Moving On

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SRound
SRound
130 Followers

I tried touching my lifeless body. My fingers passed right through. Then I tried to get inside my body. I hoped I could just slip back inside and everything would be fine. I lay down on top of myself and phased into the corpse, but nothing changed. I wasn't able to stay inside or take back control of my limbs. I desperately thrashed around, trying to cause anything to move. But nothing did. I let out a long pain filled roar and cursed the world and everyone in it. Of course nobody could hear it. You can't hear the dead. It was very clear to me what I was now.

"I'm a ghost."

I spent the next few hours in a numb daze. The crash scene was cleaned up and the authorities began to trickle away. I didn't know what to do, so I simply left with my body when the ambulance took it away. I watched as they cleaned me up and laid me out on a table. It was surreal to see. I was finally knocked out of my stupor when my parents showed up to see my body.

The pain on their faces when they confirmed it was me was something I'd never forget. They held each other and cried harder than I had ever seen. It was a while before they were in good enough condition to drive home. I followed them. I felt I needed to be with my family. When they got home, I had to watch them break the news to my little sister. The three of them broke down into tears, totally destroyed by their loss. I could barely stand to watch it.

My dad tried to be strong for the two women, but he was unable to contain his grief for long before his own tears returned. My sister secluded herself in her room alone. I spent some time with her making sure she didn't do anything stupid, but all she did was cry into her pillow. I wanted so badly to reach out to her, to tell her that everything would be ok. But she didn't hear me. My mother clung to my father all night. She alternated between begging God to give her her baby back and cursing him for being so cruel. It was all too much for me to take.

I knew they would be suffering a sleepless night, but at least they did have each other to lean on. I reluctantly left them and floated somewhere else I felt I needed to be. There was someone else who loved me that would be devastated by my death. Someone who wouldn't have anyone to share her pain.

I found Sharon at her house in much the same condition as my mom. Her roommate was doing her best to console her. Judging by the amount of used tissues around her, I figured she had known for a while already. She was talking about me to her roommate between sobs.

"I was so excited to see him after being gone for so long," she said. "and now..."

She broke down again, unable to get any more words out. I thought seeing my parents had been hard, but this broke my heart in a whole new way. I had let her down. I fought as hard as I could to stay alive. I knew how much we both wanted to be together again. But I failed. I failed to fight off the darkness, and this is what happened. The woman I loved most in my life was now hurt beyond words, and it was all my fault.

It was early the next morning by the time Sharon collapsed in her bed from exhaustion. She had finally cried herself out and had no more energy to grieve. I had listened to all her curses and pleas and tear filled questions without being able to answer back or comfort her in any way. As I watched her sleep in her bed, finally finding some peace, I swore to myself that I would find a way to make this right. Somehow, someway, I was going to ease her suffering.

*****

Attending my own funeral was a very eerie experience. All of my family and friends gathered to pay their last respects, none of them knowing that I could actually see and hear them. Tears were shed, and hugs were given all around. I had already accepted that I was a ghost, but seeing my casket being buried really hit it home that there was no going back. My life was over and there would be no miracle resurrection for me. Sharon and my parents tried to comfort each other the best they could, her and my mom both telling the other how sorry they were for their loss. The service was short and to the point. I was glad because the entire thing was far too depressing. Imagine everyone you loved extremely sad in the same place with no way to help them. When it ended, everyone began to filter away, leaving to their various homes. I left with Sharon.

I thought about going home with my family, but they had each other to lean on. Sharon was alone. Her roommate tried to comfort her when she could, but it was obvious she was getting tired of all the negativity. It made me angry that she wasn't doing more for her. At the same time, I understood her position. Sharon was creating a very depressing atmosphere in the house. She was barely eating, and she never left the house. She stayed shut up in her room alternating between crying and sleeping. It was hard to watch. All I could offer was my unseen support. I tried everything I could think of to communicate with her. Nothing I did worked. I was simply unable to interact with the physical world any longer it seemed. My role as a ghost was only to observe.

