Montana Summer Ch. 08

Story Info
Ryan is involved in a shootout.
20.6k words
46.9k
16
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 8 of the 16 part series

Updated 10/28/2022
Created 02/05/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
D_K_Moon
D_K_Moon
385 Followers

In this chapter, and in the last couple of chapters I have introduced some Lakota culture into this story. All of it is accurate as far as I can tell, I have done a lot of research into their culture during the writing of this story, and I am not trying to trivialize, or sensationalize their beliefs. If I have offended any members of the Lakota, or any members of the Great Sioux Nation, I most humbly apologize here and now. It has never been my intent to make a mockery of things that some people hold to be sacred. I encourage anyone who has read, and enjoyed these stories to do some more reading on the heritage of the Lakota. This chapter is dedicated to the memory of Tatanka Yotanka, and Tashunka-Uitco, Sitting Bull, and Crazy Horse, two great men and leaders whose only crime was to try to protect their homes, their way of life, and their people. This is also dedicated to the memory of the people who died at the massacre at Wounded Knee.

And now, Chapter 8...

All of the characters in this story are at least 18 years of age or older I would like to thank everyone that has left me comments, or sent me emails for the previous chapters. It is quite overwhelming to me at how much this story has touched so many readers...

Her words still echoed in Ryan's head, "I want you to make love to me."

They had gone to Ryan's apartment in the barn and had made love. It was different than before. It had been like a summer storm in the mountains, building slowly. Soft and gentle starting like the summer breezes preceding a storm. Like the mounting winds, their passion had built steadily. The anticipation, and expectation were like the boiling black clouds pouring over the peaks. His entry into her was like the first bolt of lightning, and first clap of thunder. The fury of their lovemaking was like that of the storm, wild, and free. When they reached the crescendo of their act it was like the heavens opening. As the storm departed they were left with the peace and the calm of the after.

When Ryan awoke Jessi was still there beside him, her head resting in the crook of his shoulder, her arm across his chest. He had softly stroked her hair until her eyes opened; she had smiled quietly into his eyes. Their kisses were soft, and meaningful, their caresses gentle, and caring. Neither wanted to leave the bed and face the day, they felt that as long as they stayed in that bed that their dream was still alive.

In the house there had been an uncomfortable silence when they walked in. Aunt Suzanne's eyes were puffy, and red from too many tears. Uncle Bill had looked almost gaunt, like the life had been sucked from his body. Ryan's father didn't look much better than Uncle Bill, his mother looked like she had aged a decade overnight.

Ryan quietly drank his coffee in silence; Jessi had gone upstairs to shower, change. He looked at the clock, he needed to get going. There was still the rodeo, and Walter was counting on him. Ryan got up and placed his cup on the counter and walked outside without uttering a word, and climbed into one of the trucks and headed off to town.

Aunt Suzanne watched Ryan leave, and she looked towards the stairs. She sighed deeply, and slowly walked upstairs and knocked on Jessi's door. She opened the door; Jessi was laying face down, her face was buried in her pillow. Aunt Suzanne couldn't hear it, but she could see that Jessi was crying.

Jessi turned over and looked at her mother, "If you are here to just yell at me..."

Aunt Suzanne felt her heart ache as she looked at her daughter, "No, I'm not; I was going to; but, I can't, not now."

Jessi sat up, and made room for her mother to sit, she wrapped her arms around her mother, "Oh mom, I don't know what I am going to do."

"I'm so sorry that this has happened," Suzanne began to cry with her daughter.

"I love him, I love him with all my heart," the tears poured down Jessi's cheeks.

Suzanne held her daughter tightly wishing that there were something she could do to ease her pain. She tried to think of the words that might comfort Jessi, but right now there were none that came to mind.

"Did you want to go and watch him ride," Suzanne asked softly.

Jessi nodded, "Yes, I have to."

"Well you get yourself cleaned up, and ready to go," Suzanne stood up, she turned and looked Jessi in eye, "Did you use any protection last night?"

Jessi shook her head, and her cheeks reddened, "No, but he didn't; finish inside me."

"Okay, but next week we are taking you into see Doc Taylor, you need to get on the pill," Suzanne walked out and closed Jessi's door, and began to sob silently.

---

Ryan tried to put everything that had happened the night before out of his mind as he saddled Bernie. Charlie had come over and had wished him luck. Walter had talked to him as well, telling him just to relax, and to ride like they had for the past two days.

