Marrying for Money Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
haremgirl
haremgirl
1,357 Followers

Leanna set her reticule on the dressing table and ran her fingers along its top, surprised to see there were several bottles and jars there to be used. She started slightly when she saw Mr. Woodsworth leaning against the doorjamb watching her with keen interest. He looked sheepish for having startled her and gave her a reassuring smile.

"That will be all Mrs. Mayberry, thank you." Turning back to Leanna, he inquired solicitously, "Is everything to your satisfaction, Miss Webster?"

Leanna nodded and gave him a shy smile as Mrs. Mayberry withdrew to see about her duties, leaving them alone in her bedroom. "Yes, the room is lovely, thank you," she murmured.

She didn't know why he made her feel nervous, he had been unfailingly polite and a perfect gentleman on their drive to his home. Perhaps it was the habit he had of watching her with such intense interest that unnerved her.

He nodded, giving her a warm smile. "If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to let Mrs. Mayberry know and she will take care of it for you."

"I'm sure I'll be fine, Mr. Woodsworth."

He gave her another smile and turned to leave, pausing once more in the doorway. "I'll see you in the morning. Breakfast is usually at eight, but since we're arriving so late, I'll ask it be postponed to nine. You will meet my daughters then." He smiled brightly and left, closing the door behind him with a soft click.

Leanna took a deep breath and released it on a sigh. She had no idea what the future held for her, but at least she had some small hope that she would be able to support herself. If all went well here, it might turn out to be a good job for her for several years until the children were grown. If not, perhaps she could stay for a few months and save up some money before moving on. With any luck, she could work here at least until her divorce was final, then she would think about where she wanted to settle.

Thinking of Trevor made her sigh. She would have to contact him eventually, but she would wait for a while and give her heart time to prepare for what she had to do. She doubted he would even miss her with Eliza there by his side. He would most likely be relieved to be rid of her.

Leanna squeezed her eyes tightly shut, wishing with all her heart that things were different. She took a deep breath and a firm hold on her emotions, as she rose from the bed and carefully unpacked her belongings. She was determined not to dwell on what might have been. She couldn't change the past, but she could do everything in her power to carve out a future for herself and find some bit of happiness.

She stared at the ceiling for a long time, thinking of Trevor and longing for his strong arms to be wrapped around her. It was torture to think of him holding Eliza in his bed, the bed that she had so recently abandoned. The thought of him making love to the other woman brought fresh tears to her eyes, and Leanna allowed herself the luxury to cry for him just once more. Tomorrow, she would start a new life, but tonight, she would mourn for the lost life and the lost love that could never be hers.

*************

The next morning Leanna carefully chose a wine colored gown of fine muslin. The collar was high, with a ruffle around her long neck and more ruffles around the wrists. The style of the dress was demure, and as she studied her reflection in the mirror, she decided that the dress gave her just the right image she sought, somber and mature. Her hair wasn't so cooperative, and although she brushed it into a severe knot on the top of her head, wayward tendrils of it escaped to curl winsomely about her neck and jaw.

She made her way downstairs, and entered the dining room a few minutes early, only to find Mr. Woodsworth already there and staring out a nearby window. He turned immediately to face her when he heard the rustle of her skirts, and his eyes skimmed over her with appreciation evident in their blue depths. Apparently the severe gown had not had the desired effect, because Leanna could have sworn she saw desire flare briefly in his eyes before he masked the emotion.

"Good morning, Mr. Woodsworth."

He gave her an elegant bow, surely more than a mere governess merited. "Good morning. And I really must insist that you call me Neville," he smiled.

Leanna frowned slightly. "But sir, it isn't proper for a servant to address you with such familiarity."

He gave a brief laugh. "Perhaps not, but I view you as more than a mere servant. I shall depend on your judgment in raising my two daughters, and therefore, I insist that you call me by my first name." He leaned close and gave her a conspiratorial wink. "Besides, who's going to know?"

Leanna frowned but gave a small nod, not knowing how to refuse his request without offending him. "As you wish, sir."

Neville looked at her pointedly until he caught her eye. "It is usually customary to return the honor. Would you mind if I addressed you by your first name?"