Sharon's family came over often to check on her. They encouraged her every time to get out and do something instead of moping around all day. It was two weeks before she finally left the house on her own. She went to get some fast food and came back right after. It was a short trip, but it was a start. I was proud of her for taking her first steps back into the world. One trip became two, and before long, many. She started socializing with her friends again, and she was getting back into the routine she had before my death. Most nights were still filled with tears, however.

Eventually she had to go to classes as the new fall semester began at our college. The added distraction of schoolwork helped to heal her further. Her mind was allowed to focus on things other than my absence. I attended most of her classes with her and had fun learning as she did. Sitting in on classes for free was the first real benefit I had found for being an invisible ghost. We would go to class, see her friends, get some dinner, and finish the night with homework. She was too busy to be sad most days, and her beautiful smile came out more and more. And she cried less and less. I was greatly relieved to see the girl I loved return to her normal, wonderful self.

I had learned a few things about being a ghost in the time since I died. I found that I had to actually work to maintain my form. When I first died, I remembered that I had to concentrate on my senses before they returned to me. It was still the same way. If I relaxed too much, my form began to fade away and my senses along with them. I had no idea what would happen if I let go completely, but I was too afraid to try.

Whatever happened when I eventually let myself disappear, I knew I wasn't ready for it. I was scared of the unknown for sure, but there was something else. Something I couldn't quite shake. The way I had died had been so sudden that I think I was still hoping to find a way to say goodbye. As more time passed, I was forced to acknowledge that it just wasn't possible. I was beginning to find some peace in simply knowing that my loved ones were returning to normal.

The days and weeks passed by much faster when school started up and things were looking less bleak. It was mid-October before I knew it, and Sharon's classes were starting to get harder. One Friday she had a particularly hard test that took her a lot of time to study for. She worked for it all week, and the night before she barely got any sleep. All of her hard work paid off as she did really well on the test. I floated around the room and checked everyone else's answers and confirmed that she got most of them right. When she got home, she immediately collapsed into her bed and started taking a nap. It was the weekend and she definitely needed the sleep after a tough week. With her most likely being out for a while, I decided to go see my family.

Even though I spent most of my time with Sharon, I made sure to check up on my family often. Things had calmed down at home following the funeral. My mom was still prone to weeping fits, but my dad was always around to console her. High school was doing a good job distracting my little sister just like college was for Sharon. My parents were also doing a great job talking to her about it frequently. They were doing their best to make sure she was going to pull through this tragedy alright. I was incredibly thankful for that. My little sister didn't deserve to have her life ruined because of me.

When I got to my parent's place, I found them planning out their Friday night. After some discussion, they decided to rent a couple movies on pay per view that my sister had wanted to see. They ordered a few pizzas and settled into the couch and recliners in the living room. I joined them and watched the movies. The movies were fun and entertaining. It felt just like old times. Enjoying a night in with the family at home, having some laughs. There was no crying, no depressing silences. Only smiles and jokes about the movies. It was the happiest time I had since dying. My parents went to bed soon after the movies ended. My sister was sure to stay up for a while longer, but I decided to head back to Sharon's place and see if she was awake yet.

I left home and made my way back to Sharon's. The night with my family had made me so happy that I floated high into the air and took in an amazing aerial view of the city. Being dead was a drag, but flying was pretty cool. It was a little after ten at night, so the city lights were lighting up the darkness brilliantly. The view was breathtaking, and I wished I could share it with someone. I descended when I arrived over her street. When I entered her house, I found that nobody else was there.

"Huh. Maybe she went to see her friends. That'd be good for her."

I waited for her to return home, but hours passed by with no sign of her. Soon it was well past midnight, and I was getting worried. I was going over where she could be in my head. I knew she was most likely safe, but I couldn't help worrying about her. Relief washed over me when I finally saw headlights in the window signaling the arrival of a car. A few moments passed by before I heard the front door opening. Sharon walked in dressed up in her best clothes. And she wasn't alone.

