Mattei - A Nation's Father Ch. 01

Story Info
A young man learns he holds the key to saving a generation.
4.9k words
4.54
25.2k
57

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 01/18/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Copyright Pending

-----------------------------------

Chapter 1

Mattei tapped his fingers against the chair impatiently and looked around at the other 30 or so men waiting with him. While most of them appeared to be around his age, 25, a few were graying and likely middle-aged. A few talked among themselves, but overall there was a quietness reflecting everyone's trepidation. He could only surmise that they'd ended up here the same way he had, with strangers showing up on his doorstep. "At least they seem just as confused as I am," he thought. "Somewhat comforting, I suppose."

Two weeks earlier, he'd been prepping his breakfast when there was a knock at his door. He glanced at the clock on the wall and frowned. He'd already taken care of the cows and the other animals on the farm. It wasn't like her to visit him so early. Was something wrong? "Guess I'll find out soon enough," he muttered to himself. Mattei walked quickly over to the door, but when he opened it, he found two women standing outside his door. Dressed in tailored maroon robes, he knew exactly who they worked for. It was obvious that they were government officials. Only those under the jurisdiction of the relatively new ruling Council of Ministers wore such robes, and he'd only seen women in such garments on the news, or in the newspaper. Never in person. What were they doing in the countryside? He was on a farm for God's sake! Little happened around here that garnered excitement. Had they gotten lost?

"May I help you?" he asked, finally speaking.

"Are you Mattei Loran Ilsam?" the shorter of the two women asked.

"Yes," he answered hesitantly. "Okay, maybe they aren't lost," he thought, before asking, "How may I help you?"

"We're from the Family Health Department, and we'd like you to come to a meeting we're having in two weeks. We need to discuss the future of the consulate and the impact you could have both here and abroad."

Mattei chuckled. "Are you sure you have the right person? I'm a farmer and a carpenter. How could I possibly be of assistance to your department? Last I checked, I don't have a family either. I'm not married, and I don't have children, so I'm not sure why your department would be interested in me."

The women exchanged glances and then smiled at him. "Trust me," the taller woman said, "we're pretty sure you're qualified to assist us. Please come to the meeting in two weeks. We'll have a job proposition for you. You'll be given more information then."

He shook his head. "I have a job here, working for the mistress of this farm. Her husband passed away in the Plague and she counts on me to maintain things. Who will help her if I accept whatever position you're wanting to offer me? I don't want to leave her hanging. She has two daughters and several granddaughters living with her now, and they need my help to keep things running here. They're counting on the food that's being planted and raised to pay the bills and fill their bellies. And frankly, so do I."

The taller woman handed him a document, which he briefly looked over. It was signed by Mrs. Foster, the woman he worked for, permitting him to take leave of his duties on the farm. "Mrs. Foster has been informed of the critical role you'll hopefully be playing and gave us her blessing to speak with you. She feels you're a good candidate and asked us to assure you that she'll find assistance from those in the community. The government will also give her any additional support she needs."

Mattei let out a sigh. He didn't like the idea of leaving anyone high and dry, especially since he didn't know why he would be leaving. He also didn't put much stock in governments. The last one had gotten them into World War IV when he was a child, and he remembered how hard things were back then. But then again, there had been some slight improvements here and there under the new ruling council. Maybe the new government would be better than the old one. The plague had seen to the purging of more than half in the old one, and while he knew that it was a shame that the people died, a lot of corruption seemed to have died then as well. It was probably the only good thing that came out of the tragedy. "Very well. I'll come to the meeting in two weeks. Is there any other way I can assist you?"

"Yes. We would ask that you avoid any dangerous activities since we'll need you in the peak of health. When you arrive for the meeting, lodgings will be waiting and ready for you in Arvan City. The specific address is listed in the packet. Please arrive on time. There's much to discuss and we need to get started immediately. Instructions regarding what you can bring with you are listed in the packet as well." She handed him a manila envelope, shook his hand, and bid him goodbye.

