More than Friends: Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well you look kinda the same too, Eddie." she said smiling.

"It's so nice to hear you call me Eddie again after all these years. You were the first person to ever call me that. And then Yves caught on just from listening to you."

"Yeah and then some of those boys in the neighbourhood would tease you, calling you Eggy because of it."

"I didn't mind them. They were idiots." He looked at his watch and then pulled out his phone. "So, what did Yvonne say- is she coming?"

"She just asked to meet here directly as she had to go see a client first."

"Okay. I'll make a quick call to see why she isn't here yet."

Edward stepped away from the bar to call Yvonne and returned in a few minutes.

"She's asked us to start without her as she's running late. But she should be in time for dessert."

"We could leave if you like and do this another time."

"I don't see why. We're here and we have loads of catching up to do. Mind you, I may end up doing all the talking because thanks to Yvonne I was kept updated on most of the stuff you were doing over the years."

Janice didn't respond instead she just smiled and followed him. "Sure Eddie. I'd love to hear all you've been up to." Especially this last year, she said to herself.

Edward let the Maitre De know that they were ready to be seated and left instructions for Yvonne to be shown to their table when she did eventually arrive.

They quickly glanced at the menus and ordered the specials- more interested in the person they were with rather than the food. They started off talking about their childhood and then work. Edward was surprised at how easy it was to talk to Janice. Because of Yvonne's letters, he felt like he already knew her even though he was meeting her after years.

Initially he was surprised by how much she appeared to know about him but then it struck him that it was only natural for Yvonne to have shared with Janice about Edward the way she did with him about Janice. Another thought struck him- something that had bothered him for a while. He thought now was as good a time as any to ask her.

"I have to ask you something."

She heard the change in his tone which was more serious now.

"What is it, Eddie?"

"Why didn't you ever keep in touch?"

He hadn't meant it as an accusation but that was how it came out anyway. Janice took a deep calming breath before speaking.

"I could ask you the same question."

It struck Edward for the first time that the he had been remiss too.

"It's okay." Janice said, "I get it. You've always had a crush on Yvonne."

He was sure she couldn't have meant it as an accusation but that was how it sounded nonetheless.

"Hello! I was worried that you may have left."

Edward and Janice snapped their heads in the direction of Yvonne's voice. They had been so busy talking they had lost track of time. Both looked in astonishment at their plates and saw that only their dessert sat there untouched.

"Come on kids. It's closing time here. Let's go next door and get sloshed." Yvonne spoke pulling on Janice's arm. She dragged her to Flannigan's while Edward settled the bill and followed. By the time he reached the bar the women looked like they'd already downed a couple of shots.

"Come on Eddie. Get in here." Yvonne told Edward handing him a shot glass.

"I'll pass. I was in here earlier with Dara. You and Janice knock yourselves out."

"Pffft. Did anyone tell you you're no fun since you got a girlfriend?"

"Just today." He watched Yvonne's brow arch. "Dara thought I was no fun for not wanting to squeeze Janice's ass."

Since Yvonne was seated between the two and the place was noisy Janice was unable to hear what he said.

Yvonne snickered. "When did he meet her?"

"We were here earlier. He spotted her when she arrived and immediately made his move."

"Hmmm. Interesting." She turned to Janice, "Enough drinking. It's time to dance now." She jumped off the barstool and began swaying.

"Nooo." Janice sat and watched Yvonne dance seductively oblivious to all the eyes in the room checking her out.

Yvonne pointed her finger at Edward and crooked it motioning that he come towards her. When he just smiled and looked away she pulled Janice to the floor. Janice could barely stand up she was woozy and disoriented.

"Thank God! The room's stopped spinning." she exclaimed loudly to the person supporting her.

"Yvonne I think it's time to leave." Edward had him arm around Janice supporting her but it didn't look like she was aware of it.

Begrudgingly Yvonne agreed. Edward walked with Janice and gently let her into the backseat of Yvonne car. He took the keys from Yvonne before getting into the driver's seat.

Janice had a vague idea that they were moving but she was too sleepy to open her eyes and since she was in the company of people she trusted, not too worried to bother trying.

*****

"Hey sleepy head, time to wake up."

Janice heard Edward saying. She opened her eyes and saw that they were halted outside the garage way of a house. She rubbed her eyes and looked around.

"Where are we?"

"Home." said Yvonne.

Watching the confusion on Janice's face Edward supplied, "Our home. Yvonne thought it best to bring you here."

Janice blinked and looked at her confused.

"I thought it would be fun for us to have a sleepover like we did when we were kids." said Yvonne while getting out of the car and shakily making her way towards the doorway.

Edward came around and held the door open for Janice. She smiled and took a step to follow Yvonne but wobbled and would've gone down if not for Edward sliding his arm around her waist to steady her. Janice accepted that she was drunk.

"Thank you. I'm so embarrassed." Her words came out slurred- at least that was how she heard them. She held on to Edward with both hands but still couldn't seem to steady herself.

"We've all been there some time." Edward said to her before casually picking her up in his arms like one would a child and followed Yvonne into the house.

Yvonne watched the two and snorted, "You just carried her over the threshold. Why don't you ever carry me around like that?"

It was obvious that Yvonne was joking but Janice couldn't differentiate in her drunken state and started to struggle to get down forcing Edward to hold her tighter against him lest she fall.

"Shushhhh." He said to her in a gentle soothing voice. "We're almost there."

Janice felt small and safe in his arms. She closed her eyes and inhaled his scent.

Edward kicked open the bedroom door and put Janice down in the middle of the bed. He pulled the covers open and tucked her inside. He gently pushed her hair back away from her face and got up to leave.

"Thank you," she said without opening her eyes as she turned to curl up on her side. In this position she looked small and meek to him, just the way he remembered her.

"Goodnight Janice. We'll see you tomorrow." Edward

"The guest bathroom is to the right of the hallway. We're in the bedroom upstairs should you need anything." Yvonne hugged her over the covers. "G'night"

Janice was already fast asleep when Yvonne and Edward left the room shutting the door behind them. They went up to their room quietly undressed and fell asleep as soon as they hit the bed.

*****

Janice woke up early next morning with a pounding headache. She had no idea where she was or how she got there. She dragged herself out of the bedroom and looked for clues to her location. Pictures hung along the hallway helped her conclude that she was in Edward and Yvonne's house.

She looked around and managed to find the bathroom. She desperately wanted to shower and change but she didn't have any clothes to change into. She realised she would just have to wait till Yvonne woke up for that.

She went to the kitchen and decided to make some breakfast for everyone while she waited for them to wake up.

*****

Edward was the first to wake up. His day started earlier than Yvonne's so he usually let her sleep in. He showered and changed before heading downstairs to the kitchen. The sound of sizzling bacon reminded him of his house guest and made him regret not coming down sooner.

"Good morning."

"Hi there," said Janice while continuing to work.

"How can I help?"

She looked up at him and smiled. "I'm pretty much done here but you could help me with something else."

"Yeah?"

"I desperately need a shower," she crinkled her nose. "I need some clothes to change into. I was hoping Yvonne would be up so I could borrow hers."

"Yvonne is never up this early- at least another hour for her. But, lemme grab you something of hers to wear. Any preference?"

"I don't care as long as it fits."

Edward laughed and ran up to the bedroom. He looked through Yvonne's stuff and saw it would be useless and Yvonne was much taller than Janice. He picked up a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. He didn't know much about bra and panty sizing so he rifled through Yvonne's drawers looking for anything that was new and unused.

"Here you go." He said handing her the clothes. "Why don't you shower and change and I'll clean up the rest till you're done."

"Thank you. I'll be back in no time."

"Take your time."

Edward watched her practically hop away to the bathroom. He shook his head and smiled as he thought about how grateful she appeared for what he'd given her instead of being upset at their thoughtlessness.

Janice had a bath and felt like a new person. Her head no longer hurt and her stomach growled hungrily. She tried the clothes Edward had given her but they were a misfit. She didn't bother even trying the bra as she knew the cups would too small for her. Yvonne and Janice had shared lots of things over the years but clothes had never been one of those things, she remembered. She didn't see any choice but to change back into what she was wearing earlier.

She returned to find that Edward had cleaned up in the kitchen as well as set the table.

"What happened?" he asked noticing that she was wearing the same clothes as earlier.

"They didn't fit."

"Not even the t-shirt?"

She shook her head rather than explaining how she couldn't have stepped out in just a t-shirt.

"Sorry. I really haven't figured out the whole sizing thing with women. I'm sure Yvonne will find you something when she wakes up."

"Don't worry. I'll just change when I get home in some time."

As they sat down for breakfast Edward suddenly remembered that he was supposed to talk to her about something important.

"Janice I know you probably find Dara very attractive but I have to tell you-"

She put down the fork that was midway to her mouth. "What are you talking about?"

"Your date, with Dara..." he saw the puzzled look on her face and continued, "my colleague from office who you gave your number to?"

"Oh him... I didn't give him my number."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't even have a local number yet."

It was Edward's turn to be confused.

"I gave him a fake number."

He burst out laughing. "What I'd give to watch Dara's face when he realises that..."

"I'm not the first person to use this strategy."

"No, but definitely the first for Dara."

Janice shrugged her shoulders. "Had to happen sometime, right?"

Yvonne came down to breakfast wearing a tank and shorts. "Good morning, my lovelies." She said and settled in the chair next to Janice. She grabbed a piece of toast and a few strips of bacon from Janice's plate and proceeded to eat.

