Moonshadows Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Taking several, measured breaths, I tried to start calming myself down. As I felt my heart rate slow to a more normal rhythm, I sat up straighter and made myself assess what was going on with me. I was sure it had to do with that guy, but the fact remained that I'd flipped out for no apparent reason. Sure, he was a creep, but it wasn't like he was threatening me or anything, or even being overtly pervy, even though his questions were totally inappropriate.

Still, for whatever reason, this Cassian Grey set off some subconscious panic-mode in me. I didn't realize then how accurate my instincts were; I just knew I couldn't face him again.

Having gotten myself under control again, I tracked down my coworker, Emma, and got her to take over his table by conveying the truthful fact that he was creeping me out. She offered to get our manager to ask him to leave, but I didn't want to cause a fuss and talked her out of it, figuring that if I didn't have to interact with him again, it wouldn't be a big deal.

I regretted my decision a little bit as I felt his eyes on me for the next hour while I tended to my other tables. Even though I did my best to ignore him and he didn't do anything inappropriate, the spring was definitely out of my step and I missed Rafe more and more.

So on my break, I found myself rummaging in my purse for my cheap, old-school flip phone. I didn't use it often since I had my landline at home, but it was useful in a pinch and after my run-in with the biker creeps when I first met Rafe, I'd thought it a prudent investment if only for safety's sake.

The familiar number was easy to dial. I only wanted to talk to him for a second, just hear his delicious voice, then I'd go back to work, but my heart sank as it rang and rang. Ultimately, his mellow tone came through the line as his voicemail recording.

"You've reached Rafe Koenig. I can't answer the phone right now, so leave me a message and I'll get back to you. Thanks."

I left a short, bland voicemail without mentioning my disturbing encounter. No need to be dramatic when I'd see him tomorrow anyway. Besides, by the time I got back, Cassian was gone and I breathed a sigh of relief. Emma informed me brightly that he might be a creep, but he was still a damn good tipper and offered to give me a portion; I told her to keep it.

By the time we closed, I was exhausted and edgy, casting anxious glances over my shoulder as I left the building and unlocked my bike. Nothing. Still, the prickling feeling of eyes on my back followed me the whole time as I peddled quickly through the crisp autumn dark, the full moon casting flitting shadows that chased me all the way home.