Marianne and Christopher

Story Info
What Happens Right After Sense and Sensibility...
5.9k words
4.73
7.8k
8
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is my imaginings of what happened right after Sense and Sensibility. My apologies to Miss Jane Austen. (I used the Emma Thompson movie version as my inspiration.)

Please enjoy!

*****

Marianne looked up at her new husband and felt the rise of pride in her bosom as he tossed another handful of golden coins into the sky. They rained down on the village children eliciting giggles and cheers as they hastily stuffed their pockets with enough money to buy all the candies and ribbons they could want. Marianne peered up into her husband's face. His eyes glistened in the mid afternoon sun. The lines around his smiling mouth that had once disqualified him from her affections now brought joy to her. His brown hair, just starting to have grey seep in at the temples was bleached golden by the sun and the hours he spent on horseback.

He smiled down at her and she felt her heart jump into her throat as her mind filled with the expectations and anxiousness of the coming evening, but her excitement was still larger and she returned his smile. He took his seat beside her and took one of her dainty hands in his large leather gloved ones. The carriage jolted forward as they began to move causing another joyous cry from the children and onlookers. Marianne peered out and waved to her mother one more time. She looked for her younger sister Margaret, but she was busy chasing around with streamers with the other girls her age. One more look afforded her a shared moment with her elder sister and closest friend Elinor.

Elinor stood next to her own husband Edward. Their own wedding had been only a month prior. Though only a few miles away, Marianne had desperately missed the constant closeness of her dear sister. In her new home she would again be within walking distance from Elinor, yet with both of them having young marriages she knew that the intimacy that had shared their whole lives was now forever changed.

She glanced again to her husband who was waving his last goodbyes to Sir John and Mrs. Jennings. The love she felt for him was strong and steady. It was so different from what she had felt for Willoughby. The fiery passions that had excited her breast had given way to the loyal affection of a good man who she knew would never leave her side come fortune or famine. She sincerely hoped that he would someday be the supreme confidant that had until now been her sister.

The carriage turned a corner and the crowds outside the Dorsetshire church disappeared. Leaving Marianne alone with Colonel Brandon and the coachman. Brandon looked down at their clasped hands then up into the eyes of his bride.

"Was the ceremony to your liking, my love?"

"Of course!" she squeezed his hands. "Edward did a splendid job in his first marriage ceremony. His oration has come such long way since the first time he read aloud to us at Norland."

Brandon chuckled and nodding encouraging Marianne to continue her story.

"I'm afraid I embarrassed him so when I stopped his reading to critique him. Elinor was sure to tell me I had been too harsh with him. And of course, I should have stopped to realize that any criticism of his reading reflected as a criticism of him."

"I do not think the incident proved too much of a hindrance and as the newest Mr. and Mrs. Ferrars seem to be very happy."

"To be sure," Marianne agreed. "And I am happy that you have never given me cause to question your reading."

"Thank you, my dear. I do attempt to put forth a passionate exercise whenever I am called upon."

Marianne's heart pounded at what she assumed was an intended double meaning on the part of her husband. She felt the blush grow in her cheeks and had to look away from her husband's piercing eyes. She thought she caught the hint of a smirk at his mouth confirming her guess that his entendre had been intentional.

She was saved from having to follow up her husband's candid comment by the carriage which had come to the crest of the final great hill. From their vantage she knew they could see the entirety of Colonel Brandon's vast estate. The nearest building was the smokehouse which started a path to the stables and carriage house. The far edge was defined by the small cottage which sat on the edge of the pond that she knew Brandon fished with Sir John. In the middle of the pastoral scene was the great house: Delaford.

It's great white columns stood proudly on the home of which Marianne was now mistress. She had been to Delaford a great many times on picnics and excursions, but approaching the house knowing it was to be her home filled her with emotion. It was even bigger than her childhood home of Norland and she knew the people of Dorsetshire looked to Delaford to be the center of the county now that a woman would be running the house.

As the carriage came down the hill and into the valley she felt the Colonel's hand on her waist over the silk of her wedding dress. She looked back at him and he was gazing at her. The light in his eyes was even brighter than usual. She saw him glance up toward that coachman and seeing that he was well engrossed in guiding the horses down the valley, Brandon leaned toward Marianne and gently placed his lips on hers.

