Mr. Mom Goes Surfing

Story Info
A flaky dad loses his job and stays home to raise his boys.
8.2k words
4.47
38k
129
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
maninconn
maninconn
2,096 Followers

I usually post in Loving Wives, but this story has no explicit sex, and the implications of sex are rather distant. So...Hello Non-Erotic. It's still a love story! Enjoy!

*****

Danny Cane was a surfer. Still is, whenever the life of a 42 year old father of two active boys lets him get to the beach when the tide is coming in. Sounds like a lot of variables, but actually Danny gets out a lot. You see Danny is Mr. Mom. Not exactly the Mr. Mom of movie fame, yet just like the character played by Michael Keaton, Danny is a stay at home dad. The big differences are that he doesn't have any interest in the neighborhood cougars, and he didn't lose his job. He quit.

His wife Kelly has no idea he quit. He tried to tell her, but she wouldn't listen. Her mouth flew a mile a minute about measures they would have to enact to afford living on her salary alone. Her boss had recently offered a full time position supervising a creative team which would pay her a lot better, but she had turned him down. She was concerned that her boss still wanted her. That would mean travel. She was concerned that the boys needs couldn't be met by their flaky father. In short, she was furious, and never listened to the why's and the how's behind Danny's plan. When she commanded him to become Mr. Mom, he didn't blink an eye. In fact he smiled. It fit right into his plan.

She left every morning at 6:30 for her job as an advertising account executive. She rarely returned before 7:00 in the evening, and was always exhausted. Many Saturdays and some Sundays also required her attention at the office, and she made good money for it. Anytime Danny complained, she shut him down with tirades about his laziness and irresponsibility. Yet he could always point out the fact the house was spotless, that meals were expertly prepared, and that the boys were being well cared for. In fact grades in school were higher than ever, and the boys were genuinely happy. Kelly had no clue how Danny was immensely popular with Sandy and Chuck, and that they loved the time they spent with their cool father.

She didn't resent not being home with her sons, or her husband. Her work got her jazzed, and she was good at it. However she resented her husband not working anymore. They could have so much more. She didn't know how hard Danny worked online while she and the boys were gone during the day. Nor did she know how much he was surfing again.

He had been a champion when he was a kid. His sponsors footed the bills for him to travel the world, and he had surfed beaches on every continent. She knew winnings from surfing had paid his way through college, and unlike most people, she knew his slow spoke image and laid back nature only sounded stupid. He was sharp as a tack.

Somehow, in the five years she had played the major breadwinner, she forgot all that. As the boys entered high school she began belittling Danny for his role as Mr. Mom. It bothered Danny, but just like he never went back to set Kelly straight on his bread winning plans, he just shut up and let her think he was a good for nothing house husband. His skin bristled at hearing her telling friends at parties things like "I like to keep him around, he cooks well," or "you should see our windows, they are spotless." Indeed he kept a perfect house, and had become a gourmet cook.

Danny was a pacifist at heart. Like many of his surfer buddies, zen-like thought of being one with the wave and indeed with the universe governed his actions, and he never took the bait and fought with Kelly, or contradicted her in front of their friends. "She was only joking," he would think to himself, "and I love her too much to make her look bad."

Then came the day, Kelly presented him with the contract. She intended to divide their assets. She claimed the house, her car, the furnishings, and their beach place since she was the money maker. Danny thought about the long hours he had worked long to earn the down payments and pay the mortgages.

"Kelly, the house is mine. It is in my name, and I paid the mortgage off before I..."

He almost slipped and told her he quit. This was not the time to reveal his real position.

"If we are splitting our finances, I should keep what's mine."

"While we're at it, the beach house is mine too. I bought that before we were married."

"It was a shack, it's community property."

"I paid for the improvements while I was working."

"I'll fight you for it."

"You do realize I paid for your degree and supported you through your internship and the training year when you were barely paid. We could fight, but I'll bet I'd get a good percentage of your salary and pension for life."

Kelly didn't expect resistance, so she was off balance. She had grown used to Danny's laid back attitude, and had slipped into believing he really was dumb. They adjusted the papers, and he signed without comment.

"When did you become such a pussy?" She said to him. "I expected some kind of fight. You have no idea what I make, and you just signed that away. Now, I will put you on an allowance to pay the bills and take care of Sandy and Chuck. If you want more, go earn it."

