My Magazine Ch. 09

Story Info
A plan to buy 'My Magazine' and recruit Jenni.
8.2k words
4.82
6.1k
3
0

Part 9 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/26/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

David Brooks, executive chairman of Zephyr Media, was in a bar having a bar lunch with his chief executive. They watched two office girls pouring over a copy of My Magazine and chatting about it with great animation.

"I wish we could hear what they're saving," David said.

"If it were our magazine I'd get market research done to find out what readers are saying."

"I want that magazine and I want it now Ron. That's why I've got you here for a quite chat away from the office."

"Our contract with Jenni states two years."

"I want it now Ron."

"Okay you're the boss but I don't know off the top of my head how I'm going to move her."

"You know her better than anyone else in publishing Ron; we'll make it happen."

"We?"

"I've already started the framework and had a 3-minute chat with Jenni yesterday morning."

"Shit she's not one to be taken on full frontal."

"People sometimes surprise you Ron. She was cool on the idea - I'd have to say icy. But the door opened a bit. She said to make her an offer."

"Well that's something. But it will have to be a winning offer from the outset because Jenni doesn't believe in stuffing around with mind-game escalation of offers."

"Pass the bread and salami please."

"This is the proposal I have figured out so far, all subject to the deal with Jenni going ahead. Dad's resigning from the board the end of the month. You'll be promoted to managing director with a salary increase and enhanced incentive payments and take dad's seat on the board. I've consulted more than half of the board and they'll vote in favour of you taking that seat. My idea is that Jenni comes in as joint managing director but no seat on the board. She'll have the same seniority as you, same salary but I'll upgrade your car to a V8 Jag. She'll have to stay with the BMW she has now."

David said he'd no problem about cars. During that short conversation with Jenni he'd enquired what sort of car she'd want if she re-joined. She said she would prefer to stay with her current BMW.

Ron said, "But if she sold her mag to us, why would she want to come back on to staff?"

"Because there's no hubby and kiddies at home Ron. She'd be lonely and dangerous now that she's had a taste of being a publisher herself. She'd probably start up in competition to us once the binding restraint of trade agreement ran out."

Both men picked up their second Dutch lager, drinking straight from the bottle.

"Ron you know that I think a lot of you - you're a great all-rounder. But in this sort of negotiation you've got to stop thinking like a manager-accountant and try to think like your quarry. But that's not all; you've got to have the hunger to win. Without that hunger anyone like Jenni would leave you clutching in their wake. End of story."

"Yeah, you've given me that lecture in the past. But why would you also want Jenni as a co-MD and pay her a fat salary?"

"It's strategy Ron. I've had a quite word with Frank Stone about that specialist range of publications of his. I have a conditional agreement with him to pick out the eyes of his string - taking New Homemakers, Fashionable Appearance, Jewellery Box Catalogue and the twins Beachwear and Skiwear catalogues."

"Geez if that comes off our presses will be running twenty-four hours a day, six days a week."

"I've had Sam do a report on that for me - he calculates twenty-four hours for four days a week and one and sometimes perhaps two shifts on Friday ought to do it, leaving Saturday morning for maintenance etc."

"Golly that gets us into the big time and I guess we need to upgrade much of our plant as well?"

"That's true and the purchase of those magazines is conditional on us first taking Jenni and her mag aboard and our directors agreeing to the expenditure to accommodate this expansion."

"Can that be assumed?"

"Yes the deputy chairman and the two directors representing our two biggest shareholders approve of that plan and really want us to get Jenni back. That's what comes from them watching TV news."

"I got an email reply from dad from the Bahamas at lunchtime yesterday. He never seems to sleep! The message said, 'Go for it son.' I bet he wishes he was here but he's got that Mrs Wilson to think about. He'll hook up via the internet for that special board meeting on Friday."

"What this Friday; you think we'll have Jenni wrapped up by then?"

"Absolutely and legally. If we can't get her to sign a Heads of Agreement on Wednesday probably we'll never get her. She's already on her way to dad's house on the Island of Jersey. She's lying low to escape the media. I couriered the keys over to her at her hotel and told her to make herself at home. She loves the place."

