Marrying for Money Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
haremgirl
haremgirl
1,357 Followers

What bothered Leanna even more was the fact that Eliza had become even bolder in her attempts to seduce Trevor. Eliza flirted with him openly, even in front of Leanna, and Trevor didn't seem to mind. Leanna began to wonder whether Trevor was merely using her body to satisfy his secret longings for Eliza. Because of her insecurity, Leanna was convinced that Trevor would eventually lose interest in her.

Christmas day dawned cold and crisp. For once, Trevor slept in with his wife, and when she awoke, she felt his firm, strong arms wrapped around her. She opened her eyes and found him watching her, a thoughtful expression in his clear blue eyes. She wondered what he was thinking, but before she could voice her question, he gave her a peck on the nose and rose from the bed.

Trevor handed a gift wrapped box to Leanna with a boyish smile. "Merry Christmas," he said softly.

Leanna sat up in bed as she accepted the present and slowly unwrapped the ribbon from around the box. When she lifted the top, she gasped in wonder. A beautiful box of carved mahogany with inlaid pieces of colored wood was cradled inside. She gently lifted the box out, and when she opened the lid, a haunting melody rose up from within. Leanna's eyes filled with tears as she recognized the Moonlight Sonata, and she anxiously searched Trevor's face. She remembered when she had played that same song on the piano a few weeks before, and how she had sobbed afterward.

"Did you . . ." she swallowed and tried again, "Were you there . . . did you hear me when I was playing?" she whispered.

Trevor brushed a teardrop from beneath her eye with the pad of his thumb. "Yes, and I heard you when you were crying," he said softly. When Leanna would have turned away, he gripped her chin gently with his fingers, forcing her to meet his gaze. "Why were you crying? Tell me." His eyes pleaded with her to tell him why she was so unhappy.

For long moments, Leanna stared at him. How could she tell him that she was afraid of his feelings for Eliza and that she was terrified of losing him? If he did love the other woman, Leanna would come across as a jealous, whining wife, a pitiful ball and chain. Besides, Leanna didn't know whether she would be able to endure hearing him admit that he was still in love with Eliza.

Leanna looked down at the box, unable to meet his eyes while she voiced a lie. "I guess I was just feeling homesick. I miss Jeremy and Christina."

Trevor watched Leanna and felt his heart constrict in his chest. Why wouldn't she confide in him? He knew she was lying. Simply missing her brother and sister-in-law wouldn't have caused her to sob her heart out. He wondered what else he could do to draw her out of her shell.

Leanna closed the box and the music abruptly ended. She traced the wood with her fingers and smiled wistfully. "Thank you, Trevor. It's lovely."

Trevor had to tell her that he loved her. It might be the only way to reach her. Suddenly his fears seemed insignificant in light of her sorrow, and he knew it was the right thing to do.

"Leanna, there's something I need to tell you . . ."

Leanna rose abruptly, cutting him off. "I have something for you too," she said softly. She went to the desk and withdrew a long, rolled parcel tied with a red ribbon. She laid it on his lap and gave him a shy smile. "I hope you like it."

Trevor swallowed hard and gently unrolled the parcel. Inside was a watercolor painting of The Meadows. Every line of his home had been reproduced with painstaking attention to detail, and he looked up at her with genuine admiration in his eyes.

"Did you do this?" At her nod, he returned his attention to the painting. "It's beautiful," he said sincerely. "I had no idea you were such a talented artist."

Leanna smiled faintly. "I meant to get it framed, but we haven't had a chance to go into town."

"Thank you," Trevor murmured setting the painting aside as he clasped her hand and pulled her down onto his lap for a tender kiss. When he lifted his head, there were tears in her eyes and her chin was trembling. He had to tell her how he felt, he couldn't stand to see her so unhappy. He cleared his throat and tried again. "Leanna, I . . . you really should know . . . what I mean to say is . . ."

There was a knock on the door, and Leanna hopped off his lap as if she had been scalded, turning her back to the door and quickly wiping at her eyes. Trevor growled in frustration before he yanked open the door.

Camilla was standing with fresh towels and scented soap for Leanna's bath, and she beamed up at him. "Good morning to you, Mister Trevor, Miss Leanna and Merry Christmas." She bustled in, gaily chattering to Leanna, and Trevor watched as the two women disappeared into the dressing room. He knew it would only be moments before more servants arrived carrying water for Leanna's bath. Their moment of privacy was over.

