the money. His smile was all the thanks I needed.

Then there was the wealthy woman at the hair salon. She ordered the beautician around and used derogatory names. I knew she didn't need the money, but she could learn how to smile. I approached her with more confidence than I felt.

"Excuse me, ma'am." I stood next to her and waited.

"Who the hell are you?"

"That isn't important. What is, though, is how you're treating this young woman. I realize you might have an excuse for your behavior, but whatever is happening in your life right now isn't her fault."

The woman opened her mouth but shut it again before speaking. Then her entire demeanor changed.

"I'm not a bad person. I just . . . everything fell apart . . . but you're right and I apologize," she said, facing the hairdresser.

"Whatever you're dealing with, you should know there's always someone who cares."

I reached into my purse for one of the hundred-dollar bills. Her fingers trembled as she took the money. Her sobs quieted the entire room. I waited, somehow knowing she would speak again.

"I have nothing anymore. My husband took everything and left. He sold our house without my knowledge. At the end of the month, I'll be homeless. I came here today thinking if I had my hair done the way he always liked it that he might come back. My hurt came out when I saw myself in the mirror."

"Your hair is gorgeous," the beautician said, speaking for the first time in several minutes.

"No, I'm old, and tired, and he's younger and active. I knew I couldn't keep up with him when we met. Maybe this is for the best. I can stop pretending to be someone I'm not and enjoy life again." She stood to face me. "Thank you. I won't forget you."

Her smile transformed her face. I nodded and smiled when I felt the heat running along my spine. Alaleah approved again.

But I was running out of time. Christmas was only a week away and I still had to find people who needed a reason to smile.

"You can do this, Sammie," Alaleah said after appearing as her human form that evening. "I have faith you'll succeed."

"Where can I find that many people so soon?"

"They'll be right where you wouldn't expect them, honey. You've helped people who obviously needed something to smile about. Now look beyond them and you'll find what you need."

I wasn't sure what she meant, but before I could reply, she was gone. Her words stuck with me as I prepared for bed. Maybe they would make more sense in the morning. The sun was out when I woke and I forgot all about my conversation with Alaleah until I came across a teacher from the local high school. A recent storm caused a large tree branch to fall through her roof. Although she had insurance, she lost several family heirlooms from water damage. I couldn't replace them but the gift of the hundred-dollars would always be a good memory for her. I came across another recipient at the gas station. The young father with two small children was on his way to a town across the state where his parents lived because the factory where he worked closed and left him without a job. Without an income, he accepted their offer to live with them. His money ran out before he reached their destination. His tears confirmed he was the perfect candidate for Alaleah's challenge.

Finally, one more person was all I needed. Thinking of the people I talked to during Alaleah's task lightened my mood. I hadn't fully understood the purpose in the beginning—other than giving away money. As I spent more time thinking about it, I realized I would have one hundred memories to take with me forever.

The next afternoon, I decided to walk around my neighborhood to see the decorations, including over-sized holiday cards, lighted reindeer, and inflatable snowmen. The displays were impressive. I envied the creativity, especially the replica of a sleigh, complete with what appeared to be handmade reindeer. I stopped to admire them when an elderly man came out of the house.

"The sleigh is gorgeous," I said.

"My son and I built it when he was eleven and full of energy. I remember how excited he was to find a scrap of wood he thought we could use. He's thirty-five now."

"What a great memory."

The man dropped his shoulders and sighed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to intrude . . ."

"You didn't. I've been working all day to repair one of the deer vandalized last night. My son is coming home for the first time in ten years so we can spend the holidays together. I wanted to surprise him and have the display just as we made it years ago."

The deer on his lawn didn't appear damaged. My confusion must have shown.

"Rudolph," he said without explaining more.

I hadn't noticed the famous reindeer was missing. The old man's voice gave away his hurt. Although I didn't know how much repairs would cost, the damage wasn't about the money. Whoever wrecked the deer took away the original piece he and his son designed and assembled. I couldn't turn the clock back, but there was a way I could help. My hand went to my jacket pocket to retrieve a crisp hundred-dollar bill.

"The sleigh and reindeer make a gorgeous display. I can see how much you're affected by this."

"I protected it for all these years. One act of irresponsible behavior changed everything," he said.

The man didn't live too far from where I did. In fact, I often went past his property when I took a walk. His yard, with rows of flowers and shrubs, matched those I saw in magazines. His friendly waves always boosted my moods. I wanted to make the sadness disappear. He deserved to be happy.

"This might help."

He glanced at the money but didn't say anything. It was a gift, not an insult, and I hoped he saw it that way.

"I know it won't repair the images of the damages. If you need to buy lumber or nails or anything else to fix Rudolph, this should help."

He didn't move. I began to wonder if he heard me when he suddenly walked over to where I stood.

_Lynn_
_Lynn_
273 Followers
12