Mick the Dick Ch. 28

Story Info
Like hungry sharks, the media is all over the events.
4.1k words
4.59
19.3k
00

Part 28 of the 39 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 01/31/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I woke up to the smell of eggs, sausage, and coffee. Carla poked her head in as I was stretching.

"Get up sleepyhead."

"I'm up. What time is it?" I looked at the clock.

"A little after seven."

"Oh. It feels later than that." Damn, I can sleep good next to her. I might just need to sleep with her every night... Naaaaaaa!

"Breakfast is on, your coffee is poured, and the news is blasting Armacost."

"I knew the wolves would be all over this fresh kill."

"Oh yeah. They are really nailing him. One thing. They've staked out the house trying to get to Teresa or one of the kids."

"Those paparazzi sons-of-bitches. I hope Holly knows how to take care of them."

"One of the lawyers was at the house talking to the press. They said they'd be going back there in a few minutes. If you hurry you can see it."

I slid out of bed and into the pair of pink gym shorts. I followed Carla back to the kitchen. She had the TV on in there. I really have to reconsider what I'm paying her. She has a TV in the living room, one in the bedroom, and one in the kitchen. They are all relatively new, flatscreens, and each one has a DVD slash VCR either built-in or attached to. I must be paying her too much.

"And now back to our reporter with the exclusive story in front of Benjamin Armacost's residence where there is going to be a statement from Mr. Armacost's attorney."

I laughed, "Exclusive? I count 2, 3, 4 different news stations there. And you nitwits, it's Mrs. Armacost's attorney."

"I'm Jonathan Schaffer, Mrs. Armacost's attorney. The Armacost family is requesting you honor their right to privacy. Mr. Armacost no longer lives at this location. Through the separation agreement he signed this past Monday, he has moved to an apartment downtown and has agreed not to come to this location. Mrs. Armacost is not here, she is on a vacation to recuperate from the ordeal of last weekend. I'm not even sure if she is aware of the events of last evening. If she decides to make a statement, it will be through me. Until then, I have advised her and the children not to make any public comments, I hope you will honor that advice. I only represent Mrs. Armacost and the children, if you want to interview Mr. Armacost I suggest you talk to him or his attorneys. Thank you."

It was a well done, down and dirty, "leave the family alone or else" speech. But since when does the press ever do what they're requested. Don't get me wrong, some reporters are professionals and do what they should. But, then there are the ones who will harass, stalk, and follow their prey until they can report or create a story.

"Do you think they'll go after Holly?", Carla asked with a concerned tone to her voice.

"They might." I picked up the phone and called Holly. She answered on the first ring.

"Hi, Mick. Well, he's done it now."

Assuming she meant her father, "What's that?"

"The press are all over the place."

"Yeah, I just saw your mother's attorney. He did a good job."

"What should I do if they try to corner me?"

"Well, first, don't panic. You're not a princess. Second, you call me and tell me where you are and what they are doing. Don't run, don't get physical, but don't let them get physical either. I guess your attorney told you just to say "no comment" and keep moving, right?"

"Yes. That's what he said, and then to call him. He said he'll sue them if they try, now that he has gone public requesting them to stay away from us."

"He's right. But I still don't want them trying to get at you. They'll try to make something you say or do into a story to drag this out."

"Okay, Mick. I have to get to class. I'll talk to you later."

"You be careful."

Carla was sitting, listening to every word. "Is she okay?"

"Yeah. She's just a little scared. Let's eat."

We ate the breakfast Carla had fixed and then I took my shower and shaved. And of course there was the other "S" in there too. I got dressed and Carla was already to go. I don't know how she does it, but in the time it took me to do the three S's, and get dressed, Carla was waiting for me. Being she showered before I got up, she still had to dry her hair, put on her make-up, and get dressed.

I finished a little coffee in my cup and we left. As we got to our cars, I told her, "Call the chief of police at the university. Tell him who you are, he'll talk to you if he knows who you work for. He better. Fill him in on Holly and the paparazzi following her around. Just in case."

"Okay boss. I'll see you at the office."

We had barely gotten out of the garage when my cell phone rang. It was Holly.

"Mick, they're following me."

"Who's they?"