"She's been there before?"

"Oh yeah, it was when you were at that symposium for magazine publishers early last year. We spent the weekend there."

"You were alone and ..."

"Yeah, you catch on real quick Ron."

"Marcia has booked a chopper to Jersey Airport at 9:00 in the morning from London Heliport and we would fly out at 4:00. I'll pick you at 8:00. Dress in casual clothes and pack swimming trunks. We don't want to have neighbours over there seeing us get out of the chopper in business suits looking like the London mafia. Dad tries to live inconspicuously as possible to remain friendly with the conventional neighbours plus the greenies, hermits and other oddities."

Back in his office Ron stewed.

He knew that Jenni would need to have some sex in her life, but she was ever so discreet.

Until now he'd only known it had been with only person - Snowy who was now married. The affair had been so passionate that he could feel the vibes zapping between them when he'd gone out with them and his girlfriend of that time.

He'd never suspected that David and Jenni would have been an item - they didn't even appear to really like each other and he'd not felt anything zapping between those two. She wasn't even David's type - he liked women like his wife, tall and snooty with a preference for wearing black underwear.

As soon as he saw a woman of that type in the company of David he knew that a new affair was in the making. If he saw flashes of exposed stocking tops because she was now wearing shorter dresses and exposing more flesh everywhere Ron didn't have to guess the affair was roaring away.

Ron sat brow wrinkled, trying to picture Jenni in a very short dress. She certainly had the legs to display. He had more difficult picturing the upper body as Jenni wasn't overly prominent there.

His PA entered with coffee and found him red-faced.

"My have I caught you thinking about some saucy wench or are you simply trying to remember what groceries you were supposed to buy on your way home?"

Ron stuttered a denial and said it was just that it was hot in his office.

Mrs Nash closed the door behind her, grinning. The office was its usual twenty-one degrees and she'd never heard Ron stuttering before.

"Randy devil," she muttered.

Ron sat starring at the coffee thinking about the occasions he'd seen Jenni after they had both left the Southern Star. He'd gone back to his father's firm to gain full accountancy qualifications and arriving in England eventually wound with a good job at Zephyr. He began playing squash with David, becoming his regular partner in club tournaments and then regular golf partner. At work positions of greater responsibility began coming his way.

Originally he'd always been a little shy of women, although he managed to enjoy some satisfying encounters. But his induction into David's social circle that quickly changed - at the peak he had so many young things on offer that he thought of himself as quite a sex machine.

That was the trouble - it was largely a mechanical activity. He did not feel his heart tumbling or his head pounding. He only dreamed of such women occasionally, never believing he would meet one and the only acquaintance coming close to that ideal was Jenni.

He made contact with Jenni the day she arrived at Zephyr and she accepted his offer to accompany him to dinner the next evening. The thought of that made Ron, the now very experienced man with pliable women, quite excited. He went out and bought a smart new shirt and tie and something he'd never purchased before - a perfume for males.

In the perfumery department, Ron because very courageous. "I want something so powerfully taking control of her senses that she will pull me into her bed and ravage me," he said, and then almost lost his confidence.

"Oh dear, I don't think we have anything that potent but my recommendation is this one."

Ron was jolted by the price but handed over the money quite happily. The assistant was so charming that Ron stayed chatting for a minute of two after she had handed him his purchase and change. As he was leaving she smiled and almost whispered - "Come back some time and tell me whether it worked. I am interested in product feedback from customers."

He smiled and departed feeling very optimistic.

The reunion with Jenni went wonderfully. They chatted like old friends, laughed a lot, drank a lot but before the evening's end Ron had decided that he could not make that initial move. It would have to come from Jenni,

They had kissed when she'd got into his car outside her apartment she had ooohed, and said, "Wonderful after-shave." Her perfume was almost intoxicating and he felt his heart pounding.

After the meal as they stood by the car in the restaurant carpark she tilted her head and he kissed her, neither being in a hurry to terminate it. Finally she pulled away and laughed, "Come on, you'd better get me home before I start trying to have my way with you."

That was that.

Two days later he went back to the perfumery. The shop assistant recognised him, having already admired his dark looks and very straight back and precise way of speaking. He was the right type of man for her, but unfortunately he had someone else.