Mattei watched them leave, almost as perplexed as to when he found them on his doorstep. "Well, this is officially a weird day." He stared at the packet for a moment and then shrugged. "I guess I'll see what information is inside," he thought. "Not like they gave me much information themselves." Mattei closed the door, tossed the packet onto his dining table, and then grabbed a cup of coffee. Then he sat down and stared at the packet for a moment. Sure, he was curious, but he wasn't much for surprises. But after several minutes passed, his curiosity overrode his other feelings, and he tore into it. Inside he found a map and address for lodging at a building not far from Arvan Palace, which was marked on the map as well. "Arvan Palace," he mused. "Hmmm." He'd heard of some palaces being built, including that one, on the news, but the reasons behind them were being kept hush-hush. Based on the map, the place was huge. Maybe the rumors of a state-of-the-art hospital inside had some truth to them. "The palace grounds look large enough to host a freaking city though," he muttered. He shrugged and then looked at the rest of the contents. They included an identification badge for the residence he'd be staying at while there and the list of things he could bring with him.

As he looked it over, he was amazed at how short it was. He was only required to bring three sets of clothing, though he was welcome to bring more if he wanted. He could also bring any personal knick-knacks or photos he wanted, and a list of any prescriptions he was taking. The list of things not to bring was longer -- he wouldn't need any hygiene products or food, and electronics were allowed, but security procedures would be implemented. Additionally, pets weren't permitted in the building, though there was a side note stating the government would help with boarding arrangements if needed. "Guess it's a good thing I don't have pets," he muttered out loud. He'd been thinking about getting a dog but was glad at that moment that he hadn't. Then something dawned on him. "Personal knick-knacks? What am I doing? Moving in? I don't even know why they want me at this meeting!"

The next week and a half passed extremely slowly, especially after Mrs. Foster refused to give him more details. When he went to speak with her about the document she'd signed and the visit from the officials, she simply smiled at him sweetly and made him a bunch of his favorite baked goods. It wasn't the first time she spoiled him with brownies and the like, but she acted even more like a mother hen. So did her daughters. To make things even odder, they'd giggle a little when he'd look at them or thank them for the baked goods. Their reaction was baffling, but who was he to turn down good food?

Others slowly started turning up to help on the farm, and they seemed to know what they were doing, so as each day passed, it seemed like he was needed less and less. Eventually, he decided to pack up what little he had with him, and head to the city a few days early. Arvan City was rather new, having only been established in the last ten years. Since he'd never been there, he figured he'd do some sightseeing if he arrived early. He could always stay at a hotel if they weren't ready for him at the boarding house, or whatever it was, that he'd be staying at while attending the meeting.

His last day at the farm arrived, and Mrs. Foster invited him over for one last dinner with her and the family. She made his favorite foods, her daughters flirted with him a little more, and her granddaughters begged him for one last tractor ride, piggie back rides, etc. He made the most of it. If he didn't come back, which seemed to be more and more likely, he was going to miss this quiet life. Not to mention the children. He did so love the sounds of their laughter, especially after all the tragedy they'd had already in their young lives.

"Mrs. Foster," he said as he was about to leave for the night. "You know, I'd like to continue to work for you. I know you don't want to tell me what all this is about, but..."

The older woman simply smiled at him and then hugged him. "Mattei, my dear sweet boy, I'd love to have you stay. But you're needed for something so very important. We'd love to have you for visits, but I don't think you'll be back for a permanent stay. Just promise me you'll take care of yourself and find yourself a good woman to care for you. You're too skinny as is."

He smirked a little as he patted his stomach. He had a washboard stomach, last he'd checked. Most women he met didn't seem to mind, as their hands often ran across it. So he didn't think he looked that skinny ... at least, not in a bad way. And with the way she'd been feeding him, there was a possibility he'd even managed to put on a few pounds in the last week. "Even after all those brownies, pies and cookies you and the girls have baked for me over the last week?"

"I never had a son to fatten up. So, I fattened my husband up instead," she replied with a laugh. "Honestly though, I've always liked baking for you. You leaving just gave me an excuse to bake as many treats for you as I could before you hit the road."