The draw for the day was simple, the top ten teams started in an inverse order, that meant Walter and Ryan would start second to last. Ryan didn't feel much like watching the other teams ride; he stood there quietly with Bernie. There was an ache in his heart today unlike anything he had ever felt before.

Ryan was just getting ready to mount Bernie when Jessi walked up. Bernie whinnied, and nuzzled Jessi in greeting.

"Hey mooch, are you going to make us all proud today?" she smiled softly as she rubbed his ears.

"You doin' ok?" Ryan asked.

Jessi smiled weakly, "Not really, I could use a hug."

Ryan wrapped his arms tightly around Jessi, and held her close, softly he whispered, "I love you Jessi."

She looked up and kissed Ryan tenderly on the lips, "I love you too cowboy. Go out there and do it for me."

"I will," there was conviction in Ryan's voice.

He watched Jessi head back to the stands, his heart beating faster. He didn't know what the future held for them, it there was any future at all. It seemed like his father had fucked that up for him, at least that was the way it felt to him at the moment.

Ryan mounted Bernie, and moved over to where Walter awaited. It would be their turn in the arena shortly.

Becky spotted Jessi in the stands and made her way up the stairs and sat down beside Jessi, "Hey sister, what's the word of the day."

Jessi tried to smile; it was a half-hearted attempt, "Crap, that's the word."

Becky's mood turned serious, she knew something wasn't right, "What's wrong Jessi."

"Oh Becky," tears appeared in Jessi's eyes, "I don't even know where to start?"

Becky put her arm around Jessi, "Start at the beginning."

"We got home last night from the dance, and dad said that they wanted to talk to Ryan and I," Jessi hung her head, "Oh Becky, it was awful, it turns out that Ryan, and I are brother and sister, well, half brother, and half sister."

Becky's mouth dropped, she was stunned, "What the fuck?"

"Can I stay with you for a few days?" Jessi looked at her friend, "I can't stay at home, at least for a little while."

"Oh God yes, you can stay with me," Becky was still in shock, "What the hell is going on?"

Jessi wiped the tears from the corners of her eyes, "I'll tell you the whole story later."

Becky nodded, and gave Jessi a supportive hug, "Okay, whenever you feel up to it."

The PA crackled and announced, "Okay now riding will be the team in second place, Walt Red Elk, and Ryan McFayden, they still have a good chance of taking first place, they are only three tenths of a second out of first."

Jessi grabbed Becky's arm and yelled, "C'mon Ryan!!"

Jessi and Becky watched as the steer left the chute; Bernie and Ryan took off like they had been shot from a cannon, Ryan's head was low, almost touching Bernie's. They held their collective breath as Ryan's lasso began to twirl. As soon as the loop landed smoothly over the steer's head Bernie leaned his whole body to the left, pulling the steer with him. Walt was right behind Ryan, and he caught the rear legs of the steer, and the horn sounded.

"Damn, that was good!" Becky cheered.

Jessi gave Becky a big high five, "Yeah!"

The girls headed down to end of the arena where Ryan and Walter would be with their horses, the PA crackled to life, "That was one hot ride folks, five point seven nine, let's have a big hand for our local boys Walt, and Ryan."

"That was great Ryan," said Walter as he dismounted.

"Thanks Walt. I took a big chance, I let go of the lasso about two steps sooner than before and let Bernie take over," Ryan replied.

"Try to do it again on our next go round," Walt nodded as he listened to the PA give the final riders' times, "We gained two tenths, we are only down by one tenth, we gain two tenths again, and its ours!"

"Hey cowboy, how about a hug for a pretty girl," Becky teased Ryan while Jessi gave Walter a hug.

"Where's the pretty girl?" Ryan laughed, and hugged Becky tightly.

Becky balled up her fist and laughed as she shook it in front of Ryan's face, "You watch it buster."

Jessi walked up behind Ryan and put her arms around his waist and hugged him tightly, she stood on her tiptoes and whispered into his ear, "You're still my cowboy."

Ryan turned around and smiled softly at Jessi, he put his arms around her and held her tightly, "Yeah, and that's how I like it."

There was a small tear in Jessi's eye, "I'm going to spend a few days with Becky, and I just want you to know that it's not because of you. I just need time away from Mom and Dad right now."

Ryan nodded, his expression was sad, "I do understand, and I'm gonna miss you."

"You don't have to miss me, I'm not leaving to be away from you, you can come in and see me anytime," Jessi kissed Ryan on the cheek.