Leanna hesitated briefly but finally decided it wouldn't really matter. "Alright, sir. You may call me Leanna."

His smile was radiant. "It shall be my pleasure . . . Leanna."

Their eyes met and locked and Leanna felt slightly self-conscious as he looked at her, but the feeling disappeared rapidly when they heard the sound of small feet running down the stairs. Leanna turned just as two small girls appeared in the doorway, and they went running to their father.

"Papa, you're back!"

The two girls jumped up and down with their excitement, and Neville bent to hug them warmly. Both girls had long blond hair that hung down to the middle of their backs in neat braids, and they both possessed large, blue eyes just like their father's eyes. Leanna thought that aside from the difference in their heights, they looked enough alike to be twins.

Leanna couldn't resist smiling as the girls planted numerous slobbery kisses on their father's cheeks. Their obvious adoration for their father and his for them helped to relieve some of Leanna's trepidation.

Neville laughed with delight and kissed them each in return before rising to draw their attention to Leanna. "Girls, I would like you to meet your new governess. This is Miss Webster."

Both girls turned toward her with wide-eyed stares, and Leanna smiled at them warmly. "Hello girls, I'm very pleased to meet you," she said sincerely.

The younger girl returned her smile without hesitation, but the older one eyed her cautiously. Neville took them by the hands and led them to stand before Leanna.

"This is Susanna," he said, patting the older girl on the head. "She loves to paint and draw, and she is just beginning to learn to sew."

Leanna knelt beside them so that she was at eye level and caught Susanna's eye. "It sounds as if you are very talented," she said with a warm smile. Susanna gave her a nod but didn't venture an answer. "It just so happens that I love to sew, and if you would like, I would be happy to show you how to make the various stitches."

The smallest hint of a smile lifted the corners of Susanna's mouth, and she gave a tiny nod. Neville chuckled before turning to his younger daughter.

"And this is Marianne. She loves kittens and horses, and she is learning to play the piano."

Marianne wasn't shy in the least, and she gave Leanna a bright smile. "Yes, and I have learned a new song to play for Papa. Do you want to hear it now?" she asked eagerly.

Neville laughed with humor. "Not just now my pet, but I look forward to hearing you play this evening." He turned to Leanna with a smile. "Shall we sit down to breakfast?"

Unlike the Meadows, breakfast was more formal here, but Leanna could see that the girls were comfortable and happy from the way they talked excitedly to their father. As the meal progressed, Neville told Leanna about the daily routine for the girls, and Marianne was happy to tell her about the topics they had been studying.

When breakfast was concluded, Neville rose and gave a slight bow to Leanna. "I'll leave you three alone. Mrs. Mayberry will show you around the house, and I'll check back with you at dinner. If you need me for anything in the meantime, you can find me in my study." He gave her one last warm smile and retreated to his study.

As he sank into the large, overstuffed leather chair behind his desk, Neville released a long sigh and a wide grin split his lips. Leanna Webster was a very enticing addition to his household, and he was determined to ensure that she stayed with them for a very long time to come. Leanna was much too lovely to remain a governess... That night, Leanna washed and dressed for dinner, taking extra care with her appearance. She wanted to look appropriate for her position as governess, but that was difficult to accomplish, given that her clothes were better suited for the lady of the house. Since her clothes didn't really look like a servant's, she concentrated on trying to tame her hair into a severe bun at her nape. As she surveyed her image in the mirror, she decided that she hadn't been entirely successful, but it was the best she could manage.

When she entered the girls' room, they both turned to her with gasps of appreciation. Marianne, as usual, was the one to comment on her appearance.

"Miss Webster, you look lovely. Wait until Papa sees you in that dress!"

Leanna blushed, aware that in the absence of their mother, they would be anxious to find a suitable woman to fill the void she had left in their lives. However, that was the last thing Leanna wanted, and she was quick to dispel that notion.

"Oh, I'm sure your father won't even notice me. He'll be too busy admiring his two beautiful daughters."

Marianne giggled, and even Susanna smiled shyly in response. Leanna held out a hand to each of the girls. "Shall we go down for dinner now?" She took one of the hands in each of hers, and the three of them made their way down the stairs.

Neville had been waiting in the parlor, and when he heard the soft swishing sound of feminine clothing, he emerged to watch the three of them floating gracefully down the last few steps. He gave each of his daughters a warm smile before letting his eyes settle on Leanna. Her heart fluttered nervously in her chest as he slowly took in her appearance from the top of her shining coppery hair down to her dainty slippers peeking out beneath her hem, before reversing to assess her lovely figure once more.

Leanna knew that, had she not already been in love with Trevor, she would have been flattered by this man's attention. Neville looked dashing in black eveningwear and a crisp white shirt. His blue eyes shone like jewels in his tanned face, and the look he gave her was reminiscent of the ones she had often received from her husband.

"Good evening, Leanna." He gave her a warm smile before executing a bow.

"Good evening. Have you been waiting long?" she inquired.

"No, but even if I had, the result would have been well worth the wait," he assured her smoothly.

Leanna felt a flush rising in her cheeks, and she dropped her gaze demurely. "Shall we go in to dinner?"

"By all means. May I?"

Neville offered her his arm, and she placed her hand on top of it, feeling slightly uncomfortable. It was apparent to her that he was interested in her as a woman, and she wasn't sure how to discourage his interest. It wasn't his fault, since he didn't know she was married and still loved her husband.

The conversation over dinner was light hearted. After dessert, Mrs. Mayberry appeared to take the girls up for bed. Leanna started to rise and accompany the girls.

"Never mind, Mrs. Mayberry, I'll get the girls into bed," Leanna murmured.

Neville was quick to intervene. "No, I would rather you stay. Mrs. Mayberry, please take the girls up."

He gave each of his daughters a hug and a kiss and sent them off with the housekeeper before turning back to Leanna. She was standing nervously beside her chair, twisting her napkin in her hands.

"Leanna, would you join me in the parlor for a nightcap?"

Leanna gave him a fleeting glance and wet her lips. "Perhaps I should go to bed too. It has been a long day."

He came to stand beside her and waited until she met his gaze. "Surely a little longer won't matter. Besides, I hate to drink alone."

Leanna looked at him for a long moment, before finally giving a slight nod of acquiescence. "Alright, but I cannot stay for long."

He took her arm and escorted back into the parlor. "Would you care for sherry?"

"No, thank you." Leanna thought she would be better off keeping all her wits about her.

While she waited for Neville to pour himself a drink, she perched on the edge of a comfortable chair that sat nearby. There was a cheery fire burning, and the glow cast even more red highlights in her hair. Neville sat in the chair opposite her, and she was aware that his gaze didn't waver far from her. She finally turned to him and tried to distract his interest with conversation.

"Your daughters are charming. I can see that you love them very much."

He smiled, nodding slightly in agreement. "Yes, I do. We have grown closer over the last few months, but they desperately need a mother. Ever since their mother died in a riding accident...well, they've missed having a woman's guidance. They really need a mother."

Although he didn't express his thoughts at that moment, it was clear from the intense regard he gave her that he was thinking of her in that role. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and looked down at her hands. She had to find a way to discourage him, and she could only hope that she wouldn't alienate him in the process.

"Neville, I wasn't completely honest with you about my situation," she said quietly.

He raised an eyebrow at her, but gave her an encouraging smile. He had suspected that she wasn't telling him the entire story before, and he saw the fact that she was confiding in him now as a good sign. "I gathered as much. Is there something you wish to tell me now?"

Leanna nibbled at her bottom lip with uncertainty, entirely unaware of what a vulnerable and charming picture she presented to her employer. "Well, I think it's only fair that you know the whole story." She looked at him to gauge his reaction to her next words. "The man that I asked you about, Trevor Grayson, he is my husband."

Neville's shock was evident on his face, and he stared at her for several moments, stunned by her news. "Your husband! Why on earth would you pretend not to be married?"

Leanna looked down at her hands, making a conscious effort not to wring them. "I haven't been married very long, in fact, only about three months. I just came over from England a few weeks ago. I was just becoming accustomed to married life when we arrived in Virginia, only to find out that my husband's former fiancée was anxiously hoping for a reconciliation. She had married another man but had recently been widowed, and she was ready to resume her relationship with my husband."