"Either way, I wish I knew what that situation was, to be honest," Mattei muttered. "If, um ... well, if things don't work out, can I come back here and work? You and your family are the closest things I have to family now. I know I don't say it often, but I love working for you, and taking care of all of you."

"Of course!" Mrs. Foster exclaimed. She brushed away a tear and forced a little smile to come to her face. "You know we all love you, Mattei. But this ... what you're needed for, it's beyond us. Beyond you too, I think, though I don't think they could ask a better man to help." She kissed his cheeks and then gave him one more hug. "Now go get some sleep. You'll need it for your trip tomorrow."

He nodded, and then reached over to grab his coat. As he did, her four granddaughters rushed over and tackled him. After laughing, he hugged and squeezed each one, tickling them a little before pulling them off his legs and waist.

"You four be good for your moms and grandma now, okay?"

"Uh-huh!" the youngest one, Evie, exclaimed. At four, she was the youngest of the girls, and as cute as he thought little girls could be. She raised her arms, and he lifted her, playfully grunting as if she weighed a ton. Evie let out a giggle, and he smiled. They both knew she didn't weigh much at all, but that it would make her laugh and smile like it always did. "You gonna come back soon, Mattei?" she asked him.

"I don't know, sweetheart," he said. "But I hope so. I'll miss you."

"Can I send you my drawings?"

"Oh, you'd better," he replied, still smiling at her. "I'll put them up all over the place. I promise."

"Will you carve me something and send it back each time I send you a drawing?" she begged in reply.

"I'll see what I can do." Mattei winked at her and then gave her a peck on the cheek. "But on one condition."

"What that?"

"Promise me that you'll stay away from the cattle and tractors?"

Evie pouted a little but then nodded. "I promise. I won't go near 'em unless an adult is with me."

"That's a good girl," he said. Then he set her down and brought the four little girls in for one last hug. "Be good, all of you. Okay?"

"We will!" the girls shouted.

"Good." He gave Mrs. Foster a quick hug, said a bashful goodbye to her daughters when they stared and giggled at him, yet again, and then shook his head as he left. What did her daughters know that he didn't?

------------------------------------------------

Mattei's thoughts returned to the present when he heard a door open. Two women came through the door, and he recognized them as the same two who'd come to visit him. As they entered, all the men stopped talking, and it became so quiet you could've heard a pin drop.

"Good morning, gentlemen. Thank you for joining us as requested," the taller woman said. "My name is Lena, and this," gesturing to the shorter woman, "is Isilde. She will lay out the details of the important task we're asking of you. Hopefully, this will not be the last time I see each of you, but if I don't see you again, thank you for your time."

After Lena left the room, Isilde started speaking. "Again, welcome. I can imagine that you're all rather curious as to why we've asked you here. So, if you follow me, I'll be happy to explain as I give you a tour of our facility."

Mattei and the other men stood up and quietly followed Isilde through a set of double doors at the far end of the rooms. He looked around at his surroundings as he waited for Isilde to say more. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. And then they made their first stop.

Isilde made sure everyone was gathered before pressing a button that controlled curtains inside an observation window on his left. His eyes widened as he took in what was happening, and then he looked away, sure that he was blushing. But his curiosity and a sudden ache in his pants made him look back up.

A young masked man was inside the room with a very naked redheaded and buxom woman. As he watched, the man stopped jerking on his cock, and thrust it into the woman in front of him. She moaned at the feeling of being impaled, and Mattei shuddered. "Holy fuck. Is this what they want me here for? To make porn? I rarely even watch the stuff."

As a good "Catholic boy", per his mother at least, his knowledge of porn was limited. So much so that he hadn't watched any until after his mother's death, afraid that if he was caught watching it, it would send her to an early grave. And she'd gotten there plenty early on her own. He could therefore count on one hand how many times he'd watched porn. He usually jerked off to memories of fucking some women he'd dated or had one-night stands with.

"Holy shit," he heard one man say. "What the fuck are we watching?"

"Sex, you idiot," another man said.