Entering the house in tow with her was a fairly tall man around our age. He had on tight jeans and wore a leather jacket over a t-shirt. His hair was brown and fell down to his shoulders. She was leading him through the door by his hand. I instantly hated him.

"Home sweet home!" she said before giggling and closing the door. It was obvious from her voice that she was drunk.

"Nice," said the unwanted guest. A man of few words apparently.

A picture of the night's events began to form in my mind. Sharon probably got a text from a friend wanting to go out and have fun on Friday night. They went to a bar or two and had a few too many drinks. One bad decision led to another and soon she was left with... this guy. Hopefully he was only her ride home.

She led him further into the living room before stopping by the couch. She soon made it perfectly clear that he was more than just her ride home. Turning to face him, she put her arms around his neck and reached up to kiss him. His hands circled around her and their make out session became frenzied. A wide range of emotions were washing over me as I witnessed their kissing, each one taking a turn at the forefront. Shock, disbelief, sadness, jealousy, anger... a lot of anger. What was she doing!? She wasn't the type of girl to hook up with a stranger.

"Take this off," she told him while pulling on his coat. She helped him slide it off and then reached for his shirt. He interrupted her effort to remove his clothes with his own effort to remove hers. He roughly relieved her of her jacket and revealed the tight red top she had on underneath. It was super sexy and one of my favorites. It didn't leave much to the imagination. He must have thought it still hid too much because he wasted no time in pulling it off of her and revealing her nice full braless tits.

"Please... stop," I muttered helplessly. My eyes were wide in disbelief. Everything tonight had been so great. My family was happy, Sharon was resting, and nobody was acting depressed. I was even starting to find some fun things to do as a ghost. But this was not fun. It was painful.

The two of them clumsily fell onto the couch as their kissing resumed. He was on top of her as his kisses started trailing down her neck and towards her breasts. He grabbed them in his hand and sucked her hard nipples into his mouth.

"Oh yes," she moaned. He stopped momentarily to take his own shirt off, but returned quickly to paying attention to her chest.

"Stop," I said again. I was stunned, unable to move as I watched this stranger ravish my girlfriend and her love it. I kept thinking that it would stop soon, but instead it continued to escalate. He pulled off her tight jeans and she removed her own panties. His pants quickly followed, leaving them both naked. I couldn't bear for it to go any further. The kissing resumed for a while as they enjoyed being close together without any clothing separating them. That wasn't enough for Sharon for long.

"Put it in," she told him.

"Oh shit, I don't have a condom," the guy said with a panicked look on his face.

"It's ok, just fuck me hard. Now. I need it." The last part was said with something halfway between a moan and a desperate plea.

As he positioned himself to enter her, all of the many emotions I had been feeling boiled down to only one. Rage. How could she do this to me? Didn't she love me? This loser did not deserve her! If I had my body I would have beat him within an inch of his life for even daring to touch her. Seeing him about to penetrate her, I exploded.

"STOP!" I yelled. My hand shot out as I shouted and made contact with a nearby lamp on a table. For the first time since I died, I actually touched a physical object. I don't know how it happened, but as my hand passed through the lamp, it moved with me and fell to the floor. The lamp crashed to the floor and shattered into a hundred pieces with a loud jarring sound. Both of the living bodies in the room jumped up in surprise at the interruption.

"What the hell!?" Sharon said.

"How did that happen?"

I was wondering that myself. I was so shocked at this new development that I almost forgot about what was making me so mad in the first place. Knocking the lamp over had definitely been my doing. And it had succeeded in stopping them from having sex. Maybe if I could knock over some more stuff they would be too scared to go on. I tried to hit a picture on the wall in the same way I had hit the lamp, but nothing happened.

"I don't know," she said. She was looking at the lamp with a puzzled expression on her face. It had made a pretty big mess on the floor, one that I was sure she would hate to clean up.

