Mary and Alvin Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MelissaBaby
MelissaBaby
900 Followers

They stood silently for a minute, just gazing at each other. When he leaned forward and they kissed, they heard applause. Turning and looking looked back towards the parking lot, they saw that the elderly couple had risen from their chairs and were clapping for them.

They waved, and the woman waved back while her husband gave them a thumb's up. Alvin turned back to Mary. She put her arms around him and they hugged each other.

"Pretty good surprise, baby," Mary sniffled.

Hand in hand, they walked back to the car, stopping on the way while Mary showed her ring to the couple, who had returned to their lawn chairs.

"Didn't know we'd get a show this year," the woman said.

"You come here every year?" Mary asked.

"Oh yes," the man said in a thick Yankee accent, "we honeymooned here, try to come back every year. Missed a couple, what with the kids and all, but most years we come down."

"You should have took their picture, Walter," the woman said.

"I've got no camera."

"You've got a gosh darn cell phone, for pete's sake."

"I don't know how to use that frickin' thing."

Alvin and Mary waved goodbye and returned to the car, while Walter and his wife continued to bicker about the cell phone.

Before she got in the car, Mary stopped and looked across the bay, inland towards the endless miles of autumn hills. She wondered if she could see all of Maine, if she could see beyond it. I crossed a country, she thought, an entire continent, so that I could stand here, on this mountain, by this sea, and say yes to this man.

They drove back down the mountain road. Having said the one thing he had practiced saying for weeks, Alvin did not know what else to say. Mary sat beside him, all interest in the scenery gone from her mind. She kept looking at the ring, then at Alvin and back again.

"There is so much to do," she mumbled, more to herself than to him, "set a date, send out invitations. Call my Mom. Oh boy, that will be a fun conversation."

"Should I call Charlotte and Jennifer and tell them, or maybe have them to supper and spring the news?" Alvin asked.

"Good question, let's give that some thought." She sat back and looked out the window, watching the vista of trees and water and sky roll by without really seeing them. The initial euphoria of the moment was starting to fade and she started thinking more about the practicalities of the situation, and she realized that there were a few things that troubled her.

"Alvin, can you find a place to pull over? I want to get out and walk a little bit."

"Sure," he replied, "There's a turnoff at Bubble Pond. It's a beautiful spot. Is everything all right?"

"Yes, honey, but I need to think for a few minutes."

Alvin drove to the turnoff that led to the pond. The parking area was empty. Beyond it, the narrow green lake stretched between two mountain slopes. Mary got out of the car and walked to the water's edge. Alvin hung back, letting her have some time alone. She must be fretting about her mother's reaction, he thought. He wished he had words to sooth her, but knew that he needed to give her space to deal with the issue.

Mary stood and watched the water gently lap the shore, just inches from her toes. After a few minutes she turned and looked at Alvin.

"I love you," she said.

Alvin started walking towards her.

"But we need to slow down a little bit."

Alvin stopped in his tracks. "What? Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

"I just, well, Alvin, I do want to marry you."

"You're worried about your Mom?"

"No, I can deal with that," she shrugged.

"Then what is it?"

"I have conditions," she said, turning back to look across the lake.

Alvin was confused. He walked to her and stood behind her. She turned around and looked at him.

"I'm sorry, but you did surprise me," she said in a rush, "and there are things I have to say and decisions to be made before I can really say yes and mean it."

Alvin put his hands on her shoulders. "What decisions, Mary? Say what you have to say, I'm listening."

She took in a deep breath and let it out. "I want a baby. I want to be a mother. I won't marry you if you don't want that too."

"Oh, Mary," he said, taking her in his arms, "I can't imagine anything that would make me happier than to have a child with you."

"Thank you," she sniffled into his chest.

"Don't thank me, I'm the lucky one."

Mary pushed back from his chest. "The other condition is harder," she said, "You have to make me a promise."

"Anything, baby."

"Don't take this wrong, okay?"

"Just tell me, Mary."

"I know that if I marry you, there is a really good chance that I am probably going to spend a lot of years alone someday. Promise me that nothing is going to happen to you for many, many years."

"I don't know that I can make such a promise, sweetheart."

"Promise me you'll try?"

"I will, Mary. You know I'm never going to want to leave you."

"I guess that will be good enough."

"Beside, I ain't going to leave you alone. There's going to be our kids, right?"

She rested her head on his shoulder. "I love you, Alvin."