Trevor looked toward the ceiling. The longer he waited, the harder it was getting. Trevor had never been a coward, so why couldn't he just tell his wife how he felt? He would have to find an opportunity to speak with Leanna, a time when they would not be interrupted. He heaved a frustrated sigh before dressing and going down to breakfast.

Leanna waited until she was alone in the bath to sob out her despair. Trevor had been about to admit to her that he was still in love with Eliza, she was sure of it. Leanna had never seen him so uncertain, so nervous about talking to her. Thank goodness Camilla had arrived when she had, otherwise Leanna would have completely disgraced herself, likely melting into a spineless heap at her husband's feet, begging him not to leave her. Leanna cringed in self-disgust and sobbed all the harder.

She wasn't ready to face losing Trevor. Her only defense was to make sure he didn't get another opportunity to ask her for a divorce. At least until her emotions were less raw. She wanted to be able to comport herself with some dignity when the time came for his confession, and for that, she would need time to come to grips with her emotions.

**********

Over the next few days, Trevor's frustration continued to build. Each time he found some time alone with his wife she would plead a headache or exhaustion and quickly go to bed. He had never known his wife to sleep so much. When he tried to talk with her in the mornings, Leanna would interrupt him, chatting brightly about a million insignificant things but never giving him a chance to express himself. He was at his wits end.

Leanna, for her part, was profoundly miserable. She didn't have anyone to confide in, and she felt very alone.

It had been nearly three weeks since their arrival at The Meadows when everything changed. Leanna, Amanda and Eliza were sitting in the parlor. Suddenly, Amanda gasped and jumped up from the settee, just as a pool of clear fluid began to form at her feet. Her eyes opened wide in surprise and she clutched both hands to her belly, suddenly quite scared. Eliza and Leanna were no less startled, and they both came to lend support, as Amanda looked from one to the other, at a loss as to what to do.

"I think it's time for the baby to come," Amanda whispered faintly.

Leanna leaped into action, taking firm command over the situation. "We need to get you up to your bedroom, and I'll rouse the household and tell them to make the necessary preparations."

The two women helped Amanda mount the stairs, and within moments, they had her deposited on the edge of her thick feather bed. Leanna ran to the wardrobe and brought back a clean nightgown for her to wear. They helped her don it, and Leanna left Eliza at her side while she went in search of Camilla. Leanna fired off instructions to get the household ready for the birth and she told the servants to send word to Steven and Trevor and to send someone for the midwife.

Leanna had only been gone a few moments, but when she returned to Amanda's bedside, her sister-in-law was already having strong pains, and her brow was covered in sweat. Eliza wrung her hands in agitation beside the bed, looking pathetically confused. It was Leanna who poured fresh water into a basin and brought it to the bedside table. She took a clean cloth and dampened it, laying it across Amanda's worried brow.

"Everything will be just fine, Amanda. There's no need to worry. I have sent for Steven and the doctor."

For once, Amanda's smile was sincere as she looked at Leanna with gratitude. "Thank you. I must confess I'm quite scared. Was it hard for you, Eliza?"

They both turned to see Eliza grimacing. "I really don't remember much about it. John brought the doctor as soon as my pains started, and he gave me ether to ease the pain. All I remember is waking up and the baby had been born."

The other women looked at her, too stunned to respond. They had both been depending on her knowledge, and now they were at a loss as to how to proceed. Sensing Amanda's growing panic, Leanna turned to her and grasped her hand.

"Amanda, please don't worry. Babies are born all the time, and there really is nothing to it. Why, I have an aunt who birthed six children with no trouble at all, and she said it is really quite simple."

Amanda nodded, taking some small comfort from her words. Steven arrived before long, and his face was devoid of his usual humor as he watched Amanda endure another strong pain. Eliza slipped out of the room without a word, and Amanda frowned in confusion. She had been counting on her friend to help her.

The midwife arrived within the hour. She was a middle aged woman, with a sturdy build and intelligent eyes. She approached the bed and smiled kindly down at Amanda.

"Hello Mrs. Grayson," she said with quiet assurance. "My name's Maggie, and I've come to help."