"Come on, let's just go to my room"

To my disappointment, they hurried into her bedroom and closed the door. I started to follow them, but stopped myself. The surprise of the lamp breaking had shaken me out of my daze. I knew I could try to interrupt them some more, but I suspected that I wouldn't be able to do it again. Thinking more clearly I realized that she wasn't being forced to do anything. She wanted this. My rage melted away and was replaced with a deep sadness. It felt as if I was back on the day I died when I had to witness my loved ones initial reactions. All of the progress over these last months vanished. Sure, Sharon and my family were feeling better. But I wasn't any longer.

I left the two of them alone. In fact, I left the house. I didn't feel I had a place there any longer. Sharon seemed like she was going to be ok. She didn't need me to watch over her any longer. I floated aimlessly into town and away from her house. I had no idea what to do or where to go. If nobody needed me around, why was I even bothering to stay? All I was capable of experiencing were pain and loss. It was a cruel existence.

My head was filled with deep thoughts as I wandered around the city for hours. I thought about my purpose, and I tried to fight off the thoughts of Sharon with that other guy. It crushed me to think she had so quickly replaced me. All I could do to defend myself from the crippling depression was ignore it and try to focus on other things. Before I knew it, morning came and went, and still I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I found myself at the local mall the next afternoon, people watching. It was a decent distraction I figured.

Since it was a Saturday, the mall was pretty busy. Shoppers of all kinds were shuffling around from store to store. I watched kids play games in the arcade. It was interesting for a little while, but it gets boring quickly when you can never play the game yourself. Then I hovered in the food court and watched people eat tons of yummy food. Food, however, was just another pleasure of life that I could never experience again. Couples were everywhere. Spying on them might have been interesting, if they didn't all bring back painful memories of my now lost love. I felt very out of place.

"Maybe I should just disappear for good," I said with a sigh. It felt like there was no hope in the world anymore. Nothing made me feel any better. "It's not like anyone would even notice. Nobody can see me."

"I can," a small voice said from behind me. I turned around to find a petite Asian girl looking right at me. She looked down shyly for a moment and blushed before returning her gaze to meet my own.

"Were... were you talking to me?" I asked.

She favored me with a small smile. "Yes. I can see you."

Maybe there was a reason to stick around after all.

*****

The girl looking right at me was only an inch or two over five feet tall. Her hair was jet black with a few purple highlights and cut short a couple inches above her shoulders. She had long bangs that almost came down far enough to cover her eyes. Her eyes were darkened with black eye shadow, and she wore black lip stick as well. She wore a black sweater that led to a gray skirt. Black leggings under the skirt hid her legs and disappeared underneath a pair of black leather boots. Her whole appearance was very... dark.

Both of us stood in silence for a few moments. I was so surprised that she had talked to me that I couldn't think of what to say. She just seemed to be shy. While I was staring at her with my mouth open like an idiot, she was having trouble making eye contact for more than a second. A group of shoppers passed in between us and brought me back to my senses.

"You can really see me? How?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I've just always been able to see ghosts," she answered.

"I didn't think anyone was capable of that."

"Not many are. I know my grandma can, but she is the only other psychic I know."

"Psychic? Like, seeing the future and reading minds and all of that?"

She laughed. "I can't do that stuff. My grandma says we are just more attuned to our senses than most people. We can feel others' emotions and see things that normal people cannot."

"Wow," I said. Maybe not superhero level, but it was still pretty cool. And it felt so amazing to actually talk to someone! Months of nobody to talk to but myself had taken its toll. Being dead was lonely.

"You seem nice," she said. "Are you really going to disappear?"

So she heard me say that too huh? Even though I did say that, I don't think I was serious. Things did seem to be getting worse, but I still felt the need to stay. Fading away didn't feel right yet. Plus, now that I knew that I could interact with certain people, maybe I could learn something useful about all of this ghost business.

SRound
SRound
130 Followers
123456...8