It was not Marianne's first kiss. She had regrettably let John Willoughby kiss her on numerous occasions when they felt they had the privacy. Nor was it her first kiss with Colonel Brandon. She had kissed him on the evening of his return from town where he had sent her a pianoforte for the front room at Barton Cottage and again when she had accepted his proposal of marriage. Willoughby's kisses had always been quick and forceful, done in the heat of the moment with constant fear of being discovered by her sisters or mother. Her first kisses with Brandon had been swift and chaste; not void of feeling, but erring on the side of decorum and respectability.

But this kiss was entirely new. Brandon's lips were soft and warm and though he was tender and slow, she sensed the urgency behind his movements. She had expected him to kiss her then pull away, but instead he moved closer to her and placed one leather bound hand against her cheek. He looked into her face and gave her one of his crooked half smiles she'd come to love and he kissed her again. She placed her hand over his and gladly accepted. She felt the tip of his tongue against her lip and when she sighed it fluttered between her lips and into her own mouth.

After what felt like an eternity and yet no time at all, Brandon pulled his face away from Marianne's.

"Welcome home, Mrs. Brandon."

Marianne looked around her and the carriage had come to a stop. They were mere feet from the front door of the great house. The coachman was still sitting at the front of the carriage staring ahead. Marianne wondered if he had been instructed to do so.

The Colonel stood and exited the carriage. He held his hand to his young bride who gingerly stepped from the carriage to the rocky path. She smiled and took his arm. Brandon waved to the coachman who drove the carriage away and curved back toward the stables.

The couple walked to the house and the door opened to them. At the threshold Brandon stopped,

"May I?"

Marianne had a moment of confusion, but she rang out in peals of laughter as Colonel Brandon lifted her from her feet and carried her into their home.

"Colonel Brandon! This is not the first time you have carried me home," she reminded. "But this is a great deal more joyous than that day at Mr. Palmer's home in Cleveland."

"A very great deal," Brandon agreed setting her onto her feet.

Marianne's smile was as big at it had ever been until she realized that of course they were not alone in the front hall of their new home. She saw that many of the household servants were there waiting to welcome the new Mrs. Brandon to Delaford.

Seeing Marianne's embarrassment, Brandon quickly spoke, "Good afternoon, as you all know this is my wife, Mrs. Marianne Brandon."

They all gave nods and smiles of welcome. Marianne recognized almost all of them from her visits, but knew them very little.

"You will all have ample opportunity to learn how Mrs. Brandon will run her house and you are to listen to in everything. I'm sure that she will have different ways than having been a bachelor running a house for so long...and with that you are all dismissed except Barnes, Miss Amelia, and Mrs. Spratt. Most of the staff exited via the hall door, but three mentioned remained.

"Marianne, please meet Mr. Roland Barnes, my valet; Miss Amelia Pigeon your lady's maid; and our cook Mrs. Philippa Spratt. Mrs. Spratt will be serving our dinner tonight. I've given everyone else the evening off in celebration. I hope you do not mind."

"Of course not," Marianne agreed. "It is so wonderful to meet you all and I do hope that we will get along splendidly."

"Are you hungry, my dear?"

Marianne had not given a moment's thought to her stomach all day, but did not want to seem rude to her new staff, "Yes, dinner would be lovely."

"Then you have your first decision to make a lady of the house," Brandon explained. "Would you like to have dinner in the dining room or on the balcony outside our sitting room?"

"Really?" Marianne smiled. "We could take dinner on the balcony?"

"I thought you would like that option," Brandon smiled. "Mrs. Spratt, if you would finish preparations."

Mrs. Spratt left toward the kitchen and the Colonel took off his gloves and handed them to his valet, "Barnes, I will meet you in my dressing room to change for dinner. Miss Amelia, please prepare Mrs. Brandon's dinner clothes."

Both chamber servants left for the grand stairs.

"I hope you do not mind, Marianne, if I show you to your new rooms myself," he offered her his arm again.

"Of course, Colonel!"

They set off toward the staircase and halfway up Brandon stopped, "Marianne, would you do something for me? Would you call me by my Christian name when we are at home?"

