More than Friends: Ch. 02

Story Info
She loves him, but he loves...
6.7k words
4.63
17.2k
16

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 06/28/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note- This story has very little sex and this chapter has none.

*****

Janice tried to ignore her feelings but they only weighed heavier on her as with the passage of time, it began to sink in that she had lost Edward in every way possible. Now that he and Yvonne were living in the same city and dating they were no longer communicating via mails. So, of course she was cut off from Edward's life except for whatever news she would get from Yvonne during their calls. As difficult as it was to hear the intimate details of their relationship it was even more difficult to accept that she had lost her friend.

Even though Yvonne had once assured her that she would tell Edward the truth about all the years of communication between him and Janice she was unable to keep her word. Like Janice she began to see how Edward may consider it a deception and feared that it would alter his feelings for her. When Yvonne asked Janice to continue to keep her secret she found there was no way for her to refuse without confessing to the truth of her own feelings; she saw no choice but to agree.

*****

The first few weeks that followed were tough but Janice gradually came to accept the fact that Yvonne and Edward were together now. She tried to find love or at least a good pen pal, but, eventually she gave up on trying to find a substitute for Edward; what they had shared, they had taken over a decade to build and it wouldn't just happen overnight with a new person. Run out of all other options she chose to immerse herself in the only thing left now, her work.

Janice directed all her passion into her work and it paid off. Before her year was up she received an offer for her to complete her internship program at one of the global leaders in architecture firms. This was the company in Philadelphia she had mentioned to Yvonne on several occasions in the past. She had thought it would take several years before she could get her foot in their door so she was thrilled and upset with the timing of it all.

She knew she had the option of staying in France and completing all three years of her internship at the firm she currently worked at. But it wasn't what she wanted. Janice felt she would be acting foolishly to pass up working at the company of her dreams over something, she didn't even know what to call her thing with Edward, which never was and never could be.

*****

"Oh-my-god!" screeched Yvonne in the phone when she heard the news from Janice. "This. Is. Incredible!"

"I know. I can't believe they made me an offer." said Janice.

"Oh yeah, that's great too. I'm just excited that you're coming here."

"Yes, that'll be nice." said Janice sincerely. She did not need Yvonne for emotional support in the same way Yvonne needed her but she was practically her sister and her best friend. She had missed hanging out with Yvonne and doing the crazy things she allowed herself to only do in her company.

"I thought I was gonna be the one delivering the good news today but yours got mine beat."

"Really? What was your news?"

"No biggie. Just that I'm moving."

"You are? When did this happen? I thought you were doing really well there."

"Well, I'll have to move out of here if I'm gonna move in with Eddie, won't I?

"You're moving in?!"

"Yes! Eddie asked me to move in. We've been dating each other exclusively for a while now and I'm over at his place so much that he asked me to move in."

Janice sat down as she processed this new piece of information. "That is big news."

"I'm a big girl now, Jan."

Janice knew that moving in was a huge deal for Yvonne who had never lived with anyone other than her parents or Janice till date. She had never even lived with a roommate let alone a boyfriend.

"So when're you moving in?"

"Next month, most likely. Work is crazy right now. I'm always busy. It's one of the reasons why living together felt like a good idea; it's been really tough trying to make time for Eddie." she explained. "So, when do you get here?"

"Another six weeks or so. I'm going to have to settle on an apartment for when I get there."

"Why don't you move in here?"

"Your apartment?"

"Yes. I just renewed my lease two months ago so you could move in here."

"I doubt I could afford to pay the kind of rent you do though. I'm just an intern you know."

"Yeah but you'd save on the security deposit and you won't have to spend any money on buying new stuff for the place because I won't be taking anything other than my personal items."

"Hmmm... That does sound good."

"Plus, this way you'll be holding my place for me in case things don't work out."

"Why do I suspect that's your primary motive here?"

"Because you know me?"

Janice couldn't help but chuckle. "Okay. I'll hold your place till your lease runs out and then I'm moving into something more suitable to my modest budget."

"Fantastic."

"I've gotta get back to work, Yves. Congrats on your big news."

"You too Jan. Bye."

Despite the jokes it was clear to Janice that her friend was deeply in love with Edward for her to even consider moving in with him.

