Modern Pantheon: Athena

Story Info
Athena seeks out a challenge at a gaming store.
4.6k words
4.48
17.9k
6

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 08/31/2017
Created 05/26/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
deathlynx
deathlynx
296 Followers

Gods weren't omnipotent. Even when the god's believers imbue them with ultimate power, they lack one of the most basic tenets of omnipotence; freedom of will. Sure, Athena had a personality of her own and could choose which favors to grant and which to ignore, but during the height of power in Greece and Rome, she'd been constrained to the laws that they had set upon her.

That was the one blessing to existence after her pantheon had fallen from grace. Her followers were few and most of them held no consistent beliefs about what she was supposed to be like. Sure, they mouthed the platitudes that had come down since ancient times but the actual beliefs tended to shift based on the underlying mores of the day.

As powerful as they had once made her, Athena hated the Greeks with a divine passion. The bastards philosophized for hours on end (in her very temple!) about the nature of the universe and the freedoms afforded to mankind.

Mankind! Even in such a supposedly enlightened society, women had gotten the shaft. And to emphasize the point, they'd set up the same double standard for their deities that they chose to live by. Of the Olympian women, three were virgins and another was expected to hold faithful to a husband who slept around more than any two other gods put together! Only Demeter had been allowed to have any fun and she actually had less chances than even Hera.

Somehow, Athena managed to survive the dark ages, where freedom of thought had been ruthlessly squashed by the leaders of yet another religion. Democracy and knowledge had come back from the brink of destruction. Now, her spheres of influence had never been as powerful, thanks in no small part to America; between the invention of the Internet and the necessity of tactical doctrine over wars of attrition.

Even Hermes had to share some of his control over communications technologies with her, given the overlap with information technologies.

Best of all, however, was the laxity of belief in specifics. Yes, they remembered she was supposed to be a virgin but nobody really believed it. This was an era of free love, as much as free information, and it was hard for the people to envision a strong, independent, woman who was not in control of her own sexuality.

Athena had to admit, if only to herself, that she relished the newfound independence as a bit intoxicating. It might have been egotism, but she thought the protest movement of the end of the nineteen-sixties might even have been a cultural response to her own rampant experimentation. She'd made Aphrodite look downright prudish. It had to be less than coincidence that the country that most closely followed the tenets of her faith devolved into the Summer of Love in quick succession.

It had taken Athena no little time to regain the composure she was so well known for. After too many millennia of repression, she had reveled in hedonism. Not so incidentally, she'd lost quite a bit of status and power in the process. Almost all of what she'd lost had gone straight to the goddess of love.

Now, Athena had to remind herself that just because Aphrodite seemed like a brainless bimbo, most of the time, her half-sister's brain was just as devious as her own. The tactics of love were no less vicious or conniving as those applied to war. That was undoubtedly why Aphrodite had pointed out that the age-old restrictions no longer held sway.

Mournfully, Athena wondered what Hera would have thought of that, or Artemis for that matter. Neither goddess had survived to see the end of the dark ages. The huntress would have wholeheartedly approved of the frontierswomen that America had spawned, not to mention the strong-willed "rednecks" that followed. Hera, on the other hand, would probably have died from depression or ennui, when she saw the deplorable state that marriage had fallen to.

Athena stopped in her tracks. If her thoughts had once more descended to her former rivals, rather than more pressing concerns of those that remained, her own mood must have fallen to the stage that had prompted Aphrodite to "console" her those decades ago. It was the same vulnerable state that had led her to succumb to the treachery of her half-sister.

Still, the therapy proposed at that time still had merit. It wasn't the fault of the analysis that Athena lacked the wherewithal to control herself in her explorations. It wasn't a situation that would be repeated. Like any teenager, suddenly freed of heavy restrictions, she had eventually remembered the worth of self-restraint.

In the words of her half-sister, Athena needed to get laid.

The question was, who. After her fuck-fest, Athena had learned to have some degree of standards. It truly didn't matter to her whether her partner was male or female. What mattered was the level of intellectual stimulation her prospective lover offered. She didn't need them to "talk smart" to her, or anything like that, she just needed to be able to respect them to be aroused. And if she wasn't aroused, a simple fuck wouldn't do her much good.

