Minerva Ch. 03 of 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sorry JG, but I'm here with my uncle, and he's negotiating some big business deal on with Fabian's father. I have to look pretty and keep Fabian chaffing at the bit, until it's all signed sealed and delivered."

I don't think I was pleased to hear those words. All kind of unpleasant scenarios started running around in the back of my head. I suddenly realised that I hadn't really thought everything through.

Mind you, they were in the back of my head because it was the first time I'd got my arms anywhere near being around Kylie. Bugger, except for a brief handshake -- more of a gentle and polite, hand touch really -- on those cliff stairs, it was the first time we'd really touched each other.

Nope, I lie there. I now recall revelling in the feel of her touch as she held my arm to steady herself as we walked along the cliff.

We didn't really talk very much once we were dancing. I was way too busy staring at Kylie's beautiful face. I had no idea what she was thinking as we glided around that floor, but I know the thought at the forefront of my mind was that I wanted the combo's set to go on forever.

The band's set did go on for longer than usual, probably more like six or seven numbers, against their usual four or maybe five. I discovered later, that had been Jack's doing, he'd slipped over to the stage and had a quiet word with the Combo's leader.

Not that I was really counting, my mind was really much to busy. Look, I knew I'd been attracted to Kylie from the moment I'd clapped eyes on her; that attraction had grown when we'd enjoyed breakfast together. By the time we were dancing with each other, I actually feared that I was falling in love with her.

Yeah "feared" is what I said. As Jack had pointed out, Kylie and I came from two different ends of society. I wasn't dumb; I knew how the world works even then.

However because I was young, I had little idea about how attraction can suddenly and unexpectedly turn into love, or maybe infatuation. Anyway by the time that dance set came to an end, I knew that Kylie had me roped good and proper.

"Thank you JG, you dance divinely well."

"Why thank you milady; Miss Moffette will be so pleased to hear that."

----- ----- ----- -----

"Miss Moffette?" Sandra broke into my narration.

You know for a moment or two, I had forgot my audience was even there. Possibly I'd dropped into daydream mode again and began to wonder how... specific, I'd been about my thoughts and desires where Kylie was concerned. "Yeah Miss Moffette from school. She taught us how to dance ballroom, didn't she?"

"Well, she tried! You were always stamping all over everyone's bloody feet. Damn-it, JG, you were only there for the girls."

"And I got the chance to get all up close and personal with you, when I helped you to a seat after I'd trodden on your toes, and rubbed them better for you."

"Randy bugger. Next, you're going to tell me that you took lessons in massage as well."

"My older cousin Mavis, you remember her, Sandy; she was a masseuse and she said that I had a wonderful touch. I just put the skills she taught me to good use on your feet."

"And everywhere else you could get away with, as well!"

"Can you two stop reminiscing about what went on behind the school bike sheds? Let Gilroy get back to his story Sandra, or we'll still be here tomorrow morning." Harcourt butted in.

"Yeah okay." I said, rather pleased about his interruption. God knows where the conversation would have ended up, I might have given away all of my secrets.

----- ----- ----- -----

Anyway Kylie had thanked me for the dance while I escorted her over to where her party were sitting.

As we approached them, the Fabian guy rose to his feet and we kind-a had a mental confrontation; we locked eyes with each other. If looks could kill, I'd have been struck dead on the spot.

Although I got the distinct impression that the long streak of nothing, wouldn't have the gumption to actually call me out, or anything. I'm not sure how I knew that, but it was clear to me, for some reason. That Fabian guy reminded me of a few people I known in my younger days who... Well let's just say, you didn't turn your back towards them.

I also figured that Jack had been correct; I was going have to be alert that some little snot-rag didn't creep up behind me on a dark night. Not that I thought Fabian would have the nerve to.

I might have been new to the reporting game back then, and pretty green about the ways of the world. But I knew that Fabian's sort weren't averse to paying others to do their dirty work for them. I think most reporters, and probably police officers as well, know that it goes on. But belief, isn't evidence that will stand the test of a defamation of character lawsuit, is it?

Almost everyone who was sitting around the table gave me 'the look'. You know, they made it quite obvious to me that -- in their opinion -- I had no right to ask Kylie to dance in the first place.

I'm afraid I wasn't witness to the discussion that went on between Kylie and certain members of the party, because I was walking back to join Grace and Jack at their table.

Jack, who was seated in a better position than Grace to see their table, told me that he thought that there had been a somewhat heated exchange of views, before Kylie had stormed out of the Palm Court's far entrance. I went to get up again and follow her, but Jack suggested that I didn't.

"No leave it Gil. That Fabian fellow and at least three bodyguards; two of his I think, and her own minder followed her out. There's no point in walking out there into the dark and finding something you might not be able to handle. She'll come to no harm my lad, that guy who watches over her will see to that."

----- ----- ----- -----

I left it about another half hour and then retired to the almost empty bar. From there I could watch the bottom of the main staircase at least. At sometime Kylie must have returned to the Palm Court, because several pints and an indeterminate interval later, I saw Kylie cross the lobby and head up the stairs.

She glanced my way and smiled briefly. But before I had time to slip off my stool, her bodyguard had appeared behind her. He saw where Kylie was looking and me beginning to move, but with a gesture of his hand, warned me to stay where I was. As I settled back on the stool, he smiled and nodded, then said something to Kylie, who quite literally grinned back at him. Then she threw me another quick smile before running up the stairs.

It was the following day that I discovered what that bodyguard had said to Kylie on those stairs.

I waited about another twenty minutes or so, but neither came downstairs again, so I went up to my own room for the night.

End of Chapter 03

12