Danny grinned as she walked away. He knew things too. She had still never asked him why he "lost" his job. But her shows of contempt continued. Digs, humiliating digs, became common, even around their boys. Sandy and Chuck tried to get Danny to stand up for himself, but he would just smile and say "It all happens for the best."

Still he wondered what happened to that wonderful woman he married.

The day Kelly came home and announced her big trip to Hawaii, the boys were gassed. Plans to surf, and climb the volcanoes, and check out the girls on the beach flew around the dinner table. Danny was excited too. Hawaii was home to his favorite surfing memories, and he had been making big plans of his own to get his boys there and in the water.

"That sounds awesome! I know so many great places to go..."

"You can't afford it."

Danny was dumbfounded. Kelly went on to explain that up this was a business trip, and that unless he was prepared to pay his own way, she and the boys were going alone.

"And who is going on this business trip?"

Kelly stared him down as she rattled the names of her team members off at him, and then added "and John Larsen."

John Larsen. John had been a rival for Kelly back in the day. He had come on board with Kelly's agency last year, and had been hitting on Kelly ever since. At first, Danny and Kelly laughed about it, but a couple of months after John had established himself in the agency, Kelly stopped talking about him. Shortly after that Kelly's contempt of Danny and his chosen career as professional dad ramped up to what now appeared as hatred. Danny took it in stride, believing the best of his wife, and crediting her with just going through a difficult patch or suffering the hormonal shifts of the change of life.

"John has taken an interest in my career. We have a chance to land a huge group that includes some pretty plum retail chains and brands. He is letting me take the lead, which could land me a huge bonus."

"And what does John get out of it?"

"You may never know Mr. Mom, you'll be here dusting my knick knacks."

Weeks passed, and the day came for the family to fly out. John picked them up in a limo. Danny sat at the base of the stairs watching Kelly struggle with her over packed suitcase. He giggled as her foot twisted and the heel snapped off the hooker pumps she was perched upon. She cursed a blue streak, and John came running down to help her. He and Sandy wrestled her bags to the car as she limped to the door. She knew better than to admonish him, but couldn't resist a dig, when John appeared to help her to the car.

"Have a nice time when I'm gone. Maybe you could wash the windows, clean the carpets, do some of the big things you need to do."

"Good luck on your big deal," Danny replied with a smirk on his face. Kelly couldn't read him, and the smirk confused her. "What does he know?" she wondered. As she walked out, John looked back, and said quietly so Kelly couldn't hear, "Say good by Mr. Mom, she won't be coming back to you. She needs more than you can give her."

As the the limo drove off with his wife and sons, Danny walked around the house locking windows and putting things right. He set the alarm, and closed the door as a chauffeur opened the the car door for him. The chauffeur greeted Danny like the old friend he was.

Sandy and Chuck had settled into a waiting area while their Mom and John went off to grab a drink. They were both wary about John's intentions towards their mom, but had discussed several ways to keep them from being alone on the trip. They had decided it would be better to chaperone in Hawaii than to be left at home where they could do nothing to keep their Mom in line. Suddenly they heard some one yell "Hey! It's Sugar!" And a pair of Honolulu bound thirty something's moved down the walkway. A small group of travelers gathered around someone, who was apparently signing autographs. They thought nothing of it until the group dispersed and a tall blond man in a sport coat and flip flops strode towards the lounge, and turned into the first class club. "Hey it's Danny "Sugar" Cane! Sweet as Sugar!"

The boys eyes snapped to each other. "Dad!" they said together. Their faces broke into a grin.

"He's not done yet."

"It's about time."

Kelly and John were relaxing over a drink when they heard someone yell Danny's name. Kelly felt guilty. She was sitting with John, thinking about giving herself to him on this trip. John felt interrupted. It was bad enough the bitch insisted on bringing her boys. His sons. They looked like him, they walked like him, they even talked like him. Dumb and slow. Now some random asshole was yelling his name. A kid ran up to a couple at the table next to them.

"Guess who I saw by the bathrooms! Danny Cane! He's a surfing legend and he's going to Hawaii too! Look, he autographed my ticket!!"