Yves and Eddie living together! Janice was glad she had over a month to digest that piece of news.

*****

Janice exited the airport and looked around for any sign of Yvonne. It took her two minutes to spot the leggy blonde bombshell in the crowd of people. Yvonne was waving like a crazy person and running towards her.

"Jan, you're here!" she said, grabbing and hugging her. "Gosh! You look spectacular. Love the bangs."

Part of the changes that Janice went through while abroad had included a new hair style. For years she had shown a preference for shorter pixie styled cuts while now her dark hair cascaded down her back with long bangs in front that served to accent her large hazel eyes making her appear less like a kid and more like a sultry young woman.

"Thanks." said Janice as she was whisked off to the car park along with her trolley of bags. They got into Yvonne's car and drove to Yvonne's old apartment.

Throughout the way Yvonne kept telling Janice how good it was to see her and how much she'd missed her. Janice was content with watching the road ahead and listening to Yvonne talk. For her, there was something comforting in the familiarity of listening to Yvonne excitedly ramble on while she sat quietly beside her. Soon enough they were at Yvonne's old and Janice's new place of residence.

The terrace apartment was on the sixth floor. For Janice the best feature of the place was the little terrace garden. It was a small space with one diagonal half littered by pots and the one half had a garden bench and a couple of chairs around a coffee table. The whole space was sheltered by loosely draped overhead sails that added a touch of whimsy to the space. Janice was thrilled to see that the plants were not all dead during Yvonne's absence.

"This place is really great Yves. I can't thank you enough."

"Hey, like I said earlier, you're doing me a favour by holding it for me."

"Speaking of... how are things with Eddie?"

"How? Well, we've been living together for a month now so things are no longer new and exciting but they're nice. I mean, I think it's nice. I'm just so busy with my work most times he's free. And I really don't get much about Eddie's work so at the end of the day when I get home I don't really enjoy talking about all those things... But the sex is good He's very-"

"Okay. TMI."

"Gosh! A year in France and you're still a prude. I thought you'd come home and teach me a trick or two."

"I could teach you a trick or two... about architectural design."

"Design me an erection I could mount and then let's talk."

"I don't think you could handle any erection I would design- as it would be monumental!"

Both women burst out laughing knowing exactly how cheesy each of them had sounded.

"I think Eddie's going to ask me to marry him."

"What!" Janice felt like the wind had been knocked out of her and sat down.

"Yeah. You know when he asked me to move in I thought he was actually going to ask me to marry him."

"Huh?"

"Around two months ago I found an engagement ring in one of his drawers. It looked like a recent purchase- not one of those heirloom pieces."

"So, what did you do?"

"Nothing; I thought I'd wait for him to ask."

"So, did he?"

"D'uh! Don't you think I would've called you as soon as he did?"

"Yeah. Dumb question. Sorry."

"I guess he's waiting for the right moment or something."

"Probably." Janice spoke absentmindedly as she closed her eyes trying to control the tailspin she felt her mind going through.

"Oh you poor thing!" cried Yvonne, "You must be exhausted and here I am yammering on. You rest now. We'll meet tomorrow for a proper catch-up. Eddie came by yesterday and stocked the kitchen with some basic groceries so you won't need to worry about that for at least a couple of days. You'll find some menus in the kitchen so you can call for dinner."

Janice was touched. "That was really thoughtful of you. Thank you."

"Actually it was Eddie's idea." Yvonne explained before giving Janice a quick hug, "It's good to have you back Jan. See you tomorrow. Bye."

"Bye Yves."

After Yvonne left Janice spend some time just standing under the hot shower. She didn't bother with dinner instead she wrapped herself in a comfy robe and dived into her bed. She hoped that sleep would take care of the ache in her limbs as well as her heart.

*****

The next morning Yvonne arrived with breakfast on her way to work. She sat with Janice talking while she finished her coffee.

"So, I'll come by around six thirty to pick you up." said Yvonne getting up to leave. She and Edward were taking Janice to their favourite restaurant as a way of welcoming her to the city.

"Are you sure it's not a bother? Just give me the address of the place and I'll meet you there."

"No, you're on my way. Just don't keep me waiting."

"Okay. I'll be down and waiting for you."