Amanda felt instantly at ease with the woman, and she smiled her relief. "Thank you for coming, I'm so glad you are here." She paused as another pain gripped her body.

The midwife watched her with interest, making her own assessments about how far she had progressed in her labor. She asked for hot water, clean towels, and soap, and she rolled up her sleeves to get down to work.

As the hours dragged on, Leanna and Camilla worked tirelessly alongside the midwife to comfort Amanda and coax her through the pains. Steven had been banished early on, as his obvious distress was simply making it more difficult for his wife to relax. As the pains grew more intense, Amanda focused on Leanna with increasing regularity, their gazes locking and their hands gripped together.

When the time finally came to push, all three women encouraged her, the midwife giving her support and guidance, as Amanda labored to birth her baby. Leanna's eyes opened wide in wonder, when a tiny head finally emerged, and Amanda's son came sliding out into the world, squalling loudly.

Amanda's face, though tired, was wreathed in smiles as she cooed to her tiny infant son. "Oh, he's lovely. A perfectly beautiful little angel." She glanced up to see Leanna regarding them both with tears of joy in her eyes. "Oh Leanna, thank you. Thank you for staying with me and helping me." She didn't need to say anything else, for her gratitude was apparent on her shining face.

Leanna smiled graciously and brushed her hair back from her sweaty brow. "It was my pleasure. Congratulations, Amanda."

Leanna made her way down to the parlor, where Steven was restlessly pacing under Trevor's amused eyes. Eliza was nowhere to be seen, and Leanna wondered where she had gone. Dismissing the question for the moment, she turned to Steven with a broad grin.

"You have a son. He and Amanda are both fine."

Steven swept her into his arms and whirled her around in circles until she squealed as he yelled for joy. When he finally deposited her back on her feet again, they were all three laughing.

"Can I see her now?" he questioned anxiously.

"Yes, of course," she laughed. He didn't even pause to hear the rest of her statement before mounting the stairs at record speed.

Trevor placed an arm around her shoulders as they stood beside each other, watching him go. When he disappeared out of sight, Trevor turned her to face him, his arms around her narrow waist, and he bent to kiss her softly. Although the kiss was brief, it stole her breath, and Leanna's eyes fluttered open to see her husband watching her with a tender smile.

"I'm very proud of you for staying with Amanda when she needed you. I know it's been hard on you these past weeks, but I think you made a friend for life today. Amanda is not one to lightly discard a kindness done for her, especially during her time of need."

Leanna felt her eyes misting over. "I hope so. I would truly like for us to become friends."

Trevor cupped her cheek in his palm, while he tenderly traced her bottom lip with his thumb. Desire flared in his loins. He hadn't made love to Leanna for several days. He had been too preoccupied with the tension between them and trying to find out why Leanna was so sad. Holding her like this made him want to reach her even more.

Seeing the intensity in his eyes, Leanna held her breath. "What?" she questioned breathlessly.

Trevor's voice was husky as he slowly bent to claim her lips again. Just before their lips touched he whispered, "I want you."

He claimed her lips in a heated kiss, letting their passion grow by slow degrees until it nearly consumed them. Leanna could feel the burning heat of his manhood pressing against her belly, and she groaned when his hands drifted down to cup her buttocks with bold familiarity. She responded by stretching up and molding herself more firmly against him as he deepened the kiss.

"How very charming," Eliza's voice drawled, heavy with derision.

Trevor lifted his head but held Leanna against him so the proof of his arousal wouldn't be visible. He arched an angry eyebrow as he glared at the other woman from over Leanna's head.

"Have I ever told you, Eliza, that you have lousy timing?"

Eliza wasn't bothered in the least by his snide remark, and she emitted a throaty laugh as she flopped down in a nearby chair. "On the contrary, my darling, I think my timing was perfect." She glowered at Leanna, and it was clear from her stance that she had no intention of leaving to give them privacy.

Trevor released a frustrated growl, his irritation supreme, but he pointedly ignored the intruder as he smiled down at Leanna. His whisper was for her ears alone. "I fear I must leave now before I commit mayhem on our guest. However, never fear. We will resume our discussion tonight."

His eyes were full of promise as they delved into hers, and she flushed with pleasure. Trevor turned and strode out of the room, making his way upstairs to see his new nephew.

