Mr. Nice Guy

Story Info
Did he go too far? Did she?
14.5k words
4.09
245.1k
112
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Blue88
Blue88
1,149 Followers

"Susan," exclaimed a shocked Janet. "Aren't you going to ask Tim? Do you think that he'll be ok with you going? Won't he be upset? You'll be the only married woman in the group. You know Carol and Peggy; they'll be in bed with some guys six hours after the plane lands in Vegas."

"Ask? Ask? Like he's going to say no? Tim never says no, Jan. Fuck him, I'm sick and tired of Mr Goody Twoshoes." snapped Susan. Her face sagged and she relented a bit. "It's not that I'm going to cheat on him. I just want to get away for awhile. I'm bored out of my mind. There's no excitement in my life."

Janet Simpson, Susan's friend for years, just shook her head. "Ok, Sue, it'll be a blast, just be careful. I would hate to see you screw up your marriage."

"Marriage," laughed Susan Burns. "What Tim and I have is not exactly a burning passion, Jan. We've been together for over 22 years and I have never, never seen him really passionate about anything. It's been like living with Mr. White Bread."

"Damn, Sue. What's with you? I thought that you really loved him. Why so bitter? I don't understand you, Tim is the nicest, kindest man I think I've ever met. If you don't want him anymore, I'll take him in a second and I know a few hundred other gals who feel the same," Janet exclaimed.

Susan Burns sighed heavily. "I know, I know . I do love him, but I'm just tired of living with Mr. Perfect. He never loses his temper, he doesn't get terribly upset, he walks away from any conflict. Shit, he never even fights with me. Even when he disagrees with me, he so gentle about it, and he gives in to me so easily."

"And this is bad?" asked Jan increduously. "You're upset because he's nice to you? Have you lost your mind?"

Sue just shook her head. "You don't understand, Jan. He lets people walk all over him. He won't stand up for himself. You remember the New Years Eve party. Walt Hurley was drunk as hell and he was trying to pick an argument with Tim. He just about called Tim a coward. Tim just walked away from him, Jan. He should have clobbered Walt, but he didn't. He just turned his back and walked away. Jan, I wondered if Tim really was a coward," Sue said softly.

Jan saw that her friend was now truly upset. Unshed tears shone in her eyes. Janet took Susan's hands in hers and tried to comfort her. "Sue, it'll be alright. Why not talk to him. Try to get him to be more forceful."

Sue caught her breath and brought herself under control. "I've tried a thousand times. He just tells me that violence never solved any problem. Sometimes I just get so angry with him. I don't know what to do. That's why I want to get away for awhile. I really need to, Jan."

Sue then smiled bravely at Jan. "Besides, you know what they say - what plays in Vegas, stays in Vegas - or some such thing."

Janet returned Sue's smile, but she felt a chill run through her and she worried about her friend.

********************

Tim Burns was truly a nice guy. Standing a little over 5' 9" and weighing in at around 160 pounds, he was trim and fit. Early morning runs and work outs took care of that.

Graduating high school, Tim went directly into the US Navy since there was no money for college and the service was one way to gain admission to a college. Four years later his dream came through and he was admitted to university majoring in finance and accounting. He was older than his classmates and he was very serious about his studies, no frolicking or carousing for him. He was going to take advantage of this opportunity. Putting his years in the navy behind him, Tim concentrated on getting the best grades he could.

It was at the start of his junior year that Tim met Susan Sims. She was introduced to him by a friend in the student cafeteria. The three of them ate lunch together and Tim felt comfortable with her as well as intrigued. She was an eyeful at 5' 6" tall and a figure that was very pleasant to the eye. She had short, dark hair and blue eyes that flashed when she was excited about something.

She had given Tim her telephone number and he did indeed call her. They dated casually at first. It seemed that they were both feeling their way, but it wasn't long before they were an item. One evening, after dinner and driving back to the dorms, Tim pulled the car into a local park and turned the motor off.

Turning to her, Tim began in a halting manner..."Sue, ahhhh, look, I want to talk to you."

"Just talk, Tim?" she replied with a question in her eyes.

"Ahhh, yeah. Look, we've been dating a few months now and I want....... uh, need, yes, need to tell you how I feel."

Sue just sat and waited, a twinkle in her eyes.