Janice wasn't comfortable with the prospect of meeting Edward so soon, but she was aware this wasn't something she could put off indefinitely while he was living with her best friend in the same city. She thought it best to just get it done and over with as soon as possible.

*****

Sometime after lunch Janice got a call from Yvonne on the home phone.

"What's wrong with your cell phone?" Yvonne sounded annoyed.

"Nothing. I just haven't gotten around to getting a local number yet."

"Oh. Okay. So, I was calling to say that I'm sorry but I can't pick you up for dinner."

"No?" asked Janice trying not to sound relieved, "That's okay. We can do this another time soon"

"I'm not cancelling. I just can't pick you up to take you the restaurant. I've got to meet with a client that'll take me to the other side of the city, so I'll see you straight at the restaurant instead."

"Oh. Okay."

"I'll text you directions. I mean, grab a pen and paper and I'll give them to you."

Janice noted down the address.

"So we'll see you there at seven." said Yvonne before hanging up.

*****

"What's going on with you, Ed? Everything okay?" Dara O'Brien was worried about his colleague Edward Dupont. They had just finished a meeting with their senior VP where Edward appeared flustered when questioned by the VP. Recently it looked like Edward's focus was always scattered. He had even overheard a couple of analysts complain that Edward was unable to offer them the guidance they needed to do their job. He knew it wouldn't be long before Edward got into serious trouble at this rate.

"Oh no. Everything is fine." Edward knew where his friend's concerned stemmed from. He himself was wondering why everything felt like more of a struggle. Maybe I'm just losing my edge. He thought to himself.

"How's that girlfriend of yours? Is she treating you good?" asked Dara while crudely mimicking the act of fellatio with his hand and mouth.

Edward snickered. "Is that the only reason why a man may be off his game?"

"It's not the only reason but it's the only acceptable one in my book."

"We live together now."

"Oh yeah? How's that workin' out for you?"

"Different than I'd imagined..."

"Is that good or bad?"

"Just different. That's all."

"Huh? Okay, whatever. Wanna go grab some drinks before heading home?"

"I can't, I'm meeting Yvonne and a friend for dinner at seven."

"Where are you guys going?"

"To The Mayflower Kitchen."

"You've still got time and there's a Flannigan's just next door to it. You can have a drink."

They left their cars n the office car park and walked to the bar that was only a couple of blocks away from their office. Dara ordered a pitcher for himself and settled in a booth beside one of the street facing windows.

Edward sipped on his beer slowly while Dara gulped his down. They were both associates at the same firm but shared little in common outside of work. They were friends mostly because they could stand each other better than they could the rest of their colleagues. They would get together some time to drink or watch a game but that was the extent of their friendship.

"Check out this li'l hottie."

Edward followed Dara's gaze outside the window and noticed a dark haired woman on the pavement outside, pacing back and forth. She wore a simple high waisted red lace dress- short enough to show off her toned legs but long enough to keep it classy. Her dark hair fell half way down her back. They were unable to see her face but she had the kind of presence that made you wish she would turn just so you'd catch a glimpse of it. She kept looking at her watch and then at the street. It was obvious she was waiting for someone.

"Look at that ass. Doesn't it just make you want to just reach out and squeeze?" asked Dara gesturing with his hand

Edward didn't look. "You enjoy the view; I'm a spoken for, remember."

"Man did anyone tell you that you're no fun since you got a girlfriend?"

"You never knew me before I had a girlfriend." Edward replied, laughing.

"She's been out there for close to twenty minutes," Dara stood up abruptly, "If the front is half as good as the back I'm taking her out right now." said Dara.

"She looks like she's waiting for someone."

"So?" Dara asked, pushing his reddish brown hair away from his forehead and giving him a smug look. "Women can never resist me." He stated and walked out of the bar. As Edward watched him approach the mystery woman he had to admit to himself that Dara was an attractive man who knew how to charm women. And as annoying as he found his bragging the fact remained that he had yet to watch Dara fail.

*****

Dara bumped into the woman from behind making her lose her balance and drop her purse. She steadied herself and glared angrily.

"Watch where you walk!"

Even though she looked mad at him Dara thought the woman looked absolutely adorable with her wide hazel eyes and bow shaped mouth. He was sure that she had mustered her meanest look but it was no more terrifying than a baby's smile would be. He bent down, picked her purse and handed it to her.