John was visibly pissed. "Danny is here? You told me there was no way he would buy a ticket for this trip! You cut him off, right? Or are you playing me? Because the only way you join Team John is by being totally on board with the program."

Kelly was in an awkward position. She had pretty completely burned bridges with her husband. Even if she hadnt slept with John yet, and even if she quit the agency right now, the months of humiliating her husband, cutting him out of her life, strangling him financially were acts she couldn't take back. If John dropped her now, she would be without a husband, without a job, and with no claim to her home.

"Calm down, John. Danny is a pussy. He means nothing to us. Landing this account is what is important, not Danny."

She sounded confident, but deep down, she wasn't so sure. She thought of the smirk Danny had given her back home. And now he was here, and they were heading for Hawaii. Hawaii was Danny's backyard. He had won some big surfing competitions there when he was young. She wasn't sure how big of a deal he was, but some kid referring to him as a legend and bragging about an autograph didn't boost her confidence at all.

The flight boarded. John fumed. Kelly scanned the crowd for a glimpse of her husband. Her efforts were in vain. At the gate, the attendant told them the boys' seats had been upgraded to first class by their father who hadn't boarded yet, but would be flying with them. Kelly was shocked, first because she had no clue that Danny had the kind of money to go, much less first class, and much less to upgrade Sandy and Chuck. Then she was shocked to realize this was the first thing her husband had done since he lost his job that was proactive in his dealings with her. As the flight busily boarded, she was told she could not remain and wait in first class, but had to take her proper seat immediately. She and John made their way to the rear cabin, and she took the aisle seat where she could see first class board.

Just as everyone settled in, and she could see to the front of the plane, Danny strolled in through the airway. John was talking away to her, but she didn't hear a word. This wasn't the Danny she had been throwing humiliating barbs at. This isn't the Danny she had been hatefully neglecting in bed. This wasn't the Danny she left at home. He looked like the Danny she was hooked on all those years ago.

He was dressed in comfy jeans and a light blazer, his travel dress of course. He always liked having the pockets and defense of a light blazer against the coolness of a plane at altitude. When had he lost the belly? And weren't his shoulders broader now? Why hadn't she noticed? He must be working out during the day at home. Maybe he joined a gym. No, that would be bad. He's in his forties, his bushy blonde hair looks like a twenty year old's and is so fucking cute women have been known to introduce themselves just to touch it. If his body is as hard as it looks, spending daytime hours at the gym with all those non working mothers and single Lycra coated gym bodies would not be so good for her. Her body was still pretty hot, but not next to some thirty something chippy with nothing to do but attend yoga and spinning classes. Shit. Danny had loved yoga when he was younger. Him in a yoga class would be a disaster.

Then Kelly realized the irony of her musings. She hadn't touched her husband in months. She just noticed a change in his body that couldn't have happened in a short time. Yet these possiblities were making her jealous. And she was on a trip she had denied to him with a man he hated, but who she was fully intent on fucking. Shit...they only had two rooms, one for the boys, and one for her and John. She had planned to hide her sleeping with John from the boys, but if Danny was there...fuck! She would have to share a room with the boys. That would be creepy at best, but they would also be pissed at sharing a bed. If that happened after their dad

sprung for first class air, she would look cheap. She couldn't lose ground with the boys to Danny, he already had that cool vibe going in their eyes. If he became the provider again as well, the boys would have no use for her if they divorced.

Another revelation stunned Kelly. She had thought of being with John. A lot. But she hadn't considered the impact of divorce. Danny was a little slow, but he was such an affable lunk, everybody loved him. No one would look at her with favor if she hurt him or the boys in any way. She could be ostracized from her very Catholic family. The neighbors would quickly forget her name, as soon as one of those horny divorcees swept in to take her place. How could she be jealous after the way she treated Danny these last few years. Suddenly she was struck with guilt and felt compelled to speak with Danny. But no, there wasn't time. The plane began to taxi, and the flight attendants ushered everyone to their seats to start the pre-flight safety speech.

Take off was uneventful, but Kelly didn't dare try to sneak past the attendants in the halls into first class during the beverage service. Or the meal. Shortly after she had been served a very plastic tasting Salisbury steak Sandy slipped back to see her.

