Making an Honest Woman Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We sat like that for a while, until I said, "All right, I think it's time we all went to sleep; it's been a big day." Alyssa and Sophie stood up. I kissed Alyssa, and said, "C'mon, Sophie, let's go brush your teeth, and I'll tuck you in." Ellen reached again for Alyssa, but our older daughter turned on her heel and rushed upstairs, followed by her sister.

"I don't know if I should keep trying tonight, or leave her alone for now," Ellen said, dejectedly.

"Why not leave it for tonight; we're all tired. I'll stop in and see if I can get her to get her to talk to you tomorrow," I told her.

"Thank you. I don't deserve your help, but I'm grateful for it," she said. "What you said about your not being blameless-"

"Was true," I said. "It doesn't excuse what you did, but I need to be honest with myself if I want to heal. As for my help, you'll always have it, if you need it, no matter what happens. But right now I'm doing this for Alyssa. She's going to need her mother, and I couldn't stand to see her alienated from you. She'll come around; just try to be patient."

True to my word, I gently told Alyssa that she would regret it if she froze her mother out, and I think she heard me. Therapy was definitely in her future, though. I think I was able to reassure Sophie enough for her to get to sleep, but I knew that she would ride the coattails of Alyssa's attitude to the problem, and made a mental note to remind the big sister that, like it or not, she was setting an example for how to act in the face of adversity.

Then I went to our bedroom and got a bag that I had quietly packed earlier, and brought it downstairs. Ellen was waiting for me.

"This is really happening," she said, and I could see her eyes begin to fill again.

"Yes." I'd known this was going to be hard, but I'd had no idea just how bad it'd feel. "I'll see you tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully we can settle on a therapist."

"I love you," she said, as I opened the front door.

"I love you, too," I replied, then stepped through it and walked to my car.