"I'm so sorry. I was looking at my phone and didn't see you there." When she didn't respond he put out his hand. "Hi, I'm Dara O'Brien."

The woman nodded but didn't say anything. She turned her attention back to her watch and then the street.

"So, you look like you're waiting for someone."

"Yes. I'm waiting for a few of my friends."

"Looks like they're not coming."

She gave him a puzzled look. "How would you know?"

"I've been watching you standing out here for a while."

"And yet you couldn't see me a minute ago?" she asked sarcastically and then looked away.

"I'm sorry I couldn't think of a better way to approach you."

"Hello usually works fine with me."

"Okay then," Dara stepped away from her and then turned around and walked toward her with his hand extended forward. "Hello! I'm Dara O'Brien."

"And I'm still not interested."

"What?! You haven't even heard what I'm offering yet."

"Okay, what are you offering?"

"The pleasure of my company." He said with a shit-eating grin on his face. When all he got was a roll of the eyes he changed his strategy. "Look, me and my friend are in there having drinks. Instead of standing out here alone you could join us while you wait. And if your friends don't turn up and you think you don't hate my company you can grab dinner with me instead."

*****

Edward saw that it was almost time for Yvonne and Janice to arrive. Dara looked like he was making progress with the woman outside because they appeared to be deep in conversation. He thought he may as well head to the restaurant. He paid the bill and walked out of the bar.

Outside, the woman looked towards the bar, then her watch and the street before she made up her mind. "Okay. Lead the way."

Dara turned to head into the bar and saw Edward walk out instead.

"You leaving? We were just coming in."

"Eddie?"

Edward looked at the woman standing behind Dara. He was certain that he had never seen her before and yet her face was awfully familiar. Of course there were only two women who had ever called him Eddie.

"No!" said Edward as realisation sank in.

Her smile grew wider and she nodded as she watched him recognize her.

"Oh my god Jan, you're all grown up."

She blushed and smiled at him. Janice felt like her heart was beating so fast. Of course she had seen pictures of him over the years but pictures were one thing and seeing him in person was another. She was fighting every instinct within her to fling herself at him and wrap her arms around him like she used to when they were kids.

Edward felt like hugging his old friend. But she was a grown woman now and they hadn't kept in touch all these years. He wasn't sure how appropriate she would find it. So instead he grabbed her hand and shook it vigorously.

"Oh my god. I can't believe it's you. Weren't you supposed to be coming with Yvonne?"

"Yes. There was a change in plans. Yvonne asked me to come here are seven."

"It's just six forty-five."

"Is it? I must've not set the time correctly..." she said fiddling with the hands of her wristwatch. "I was out for so long thinking maybe you guys weren't coming."

"You two can continue your happy reunion; please don't mind me here." Dara spoke with faked outrage.

"Dara, this is my friend Janice Walker. She's the friend I was supposed to be meeting for dinner."

"Well, hello Janice! Looks like your friend showed up after all. We'll have to do dinner another time."

"Yeah. Looks that way." she replied.

"So why don't you give me your digits and we'll make this happen."

"Sure." said Janice casually and then wrote down a number on a piece of paper and handed to him. "Bye now." She looked at Edward, "Shall we go in?"

Edward was a bit taken aback to watch Janice so casually give her number to someone she just met. He made a mental note to have a talk with her later to warn her about Dara's philandering ways. He smiled to himself- something about Janice had always brought out the protective instinct in him. For him, she was always the baby of their little group.

"Yeah, sure." He said and held out his arm for her. "Bye Dara. See you tomorrow."

"You too Ed. And Janice you best keep yourself free this weekend." said Dara before walking away.

Edward and Janice headed inside The Mayflower Kitchen and sat at the bar while they waited for Yvonne to show up. Edward observed Janice as she ordered herself a drink.

"You look the same."

"You think I still look like an awkward little thirteen year old girl?" Janice asked leaning closer to him. Her face was serious but her tone was not.

Edward watched her- there was none of the awkwardness of her younger days and she had certainly grown up physically he noted as his eyes swept over her curves. He felt embarrassed and ran his fingers through his hair, smiling sheepishly. "Not exactly."

12