"Then give me a confirmation on that yes you gave me up on Cadillac."

She lifted her head and placed her hands on the sides of his face. "Yes," she said and kissed him, "yes, yes, yes."

They returned to the Bar Harbor Inn. "How about a drink?" Alvin asked.

"Sounds great." Mary said. They entered the lounge and sat at the bar. Mary ordered a glass of chablis and Alvin, a Guinness.

"That was way better than the last time I was proposed too," Mary said, sipping her wine, "I have to admit, Alvin, you have a flair for the dramatic."

"Well, I wanted to make it something you'd remember."

Mary laughed. "Don't worry, I think you did it."

"You know, there's something I need to ask you about," Alvin said, his expression becoming serious.

"Well, fair's fair, love, what is it?"

Alvin set his beer down and rubbed his chin. He wanted to word his concern carefully. "We have never talked much about your job. I mean, I don't really know if you are happy with it, or if you'd rather be doing something else, or even not working at all."

"Are you saying you don't want me to work?"

"No, I'm not. I'm saying that you can do whatever you want. If you'd be happier doing something else, I want you to feel you can do it."

Mary looked at him with narrowed eyes. "I think maybe I need to take a look at your finances."

"Well, you will have to deal with Diana."

Mary took a notepad and pen from her purse. "What do you expect the gross from the wharf will be this year?"

He shrugged. "I have no idea."

"How can you have no idea? Never mind, let's try this. How much money is in your checking account right now?"

He looked embarrassed. "Enough."

"I suppose I better talk to Diana."

"Anyway, the point is, Mary, I am just saying that if something else makes you happy, your own business or something, I am with you."

"Well, thank you, sweetheart." She had never really given much thought to having her own business. It might be something to think about.

"You getting about ready for supper?" Alvin asked.

"I'd like to change into something nicer first," she said, finishing her wine.

They returned to their room. Alvin put on a fresh shirt, then watched Mary as she changed into a pair of black slacks and a white sweater. He was pleased to see her add the sea glass necklace he had given her.

She stood in front of the mirror and checked herself. "How do I look?" she asked.

"You look like a woman any man would want to marry."

"You know," she said as she touched up her makeup, "Wyatt asked me to marry him because I was mad at him and he figured it was good way to get out of it."

"I can't imagine how far I might go to get out of having you mad at me."

"Well, I'm going to get mad at you sooner or later, so you might want to give it some thought."

The Inn's restaurant was not busy so late in the season, and Alvin and Mary were able to get a table by the window, where they enjoyed a sweeping view of the harbor.

They ordered a bottle of wine and shared a plate of crab cake appetizers.

"Do you think I can wear white?" Mary asked, "I'd like to wear white."

"You can wear whatever you like."

The waiter brought them bowls of lobster bisque. "Oh this is fantastic," Mary said, "Let's get them to cater the wedding."

Alvin laughed. "We could get married here."

Mary shook her head. "I already know where I want to have the wedding."

"Where?"

"In the grove."

Alvin set down his spoon. "Really?" He thought about it for a minute. "I think that's a wonderful idea."

Their entrees came, grilled halibut for Alvin and chicken marsala for Mary, and they talked about their day; the light in the Wild Garden, the seal at Sand Beach, the view from Otter Cliff. Walter and his wife.

Darkness had descended on the harbor by the time they ordered dessert. Moonlight glittered on the water. "The harvest moon," Alvin said.

They shared a creme brûlée. Their spoons would tap against each other as they scooped it from the dish. The sound reminded Mary of the soft chiming of the anchor chain against the hull when they had spent the night on Sea Jay. So many memories already, she thought, so many more to make.

They returned to their room. Mary changed into her blue pajamas. "If I knew you were going to propose, I would have brought something sexy to wear," she said.

"You don't think you look sexy in those?"

"I hope you still think I look so good thirty years from now."

"I think you can pretty much count on it."

Mary sat crosslegged on the bed, scrolling through the pictures she has taken that day. She noticed that she had not thought to take a single one after they had come down from the top of the mountain.

Alvin undressed and put on a pair of sweat pants and a Bruins t-shirt. He pulled one of the rooms' two easy chairs near the bed and propped his stockinged feet on the edge of the mattress.

"Alright, Mary," he said, "you're procrastinating. Call her and get it over with."

"I really don't want to, " she said, shaking her head, "I know I should, but..."

"If you don't call now, it will be too late tonight, and when you call tomorrow, she's going to be unhappy you didn't call today."