The bright neon signs that flashed at her from every angle gave her an idea. Athena saw just what she wanted half a block farther up the street and headed for the shop.

Although gamblers had prayed to other gods in her time, she had always found their games intriguing. While heavily influenced by luck, there were rare few games that did not involve strategy on some level. These days, that was even more true. Between collectable card games, model gaming and video warfare, so many modern youth were practically weaned on skills devoted towards Athena.

An amused smile tugged at one corner of her mouth as she opened the door to the shop. If there was ever a store devoted exclusively to her worship, it would have to be this. Boxes lined the wall behind the proprietor's counter. Each carried dozens of cellophane and foil wrapped packs of cards. Along another wall were models and books, all devoted towards strategy as entertainment. In the center of the room stood a dozen tables, currently covered in the paraphernalia of any number of games.

It was the back wall that interested Athena today, however. A dozen screens lined the area. From each extended a controller. In front of most sat young men, intent on the latest craze in third-person shooter games.

Athena made for one of the open seats. As with her preference for someone who challenged her, she knew that the type of man she wanted would be more impressed with a woman who challenged him right back. Sure, virtually every eye in the shop followed her from the moment she entered. Any one of them would undoubtedly drool over the possibility that she might take them out back. Unfortunately, if it was that easy, it wasn't much of a challenge. In this, she imagined, she must be a bit like Ares and want to fight to earn her pleasure.

No magic was needed for the screen to light up the moment she slid into one of the chairs stationed on the floor. The proprietor had seen her intent and activated the equipment from behind the counter. In moments, her avatar sprang to life amid the war-torn scenery of the game. It was a testament to modern beliefs, not to mention an increase in female sales, that she didn't even need to rig the game in order to acquire a female form for her digital persona.

She was off. A mere glance informed her that the current game was a free-for-all rather than a team event. That was better. She could prove herself instantly rather than be subjected to the assumptions that her team needed to carry her dead weight. There would be no question of her superiority.

The numbers began to pile up nicely. Even though she'd come in in the middle of a match, Athena quickly passed by the lowest ranks. It didn't take long to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Soon enough, the field narrowed down as she and her true opponent almost negligently killed off the lessers, time and time again, while they hunter each other.

Athena had come to love these video games. Aside from the homage they paid her, the way that they trained modern youth to be her disciples, she found the games themselves to be a challenge. The medium itself limited her innate abilities to alter reality. What was left was a combination of her reaction timing and her tactical acumen. As a result, elite players among the mortals could actually prove a challenge, even if they usually couldn't defeat her.

Slowly, she began to realize that the competition between herself and her opponent truly had become exclusive. Scattered throughout the wrecked battlefield were the prone figures of the various other avatars. They would only remain that way if the players failed to resurrect them. Rather than continue in the futile attempts, those players had shifted to surround the obvious two masters as they darted and jumped across the field in search of each other.

Athena glanced down the line of chairs. She was a bit relieved to discover a second clump of avid fans at the far end of the row. With games like these, it was always possible that her opponent was not physically present. As it was, she couldn't see whoever it was behind the marine armor and alias "Heartrender".

By the end of the match, everybody inside the shop was clustered around one of the two stations. In unison, they counted down the last few seconds. The frozen screen, when time ran out at last, remained almost anticlimactic after such a duel. Given the weight of the challenge, Athena almost expected to find her enemy in her sights one last time, moments away from death. Or, maybe, be on her own back staring up as her opponent inched a little closer to equality with the goddess.

The controller dropped from her fingers when Athena slumped forward. Her body didn't sweat. Her pulse remained steady and even her breath was constant. Her posture was the only acknowledgement to how hard she'd had to work for the win.

At least, outwardly.

Inwardly, it had been everything she'd hoped for. Although as measured as ever, her blood felt as if it were on fire. A thrum of desire pulsed between her legs, aroused by the competition. When she shifted to stand, in order to go congratulate the challenger, she had to stifle a mew of pleasure. Her thighs rubbed deliciously against her swollen lust.

