Mixed Blessings Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
deathlynx
deathlynx
297 Followers

Trees flashed past and the road rumbled beneath the jeep. Every once in a while they would hit a slightly larger bump, which would elicit a low moan of pleasure from Laslie's soul. He didn't know when it had occurred to him that he could not live without her, but he knew it to be true. Whether as friends, lovers or simply partners, his life would feel incomplete without Alicia's presence. Of course, that he loved her only strengthened the bond.

Soul or not, he still needed to know what she knew. He needed to ask her, to find out if what the elders had said was true. But how to ask her without making it sound like an accusation? And if she didn't know, how could he possibly break it to her?

"Las, what is it?" Alicia had pulled the seat upright once more and now stared intently at him. Her concern was plain on her face. She had never been capable of deception, it was one of the many things he loved about her. "What's wrong, love?"

He glanced over at her. Her concern made her young face even more tender. How could he possibly hurt her? How could he tell her the awful truth? "Do you want to know what the fighting was about?" He could see the answer in her eyes. She did, but he knew she wouldn't ask, wouldn't pry even when he presented the opportunity with his question. His eyes turned back to the road. They had lost their pursuit, for even Sidhe could not keep up with a speeding car for long.

Laslie sighed. "None of my tribe knows about the Dhase. Of that I was sure, or I would have been taught of your existence. They covered all of the other races known to us, at least peripherally. Vampires were nothing more than a myth, a nightmare created by the humans to explain something, perhaps even the Unseleigh. But whatever the reason, we had no knowledge of you."

Laslie glanced back to his love, but could not bear watching the intense concentration of her expression. Like her, he had learned to read his lover's body. That expression meant she was fighting to hide her emotions; likely her fear. He opened his mouth to speak, but could not figure out how to continue. His jaw opened and closed a few times as he tried to work it through.

"One of the other tribes knew of old tales." Laslie's head snapped around. Alicia's voice was full of pain and sorrow. No longer was she looking at him. Now, her attention was focused exclusively, and intently, on her hands in her lap. "They knew of the war. They knew of the stalemate and the compromise." He barely heard her choke back a sob. "And they told you."

"You knew?" Alicia just nodded. Tears began to roll down her cheeks. "How could you have known and not told me?"

"I hoped that the memory of that war was gone from your people. That was the compromise, after all. Neither race was to remember the other, lest they begin to hunt once more." Alicia's face collapsed into her hands as she began to sob. Laslie could do little more than place a hand on her back. As she cried, he rubbed circles across her shirt to remind her of him, to remind her he would still be with her when she was ready. He was not going to leave her because of the actions of their races some two thousand years prior.

Slowly, her sobs began to ebb. He felt her body shift against his hand, press back as a cat does when petted. "How old do you think I am?" Laslie barely heard her words.

She spoke so softly, he wasn't sure it was intended for him. He risked an answer anyway. "If any of the legends are true, it would be impossible to gauge by looking. But to guess? Knowing your relative comfort with everything modern, I'd have to say one to two hundred years. I know, for Sidhe at least, those born during the industrial revolution, or after, are much more comfortable with the rapid change of the modern world than those born before it."

Alicia's smile was weak, but she turned it upon Laslie. "Flatterer!" His confusion was evident in his eyes. "A girl always likes to be told they seem a fraction of their real age." His lopsided grin faltered when the important context of the joke hit him. "I am over two thousand years old."

Laslie's eyes widened and his jaw dropped. "I was born, in what is now known as southern Scotland, during the war between the Sidhe and the Dhase. At that time the monsters, for that is what anything not human was referred to as, were well known to us mere mortals. We, the humans, were weak and they were strong. We lived by their sufferance, or simply because we remained unnoticed. We knew that the vampires and fae were at war. We didn't know why, but we didn't care either. If they all killed each other, neither would hunt us; we were either their cattle, or simply their prey."

Her eyes glazed, lost in memories. "Vasili, the one who made me as I am today, had fled the war. He saw the drive of genocide running through the veins of both species and feared the outcome. He knew the isles were one of the strongholds of your kind, but he also knew that most of the Sidhe were on the mainland, hunting Dhase. So he took me, gave me the Gift, and taught me the truth of the world, the truth of all of these things I had only seen as monsters."

His eyes remained on the road as he thought over her story. When she didn't continue he couldn't help but prompt her. "So, what was the compromise? Why the stalemate?"

"The stalemate is easy to explain. You have felt my strength and speed firsthand. A single team of Dhase could tear apart a small army of well trained Sidhe, if they were willing to spend their lives on such an endeavor. But your kind are as numerous to us as the humans are to you. You might have problems repopulating, but we may only grant the Gift every twenty or so years. Please remember also that this was long before you kind became disconnected from the spiritual realms." Laslie had always hated that particular euphemism. The Sidhe had fallen, or been expelled, because they weakened their blood with humans. "Your numbers and your magic could hurt us where nothing else could. The Dhase could hurt the Sidhe either by physically killing them, or simply by draining the life from them. For that was how the war started, the Dhase were taking lovers, and sustenance, among the Sidhe. So enthralled, less of your kind were pairing and having children. We were slowing killing off your kind through our companionship. The elders also accused the Dhase of enslaving Sidhe and simply draining them dry."

"The compromise was a spell. All Sidhe and all Dhase were to meet. The Sidhe cast a great spell to remove the existence of each race from the other's memory. Further, the two would no longer be able to truly notice each other. If a Sidhe and Dhase met, they would never think to use their unique senses on each other. This part of the spell clung to our races, to be passed on to each subsequent generation. The memory didn't matter, so long as they never remembered, they could not tell their children."

"So what happened? How do you remember? How was I able to gaze on your Spiritual form?" Alicia smiled and placed a loving hand on the cheek that had just turned towards her. Her touch was electric. It helped to remind Laslie of everything she was to him. No longer was he frustrated by her secrecy, now he was simply interested in the lesson.

"The two races went their separate ways, never to interact again. Vasili had hidden in my homeland, so we never were bespelled. As to how any of your kind could have known," she shrugged helplessly. "I can only assume that some, among your kind, kept forbidden records to pass down as a warning, should the spell ever fail." She looked at him, curiosity in her eyes. "How much of that was known to your kind?"

Laslie laughed. "Almost none. All they knew was that Sidhe blood was especially potent to your kind. Thousands of years ago the Dhase virtually hunted the Sidhe to extinction and the remaining few cast a spell to utterly destroy their enemies forever. We are blood enemies and to have nothing to do with each other."

Alicia's laughter was light and musical. "Certainly not the history I remember. Though I suppose they had to come up with something to explain vague references scattered about. Although our tradition is entirely oral, I know yours maintained limited runic histories." She cocked her head at him. "So if they were not seeking to kill me, for I could sense their intent directed solely at you, what was their goal?"

"The Sidhe are afraid. Something has begun that they do not understand. The world is changing, they have foreseen, and they do not wish to be consumed by it. They have insisted all Sidhe are to remain in Stronghomes until it passes. I refused to leave you and they fear their misconceptions."

The jeep stopped. Laslie turned in his seat and used a hand on her neck to guide her forehead to his. "You are my soul and I yours. Nothing can ever come between us. This I vow."

Thank you for reading Mixed Blessings. As always, your comments are appreciated. If you enjoyed Alicia, you might also enjoy my Gifting Night series for the adventures of other Dhase. The Dhase are a creation of my muse and anyone wishing to use them should contact me for more information. Thank you, once more, for reading and, again, please vote.

Copywrite January 2007, by Deathlynx

deathlynx
deathlynx
297 Followers
12