His reaction to Eliza's interruption surprised Leanna. He hadn't looked guilty or nervous, having been caught kissing his wife. Could it be that he did want her and not Eliza? Hope bubbled up once more as Leanna watched him go. Turning back to face Eliza, Leanna crossed to another chair and wearily sank into its comfortable depths.

"Well, Amanda had her baby. Are you even interested to know what she had?"

Eliza narrowed her eyes with barely suppressed malice. "Yes, of course. Pray tell."

"She had a beautiful baby boy. Both he and Amanda are fine and healthy."

Eliza shrugged nonchalantly. "Yes, well I never doubted it. I was sure she would have no trouble birthing her child."

Leanna rose stiffly from the chair and gave Eliza a strained smile.

"I feel the need to freshen up." Without another word, she left the other woman alone.

Eliza sat for a long time, staring into the flames dancing in the fireplace. She wasn't at all happy about the recent events. Although she had been throwing herself at Trevor for the past three weeks, making it abundantly clear to him that she was available and willing to share his bed, he hadn't shown the slightest inclination to accept any of her offers. In addition, he seemed to be growing more and more enamored with his wife as the days passed, and Eliza was concerned that she would never be able to win his affections.

Eliza's beautiful features twisted into an ugly mask of hatred as she thought about her rival. If it were not for that simpering little bitch, she was sure she could already have been Trevor's wife by now. He had been in love with her for years, so why did he have to go and marry another woman just when Eliza was finally free to return to him? She pressed her lips into a grim line as she debated her next course of action. The time for patience was over. She would catch Trevor at the earliest opportunity and launch her next attack. One way or another, she was determined to have him for her own, and nothing was going to stand in her way, including his wife.

************

Two days later, Trevor woke up to find his wife snuggled against his side, her soft curves pressing against him. His eyes skimmed the delicate features that he so adored. He realized with some degree of awe that Leanna had quickly become the center of his world, and he couldn't imagine his life without her. For the past five years before meeting her, he had been drifting aimlessly through life. He had built his shipping business and rebuilt his plantation for the sole purpose of exacting a measure of revenge against Eliza for marrying another man just because he was wealthy.

However, since he had met and married Leanna, Trevor felt a desire to build something lasting and meaningful for them to enjoy together for the rest of their lives. He was looking forward to having children with her and sharing themselves throughout the coming years. He realized for the first time that the majority of the hurt he had experienced when Eliza eloped was due to his wounded pride and the loss of a dream. He had been in love with a dream instead of Eliza, and for the first time, he was able to remember their relationship objectively.

He had never found Eliza to be particularly charming, witty, caring or loving. In fact, looking back on their years together, he realized she had been self-serving since a very young age, manipulating everyone around her to get her own way. He had thought he could break her of that, given enough time and a firm hand. He realized now that he had idealized her and remembered only her good qualities, thereby making it nearly impossible for any other woman to compete with her memory.

Trevor looked at Leanna once again, and his arms tightened involuntarily around her. Still sound asleep, she sighed softly and turned to face him, snuggling against the warmth of his broad chest. He sucked in a tortured breath, feeling her scantily clad breasts pressed to him and wanting desperately to kiss her slightly parted lips. However, he let her sleep, secure in his arms. He had to find a way to bridge the distance that was growing between them before he would feel right in taking her body. The next time he made love to her, he wanted her to know that he did indeed love her.

The time was past due for him to admit to her that he loved her. He knew it would be taking a risk to lay his heart in her hands, especially since she was still treating him with coolness, but he could no longer deny that such a risk was necessary. He was unwilling to face the prospect of losing her altogether, and he sensed she felt threatened by Eliza's presence in his home.

He tenderly brushed her hair back from her face and disentangled himself from her sleeping form, being careful not to wake her. A slight frown marred her forehead, as if she disliked losing his comforting warmth, but he planted a soft kiss on the creamy expanse to erase the slight lines and tucked the coverlet around her.

He had to make a trip into Newport News on business, and he wouldn't be returning until the following night, so he was tempted to rouse his wife for a parting kiss, but he knew that if he were successful in wooing her, it would likely lead to a long delay in his departure. Instead, he left her sleeping peacefully while he dressed and made his way quietly downstairs.

haremgirl
haremgirl
1,357 Followers