My Corvette Summer

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,297 Followers

Robin sighed. Then she handed me an envelope. Inside was an airline ticket back to St. Louis, my home. "I'm sorry Frank, but our time together is over."

I was stunned, mad, sad, and confused. All at the same time, plus I felt like crying like a little boy. I looked into her eyes as they began to fill with tears and asked, "Why?"

Robin began to explain through her tears. When her husband died she was a wreck for a while. There was a man Ron, a friend that helped her to control her grief and get on with her life. They spent a lot of time together, he fell in love with her and she thought she loved him. He asked Robin to marry him, but she was afraid of getting too close to anyone, afraid to lose anyone else. That was when she decided to begin her journey.

"Now it's time for me to go home, Frank," Robin told me. "I have loved being with you and sharing the adventure, but I need to go back and start my life. I guess it's sort of strange but being with you made me realize you can't live in fear of losing someone. You have to get all the time together you can. Can you understand? Can you forgive me for leaving you?"

I had tears in my eyes too. "There isn't any need to forgive you. I knew this couldn't go on forever, but I had hopes," I said with a sad smile. "You will always have a special place in my heart Robin."

We grabbed onto each other and just held on for a while. My plane didn't leave until 6:00 P.M. so we spent the rest of the day snuggling together. I guess trying to hold on as long as possible.

She drove me to the airport and wanted to come to the gate with me. I told her it would be too hard to sit and wait for the plane with her beside me knowing I was leaving her behind. I watched her drive away.

It's about a six hour flight to St. Louis and we didn't land until after midnight. I hadn't told my parents I was coming home and took a taxi to my house. No one was awake of course so I sat on the front porch most of the night. When I heard someone in the kitchen, I knocked on the door.

My dad, tousled hair and sleep eyes opened the door. When he saw me he grabbed me in a bear hug and shouted my name. "Frank's home," he yelled up the stairs.

Mom came down the stairs so fast I thought she might have jumped all the way down. It took a few minutes for the hugging and kissing to get done. Mom was crying of course. We all went into the kitchen for coffee and the story I had to tell.

As we sat down at the table, the questions started. Where's Robin? Why didn't I let them know I was coming? Was I staying this time? Again, where's Robin? I held up my hand to stop the questions.

I told them the story of my adventure. Starting with pulling out of their driveway all the way to San Francisco and all the places in between. When I got to the part about San Francisco, I broke down and started crying. I guess I wasn't as grown up as I thought.

"I knew the trip couldn't go on forever, but I'm depressed that it is over," I said as I composed myself.

My dad saw I was really hurting and hugged me to his chest. Just like he used to do when I was a little boy. Mom was there too, rubbing my back and saying, get it all out, that's it and other things to soothing me.

I finally was able to compose myself and finish the tale. I told them about Robin's good bye and why she had to go home. Steeling myself a little, I told them that I understood and wished her good luck. I think Robin found herself on her journey and will be okay now. I hoped she would find someone to love again. Robin is too good of a person to be alone anymore.

After the breakfast that Mom insisted on cooking, I wandered out to the front porch. My dad followed me and we sat in the rocking chairs and listened to the river for a short time.

Dad looked at me and said, "You've grown boy. Whatever happened on your trip, you've grown up. I guess I can't call you a boy anymore. Do you love her son."?

"Yeah I do, but not in the way you mean Dad. I love her, but I'm not in love with her. Do you know what I mean? Robin opened my eyes to a lot of new things and new ways to look at the old things I already know about. She taught me to think and not just be. In spite of the sexual relationship, I almost think of her as my teacher. I know that's kinda weird but that's how I feel."

I had been on the go for over 24 hours. Too much on my mind to sleep on the plane. The fatigue almost overwhelmed me as I went up to my old room. I slept until the next morning but felt good when I got up. I felt good until I remembered why I was home. Robin was gone.

Knowing that nothing permanent could come of our relationship didn't lessen the sadness that it was over. I don't know how long I thought my adventure would last, but it had ended too soon for me. I came to realize that the feelings of loss I had was because of the great time I had been having. It was time to grow up and get back to real life.

It was early October and I made plans to start my college classes with the start of the new semester in January. In the mean time I got a job with a local garage working on cars. I was a better than average shade tree mechanic.

I found I liked the work. The army had taught me discipline so I was always on time and always worked hard. My boss learned he could count on me and with my mechanical ability he soon had me helping to run the place.

January rolled around and I changed most of my classes to late afternoon and evening ones. That way I could keep working at the garage and go to school. I didn't have much time for socializing but did manager to meet with Tony and Sal for beers or whatever on some Saturdays.

Things were drifting by, I wasn't happy but I wasn't unhappy either. I just sort of was. I was driving my dad's old truck to school and work because I had sold my 57 Chevy to pay for school. That was before I got the job at the garage. The guy I sold it too wasn't open to the idea of selling it back to me. I could have floated a loan from my folks for school but I wanted to make it on my own.

