More Than Just a Fairy Tale Ch. 21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers

Buster had somehow lost track of the family prior to her birth or that of any of her siblings as none were listed. She'd been going through the other boxes first. Lots of pictures, a uniform with more ribbons than tunic and lots of memorabilia. There was also a picture of a young woman with a baby on her hip wearing Roaring Twenties style clothing. The writing on the back was smeared, but Ginny could make out" ta l e n J n"She was looking at a picture of her great-great grandmother and her great grandmother.

Patrick came to check on Ginny and Meg and found Ginny surrounded by photos. She had a small leather bound book clutched in one hand.

"Ginny?" he said softly. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes. You didn't lie," she said.

"What? What do you mean?" Patrick asked.

"Today, you told that crowd that it was a family funeral, and that I was related to Brian. You were right," Ginny said quietly.

"I... How?" asked Patrick.

The noise had woken Meg up who stretched and yawned. "Yeah, how Ginny?" she asked.

"This is his diary. Up until about 1950. It shows his family and it shows a woman named Margaret who's married to Jonathan being born in 1948. That's my mom and dad," said Ginny.

"But that could be anyone," said Patrick.

"Yes, but my grandparents were Elizabeth and David. That's why Bitty is Elizabeth," said Ginny. Then she handed the diary with the names and dates to Patrick.

"Oh wow," said Patrick.

"There are other things too. Some of these pictures I remember. My mom and grandma had copies," said Ginny.

Patrick didn't know what to say except to walk around and hug Ginny.

They gathered up all of the photographs, and repacked the boxes. Ginny held onto the diary. She wanted to finish reading it.

"Let's go get something to eat," said Patrick.

"Okay. I totally spaced lunch. Plus I want to hear about your trip out with 'Buster'," said Ginny.

"So do I," said Meg.

The three of them locked the door and went to find Sam.

*

Over dinner everyone talked about Ginny's find. Since they were in the dining room, George had shifted back and joined them.

"You should have seen them at the Dog Bar. Those two paramedics had them convinced that 'Buster' was dead and gone. So when he showed up for pizza, they just about shit," said George. "It's good pizza too."

That made everyone laugh.

"So, if Brian is Ginny's great-great grandfather, that makes him Luc's and George's great-great uncle or something like that," said Meg.

"Yes. Jenny had a couple of sisters and brothers and one of her sisters ran off with an uncle of Luc's," said Ginny.

"You know, if'n I didn't know better, I'd a thunk I was in the twilight zone," said Sam.

"Dee dee Dee dee," sang Patrick who then smiled at Sam.

Sam smiled. She was glad that they were here to help her. It didn't take away the pain, but it certainly helped to ease it.

"I talked to Doc Roger's friend who's the pastor of the local chapel and he said we could hold a service there tomorrow if we were up to it, or day after. I called the funeral home and they said everything would be ready by 10am tomorrow," said Patrick.

"We are doing two remembrances aren't we?" asked Luc.

"Of course. Just need to get the public one done first," said Ginny. "Besides, George is going to have to be 'Buster' for the first too."

"Yes, and I'd really like to render tribute if I could," said George.

Everyone nodded.

"What do you mean by two services?" asked Sam.

"First one is for people. Second is for shifters and family," said Luc.

"Oh," said Sam.

"You'd be welcome at both, because you were his family for so long," said Patrick.

"Well, but I..." stammered Sam.

"Sam, if you weren't at the first, he'd come back to haunt you!" said Ginny only partially teasing.

"Fine. Just tell me what's expected," said Sam.

They discussed plans while they ate.

*

Donald and James from the funeral home brought the urn with Brian's remains to the B&B the next morning at 10am. Sam invited them to the service at 2pm, and they said that they'd try to be there. She thanked them again and asked if there was any charge as money had been left for cremation.

"Ma'am, I knew Buster and I'd feel bad to charge for his cremation. There was hardly anything left of him. Give the money to a charity or something," Donald said.

"Are you sure?" asked Sam.

"Yes. We talked about it. Plus, with all the hassle those idiots are causing you, I couldn't bear to charge you," Donald said.

"All right, but if I find out you shorted yourselves, I'll be after you," she said.

"Don't worry Sam," said James as they walked off. What Sam didn't know is that Luc had paid for the cremation on the condition that James and Donald never say anything about it.

Sam waved them off and locked the door. Then she went to lay down until an hour before the first service.

*

The service was a typical non-denominational funeral. Ginny had hung up his WWI uniform on a hanger and put out pictures of the family on the altar. 'Buster' sat at the back, and howled a time or two until patted by Patrick.