"It didn't work," he blurted.

"Oh dear. I don't know what to say. Perhaps you should try it with me."

A hand flew over her mouth as Sally realised what she'd just said.

"Oh I'm terribly sorry, sir. I really didn't mean to say that - it sort of just popped out."

"You wanted customer feedback and I came back to deliver it. She described it as having a wonderful smell."

"We call it fragrance sir, not smell. Dogs smell. Oops, there I go again. I don't know why I am going on like this - you seem to be having some effect on me."

A warm blooded man with a straight back and an expensive bottle of male perfume to experiment with could not ignore a comment like that. So in no time at all Ron and Sally the perfumery assistant began a series of dates and a year later they married.

Jenni attended the wedding, and was seated with Ron's immediately family.

Ron finally had to admit that the t bond between him and Jenni was like that of a close relationship between a brother and his sister.

* * *

There was growing frustration within media circles that despite every string possible being pulled; Lord and Lady Barcote refused to be interviewed.

Newspapers published articles on the disclosures of Lord Barcote's extramarital affairs and the two children born out of wedlock. But what their political columnists wrote was mostly huff and puff as new facts were non-existent.

Digging into Lord Barcote's past produced no cupboard skeletons.

Although the parliamentary Opposition was braying for immediate action the Government was happy to take time to work out its response with Parliament conveniently being in recess for a fortnight as it was the school holidays.

Radio and TV ran stories and organised debates between liberal minded supporters, some of the Lord Barcote's more outspoken political opponents. Appearing on the panels with those invitees were what appeared the most sanctimonious clergy men and women around. It was entertaining broadcasting.

The only solace the miffed media got was the thought that it would be another month before the sole interview granted would be published in the second issue of My Magazine. By then nobody would be particularly interested.

However those spiteful media people under-estimated the instinctive competiveness of the mostly always cheerful and pleasant Jenni Giles.

Before crossing to Jersey, Jenni called the principal of the Moonglow Advertising Agency, her old friend, Snowy McKissock. He came out to reception to meet her as she arrived, greeting her warmly with a hug and kiss.

In the office Snowy sat back smiling.

"Your first issue has exploded into the market. We are getting calls of interest and I guess other agencies are getting similar calls."

"That's great, and a lot of that impact is linked to you dear Snowy. But now I'm here to ask you to help me thump the market yet again."

Snowy listened attentively and then replied.

"Yes we can double the size of your promo to eight-pages and increase the circulation from four hundred to eighty thousand - of course we can. But do you really want to do this? You will be in breach of contract that names Zephyr Media as the exclusive contractor for the pre-print work, printing, distribution and invoicing any of your magazines."

"Well I'd disagree with that. This is simply promotional material for the magazine and if Zephyr wishes to take me to court, then so be it. I'm a journalist/publisher, not a female wimp."

"Brave words Jenni. But it could cost you huge money if Zephyr sues and wins."

"Fuck Zephyr - I'm here to get this publication out. Could you kindly instruct your people to place just a single column photo of Lady Bolt on the front page where it already mentions samples of editorial content, and under it place a heading, 'I'll explain why I have come to my decision'."

"That, of course is a direct quote from my article."

"On page three begin the story with this heading: 'This sample of a late article coming to hand is an example of how My Magazine will involve itself in issues affecting women.'

"Got that?"

Snowy nodded. "By the way, I'm taping this conversation as I always do when talking business with clients."

"Oh dear."

"Is something wrong?"

"Not really, but earlier I think I've said fuck."

"You did but my tapes are only used to settle disputes. But it's a good lesson for you to act like a lady at all times," he smirked.

"Hmmm, well, moving on. Then place this photo Lady Barcote gave me to use of herself and two daughters. You will notice that one of the daughters looks slightly fat in the tummy but she's really quite large now; she's pregnant."

"Under that I want the heading, 'We Remain a Family', then this article with my by-line runs though and you can slot in any of the other photos you wish to fill out the article to four pages."

"Who took the photo of your talking to Lady Bolt?"

"Her daughter Marissa."