"Honey, it's just past seven there."

"Give me the phone, I'll call her."

"No, I will." Mary opened her contacts list and thumbed her mother's name. After a few rings, it went to voicemail.

"Hi, Mom, sorry I missed you. I'll try again later." She disconnected and sighed with relief.

The phone began to ring.

"Goddamn it."

Alvin laughed and she gave him the finger, while answering the phone with a bright "Hi Mom!" He listened to a chorus of "uh huhs" and "um Moms..." until finally Mary spoke boldly.

"Mom, I called because I have to tell you something."

Mary held her breath for a minute.

"What is it, dear?" her mother asked.

"Mom, Alvin asked me to marry him." She paused for a second. "And I said yes." She waited for a response and was just about to speak again when her mother finally replied.

"Oh, Mary," she said, "don't you think this is happening awfully fast?"

"No, Mom, I don't think so."

"You've known him for just a few months sweetie, what's the rush?"

"If we know it's what we both want, why should we wait?"

"But, what makes you so sure?"

Mary looked at Alvin and rolled her eyes. "We just are, Mom."

"You were sure about Wyatt."

"You know what, Mom? No, I never was."

"Don't get angry with me, sweetheart."

"I'm not angry, Mom." Alvin thought she did sound angry, though. "I am almost deliriously happy. And I want you to be happy for me, too."

"I want to be happy for you, Mary, but I want to know that you are doing the right thing. Mary, I haven't even met the man."

"Well, we can make sure you meet him before the wedding, I guess."

"That would be good. Why don't you come home for the holidays, and bring him along to meet your family?"

"I don't know, Mom. Hang on." She put her hand over the phone. "Alvin, she wants to meet you. She says we should go to California for Christmas so you can meet the family."

Alvin thought for a minute, then gestured for the phone. "Let me speak to her."

"Oh god, no."

"Yes." He held out his hand and Mary put the phone on speaker and gave it to him.

"Hello, Mrs. Winslow?"

"Mr. Fulkner?"

"Faulkner, ma'am."

"Oh yes, like the writer." Mary thought her mother said "writer" like she was saying "pickpocket" or "dope dealer".

"That's right, Ma'am. I'm glad to finally be speaking with you."

"I as well. You understand, I hope, that I have concerns for Mary's well being, and you and I have not met..."

"I do understand, Mrs. Winslow. I have two daughters myself."

"Have either of them married?"

Mary shook her head. Real subtle, Mom, she thought.

"No." Alvin said, "It looked like my eldest was close to tying the knot, but it didn't work out. My younger girl is with a wonderful partner, though, and that seems to be going well."

"Well, it's nice to speak with you, but if you would please put Mary back on..."

"I'd be glad to, but I do want to say something first. Ma'am, I have been a widower, it's been ten years last month. It took me a long time to get over my wife's death, and longer yet to get to the place where I was ready to find someone new. You talk about waiting, Mrs. Winslow. Well, I waited ten long years for Mary to come into my life. And, with all respect, I have to tell you, if she will be my wife, there is no force on earth that will deter me from making it come to pass. I'll put her back on now, and I will look forward to seeing you come Christmas."

He handed Mary the phone before her mother could respond.

"Hey Mom," Mary said, taking the phone.

"Mary, I want your happiness. But please be sure this is the right thing."

"Mom, listen." She looked Alvin in the eyes while she talked. "This guy is kind and compassionate. He is smart and he's, I don't know, Mom, he's like one of those old movie guys, he's like Gregory Peck or something. Burt Lancaster. One of those strong but sensitive guys." She winked. "He's handsome like that, too. I'll send you a picture."

"Alright, dear, well, it's obvious how strong your feelings are. We will talk about it some more."

"Okay, Mom. I love you."

"I love you, Mary."

Mary was just about to disconnect when her mother spoke again.

"Mary?"

"Yes, Mom?"

"Congratulations, sweetheart."

"Thank you, Mom."

Mary dropped the phone and fell over backwards on the bed, her arms straight out at her sides.

Alvin laughed. "You alright there, honey? That wasn't so bad, was it?"

Mary lifted her arm and jabbed her finger towards the ceiling. "No force on earth will deter me," she said in a comically deep voice.

"Was that too much?"

"No, baby, it was just right," Mary said, picking up the phone. "You do have a flair for the dramatic, though, you have to admit."

"What are you doing?"

"I'm sending her a couple of pictures of you."