"So, what was all that laughing about?" she asked between bites.

"Remember I told you yesterday about how Dara was hounding Janice as soon as she spotted her?"

"Right."

"Turns out she gave him a fake number. Only he doesn't know that, yet." He chuckled.

"Why?" Yvonne asked Jan. "Looks like I'm going to have to take charge of your love life."

"What's that supposed to mean?" asked Janice.

"Just that you can't keep pushing away great guys all the time, Jan." Yvonne didn't want to make Janice uncomfortable by pursuing the topic now but she decided to fix Janice up with Dara. After all, Dara was sexy, smart and had been friends with Edward ever since he moved here- he would be just the kind of guy who could help Janice loosen up and have some fun.

Over the years Yvonne had watched her friends socially cut herself off from those around her. She never dated unless Yvonne forced her to and in all the years she didn't have a single boyfriend even though she was quite attractive. She loved Janice like a sister and wanted her to also find happiness with someone the way she had unexpectedly found it with Edward.

"Alrightey. It's time for me to get ready for work. What are your plans for the day?" Edward looked at both the women for their answers.

"I'll be leaving for work within the next hour. Janice can stay here till we get back and then we can have a home cooked dinner so she can throw caution to the wind and get wasted properly tonight."

"Yvonne I think I need to return to my apartment. I have to unpack and settle -"

"Jan, you're not starting work for another week. So I don't see why you gotta get all this stuff done today."

"Yes, but I need to -"

"I'm meeting you after almost a year. I missed you. Don't you wanna spend some time with me?"

Before Janice could respond, Edward intervened, "Yves- baby, in case you haven't noticed she's still wearing the same clothes as yesterday. She needs to go home to change, if nothing else." When he heard no objection from his girlfriend he continued. "Give her a few days to settle in and acquaint herself with the place... She lives in the same city now, no need to hold her hostage."

Yvonne looked at her boyfriend and knew he was talking sense. "You, mister, are the perfect boyfriend." She turned to Janice. "Alright my butterfly, take flight but please come stay with us this weekend. I know once work starts you'll have no time."

Janice flashed a broad smile. "Sure"

*****

A short while later, Janice was sitting besides Edward in a cab headed towards her apartment. They had agreed that he would drop her off on his way to work.

"Thank you," she said quietly while sitting as far away from him as possible.

"No problem," he said, "Yvonne likes to get her way. Sometimes she forgets to think about the other person."

Janice was well aware of how self-involved Yvonne could get, especially around her- she had years of experience dealing with it- but she didn't know how appropriate it would for her to say so to Yvonne's boyfriend.

"So, you and Yvonne- you know she's never lived with anyone but me and her parents."

"Yeah, moving in was a big deal for both of us."

"And a year ago you two had never even met. This love story may not have even happened if not for you co-incidentally moving here."

"Janice," The changed tone alerted her that he was about to say something important. She turned in her seat to face him, "my moving here was no coincidence."

"What do you mean?"

"I worked my ass off... I've been working my ass off for years trying to find a way to be in the same city as Yvonne. I realised long ago that I wanted to be more than just friends."

Janice was glad she was seated as she felt like someone knocked the wind out of her.

"You did?"

"Yes, but I didn't want to have to put her through the stress of a long distance relationship. When I moved here I had already picked out the ring."

Janice struggled to draw in breaths as the implication of what he just said hit her. Everything around her appeared to be blurry and she could feel this tightening in her chest like a vise closing in. She wanted to open the door and jump out as she gasped for air. Fortunately the cab halted in front of her apartment building just as she was rolling down the windows.

"Your apartment's here." Edward said nodding towards the building they had stopped in front of. "You have a great day. See you soon."

Edward watched Janice practically run out of the cab and into the building. He wondered about her odd behaviour but attributed it to her need for a fresh change of clothes.

*****

Janice stumbled out of the cab and raced to the elevator. Everything around her was blurry as she fought to hold back the tears. By the time she reached her apartment the battle was lost and she was reduced to a teary mess.

He wanted more. He came here with a ring.

She spent some time crying and feeling miserable even though she knew it couldn't change anything as Yvonne and Edward were together now. She reminded herself Edward had always had a crush on Yvonne and he would most likely not have felt the same way if he had known it was her. She would just have to find a way to move on with her life.

She showered and changed. Feeling like a new woman she called the airline company to see if they were any cheap flights to Syracuse that same day or the next morning. She had planned on visiting her father during the holidays or asking him to visit her after she had settled in but she needed to get away right now and there was nowhere else for her to go. She boarded a flight the same evening hoping that going back to where it all began would help her get a handle on her emotions before it was time to return.

*****

Dear Readers,

Thank you for your encouraging comments thus far. I hope this chapter didn't disappoint. Please vote and if possible comment on what you did or didn't like.

Subdued_Passion.

12