"Ahhh, this is not easy, damn it," Tim muttered, unsure of himself. "Sue, I love you and I want to marry you," he blurted out, red in the face.

"Tim, how do you know?" murmured Sue. "We've never done more than kiss and hold hands. How do you know that you love me?"

Tim looked at her with a bit of surprise on his face. "I respect you, Sue. I would never try to take advantage of you. Why would I treat you like a slut?" he replied.

"Slut? Slut?" she exclaimed. "What makes you think that intimacy between two people who care for each other makes the woman a slut? Tim, I'm not sure that you love me, I think you want a girl who is like Mother Theresa, not one with blood in her veins." Sus sat back with a look of frustration on her face

Tim raised his hands in a gesture of self defense. "Wait, Sue, wait," he protested. "That's not so. It's just that I've been n the navy for four years and the girls we came into contact with were not exactly college types. I just wanted to make sure that I treated you as you should be treated."

He hesitated and spoke again softly. "I do love you, Susan Sims. I want you to be my wife, I want to be with you for the rest of my life."

Sue teared up and reached for him. "Oh, Tim. I do love you. You're the sweetest, most considerate and compassionate person I've ever met . Yes, I'll marry you."

They kissed passionately and this time Tim tentatively placed his hand on her breast. Sue reached and removed his hand. She then quickly unbuttoned her blouse, unnclasped the front of her bra and bared her breasts.

"Kiss them, Tim," she pleaded softly. "Kiss them for me." Tim was happy to comply. It didn't take long before they were in the back seat of the car with Tim buried deeply inside of her.

"Tim, don't come in me. I'm not on the pill," Sue warned. Tim nodded and continued thrusting. Sue relaxed and again wrapped her legs about his hips. After a bit Sue whimpered and dug her nails into his shoulders. She reached down and rubbed her clitoris and tensed. Tim felt her and quicky withdrew, ejaculating over her stomach. He then collapsed beside her on the seat and they both tried to catch their breath.

"That was a quick trip, Tim. From just kissing to screwing in the back seat of your car," Sue chuckled. "When you get started, you don't waste time."

Tim grabbed some tissues and helped Sue clean up. Then holding her in his arms, he whispered, "I've wanted to do that for a long time, Sue. A very long time," and then they kissed gently.

*******************

Sue graduated shortly with a degree in marketing and managed to get a position with a cosmetics firm in the area. She was to undergo a training period for a few months before she would be given a territory. She was quite surprised at the salary, it was quite generous.

Tim still had a year to go for his degree, but they didn't want to wait and were married shortly after. They were able to get a small apartment near the university. Sue worked and Tim studied and it seemed to work well. After graduation Tim was also able to gain employment in the area as a junior accountant and with both salaries they had little financial concerns.

When Susan became pregnant a year later, they decided that she would take maternity leave and then return to work after securing adequate day care. Actually, Susan had decided, Tim went along with her. She delivered a daughter that they both doted on, especially due to the fact that there were complications in the delivery and Sue would not be able to have any additional children. They were both heartbroken, but were thankful for their daughter, Amanda.

.Both continued to do well in their professions and money was never a worry. With their combined income they were able to eventually purchase a large home in a gated community with a golf course and country club. When Amanda reached her 12th birthday, Susan decided to stop working and devote her time to being a full time mother. Tim quickly concurred. Tim also did well and after over twenty years with the company he occupied the position of Senior Account Manager with a very comfortable salary.

Then, a few weeks ago, a Vice Presidency became available and Tim applied for it. He was fairly confident for he knew that he was more than capable of filling the opening. A few days later John Cook, CEO, called Tim into his office.

"Tim, good to see you, please have a seat. Make yourself comfortable. Coffee?" he inquired.

"No thanks, John. I'm fine," Tim answered, eyeing him closely. He felt that this wasn't going to be good news.

"Tim, let me be frank with you. I know that you applied for the VP spot. I have to be up front with you. You're not going to get it, despite the fact that you're smart and capable."

Tim swallowed his anger. "Ok, John. Continue with your frankness, let me know why."

Cook smiled gently. "Tim, it's just that you're too decent a person. I don't think that anyone in this organization has ever worked with someone like you. You're extremely knowledgeable, considerate, very easy to work with and kind to everyone with whom you come into contact . You are very valuable to us because of the high admiration our clients have for you. That's one reason why we want you to remain in your present position."