Outside, the paramedics were still trying to raise a stink, but it wasn't working out so well. Especially as 'Buster' came out of the chapel and growled at them as the family followed behind. Luc and Patrick took point and made sure that no one bothered any of the women, who hovered around Sam and protected her from reporters, and curious people in general.

At the door of the B&B, Luc stood outside until everyone was in. Then he waited, as he knew the crowd would try and interrupt things.

"I don't know what your problem is, but it is time to leave us alone. Sam has a business to run and my cousins and I need time to grieve. I suggest you all go home and watch TV if you want to see supernatural beings," said Luc.

"I still say you're hiding something!" said the arrogant man from the day before.

"You really should think before you open your mouth. If Brian was a werewolf and we're all related to him, shouldn't you be afraid?" said Luc.

The man stammered and then turned and walked off in a huff.

"I guess one werewolf was okay, especially if he was an old man, but the idea of a hotel full of them was just too improbable," said Patrick.

The two men laughed and went in to join the rest.

*

Late that night, Patrick checked around before the family exited the B&B. All of them were dressed in dark clothes. Ginny walked with Sam, while Patrick and Luc guided Meg and Angie. Shifter night vision made flashlights unnecessary. George in the guise of 'Buster' followed behind, keeping a nose out for anything unusual. After about a mile, the forest behind the B&B opened up into a meadow. George loped around the meadow, came back and shook his head at Luc. Then he nosed a pack from Angie and disappeared for a few minutes. He came back dressed in jeans and a shirt and stood with Angie.

Ginny set the urn down in the middle of the meadow. She had the picture of Brian with his wife Natalie and propped it in front. Luc got out the glasses and the bottle of Canadian Whiskey he'd bought in town. He stepped up next to Ginny.

"We gather under the moon, in the woods and beneath open skies to honor a man who thought himself forgotten. Brian Davy had seen a lot in his life. He survived wars, and difficult times. He knew love and family. Some of that family is here tonight. Family by blood and family by choice," Luc said. He opened the whiskey and poured a shot into everyone's glass. When that was done, he set down the bottle.

"To Buster, my great-great uncle whom I knew as Buster," Luc said and took a sip of the whiskey.

"I didn't know the man, but heard of him through my cousin and her mate. I've slept in his house, and spent time with his family of choice, Sam. To Buster, my great-great uncle," said George who then took a sip.

"I knew him as Buster. He kept my mate company while I was busy and we took many a walk and run under the moon. He was a good person and I will miss him," said Patrick and he sipped his whiskey.

"To Buster," said Angie who sipped her whiskey.

"To Buster, great-great uncle to my mate," said Meg who took a sip of whiskey.

"I first knew him as Buster. He'd sit on my bed while I recovered from a concussion. He kept my mate company on runs in the forest. After he passed, I learned that he was my great-great grandfather and his name was Brian Davy. He was a good man who went to war and used his abilities to keep his buddies safe behind enemy lines. The love of his life was Natalie. They had five children together. I'm still learning about him. For whatever reason, he lost track of his family, or his family lost track of him. He came to the mountains to die, but instead found a new family. He passed with family around him. To my great-great grandfather Brian," said Ginny. She took a sip of her whiskey and turned to Sam.

"I...um... I met Brian years ago, when he came here thinking he was going to die. Instead, I gained a friend and companion. In my way, I loved him as family. As he wanted, I called him by his nickname, Buster. I will miss him," said Sam with tears streaming down her face. She took a shot of whiskey.

"To Buster," they all said and finished off their whiskey. Then, as each one shifted just a bit, a chorus of howls began to fill the night air. Angie, Meg and Sam listened to the sing-song vocals, Ginny was higher pitched, while George made the ground rumble or so it seemed. After a couple of minutes, it slowly died down. Off in the far distance, two more howls cascaded across the hills. Then there was silence.

Ginny picked up the urn, opened the top and stood off to one side and slowly poured the contents out. The breeze caught the ashes and tumbled them across the meadow. When two thirds of it was gone, she put the top back on and gave it back to Patrick to put in the pack.

Luc took the whiskey and after raising it to the sky, he poured a libation out on the earth. Then he capped the whiskey and put it in the pack as well.

"Let's go home," Luc said.

"Luc, who were the other two howls we heard," asked Sam.

"Donald and James most likely," said Luc.

Sam blinked. "Oh," as it dawned on her. "I didn't know."

"No, most times you never would. We try to keep quiet," said Luc as they walked down the mountain.

"Okay. I won't tell," said Sam.

"I know you won't. Besides, you're family," said Patrick from the other side.

They walked down into the area behind the B&B, with George as 'Buster' trailing behind. No one was around, and they got inside without incident. It was late and they all headed to bed.

Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers