Mike and Mary Too

Story Info
Mike's journey out of Hell.
2.3k words
4.19
75.5k
21
18
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 03/02/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PTBzzzz
PTBzzzz
595 Followers

The flash was blinding, the temperature of Hell must have doubled. I knew that I could keep driving for at least a minute before I would have no idea what to do. So we kept going.

The next thing I remembered was waking and pain like I had never felt in my life. There were machines around me busy making noises. I was restrained, and my head was wrapped in bandages so I could not see and I could not get whatever was in my throat out. People started yelling and all hell broke loose, again.

I must have passed out again. When I awoke the next time there was nothing in my throat. I tried to speak. Not much came out, it sounded like a groan. I heard someone crying off to my left. I moved my hand and someone held it tightly. I heard the voice of an angel, my angel, my Mary. She was saying how happy she was that I had made it.

Made What? How did Mary get into Hell? Why was I like this? What had happened?

Over the next 2 weeks Mary sat with me, fed me, talked to me, held my hand and would not leave my side. The doctors made her leave when I was examined and new bandages were applied. The restraints were finally removed and the bandages that wrapped my head got lighter and lighter. Then 1 day they left my eyes uncovered. The lights in the room were turned way down and I was told that I could open my eyes when I wanted.

I waited for Mary to return. She asked what was happening, why the lights were so low. At that point I struggled to open my eyes. Yep, she was my angel; she was the best thing I had ever seen. She did not know that I could see her until I complimented her on the beautiful dress she wore. She burst out in tears, we both cried for what seemed like hours.

The next morning I had more visitors. I recognized the CO from my Guard unit; the others were new to me. I saw more generals that morning than I knew existed. I tried to salute, my CO said don't bother. Every one of the generals returned my salute at the same time, I was impressed. They told me that my actions allowed all of the vehicles behind mine to continue through a well planned, well manned ambush. And, that due to my actions no one had been killed. Almost the entire opposing force had been wiped out. The body count was over 100. I heard later that 2 of our guys were slightly wounded in the ensuing fight.

I heard the word hero. Hell, I don't feel like a hero. I hurt and want my Mary, I told them so. They allowed her to come forward and hold my hand. I got some medals and with the ceremony over we held hands and I took a nap. Life was getting better.

3 days later Mary had to go home, she had been away for over a month and there were things that had to be done there.

2 days after that I found out I would be sent back to the States. There were 5 of us going home on that flight. Each of us had about 15 people there to watch over us. We landed at Andrews, outside Washington, and were transported to Walter Reed. Then the surgeries started.

Mary was able to visit every 3rd or 4th weekend, she had responsibilities at home. I told her that I understood and was glad for the time we had. Mom and Dad made it a few times too. Life was better, but each of the 5 rounds of surgery brought new pain.

The surgeons who worked on me were civilians; I heard they were the best in the world. They quietly denied that. I also heard they were doing my work for free, I did not ask about that. Before they started they told me that my face had been worked over pretty good. The flash of fire and surgeries to remove dead or dying skin left my face in bad shape. They asked me how I would like to look after the surgeries. I told them that I did not want to look like Tom Cruise or Jack Nicholson. Then, jokingly I said maybe Rodney Dangerfield. Remember my sense of humor?

One of the gifts Mary found for me had saved me from a much worse fate. It seems that she is a distant cousin to a NASCAR driver. She had her folks contact his family; they had him send me a suit like the drivers wear in the races. It was mostly red with a red scarf and the same type of goggles they wear. When our group went out for a "Joy Ride" I would put it on. Around the camp I became known as The Red Baron. I was not allowed to wear it unless I was driving.

The part they needed to work on was from my mouth to my eyes and above my eyes to my forehead. Compared to some of my new friends on the ward I was gorgeous, and they let me know. When they found out that I was the Red Baron we became close friends. It seems that I was well known throughout Iraq. For an opponent to have knocked me out of the fight would have been a real big deal.

Since the time I left for Hell, Mary had not seen my face. I had not looked at it since the flash, except a short glance when I first arrived at Reed. The only picture she had of me were from the wedding. She sent one to the surgeons, they gave it to me when they were done with it. The only contact Mary and I could have was below my shoulders.

So here I was married for over 2 years, still a virgin, half of my face was melted and I was over 400 miles from home. My new friends and I had a deal, the first one of us to complain got their ass kicked, but good. Life was still getting better.

I had my last surgery around the 1st of April; this was all they would be able to do. When word got out in my hometown that I could be home for the 4th of July the town decided to throw another party the likes of which had never been seen. Mary visited me on the 6th of April and spilled the beans. I told her I did not want to be put on display; I wanted to be home with her. Well, like it or not, I was to be the guest of honor in the 4th of July Parade. I was going to attend and be happy. I saluted, said "Yes Sir" but did not like it. Life was still better than it had been.