Tim pressed, "What's the other reason, John. I think that I deserve hearing what that is."

Cook nodded, "Yes, you do." He leaned forward and looked at Tim closely. "That's the problem, Tim. You're too nice, you don't have that killer instinct. You don't know when to go for the jugular. If there's one area in which you don't shine, it's in negotiations. Let's not kid ourselves, you know that I'm right."

Tim nodded in return. He knew that Cook was correct. It wasn't that he didn't have that so called "ability." It was that he chose not to travel that road. He didn't want to go for any jugulars, he had had enough of that. He rose, shook Cook's hand and left. He would have to tell Susan that the position was not his. She would not be surprised, she knew Tim.

***********************

Tim sat at his desk, staring pensively out of the window. For the first time in many years he wondered about the persona he had adopted after being discharged from the navy. He had made a conscious decision to become the person he was. He had decided to eschew violence in any form, physical or verbal, even making sure to eliminate any sign of aggressiveness in this new personality. It really wasn't all that difficult; Tim was basically a very nice person, but there was a dark side to him. He wanted to make sure that that dark side would never again surface.

But now he began to question how far to the other extreme he had taken that persona. His mind wandered back to his years in the navy. The training during the dark hours on the cold, wet beaches at Coronada and underwater at San Clemente, places where nobody could hear you scream. He remembered reconnoitering an enemy beach from the surf line, taking down a moving vessel at sea, lying awake in ambush for hours or days in the mud and strench of swampland.

They had trained him well. He learned to kill silently with a knife, a garrote or multiple ways with his bare hands. For over three and a half years he had been a Navy Seal. For over three and a half years he had been a killing machine. He knew that he was heading for a breakdown and thanked his lucky stars when his enlistment ended. He had vowed to never again let that side of him reemerge.

But now he wondered - had he gone too far? He didn't know now if he fully agreed with John Cook. He didn't show the steel in his spine that a VP position required only because he chose not to adopt that characteristic. He knew that he climbed the last rung of the ladder at this firm. He would always remain in the position he now held. But, were there cracks appearing in that persona?

He he did not look forward to telling Sue about his discussion with Cook. He knew that the last few of years of their marriage were not exactly happy ones. Sue often seemed abrupt and snappish. She had adopted a habit of criticizing him, and, at times, seemed almost contemptuous. He knew that he often had to control his temper and walk away from a possible confrontation. They seemed to have drifted apart.

Tim's mind wandered back to the New Year's Party when he had almost lost it.........

******************

"Hey, Timmy," slurred a half drunk Walt Hurley. "How's the air down there for you little folk," laughed Hurley from his height of 6' 2".

Tim had stood very still and just stared at Hurley while Susan just stood and kept her eyes on Tim.

"That's ok, Timmy," continued Hurley condescendingly . "We know that little people don't like getting hurt." He then laughed uproariously as Tim turned and walked away.

The scene at home later that night was not pleasant. Susan couldn't wait to confront him.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" she hissed. "How can you let that ass make a fool of you? He made you look like some sort of wimp. Why didn't you defend yourself?"

"What would you have me do, Sue?" Tim asked wearily. "Would it have been better if I had attacked him physically? Would a clever bit of repartee been more appropriate? He was sloshed and I didn't want to make a scene. Let it go."

Sue looked at him scornfully and snapped. "So it's better that you looked like a coward? Sometimes I wonder about you." She then turned and stalked out of the room. Neither slept well that night.

**************

Tim's mind returned to the present. It wasn't just that night. There was something going wrong with their marriage. Sue seemed almost dismissive of him most of the time. He also recognized that they hadn't made love in months. She didn't seem all that interested and her attitude turned him off. Who wanted to make love to a woman who wasn't interested?

Tim realized that he was approaching a crossroads in his life, but he was confused and apprehensive. The facade he had so carefully built over the years now seemed to have developed cracks and he didn't know what to do. He shook his head and put his worries aside for the time being.

Later that evening, after dinner, Tim related his conversation with John Cook to Sue. She flipped her hand dismissively and just snapped at him that she was not surprised.

Sue then turned to him and told him that she and the girls were flying to Vegas for a long weekend. She then turned her attention back to some banal TV show she was watching.