"Hey Mom! Oooo...that looks terrible. We had this amazing beef dish up front, and it was served on a real plate instead of those hospital trays. Oh Mom, the seats fold back into a bed, and don't come near the legs of the person behind you. And they gave us slippers and all this stuff. It's way cool."

John grumbled and turned away with a "Nice, kid." Kelly decided to gather some Intel. She probed Sandy for how Danny could afford the trip, and then for how Danny spent his days when he was home.

"The trip? His company is paying for it. He told us about it at Christmas time, and said to keep it a secret. He wanted to surprise you since Saturday is your anniversary. There is some big surf contest and his company sponsors it. Of and during the days in the summer he slips out to the Island and surfs on the south shore. We go with him a lot. We both have gotten kind of good, and at Christmas he promised to take us surfing in Hawaii."

Sandy tried to excuse himself to go back to his seat and watch a movie, but Kelly stopped him.

"What company?" She asked. "Your dad lost his job over five years ago and has been Mr. mom since!"

Sandy laughed hard as he stood up to go. "Mom, you're just messing with me. Dad never lost his job!"

Kelly didn't know what to think. Sandy was crazy. Danny hadn't gone to work in years. So how could he still be with the company? Seconds later Chuck swayed down the aisle to sit beside his mom.

"Sandy tells me you guys knew about this Hawaii trip in December!"

"Yeah. We thought it odd when you announced one for the same time as Dad's. It's a shame you had to take this guy's offer instead. Dad had a first class ticket for you too! But you didn't need it he says, 'cause you got a better deal."

"Sandy says his company is sending him? What company?"

"I don't know. Dad hasn't talked about it much. All we know is that he bought it just before he quit his old job."

"Quit! Your father was fired."

"Ok Mom, if you say so."

"Chuck, I want a straight answer right now. Where did your father get the money for his trip?"

"I don't know, Mom, and I don't really care. Dad rocks, and we've never needed anything he hasn't been able to get for us."

"Your dad doesn't have a cent to his name!"

"Ok then, tell me one thing Mom. Has he ever asked for money from you? Ok, I'll leave you and your friend here to your business trip."

John was asleep. He snored. Oh boy, this was going to be so much fun. Danny had a company? He planned this trip? For our anniversary!? Oh shit, she had totally forgotten their anniversary. Which anniversary was this? She couldn't remember...but became suddenly aware they hadn't been celebrating. For years! That was...her fault. He had asked to do something special each year, and she had turned him down because...there was never a good reason. She turned him down because she didn't value him anymore. She didn't respect him. What kind of person had she become?

The flight was difficult for her. She couldn't sleep between her racing thoughts and the racing engines. John had fancy headphones that he claimed cancelled out the jet noise. Danny had those on their last trip. She wondered if he and the boys were blissfully asleep under the gentle quiet of the technological wonders, snuggled up in their first class berths with flight attendants hovering over...who was in her seat!? Chuck said he had bought the seats before Christmas, so who was in her spot. She tried to slip up past the first class seats twice, but an attendant caught her both times and returned her to her seat, rather firmly the second time around. Of course she got to sleep at the end of the flight. John woke her as the plane was emptying, and she raced to catch her husband, but she was too late. Everyone was trying to get out, and Danny was long gone by the time she reached he gate. He wasn't at baggage claim either. The boys giggled that Dad packed light like them, and only travelled with a carry on.

The ride to the hotel was frustrating. Her phone was dead, and she couldn't reach Danny on Sandy's cell. The scenery was beautiful until John opened his mouth to talk. What a pompous ass. How could she ever see him as an alternative to Danny. She thought to herself no one could be an alternative to Danny. She then thought to herself how poorly she really knew Danny. He had obviously changed before her eyes, and she didn't have a clue! A company? What company?

At the hotel, she served noticed to the boys and John that she would be sleeping in the boys' room. Everyone took that poorly. She then tried Danny's cell again, but he didn't answer. Why would he? She had separated her money, then cut him out of a family vacation for...bullshit. It was all bullshit she fed him, and she knew it. He hadn't changed when he became a domestic God. And now she wasn't even really sure she had been the breadwinner all those years as she belittled him and bragged of her achievements. This vacation was a very bad idea, and must have really stung him.

maninconn
maninconn
2,096 Followers