Athena turned to catch a glimpse of her opponent. She expected to meet eyes filled with a similar heat or, at least, the glow of a hard-fought duel. The frozen brown, hate-filled, lasers that bored into her were so unexpected that she could only stare at the rapid retreat that followed in confusion.

The unexpected emotion did nothing to dull what had been wrought within Athena's body. She smiled and acknowledged the various congratulations from the crowd around her but quickly made her way through. If her opponent chose to retreat, she would need to pursue. The fact that it ended at a bathroom only proved a blessing. After all, that door could probably be locked for privacy, even if no one would dare breach its sanctity.

The brunette spun to confront whichever of the guys had made such a horrible mistake. The moment she recognized Athena, the bemused frustration instantly returned to abject hatred.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing here, bitch?" The young woman shot at the goddess. "It's bad enough I have to be compared to women like you out there! Now you come in here and show me up at my..."

With only a couple of steps, Athena crossed the small bathroom. Her hands found either side of the young woman's face and held her steady while she closed in. Her lips locked with those of the young woman, only partially cutting off the building rant mid-word. The final sounds reverberated within their conjoined mouths even as the youth's eyes flew wide. Athena kept them locked together until she was certain the tirade had been cut short.

Finally, silent, Athena took a step back to get her first good look of the woman who had so seduced her. The poor girl scurried back until her back hit the wall. Even then, she slid a bit farther until her body pressed into the corner. Wide eyes stared in shock and her hands pressed against the wall as if in hopes it would magically open up to allow her escape.

The short bit of tirade the girl had managed to get out had proven she misunderstood her own beauty. Athena didn't need to analyze the baggy, grungy, shirt or oversized pants to realize how self-conscious she was. Although it passed for skater chic, it also doubled as a means to completely conceal every aspect of her body.

Athena could, literally, see through those loose clothes to see the truth beneath, if she chose. Instead, she allowed herself little more than a mortal's perceptions in the matter. A combination of her shorter-than-average stature, at about five-foot three-inches, and slight extra heft above current anorexic styles undoubtedly caused the lion's share of the self-doubt. Of course, it probably didn't help that she had no breasts to speak of.

For all of her shocked protest, Athena could smell the girl's interest in that kiss. For now, a heightened sense of smell was the only luxury she afforded herself. Like the goddess, the scents that drifted from the young woman proved that the challenge had excited the girl. From the rapid swell of pheromones the moment their lips had met, the kiss excited her far more than she chose to admit, perhaps even to herself.

Athena prowled towards the young woman. Panicked eyes swelled wider. She tried to flatten herself against the wall and began to shake when she realized she was trapped.

"You're not here to hone in on my turf." The girl's squeak was a statement of realization rather than a question. The shortened breath and sped-up pulse were probably explained away as fear instead of excitement. Particularly if the poor young thing ignored what was probably a rapidly moistening crotch.

"I'm not here to seduce the guys away from your thrall." The goddess confirmed when she stopped half a foot away.

Her hands found the youth's hips and she leaned forward. Her own, inspiring, breasts pressed between them as she leaned forward. The girl's breath caught at the assumption of another stolen kiss. At the last moment, Athena shifted aside so that her mouth could find the well-pierced ear. She sucked lightly on the lobe and was rewarded by a soft moan and the instinctive grind of hips against the air between their bodies.

Athena found the bottom edge of the oversized shirt and slid her hands beneath. Her fingers glided lightly across plush flesh. She reveled in the simple sensation of skin on skin contact. The shirt tented slightly and lifted as it caught on her arms and followed the upward path of her hands. All tension fled the girl's body. Where she had attempted to mold herself into the corner, she now melted against it with a satisfied moan.

Deft fingers discovered nipples already hard with desire at the crest of small soft breasts. Athena shifted her head and trailed kisses down the young woman's jaw. She was rewarded when her lover lifted her head and tilted away to expose the strong line of her neck. A gentle kiss was quickly followed by a nip and a measured hickey that drew a louder moan but wouldn't leave a mark.