Tim sat and looked at her. "What girls?" he asked. "Isn't this something that you should have discussed with me before committing yourself?"

Sue looked up at him impatiently. "Look, Tim. It's Jan, Carol, Peggy and myself. We're going to have some fun for a few days. It's no big deal so don't give me a hard time."

Tim kept at her. "Aren't they all single? Do you think that your little jaunt is appropriate?"

Sue rose and turned the TV off. She then whirled on him. "Yes," she snapped. "I think it's entirely appropriate so just shut up. I'm a big girl and I'll do what I want." With that she turned and went into the bedroom.

Tim sighed heavily. Things were getting out of control, but he was not quite sure how to handle it. He did feel that things were going to get worse before they got better, if they got better.

Later that week Tim returned home from work and heard Sue in the kitchen. She shouted that dinner was almost ready and for him to wash up and change. He entered their bedroom and quickly shed his suit and washed his hands and face then threw on a pair of casual slacks. He noticed Sue's suitcase on the bed and remembered that she was going to Vegas with her friends for the weekend.

He didn't know why, but he flipped open the catches on her bag and looked inside. In the front pocket he saw the underwear she had packed. They still had the tags from Victoria Secret on them. He saw tiny thongs and skimpy bras, things she hadn't purchased or worn in ages. He slowly shut and secured the bag. What Tim didn't realize at the time was that the cracks in his persona were getting larger.

"Tim?" Sue shrilled. "Dinner is ready. When you come down bring my suitcase. Janet is picking me up in the morning. Our flight leaves at 10:25."

Tim did as he was told, setting the suitcase by the front door. At the dinner table he broke the silence. "You haven't told me where you're staying, Sue.

Sue looked up, startled, as if she didn't expect him to ask. "Uhh, we'll be at the.... Rio, but don't call there. We'll be out and around most of the time. If you have to get in touch with me just call my cell. I'll have it on." Tim nodded. He knew what he had to do.

Tim woke early that Friday morning and got himself ready for work quietly, without waking Sue. He arrived at his office well before anyone else and settled himself at his desk. "Alright," he muttered to himself as he reached for the phone. "Enough fucking around. Time to begin to call in favors."

"Venetian, how can I direct your call?" a female voice answered.

"Ron Harkum, please."

"I'm not sure that the chief is in yet. Would you like to leave a message?"

"Try him anyway." Tim insisted.

The phone was picked up after one ring.

"Harkum," a deep voice answered.

"Hi Ron, this is Tim Burns," Tim spoke softly into the handset.

There was a slight pause. "Tim, it's been quite a few years. How the hell are you?"

"I need a favor, Ron," and Tim proceeded to give Harkum details of what he needed.

"I don't care what hotel she told you, Tim. We'll find them and we'll keep you posted. They won't be able to take a piss without us knowing it. I'll be getting back to you periodically."

Harkum paused. "I'm sorry, Tim. You deserve better, and remember; anything you need, you just call me. Seals never forget."

Tim thanked him and replaced the handset. Ron Harkum was chief of security for the Venetian and was tight with the heads of security of the other hotels in that town. He had no doubt that Ron would be able to do what he promised. He put that problem aside for the moment.

Tim had spent quite a few hours during the past week considering the course of action he contemplated. He had weighed the negatives and the potential for success. He had made voluminous notes and did spreadsheets. He saw little downside. He was more than confident and he had made the decision to proceed. Reaching for the phone again, he punched in a long distance number.

"Carallo, Simon," a female voice answered.

"Sam Carallo, please," Tim replied.

"I'll transfer you to his personal assistant. Hold on please."

"Mr. Carallo's office," another female voice answered.

"Mr. Carallo, please. Tell him it's Tim Burns."

"I'm sorry. Mr. Carallo is not taking calls at the present. Can you tell me what this is in reference to?"

"Honey," Tim replied softly. "If Sam isn't on this line in two minutes, your job might just disappear. Just tell him that Tim Burns wants him and do it NOW."

There was silence on the line and he heard the phone being placed on a hard surface. Tim didn't have to wait long.

"Tim, you son-of-a-bitch," a hoarse voice bellowed. "I should be mad as hell at you. You said you would keep in touch, and it's been.....what, almost eight years since I saw you? I ought to slug you. How have you been? Tell me what's up with you."

Blue88
Blue88
1,149 Followers