When they removed my bandages I saw a handsome face, that did in my mind remind me of Rodney just a little. To say I was astounded would be an understatement. They tried to return my own look but it was not to be. I guess I just won't get any respect.

For the last week before I was released they allowed me to roam around the hospital grounds and then to take a ride into town in a cab. The first thing I did was buy some fast food, and then I bought a nice used car and camera.

June 20th the day I was released was the 2nd happiest of my life. I said farewell to my new friends and left them my parents address. I also took pictures of all of them. I got some maps and started to drive home. I had not told anyone which day I would be released. Mary and I had been communicating with cell phones for the last 3 months. I wanted to take my time, see the world and check some things out.

Mary had been talking about a girl friend she called Billie. She had mentioned that she did not like being alone for so long at the house, because it was quite remote. So Billie came over often and sometimes stayed overnight. A few weeks before I was released from Walter Reed I got a letter from Scott. He said the last few times he and his wife went to see Mary she had not been alone. There was a very large man staying at the house. After the letter I called my partner and asked if he could have it checked out.

I was not happy with the news I got back. Billie was William Rodney Howard; he was a vicious, 350 pound linebacker on the local college football team. It was said that he could stop 3 large men at a time and finish the game as if he had watched from the sidelines. They had met when Mary tutored him in math, he was about to get kicked off the team and loose his scholarship. I knew Mary had been a volunteer but she had not told me much about it.

The next day I drove down the road near my house and saw them on the porch. Stripe saw the car and came out to investigate. She recognized me, and almost gave me away. I had to drive fast to get out of there. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw her confusion, it hurt. But not as much as my concern about what my wife was doing. I left the area and drove north to see my partner at the studio. He had only been in contact with her a few times; to give her the wedding pictures and answer questions I had asked. He said the PI he hired did not find any signs of inappropriate activities, I hoped he was right.

When Mary called me that evening I told her that I had to ride in with my unit for the parade. Since she was leery of large groups, I made arrangements to meet her at the house after the parade. Mary indicated that she would be glad when we had a chance to talk and relax.

As we talked I was driving west to spend some time with my CO and his family and think. He noticed my lack of concentration and asked me what was on my mind. I unloaded the entire mess right in his lap. He sympathized with me and told me not to worry about Billie. He only said "...He knew about the guy and I had nothing to worry about".

July 4th was hot, sunny and muggy, compared to Hell it was a spring day. We met the unit at our armory. Someone had saved my red suit and framed it. They hung it among our other awards. I was given a new dress uniform with my new medals already on it. When I commented that the rank was 2 steps higher than it should be everyone laughed. My CO told me it was correct. My car was placed on a trailer and we all rode the busses to the parade as was our custom.

I rode on a float in the parade; someone provided a beach umbrella to protect my new face. I was embarrassed by all the attention showered on me. When we got to the reviewing stand there were speeches, a review of the events on the day of the flash and my medal citations were read. When my time came to speak I told everyone that I was no hero, that I did what I was trained to do. I showed them the pictures of my friends in Washington and told how they and the people killed were the heroes. Then I made the longest drive in my life.

Mary was waiting on the porch when I got there, as I walked up I could see her crying. When I took her hand to go inside she started to sob loudly. I sat there not knowing what to do or say, it was 5 minutes later that Billie walked out of the kitchen.

As soon as I heard his voice I knew what my CO said was true. He explained that after the news spread about me that some guys decided to see what they could get into around my place. At first the sheriff chased them off, but they kept coming back at all times of the day. Mary was so upset that she could not tutor him the next time they met. He offered to watch over her and told her about himself. He was involved in a serious relationship, could never cheat and that I had saved his father's life when I continued to drive that day. Besides she had helped him stay in school, he would always be in her debt. Talk about sweet and kind...

Wait a minute! His father; Staff Sergeant Howard was beside me that day. His family and boyfriend and Stripe came out of my kitchen after that. Yep, I said boyfriend, he had no interest in women what-so-ever.

After they left Mary and I finally talked. She had seen the car as I drove by the other day, and recognized me as the driver when she watched the parade on TV. She was worried about what I thought was going on, glad to have me home and surprised by my new look all at the same time. She did not tell me about the guys for fear that I would slip in my recovery. Later that evening after we were talked out, we went upstairs and opened the bedroom door. It looked exactly the way it was the morning I left for Hell. She refused to sleep in that room without me. 20 minutes later we had solved the problem of our virginities.

9 months later little Billie was born, everybody including Stripe loves her. The month after that her namesake graduated Cum Laude. Life could not be better and I am sure her Aunt is smiling.

PTBzzzz
PTBzzzz
595 Followers