Marianne looked up at him and her stomach tensed; no one called the Colonel by his first name, not even Sir John. But, she reminded herself, he is my husband now.

"I believe I could do that...Christopher."

He smiled down and her and lowered his lips to her again before continuing up the stairs.

At the second floor, Marianne was in entirely new territory and let her husband lead her fully. They started down a hallway with two doors on the right side. They stopped at the first door and he pushed the door open.

Marianne was taken aback by the splendor of the room. Having spent the last two years in a small cottage, the finely finished walls and rich fabrics that hung around the windows were blessed luxury. To her right sat fine chaise lounge on a plush carpet. French doors led out to the balcony through which she could see Mrs. Spratt setting the silverware for dinner. Near the doors sat a vanity that matched two towering armoires in the room.

Marianne stepped in and removed her wedding bonnet with the trailing cathedral veil of lace and set it on the edge of the chaise. She turned back to the Colonel who was also smiling.

"Oh, Col-Christopher! I absolutely adore it all!" Marianne allowed herself to react ardently in the presence of the only her husband and she took both his hands in hers and pulled him to her. He obliged her and lowered himself for a kiss. This kiss was the most intense yet and did not stop after a few moments. Marianne felt Christopher drop her hands and his fingers met her cheeks, her neck, and into her golden curls. She slipped her own arms around his waist and held him to her. Christopher took his lips from hers and started to plant kisses from her mouth down her chin and toward her ear. He lingered on the spot just below her ear and flitted his tongue just below her earlobe.

Marianne was excited by the entirely new sensations that were coursing through her body, and when his tongue darted near her earlobe she let out a gasping moan.

She had not meant to be so vocal, and was disappointed when Christopher pulled away from her suddenly. The disappointment must have shown on her face, because Christopher was quick to console her.

"I'm sorry, my love. I did not mean to startle you," Christopher shifted awkwardly, leaving his hands folding in front of him. "We should not let ourselves get carried away so soon. We have a grand meal awaiting us and we have all of tonight and then our lives to...enjoy each other's company."

"Of course," Marianne smiled at her husband, "I will get changed for dinner."

She watched Colonel Brandon leave and close the door behind him. Marianne wondered why Christopher had stood so unlike himself before he'd left, but remembered what her sister Elinor had told her just the night before-that a husband became aroused when ready to make love to his wife. Marianne blushed slightly at the thought that this arousal had happened so quickly. Yet she had felt it in her own body as well. Her cheeks were flush as well as her chest. Her heart had started to beat faster and that moment when his mouth connected with her ear she had been unable to keep quiet.

She wandered about her new room feeling the heavy jacquard of the drapes, the finely finished wood of the vanity mirror and moved to the first of the two high armoires. She opened the doors and revealed a wardrobe full of dresses. She recognized the dresses she and her mother had carefully packed from home had been hung next to some exquisite new dresses that she could only imagine had been made just for her at the Colonel's request.

She was fingering the heavy silk of a gorgeous peachy pink dress when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," she called.

Miss Amelia Pigeon entered the room. "May I help you dress for dinner ma'am?"

"Yes, please" Marianne laughed to herself at the strangeness of being called ma'am for the first time.

Amelia came into the room and joined Marianne at the armoire, "Have you already chosen the one you would like to wear tonight?"

Marianne smiled and pointed to the peachy pink silk that had caught her eye and Amelia carefully lifted it from the rack of dresses. She took the dress to the chaise and laid it out. She then moved across the room to the other lofty cabinet.

The opening of this one revealed drawers upon drawers and at the bottom three rows of brand new shoes. Marianne gasped knowing none of these came from the village cobbler but must have been purchased in London.

Amelia pulled a fresh corset cover from one of the drawers and stockings from another. She had already become well acquainted with the layout of her mistress's room.

Marianne was no longer accustomed to the help of a lady's maid and awkwardly turned away from Amelia as she started to unhook the closures of her wedding dress. She struggled with the tight hooks under her breasts, but Amelia was happy to help.

"I am sorry, I am not used to the finery of this house," Marianne explained.

Amelia smiled up at her, "Do not worry, ma'am, we are happy to help. We are all so very happy that the Colonel has brought home a bride."