That caused a slight chuckle, even from Isilde. Then she closed the blinds. "I think we'll let them continue without our prying eyes. Please follow me."

He and the others followed her down a long corridor, filled with rooms with curtained observation windows on the left and the right, and he wondered how many of them were filled with similar men and women. Then they went up a flight of stairs, and Isilde turned and smiled at the men. "Now, I would ask that you keep your voices down a little. We have some very precious people here right now."

Mattei looked through the first window and saw several babies being held by nurses while a couple others were sleeping in bassinets. He stared at their little faces, and felt his heart melt, as if it'd been hard before. It'd been a while since he'd seen a baby.

"These babies are orphans," Isilde said quietly. "They were flown here after their mothers died, and we're placing them with adoptive mothers soon. It's worth noting that none of them are boys. We're keeping the babies who were born in the same area together, and others from different areas in other rooms, while we quarantine them."

"Why are they being quarantined?" Mattei asked quietly. "And how did their mothers die?"

"We need to make sure that they haven't brought any illnesses or diseases with them. Their mothers died from a variety of situations. One mother was in a car accident. Another was shot by an intruder, and while the doctors couldn't save her, they were able to save her daughter via an emergency c-section. One of the doctors in this facility went to get here and got back two days ago. There were some concerns about fetal distress, but she's improved since then. Thank goodness."

"Are the fathers all dead too?" another man asked. "Surely some of them have fathers who survived."

Isilde shook her head. "All of these babies are sperm donor babies. Their fathers died a long time ago, some over a hundred years ago. We used what sperm was in the banks to impregnate their mothers, who were part of our test group towards the end of the plague." A look of confusion passed among the men and Isilde let out a sigh filled with sadness. "We're out of all of our currently viable sperm, gentleman. There should've been twice as many babies born, but many didn't survive.. These babies, except for the ones who have yet to be born or conceived by breeders, are pretty much it."

"What do you mean by 'it'?" Mattei asked, staring at one baby who had the fullest head of hair he'd ever seen. "Surely there are other babies being conceived daily. I mean, we all saw what was happening downstairs."

"Not enough though," she replied. "Not nearly enough. All of you are lucky if you've seen any babies lately, outside of this location. There's been less than 10,000 born in the last year, worldwide. That's why you're here. We need all the help we can get to prevent eventual extinction."

"You want us to make babies..." Mattei started to say though he practically coughed out the rest. "With random women?"

"Yes," she replied, looking directly at him. "With thousands of women." He swallowed deep as he met her gaze. "And yes, I do mean thousands. Possibly millions."

"How is that possible?" asked another man while looking stunned. "I'd be lucky if my wife would let me fuck that red-head we saw downstairs. Not to mention, that's quite a few rounds of fucking, I'd imagine."

Isilde cleared her throat. "Let's go down the hallway, shall we? I'll explain more there." The men followed her to a lobby area, and she invited them to sit down. "We're hoping that some, if not all of you, will be willing to either breed women, as you saw the young man downstairs doing. So far, he's impregnated almost 100 women, which is honestly lower than we'd like. In this facility right now, we have three men assisting us. But it's not nearly enough, and the're not fertile enough, to give us enough genetic diversity. That's why a palace near here is being built. It'll house men like him and others who agree to help us. It'll also serve as a hospital and research center. The operation has become large enough that we need this space to be turned over to our scientists."

"We only saw a couple people though," an older gentleman replied. "Why so few?"

"There are a lot of people in other wings of this facility. You won't see them, for privacy sake. But there are actually over 300 women locally going through a screening process right now to check their fertility and be classified into groups for breeding. We're also running DNA to make sure that when bred, the child conceived is as healthy as possible. Yes, it does border on eugenics, but we're not trying to create super babies. We're just hoping that the children conceived will be able to go through life with fewer health issues so that they're more productive and happier when older. We need new people to become doctors and fill the rolls of all who passed. There is still a lot of rebuilding to do, and this must be part of it. So that," she said with a shrug, "that's why you're here. We want all of you, if possible, to either breed more women like the woman downstairs, donate sperm, or both."

12