Bernie had noticed all the attention that he was missing out on; he pushed his head gently against Jessi.

"Oh Bernie, I didn't mean to ignore you," Jessi hugged Bernie's head, she rubbed his ears gently, "After all you are the star."

Walter laughed, "That is one spoiled horse."

Ryan shook his head, "You think?"

The second and the final round for the day, and for the competition was set to start immediately after the end of the first round. After Jessi and Becky returned to the stands Ryan stood beside Bernie talking to him softly, and stroking the side of his head.

Although there was no way that Bernie could know, much less understand the scoring; deep inside he knew that he, and his rider was doing well in the competition. He could sense Ryan's nervous excitement. Bernie was anxious to get back into the arena; he loved the thrill of the chase, and roar of the fans. He knew the faster he ran, the more thrilling the chase was, and the louder the approval of the fans. He shook his head, and then turned it so he could see Ryan on his back.

Ryan looked into Bernie's eye, he leaned down and whispered into Bernie's ear, "We're gonna do it Bernie, you and me, we're gonna do it."

It was their turn; Ryan and Walter rode around the arena, waving at people they knew, people they thought they might have known, and just anyone who would wave back.

Ryan backed Bernie into the box. Adrenalin was beginning to pump through both horse, and rider. Bernie sensed that it was almost time, his muscles tensed waiting for the moment that they would be needed to propel a little over twelve hundred pounds of horse and rider forward.

Ryan glanced over at Walter and gave him a nervous nod. Walter mouthed back the words, "You can do it."

The chute opened, the steer felt a quick slap on its rump, he wanted to be free of the chute and took off out into the arena in an attempt to escape.

Jessi, and Becky saw the gate open, and the steer began to run, they rose from their seats and started to stand.

Uncle Bill, and Roy held their breath.

The steer was running as fast as it could, it passed the barrier, and had no understanding of what the barrier was.

This was it, it was time, Ryan's spurs touched Bernie, and his coiled lasso slapped Bernie on the rump.

The massive muscles in Bernie's hindquarters fired, and pushed him forward, his front legs lifted off of the ground for a fraction of a second, and they landed on the ground in front of the horse. As his rear legs extended, his front legs hit the ground, and muscles in his shoulders pulled him and the rider forward. Over and over, this was repeated so that in no time he was at a full gallop.

Ryan's hand was light on the reins; he knew Bernie didn't need anything from him in the pursuit of the steer. Ryan's heart pounded as pure adrenalin took over. It all seemed to be unfolding in slow motion in front of him. He felt his arm begin to spin the lasso.

Jessi was screaming wildly as she watched Bernie, his long legs a blur as he was rapidly gaining ground on the running steer.

Becky was yelling and clapping her hands as she watched Ryan getting ready to rope the steer.

Uncle Bill's arm was extended, his finger pointing at Ryan.

Roy was holding his breath; his fingers were crossed behind his back.

It seemed too early, but Ryan sent the loop flying through the air towards the steer's head.

Walter had started twirling his lasso just waiting for the moment that Ryan and Bernie moved the steer to the left. Walt was going to take a chance, he calculated in his head where he thought the steer's feet would be.

Bernie watched for the rope to land and prepared to send himself sideways.

Jessi had her hands at her mouth; she was bouncing up and down nervously as she waited for the loop to land.

Ryan had his hand on the rope, beginning to loop it around the saddle horn, his left foot was poised waiting to spur Bernie on his left side, the reins were looped around his left hand, ready to pull hard to the left.

Roy closed his eyes, he couldn't watch, the pressure too much.

Uncle Bill cheered as the loop dropped over the steer's neck.

Walter sent his lasso sailing towards the hind feet of the charging steer.

Bernie dropped his left side and tried to turn on a dime, he was attempting to change the direction of almost two thousand pounds of steer, horse, and man in an instant. He sucked in a massive gulp of air, and then with every ounce of energy he had, he pulled hard on the steer.

The steer stepped right into Walter's lasso, Walt's horse dug it's front feet into the dirt trying to stop the roped steer.

Jessi and Becky were cheering wildly, Roy had opened one eye, and Bill felt his heart start again.

Bernie turned hard to the right, and stopped, then backing slowly to keep tension on the rope.

The horn sounded. It was over. The crowd was on their feet cheering, they could sense they had just seen an incredible ride.

Walter tossed his hat in the air as he rode over to Ryan, "That's gotta be even better than our first time."