Alvin sat up and grabbed Mary by the ankles, pulling her to the edge of the bed. She put her feet in his lap, and he began massaging them.

"Ooh, I'd marry you just for the foot rubs," she said.

He lifted her foot and kissed the sole.

"Do you have some foot fetish or something you want to tell me about?" she giggled.

"I have a Mary fetish."

Mary looked at the phone. "Aww, she says you're handsome."

"Well, alright, then." He continued rubbing Mary's feet while she texted with her mother. "What's so funny?" he asked when she began to laugh.

"She says you sound like the guy who sells fish sticks in the TV commercial."

"What! That guy's a Masshole." He jumped on the bed. Mary tried to wiggle away, but only managed to roll on to her stomach. Alvin straddled the back of her legs and playfully patted her on the butt.

"Oh, by the way," he said, "the bad news for you is that in Maine, husbands spank their wives when they misbehave."

She squirmed free and placed her feet on his chest, pushing him back. "The bad news for you is that I never misbehave."

Alvin flopped down on the bed beside her. "I can make you misbehave."

Mary faced him, propping her head up on her elbow. "You know, when I was young and I liked a boy, I would write our names together in my note books, over and over. The first boy I went out with was named Charlie Mendoza. I filled pages writing Mary Mendoza, Mrs. Charles Mendoza, things like that."

"You want me to get you a notebook?"

"No, I think I'll stay Mary Winslow. You don't mind, do you?"

"No, I'll just stay a Faulkner, then, I guess."

"Will our kids be named Winslow-Faulker? Faulkner-Winslow?"

"Faulkner-Winslow sounds like a tractor."

"Yeah, it kind of does." Mary laid her head on his chest. "Honey, I didn't realize that about Bonnie, about it being ten years last month."

Alvin was silent for a minute. "I think she'd be happy for us, Mary."

"I think so to, love." She kissed his cheek and then his lips. He wrapped his arms around her and she laid her head on his chest.

"I feel like we should make incredible, passionate love tonight," she said, "but I am so tired."

"Well, how about we skip tonight and make incredible passionate love for the rest of our lives?"

"Okay, love, that's a deal."

Alvin got up and shut off the lights, and they climbed under the covers. Within minutes, Mary fell asleep, but Alvin stayed awake a while longer. He studied the outline of her face in the light of the harvest moon shining through the window. A strand of hair hung across her face. He gently moved it away and caressed her cheek. She murmured but did not awaken. She seemed different to him now. She seemed, somehow, to be more than she had been just that morning. My wife, he thought, she will be my wife.

Mary heard the alarm clock buzz, but just rolled over and pulled her pillow over her head and went back to sleep. The next thing she knew, Alvin was shaking her shoulder.

"What are you doing?" she asked in a sleepy voice, "It's still dark."

"Yeah, I know, it's almost six, get up."

"You don't have another fucking surprise do you?" she mumbled.

"You seemed pretty pleased with the last one."

Mary sat up. Alvin was already dressed.

"Just throw some clothes on, Mary, you can sleep a little while in the car."

"Okay, but I want those pancakes for breakfast."

"That's fine, we can get pancakes after."

"After what?"

"After the sun comes up. Quit lollygagging."

She got up and padded into the bathroom. "It's not fair to accuse someone you just woke up in the middle of the night of lollygagging. Especially after you promise no more surprises."

"You like the surprises."

"I'll surprise you sometime," she muttered, "superglue your dick to your leg."

Alvin stuck his head into the bathroom. "You say something, honey?"

"Just said I'll be ready in a few minutes."

She washed her face and brushed her teeth. "Should we pack?" she asked as she dressed.

"No, we will come back here in a while."

The night air was cold enough that Mary could see her breath as they stepped out of the Inn.

"Oh my god, Alvin, it's freezing."

"It is a bit nippy."

When Alvin started the car the dashboard thermometer read forty two degrees. Mary turned the heater to full.

Alvin laughed."You know, in a few months you will be going out in a t-shirt when it hits forty two and talking about what a nice day it is."

"I won't."

"You will."

Mary put her seat back. "So where are we going, anyway?"

"Back up the mountain," Alvin said, sounding annoyingly chipper.

"Why?"

"To watch the sunrise."

"Oh. That sounds nice. But I'm sleeping on the way."

"Well, that's alright. Won't take long though, no traffic at this time of day."

MelissaBaby
MelissaBaby
900 Followers