"It's one of the camera crews. It's a white van with all of the camera junk and antennas and a dish on top. They were sitting up the street from the house and started following me as soon as I left."

"Are you sure they are following you, and didn't just leave the same time as you?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. I even went around a couple of the blocks and through a shopping center, getting to the freeway. They're still behind me."

"Okay. Listen. Is your top up or down?"

"Up."

"Good. You know where the commuter parking lot / rest stop is at the city county line, right?"

"Yes."

Take your time, slow down if you have to. It will take me about 15 minutes to get there. You are probably only about 10 minutes away. Get off at one of the exits before you get there and get a coffee or something. Chances are they won't follow you into a crowded place." I finished telling her what to do.

Luckily, I remember some of the old back ways to get to the freeway from when I was a cop. It really helps to be able to avoid some of the traffic this time of the morning. Of course, some of the newer roads have taken a lot of the traffic off some of these streets too.

My timing was impeccable as usual. I got to the commuter lot before Holly and pulled down the far end of the second row. As usual, don't ask me to explain it because I can't, there are always a few open spaces at the far end of the second row. I guess people see so many other cars at the beginning, they want to make sure they get a space so the skip a couple rows.

I saw the big white van pull in from the highway before I saw Holly. Then I saw her accelerate down the third row. I was waiting. She pulled the car to a stop, opened the door, got out, ran to my truck and got in the drivers side, just in time to see me take off in her Vette.

The occupants of the white van bought it. They didn't even notice the switch. I slowed down getting back into traffic on the freeway so they could stay with me. No point in losing them now. "Alright boys, how about a magical mystery tour of our fine city?" I called Carla just to let her know what was up.

About two hours into our little tour, the white van was still tailing me. Every once in a while, they would try to get up next to me, maybe to see Holly or maybe they were getting suspicious. I had driven past the university 2 or 3 times, just to let them think it was time to park. Then I headed towards the south side of town to a little neighborhood that is notorious for being a little rough. There is a biker bar there that has been the scene of several shootings and stabbings. "This time of day, why would a nice socialite like Holly Armacost be going to a known biker bar?" I knew it would be too much for my tail to refuse.

The bar is on a main road. In order to get to it, you have to go past it, make a u-turn, and come back about a half a block. I knew I could out maneuver the van easily. The road is two lanes in each direction. I stayed in the right lane until the last possible second. The van was two cars behind me. As I got to the crossover, I made a sudden left turn. The van couldn't follow because of a car in the left lane next to them. "Ha haa!"

I pulled the Vette up right in front. Typical, there were already a half dozen or so bikes on the lot. I hurried up and ran inside. My rush obviously caught everybody's attention.

I tried to add a little polite lisp as I introduced myself, "Gents, I'm a reporter. The news station is doing an expose' on outlaw bikers. And we'd like to take a few video shots of you guys to be on the news."

They started to separate. "Fuck you, asshole! You ain't takin my picture.", one of the bikers said.

"Why not? You're a good looking biker kind of guy." Nobody was cooperating about being on camera. "We just want to interview you. We can block out your face so nobody knows who you are."

"Fuck you! We ain't talking to you.", another one said.

I looked out the door as the van pulled up on the lot behind the Vette.

One of the bikers close to the door looked out and saw the van. "He's right, guys. It's a news crew."

"Look, let me go try to talk them out of filming you guys, okay? The one guy is my producer, so don't get me in too much trouble. It was his idea to come here."

"Yeah! Well we'll show him where to go. Let them bring there cameras in here." They all just casually stood at the bar drinking their breakfast beers.

I walked outside just as the reporter and video man were climbing out of the van.

"You guys looking for the cute blonde that drives that? She just came running in here?"

The reporter looked at me rather inquisitively. "Yes, we are."

"She's the stripper for the birthday party in there. She must have been running late. She just came running in there taking her clothes off as she did."

They both looked at each other. The video man grabbed the camera as the reporter plugged his microphone in. As they both nearly knocked each other down getting in the door, I took my trusty valve stem puller, a tool used to remove or loosen valves on tires which I always have in my pocket for just such occasions, and loosened the valves on both passenger side tires of the van. I quickly jumped into the Vette and headed back towards downtown.