Neville frowned in puzzlement. "Surely your husband wasn't interested, since he had already married you. I can't imagine him, or any man for that matter, choosing another woman over you." He suddenly looked sheepish, realizing how much he had just revealed. "I just don't believe your husband would turn his back on his wife unless he is a very despicable character indeed."

Leanna was quick to come to Trevor's defense. "No, he didn't turn his back on me. However, he never tried to deceive me about his feelings. He wasn't in love with me, and I guess he never got over his former fiancée running off with another man." She lifted her shoulders in a shrug, and it was a supreme effort for her to fight back the tears burning her eyes. After several long moments, she heaved a dejected sigh. "No, I chose to leave so that he could get a divorce and marry the woman he truly loved."

Once again, Neville's amazement was supreme, but he sat for several moments studying her carefully before replying. "The fact that you're willing to endure the hardships of a divorce in order to get out of your marriage leads me to believe that you don't love this man."

Leanna stood abruptly and turned away to hide the moisture in her eyes. "On the contrary, sir. I love him very much. However, I don't wish to hold him when I know he is in love with another woman. I believe they can make a happy life together, and I don't intend to stand in their way. The last thing I want is to be a chain around any man's neck."

Neville stood and went to stand directly behind her. He placed his hands on her shoulders and gently turned her to face him. "Any man who thinks of you as a chain around his neck is either crazy or a fool. You are a very charming woman," he gave her a rueful grin, "and quite beautiful as well. I find you enchanting. Any man would be lucky to have you as his wife." He noted her pink cheeks, and he grew serious once again. "I'm curious Leanna. Why are you telling me all of this now?"

She fidgeted beneath his steady regard, and gave another small shrug. "I didn't want you to become . . . interested in me. That's why I found it important to tell you the whole truth. I don't want to give you the false impression that there is a possibility for . . . anything between us," she blushed hotly, not wishing to presume too much. "I hope you understand that I'm unavailable. I'm still in love with my husband. I don't know whether I'll ever be able to love another man the way I loved him, and I don't wish to give you any false ideas."

He smiled at her and took both of her hands into his. "What I understand is that you intend to be divorced. While that might bother some men, it doesn't bother me. I still find myself very attracted to you. As to the other, never being able to love another man, all I can tell you is that there will come a time when you are ready to move on with life, and I would like to be waiting for you when that time comes."

He saw her frown slightly and he placed a gentle finger over her lips to still her words. "Please, don't say anything else right now. I promise not to pressure you unduly. I'm a patient man, and I'll give you as much time as you need. However, please understand that when you are ready, I'll be here, and if the time should come when you are able to give your heart to another man, I hope that you will consider me."

Leanna stood looking up at him for a long moment trying to read his eyes. She felt as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She had anticipated that her revelation would cause Neville to lose interest in her entirely. Now she was faced with his interest perhaps being even stronger than before she confided in him, and she wasn't sure how to react. Finally, she looked down and cleared her throat.

"Thank you for your understanding, Neville. You have given me a lot to consider. I think I'll retire for the evening."

She gave him a small nod and was almost to the door when she heard him speak in a husky voice. "Good night, Leanna. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow."

She felt the heat of his gaze on her as she climbed the stairs. She reached her room and closed the door behind her, leaning on the stalwart panel for support. She desperately wished Trevor had been so enamored with her. Leanna released a deep sigh.

She felt some small comfort from the knowledge that if she desired him, Neville was ready to help her pick up the pieces of her shattered heart. A small smile curved her lips as she thought about her employer. He had completely surprised her with his reaction to her confession. Now that everything was out in the open, she could relax a bit and see what the future might hold...

*********

Trevor Grayson wasn't a patient man under the best of circumstances, and the last three weeks had stretched what limited patience he did have to the breaking point. He had searched the entire route of the stagecoach in both directions, all to no avail. The driver was a drunkard and couldn't remember Leanna. She could have gotten off the stagecoach at any number of cities, and trying to find her was like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

haremgirl
haremgirl
1,357 Followers