Marianne smiled and happily let Amelia do the detail work of undressing her. She peered around the room again and noticed a door opposite the chaise longue.

"Amelia-Forgive me, may I call you Amelia instead of Miss Pigeon?" Amelia nodded and Marianne continued, "Where does that door lead?"

Amelia tried to hide a smile, "Ma'am that is the bedroom."

"Oh, of course," Marianne felt silly for not realizing. "And beyond that is the Colonel's bedroom?"

"No, ma'am, the last room is Colonel Brandon's dressing room; there is just the one bedroom."

"Yes," Marianne said breathlessly, "I do suppose that makes sense."

Marianne stayed silent the rest of the time, trying to not let the nights coming events scare her. Amelia helped remove the heavy wedding dress and hung it up in the wardrobe. She took the corset cover and stockings and placed them in a basket along the wall. Before she redressed Marianne, Amelia retightened Marianne's corset. She noticed that Amelia has tightened the garment differently than her mother or sister did, giving a little more breathing room at her stomach but cinching even tighter at the under bust. She noticed a change in the pronouncement of her bosom that she was sure would not be unseemly to the Colonel.

Then the layering began: stockings, corset cover, two petticoats and the glorious dress. Marianne marveled at the perfect fit of the dress. Amelia selected a pair of shoes from the second wardrobe and laced them. Marianne sat at the vanity and let Amelia freshen her hair while she tried to calm the fluttering in her chest.

Hair reset and a small bit of color added to her lips, Marianne was ready for dinner. Amelia drew back the voile inner curtains that had shrouded the windows and swung open the French doors.

Marianne walked out onto the balcony and was overwhelmed by the beautiful view. The trees were full of green leaves, the pond glistening in the sun that was just beginning to set. A family of geese paddled lazily near the water's edge. But in front of it wall was Colonel Christopher Brandon. He stood looking out at the water and did not hear Marianne at first.

He was dressed in brown breeches and a new ivory shirt; he had excluded a vest and cravat and the neck of his shirt hung open under the sapphire blue tailcoat with shiny silver buttons.

He looked up and Marianne's stomach did a flip as he smiled at her.

"My love," he approached and took her hands. He kissed her softly on the cheek and lead to the small table that had been set up for their dinner. He handed her a glass of champagne and lead her to the edge of the balcony where he had been standing.

He wrapped an arm around her waist and his hand rested where her leg met her torso. The heat emanating from that hand had Marianne so unfocused she had no idea what Christopher was saying. She took a sip of the champagne but noticed she was shaking with anticipation.

"Marianne, are you alright?" Christopher asked. His hand slipping from her waist as he turned to face her.

The hand gone, she could at least form an answer, "Yes my dear, I believe I am quite hungry after all."

"Of course, my darling!" He strode to the table and pulled out her chair. She sat saw him gesture toward the French doors of his own dressing room. The doors swung open and Mrs. Spratt rolled out a bronze cart. From the cart she placed two domed plates. Once the Colonel had sat and both had placed their napkins in their laps, she lifted the covers to reveal lobster tail over thin pasta in a lemon cream sauce.

"How delightful!" Marianne exulted.

"Please enjoy," Mrs. Spratt nodded and rolled her cart back into the house.

Christopher lifted his fork and Marianne followed. They ate mostly in silence, gazing at each other over their supper as the sun set over the lake. When they had both set down their forks in completion Christopher refilled their glasses and they rose again.

Again looking out over the lake, the sun was nearing the horizon. Two glasses of champagne had eased Marianne's nerves and she focused on the sound of her husband's breathing just behind her ear. He finished his glass and set it on the stone railing of the balcony freeing his hands to wrap around her delicate waist. Marianne took a deep breath in and when her shoulders raised the bare skin at the top of her back met Christopher's waiting lips.

He kissed her shoulders and moved on to her neck. His fingers began to run small traces over her stomach. Marianne cursed the corset the kept the sensations from their full potential. Christopher's moved his head to position his mouth at Marianne's ear. The flicker of his tongue that elicited such a response earlier had the same effect now. Marianne moaned softly at the glorious feeling and this time her lover did not pull away but moved to her side gaining access to her chin, her cheeks, and finally her mouth.

12