My birthday was in April and two good things occurred that day. My big day was on a Saturday and I was at home helping Mom get the house ready for my party that night. Somebody started playing "shave and a haircut" with the door bell and I went to answer the door. The guy at the door was dressed in a coverall and had a clip board in his hand. He looked like a truck driver.

"Got a delivery for Frances Xavier O'Reilly. He here?" The guy asked.

"I'm him, I mean I'm Frank O'Reilly. What delivery? I didn't order anything," I informed him.

"Don't know about you ordering it, but I got a delivery just the same," he answered. "Sign here," He handed me the clip board.

"What are you delivering? I asked as I signed the paper work.

He pointed over his shoulder. Sitting in the driveway with a big red bow on the hood was Robin's 56 Corvette. The driver handed me a large envelope and told me that there was a letter inside. He left before I could ask any more questions.

I didn't know what to think or how to react. Crossing the yard to the car, I felt like I was seeing an old friend again. I had spent a lot of days and had driven a lot of miles in that Corvette. I opened the envelope and inside found the keys to the car, the signed and notarized title, and a letter in Robin's handwriting. It read:

Dear Frank, Couldn't resist the Frances Xavier thing, sorry. I know how much you hate to be called Xavier.

I am giving you the Corvette for several reasons and I will try to explain them. You and I had a great adventure. I don't know anyone who has ever had a greater one. During that adventure you were my companion, my lover, and most of all my friend.

Frank you helped my come to grips with my own life, and like you I grew up during our travels.

Ron and I are getting married this summer. You made me realize that you couldn't go through life afraid of what you might lose. You must enjoy your loved ones for as long as you can.

Finally, I believe my husband would like and approve of the car belonging to someone that would treasure it the way he did. One last thing, if you haven't already, look up Gerry. You'll both be the better for it.

Thank you Frances, I love you, and God Bless.

Love always,

Robin

I was able to finish the letter before the tears came to my eyes, but just barely. Robin was right, I would appreciate the Corvette. It was a classic, but mostly it would remind me of her and the places it had taken us. That evening at my party, the second good thing happen.

My mom, I believe it was her, invited Gerry to my party. It was just like my mom to play matchmaker. I was surprised at her being there especially after the way I had treated her. When I had gotten home from the army we had gone out once or twice. Once I met Robin, I hadn't called her or tried to see her. The only time I had seen her was when Gerry ran into Robin and me. I hadn't even called her after my adventure with Robin had ended. I was surprised at how glad I was to see her.

When Gerry came into the house, I went to her to say hello and thanked her for coming. Tony and Sal came in and pulled me away from her. They wanted to know the scoop on the Corvette in the driveway. It was almost an hour later before I had the chance to find and talk to Gerry again.

"I'm really glad you came Gerry," I told her. "Believe it or not, I have missed talking with you."

Gerry said with a little smile, "I thought you were all broken up over losing your girlfriend. What was her name? Oh yes Robin isn't it?" Gerry was being a little catty.

Women are masters at putting a man in his place and/or cutting him down to size. It must be a female instinct. "Ouch, that's a little harsh, don't you think?" I returned her smile. "It's wasn't like that Gerry."

We walked to the back of the yard and I tried to explain what happened to her. I told her Robin's story, told her about our travels, and that I had learned a lot about myself and life in general.

"Gerry, I apologize for the way I treated you. I had thought of you as a friend or buddy, not as a girlfriend. I didn't know my own mind. When Robin and I ran into that time, it wasn't until you were walking away that I realized how much I cared about you. I'm sorry I didn't realize that sooner than I did."

I had been looking at the ground as I talked, afraid to meet Gerry's eyes. When I finished talking I finally looked at her. She had tears in her eyes and was smiling. Maybe there is still a chance for me, I thought.

"Could we sort of start over, Gerry? I would like very much to see if we could develop into more than friends."

"I don't know Frank. You hurt me a little even before Robin. We won't even talk about the whole Robin thing." She hesitated for a minute making me sweat. "We're already friends; maybe we could start from there. A ride in the Corvette would be a good start," she said laughing.

We spent the next hour or so going into details about the country and places I had seen. My mom called us in, it was time for the presents and cake. All and all, it had been my best birthday yet.

The next morning as I was leaving my dad was sitting on the porch. "Where you headed this morning?"

"I going to pick up Gerry and take a ride through the country side," I replied with a smile.

Dad grinned back at me and told me, "Take it slow Son." He was talking about more than my driving. My dad is a pretty smart guy sometimes.

Gerry was waiting in front of her house and ran to the car. We weren't going anywhere in particular, just spending time together.

Maybe my Corvette summer doesn't have to end. I have the Corvette and maybe I have the girl too. I feel lucky.

Quote: Life goes on.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,297 Followers
12