"Jesus you do manage to charm your way into situations. Do you want us to run a banner over the article heading, 'Exclusive'?"

"No the public knows that as we ran the original story."

"It's traditional to claim exclusivity."

"I know but one doesn't have to follow like Lemmings. My Magazine follows no one."

Snowy looked at his notes.

"Eighty bloody thousand selling for only two bucks is going to leave a huge hole in your pocket."

"Language Snowy - you're on tape!" she smirked.

"Sorry," was his automatic response.

"I want you to remove the stuff your creative people have on page two and three - it can be used in the next promo," said Jenni.

"And what do we put on that blank page?" he asked, puzzled.

"Use your imagination, Snowy. A very creative, classy double-spread advertisement would do nicely. You run an advertising agency; get one of your big spenders to take the space. Show them under sworn secrecy the article and a mock-up of the publication. I challenge you to get someone to pay really big money.

"Like what?"

"Like twenty grand."

"Oh crap Jenni. This is virtually a give-away promo. Advertisers don't pay for space in those."

"That's unwholesome language you bad boy. There will be at least one advertiser out there who will, Snowy, and I think you know that."

"I suppose you know that I and the printer could be enjoined with you in any action taken against you Jenni?"

"Yes, you have my guarantee that I will personally indemnify you and the printer against any court judgment for damages awarded against you and/or the printer."

"I accept that guarantee but the printer will want that in writing."

"Well use a printer who will accept your word for it. If none do then there's something wrong with the working relationship you have with them."

"Shi ... um, shivers, Jenni. You can be difficult to deal with at times."

"Oh really? Snowy darling I want this publication delivered in time to go on sale next Monday morning."

"Dammit Jenni that's impossible!"

"But you'll get the impossible done for me, won't you pet?"

"As soon as Rhonda gets to work this morning she will be printing out the addresses of on-sellers with the numbers to be bundled under each address plus a separate address list of single copy subscribers plus multiple-copy subscribers. She'll bring them over to you personally and wait to proof my article for me."

"Where will you be?"

"I'm off for into brief retreat now and tomorrow will be joined for a chin-wag with the brass from Zephyr Media."

"What about, do you know?"

"They smell money. They want me and My Magazine."

"Geeze will you sell?"

"Oh yes, but it's going to cost them because they'll also want me - I am the magazine if I may be permitted to say so."

"I reckon you should be running Zephyr."

"Well, there're two things against that dear Snowy. I would never roll Ron; I like him too much to do that and I'm a journalist. Sitting in boardrooms with men stuffed into suits too tight for them trying to tell me what to do is not for me. I work best when I'm a free spirit."

Snowy shook his head.

"You're amazing Jenni. Make sure you keep on distancing yourself from bad men. I wish I were a fly on the ceiling in that meeting room tomorrow."

Jenni looked at him thoughtfully.

"Look get yourself to Jersey tomorrow early and we'll return tomorrow afternoon, probably with them but leave the return arrangement to me. Here's the address and the meeting starts at 11:0. You've been a good pal and I've pushed you a bit today and so I'm happy to grant you your wish to be there. In fact, you can participate - there will be two of them."

"That's a nice thought, Jenni, and very kind of you. But I've got this agency to run, including handling this urgent work you've dumped on me. I cannot skip off to Jersey."

"Don't be a wimp sweetie. Bring your swim gear with you. We'll have a dip before lunch while they're crapping themselves over my terms and conditions. Bye and remember we commence at 11:00."

Snowy waved weakly to her at the door, knowing that he couldn't go to Jersey but then again knowing that he would.

* * *

Throughout that afternoon every couple of hours or so in Jersey Jenni read text messages on her mobile phone about demands for extra copies, requests from media people who wanted to interview her and feedback from people who'd contacted the office about their reaction to the magazine, almost all favourable plus taking calls from her staff.

She lay in the sun on the island, dozing, occasionally slipping into the pool to cool down. It was the first real rest she'd had for a long time. To relax completely she shed her swimsuit, knowing that she was completely alone.

A small cough brought her out of a doze, and there standing at the foot of her sun-loafer was an elderly, unshaven man, clutching a straw hat to his chest.