Ryan's heart was pounding hard, the adrenaline still coursing through his body, he leaned forward and whispered into Bernie's ear, "You did it Bernie, you showed them."

"Hot damn Walt!" Ryan slapped Walter on the shoulder as he rode up, "That felt good."

"Five point six seven," the PA announcer yelled, "I don't care where you're from, that was one hell of a ride by Walt, and Ryan. Let those two cowboys hear what you thought of that ride."

As they rode around the arena waving to everyone Bernie was almost strutting, his head held high. Bernie loved this, the sound of the crowd, the feeling of the man on him rubbing his ears, his gentle voice excited.

Jessi and Becky had tears in their eyes as they whistled and yelled, they made their way down to the arena and waited for Walter and Ryan. Jessi spotted Charlie waiting for his son; she walked over to him and gave him a hug, "Thank you Charlie, thanks for everything you've done for Ryan."

The normally stoic Charlie had a huge grin on his face, and tears in his eyes, "He's..." Charlie was too choked up with emotion to continue.

Walt and Ryan rode out of the arena whooping, and hollering, they could sense victory now.

Becky, and Jessi held onto Ryan as they watched the final team. They would have to pull of a five point five or better. The steer was out, and the team was riding hard, the header hit his mark, but disaster struck for the heeler, he only got one of the hind feet, and that would result in a five second penalty.

It wouldn't matter what their time was now, Ryan and Walter had won the team-roping event.

Ryan was too stunned to speak as Jessi, and Becky cheered, Uncle Bill, and Roy had come down out of the stands and had joined the small group.

Charlie came over to Ryan, he still had tears in his eyes, "I can never thank you enough for what you have done for me, my son, and the whole Wolf's Creek band."

"I'm just glad that Walt asked me," he gave Charlie a hug, "And that he had faith in me."

Uncle Bill walked up to Ryan, his eyes still had a look of sadness to them, "You did good Ryan, for what it's worth right now, and it's probably not worth a lot, I am proud of you,"

Ryan looked his uncle in the eye, "Thanks, and it does mean a lot."

After the awards were presented Ryan just stared at the belt buckle, it was the size of a small plate. Jessi and Becky hung off of him like he was a rock star. Each time he looked at Jessi he felt a small twinge of sadness, she was the girl he loved, and she loved him. She didn't feel like she was his sister, he wondered if he would ever be able to change the way he felt about her.

Roy and Margaret had left just after supper; they had an early morning flight and were planning to stay the night at the hotel that was right beside the airport. Not much had been said when they left, Ryan had only given his parents perfunctory hugs, and mumbled his farewell. Jessi had gone into town to stay with Becky. What should have been a night for celebration was the loneliest night Ryan had experienced since he had arrived in Montana.

There wasn't a lot for Ryan to do, he went up to his little apartment, showered and climbed into bed. When he laid his head on his pillow he could still smell the perfume that Jessi had worn the night before. As he closed his eyes he felt the cruel sting from the tears of sadness in his eyes.

---

Bill's fingers traced the gentle curves of her body, she felt so smooth to his touch. As his hand caressed her neck, he closed his eyes. She was his first love. He pulled her body tightly against his; he loved how she felt against him. He could whisper his secrets to her, he could tell her of his heartbreak and sorrow, and she would listen quietly, she would ask him no questions, and tell him no lies. His one hand softly caressed her neck and as his fingers ran over her, she began talking to him. Her voice could be gentle, and soft, she could be wild, and raw, she could be whatever it was that he wanted, and needed.

Bill's eyes were closed as he played his favorite guitar and he began to sing, "Close the door before you leave, and cover up my feet, Fetch me the bottle, and let me cry myself to sleep."

Suzanne could hear her husband singing and playing downstairs; she could feel the pain in his voice, she knew the anguish that was in his soul. She knew he would down there for hours until he worked some of the pain out. Listening to him made her tears come, and also somehow soothed her, she was still softly sobbing as she fell asleep.

Jessi and Becky had just climbed into bed; she had told Becky everything that had happened the previous night in the house. Several times she had broken down, and had begun to cry.

"I just don't know what to do, I know that there can never be a future for us, but I still love him so much," Jessi was glad to be here with her friend.

"I wish I had the answer," Becky was trying to console her best friend.

"Damn him," Jessi was half laughing, and half crying, "Damn him for making me fall in love with him."

"Yeah," Becky laughed, "It's all his fault. If he was here right now..."

D_K_Moon
D_K_Moon
385 Followers