"God, yes!" The girl moaned. Athena grinned. Her teeth teased the delicate skin that covered such an important artery. The thrill of the game had been exciting. The realization that this 'Heartrender' had no experience with women was an added aphrodisiac. This was a challenge of another kind!

Athena plucked at the unseen nipples. A thumb and finger pinched, pulled and twisted. Her own nipples hardened in vicarious anticipation. She didn't expect to feel a similar satisfaction, given the girl's lack of experience. Still, even the memory and thought of how such minor pains tickled and tantalized was enough to shorten her breath.

Athena's knee fought to open the young woman's legs. It wasn't intent that resisted the intrusion but, rather, habit and physics. Once her lover realized what was happening, the girl struggled to shift enough weight to allow Athena unrestricted access.

In moments, the goddess rocked slightly up and down, all of her actions in perfect synchronicity. Her tongue tasted the salty sheen of perspiration along the woman's neck. Her fingers glided across hardened flesh. Her thigh dug between clutching limbs to rub the sensitive desire trapped beneath the loose clothing.

Poor Heartrender was at a loss. Her hands hung limply from the goddess' hips, uncertain of what she could do to reciprocate, or even if she should! The fumbling of the few geeks, out in the shop, that she had blessed enough to fool around a little had been nothing like this. Even her own attempts to alleviate her needs fell far short of the thunderous power that this stranger wrought within her.

Breasts, that she had always considered non-existent, suddenly felt swollen and heavy! Her core burned with desire. Her lips throbbed and her inner thighs were already slick. What little room there was in her mind for thought, realized her neglect to put on underwear that morning would probably mean damp stains on her cargo pants that broadcast her amorous activities.

"More!" The girl whimpered. Athena smiled and pushed her body against the other woman. Pressed thoroughly into the corner, she couldn't move while the goddess deftly worked to remove the intervening pants and, in the case of Athena, panties.

Athena adjusted her stance only slightly. Her thigh continued to bore into the young woman's lust. The change, however, slipped the girl's leg between her own. Only another minor shift brought her free knee up behind and beneath the intrusive thigh and forced her impromptu lover to grind just as forcefully as she was pressed.

Screams began to spill out of the mortal even before Athena's hands found their way back to the tantalizing breasts. Her body began to wrack with uncontrolled shudders as orgasm took control of her. Trapped between the unyielding brick wall and the immovable goddess, the force of the climax had nowhere to go and rebound on the poor human woman.

Athena closed her eyes as ecstasy began to mount within her own body. As moist as both women were, friction could not provide that additional damning caress to push her over the edge. The girl gamer had enough meat on her that her bones didn't dig in and increase the pressure. She had no basis for skill to add to the goddess' pleasure.

None of that mattered. The young woman was everything that the goddess of tactics, knowledge and victory could ask for. The challenge she had offered was more than enough to arouse the goddess' interest. With her interest came her lust.

The innocent delight the young mortal took over the discovery of pleasures that another woman could offer was a mere trifle in comparison. But it was a delicacy. Only the goddess of lust could have savored those breathless moans of surprise any more. Each panted squeak transformed into a spike of euphoria that was then hammered directly into the goddess' loins.

Even a goddess found it hard to continue her ministrations when pulses of Earth-shattering need began to throb between her legs. Athena's eyes drifted closed. Her own moans and gasps wrapped around those of Heartrender. As if to mimic their soft sounds, her body collapsed forward. Her hands, no longer coordinated enough to fondle those petite breasts cupped ass and head.

Heartrender's hips had a mind of their own. She ground mercilessly on the exquisite woman's leg. With each shift, a wave of bliss surged from between her thighs to flush out every corner of her body. The mind that had so enthralled her lover had long since eroded beneath the unyielding euphoria the goddess demanded.

Even Athena's meticulous intellect could not anticipate the exact moment, the final caress, that would push her over the edge. The motion that rocked their bodies also caused them to rub together elsewhere. With nothing but shirts between them, hard nipples began to catch against one another. The coarse fabric of the girl's band t-shirt added just enough friction to turn the slight flick of pleasure into another drawn out press of sensation.

deathlynx
deathlynx
296 Followers
12