On my way I passed a string of police cars running emergency towards the south side of town. "Gee! I wonder where they're heading."

I called Holly to let her know her precious baby was still in one piece.

"Where are you? Is everything okay? Are they still following you? I mean, me?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Your car is fine, except I think it needs gas. And I lost your tail."

"Oh, good. I was beginning to wonder."

"Where are you?"

"I'm at your office."

"I thought you had a class."

"I do... did. I was too worried to go. I'm okay in that class anyway."

"Do you have any others?"

"Yeah, two this afternoon."

"Okay. Tell Carla to bring you down to Murphy's for lunch. I'll give you back your car there."

"Okay, we'll see you there."

I hated giving back the Vette. It is really a lot of fun to drive. I even put the top down, once I was well away from the south side. I almost felt sorry for those two dumb bastards that thought they were following Holly. I wonder how they made out.

I didn't have to wait too long. I pulled the Vette behind Murphy's and put the top up. The girls were already inside when I walked in. There was a roar of laughter in the bar as I entered. Sylvia gave me my customary hug and kiss.

"Hey, Mick!", Murph yelled to me, "Look at this." He pointed to the television.

The noon news had just come on with a live report. It seemed that one of their reporters and video man walked into a bar on the wrong side of town a short while ago, and were beat up pretty severely by a few of the patrons. When they tried to flee in their van, the patrons slashed the tires. Unfortunately, the patrons all heard the responding police and fled, but only after smashing the mega-dollar camera. Naturally, the reporter wasn't going to admit that they were following Holly Armacost after her attorney told them not to on public television. No arrests were made. "Bummer! There's never a cop around when you need one!"

I walked over to the table, in the back corner of course, where Carla and Holly were nervously laughing.

"Was that you?", Holly asked quietly as she pointed to the television.

"Me??? No!!! I don't know what you're talking about."

Carla looked around and then leaned closer, "How did you arrange that?"

"I didn't arrange it. I just kind of let it happen."

Carla and Holly laughed. "Do you mean, you just pulled in there and they followed you in?"

"Not exactly. I pulled in, told the bikers that I was a reporter doing a story on outlaw bikers and wanted to interview a few of them. When I went back outside, I asked the reporter if he was looking for a cute blonde that was driving the Vette and that she was inside stripping for a biker birthday party."

"Stripping?"

"That's what I told them. And their tires weren't slashed." I held up my valve stem remover.

Carla laughed as she nudged Holly, "He always has one of them in his pocket."

"What is it?"

"It's used to take out the valve on tires so the air runs out. It's kind of a destruction of property without destroying anything."

I just shrugged my shoulders. Holly laughed, "How far did they follow you?"

"You mean, YOU? All over. Your car had about a half tank of gas, it's below a quarter. I went around and through the university a few times. Past your father's office, his new home, his new new home, through the zoo, a couple of parks. I was tempted to take them on the freeway and just leave them in the dust, but thought of something a little more fun."

"I hope I never piss you off.", Holly said as she leaned closer to me.

"What time is your class?"

"At 1:30"

"Okay. After we eat, we're taking you back to the university in my truck. Let's leave your car here. When do you get out?"

"Well, the second class is until 4:30, but we are usually out of there by 4."

"Okay, we'll pick you up at 4. If you're running late, that's okay, we'll wait."

"Are you sure it's no problem?" Holly looked at Carla as if wanting an approval.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Do you have your change of clothes in the car?"

"Yes."

"Good. How about staying at my place tonight? That way, first, they can't get to you at the house, and second, it will make it easier taking you to the airport tomorrow."

"Sure, but Mom's flight isn't in until 5:30."

"I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if those two in the white van didn't try to get their story out of spite now."

"You may be right. Oh, I bet they're really pissed off."

Carla chuckled, "I bet their boss is really pissed off."

"Well, that will teach them. When you are told to leave somebody alone, leave them alone... unless you're a private dick." The three of us laughed.

"By the way, did you tell Mr. Schaffer about this?"

"No, I thought it might be better if I talked to you first."

"Good girl. Just tell him that they followed you around until you got on the freeway and then you lost them. Nothing about the switch. It will just sound like they lost you and started following around another Vette or two or three."

"Okay."

We finished eating. I walked over to the bar to ask Murph to keep an eye on the Vette. "Murph, there's a red Corvette out back, can you just kind of keep an eye on it for a while? We'll get it when we come back after work."

"A Corvette? The P.I. business must be doing pretty good. Sure, I'll watch it. Wait a minute." Murph walked over to the cash register and opened it.

"It's not mine. That's why I want you to keep an eye on it."

"Why don't you pull it into that garage back there. The third one from the end. That way nobody can mess with it. Not that anybody from around here would do something like that." He handed me the key. "Just hold onto the key and give it back to me when you get the car."

"Okay, Murph. Thanks." I didn't even know he had the rights to any of those garages.

Carla and Holly had already walked outside. I told them to wait a minute while I pulled the car inside the garage. As I got around to the Vette, Carla had pulled my truck around back. I pulled the Vette into the garage , closed the door, and locked it. Then I walked over to the truck and opened the driver's door.

"I'll drive." Carla said as the door swung open.

"No, that's okay. Just in case they pick up on us again, I'd rather be driving."

"Oh, that's a good idea."

"Besides, you know the way I am with women drivers." I laughed. Both of the girls smacked me across the back of the head.

Holly called Mr. Schaffer about being followed He wasn't happy.

We got Holly over to the university without incident. Not even one white van with a satellite dish in sight. Carla decided to walk her to the building, just in case any press people were laying-in-wait. I just stayed in the truck with the engine running, ready to go.

One of the university police came by just to remind me not to leave my truck parked there. It was an old buddy of mine, Phil.

"Mick Pheury, how the hell are you?" He reached out with his right hand. I shook it. "I haven't seen you around lately."

"Life's good, Dead-eye, how's the university treating you?" That's when I noticed the lieutenant's bars on his collars, "I guess I should say Lieutenant Dead-eye."

"It's a living. Sure beats the hell out of working the city."

Phil was on the city department around the same time as me. One night a couple of years ago, he was checking his business district, something few cops do anymore because "nothing ever happens". Well, Phil rattled this one door and it opened. As it opened, a shot rang out, (Did you really think you would read an entire detective novel without a shot ringing out?) and the bullet caught Phil in the chest. Luckily, Phil was wearing his vest, but a second shot caught him in the shoulder. Phil returned fire and caught the perp, that's cop speak for the bad guy, right between the eyes. Hence the nickname "dead-eye". By popular demand, meaning his wife, and she was very popular, he resigned from the department. A couple of years later she left him. He spent his whole life wanting to be a cop, but after the shooting didn't want to go back to the city. The university was expanding and needed some experience, so they conned... I mean, convinced him into working there. I would guess the gold bars were part of the deal.

"I take it you have something to do with this Armacost thing, huh?", he asked.

"Well, sort of, but not exactly. His daughter is a friend and, with all that's going on, I wanted to make sure she got here okay."

"The chief told all of us that your office called to let us know about the media trying to track her down and thought we should know about it in case they try to catch up to her here. That's why I'm out here driving around in this unmarked car."

"Yeah, I really appreciate it. Have any of them been around?"

"Yeah, a couple of them earlier. As soon as we told them to leave, they did. But you know them..."

"Oh yeah, give them a couple of hours. Just like sharks, when they get hungry... I'll be back later to pick her up. Around 4."

"Okay, I'll probably still be here. If they show back up, we'll give you a call."

Carla came walking back to the truck and got in. "Phil, this is my assistant, Carla. Carla, this is Dead-eye."

"Dead-eye?"

"Long story, I'll tell you about it on the way back to the office."

Carla looked over at Phil, "Nice to meet you."

"Assistant?", Phil asked.

"Assistant, secretary, partner, whatever I need."

"I seeeeeee! Nice meeting you too, Carla."

"Oh well, Phil. Thanks for keeping an eye on things here. We'll have to get together."

"Are you still hanging out at Murphy's?"

"Just about every night after work. You have to stop by."

"I'll do that."

"Well then, hopefully I'll see you up there."

We left and headed back to the office. I still wanted to call David Schmidt. There were 2 messages from McNally on the answering machine. I called David Schmidt's office first, he was in court. Then I called McNally.

12