My Magazine Ch. 10

Story Info
Chapter 10.
8.8k words
4.78
5.8k
2
0

Part 10 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/26/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Editorial and editorial support staff of My Magazine began arriving up to an hour early the next morning in a panic, wondering how on earth they could get the second magazine out much quicker than scheduled.

"Don't worry, it's all taken care of," Jenni soothed as staff arrived for the scheduled meeting at 8:30.

Rhonda dashed in late appearing agitated. She had spent the night at her parent's farm.

"Jennie I tried and tried to phone you, but your phone was switched off. I called Ron but he didn't know your whereabouts. He then said he'd just seen a news item saying that you were putting out the next copy of the magazine any day now. I panicked because I haven't yet finished my column."

"Calm down - it will be a story included in a promotional publication."

"How are your folk?"

"They're behaving much better thanks. I laid down the law as soon as I got there, telling them to stop acting like children. They're agreed daddy can go the rally in Spain then go with mum to visit the relatives, and then he can go to the rally in Scotland while she kicks her heels up in Paris alone. They will meet again in London. The three of us rather drank too much after the ending of hostilities which is the reason why I am a bit late; I slept in."

"Well come into my office. I've got something really confidential to tell you and I mean it's absolutely confidential."

Rhonda listened wide-eyed. When Jenni had finished Rhonda said, "I hope that means I'll follow you upstairs."

"I'm afraid not," said Jenni. "The agreement states that all personnel with the exception of me transfer back to Zephyr maintaining their existing positions. I was very insistent about that."

Then seeing tears forming in Rhonda's eyes, Jenni hastily added, "Unless they choose to leave or ask for a transfer. What do you want to do?"

"I want to follow you," said Rhonda, dabbing her eyes.

"Good - then you will be promoted, but regrettably I must tell you it comes with an increase in salary."

"Oh Jenni," yelped Rhonda, rushing and hugging her.

Timothy poked his head around office divider. Seeing the two women embracing, he said dryly, "I see where columnist Rhoda gets the training from. Something big is on, isn't it?"

"You're a smart guy Timothy. What do you want?"

"Where're all gathered, waiting for you boss."

"Timothy."

"Sorry, I mean Jenni."

Jenni swept into the room, calling out, "Everyone loosen your bras and belts. Some of this stuff is heavy.

She told them about the promotional publication.

"That was very clever of you," Tina said. "I hear that Lord and Lady Barcote's eldest is pregnant."

"Yes and I've wrapped that up for us as a pictorial exclusive."

"Did you know that her other daughter - Clarissa or is it Marissa - and the youngest son the industrialist Michael and Michelle Fairbrother are all but engaged?" Ella asked.

"I'm afraid that might not eventuate because Marissa told me she'd got her eye on somebody on campus. She looks as if she's a bit of a goer."

"Like her father!"

"I didn't say that Timothy."

Rhonda encouraged Jenni to sip some water.

"Right, really loosen you bras and belts now team. I'm not going to beat around the bush. We're all heading back to Zephyr as soon as we've wrapped up our next issue."

There were gasps, and several of the staff looked shocked.

Timothy was telling everyone he knew something big was coming and Brenda was confirming that Timothy was so good at visualising the big picture. Jenni gave them a minute to get used to the idea.

"I'm sorry and I confess to being really a big winner out of this deal. I have got a big price for the masthead and I'm returning to Zephyr as joint managing director with Ron Wiggins. David is dropping his title of executive chairman to just chairman which is not a bad idea with the appointment of joint MD's."

"But I picked up some crumbs for you guys. You will all have the option of resigning on normal terms or returning to Zephyr and maintaining your present roles and terms of employment. But to cushion the upset of yet another shift you will receive a 7.5% percent salary increase, effective from the first day back at Zephyr. But be warned - you will be expected to put your body on the line for My Magazine."

Viv asked, "But it will lose its individuality and flair in slipping into the clutches of Zephyr Media Jenni.'

"Well that will be your problem to deal with Viv; you'll be editor."

"What!" shouted Viv, and others crowded around to congratulate her.

"Guys, don't get too carried away," Jenni warned. "It's not all roses. You're going back into a corporate structure if you choose to stay with me - albeit where you were before - but corporates have a reputation of milking too much away from successful publications to try to resuscitate failing ones. Even I may end up a casualty again."

"However, corporates have the resources and I believe that My Magazine will truly fly under Zephyr. You guys are handpicked for the job, and will be reinforced quite soon, so before the year's end I expect My Magazine will be totally acknowledge as the company's flagship publication."

"Any questions?"

Tim asked, "Will you continue taking a hands-on role with our magazine?"

"My interest will remain intense but as I except to receive a secondary title of director of magazine publications and thus my influence will be mainly consultative and trouble-shooting. Initially, of course, Rhonda and I will have to deal with the transfer of our roles to Viv and her new PA. By that comment you will have guessed that Rhonda has opted to come upstairs with me."

"Then that's why you and Rhonda were in a hot embrace in your office a few minutes ago, it wasn't a sexual thing? Timothy commented grinning wickedly.

"Brenda why don't you take charge of that sex-starved young man," Rhonda said fiercely. "Jests like that can become rumours."

"Yes Tim, put a sock in it," said Ali Roberts the photographer.

Timothy, looking slightly apprehensive at the nostril-flaring Rhonda, hastily said, "Apologies to everyone. In trying to be smart I over-stepped the mark."

"Can I really have him Jenni?" Brenda asked straight-faced.

"It's your call, Brenda Perhaps you could try a proposition."

"Yeah perhaps he could tighten my bra," she joked, and Rhonda looked a little more relaxed.

"Right let's get on with it," Jenni called. "Are there any more questions?

"Good and I guess more questions will come to you. Meanwhile let's get back to the magazine.

"Right now we are in a fabulous situation that few magazines ever experience. We've got readers panting to get their hands on our magazine. As a team we did exceptionally well with our first issue. I know some of you might think that I was mainly responsible for that by taking that huge risk in paying big bucks for the article on naughty Lord Barcote. But that's only part of it: anyone reading the first issue could see it reeked of freshness, quality and excellent writing and good display all the way through. A top-notch quality publication, thanks to you guys. Well done"

"I would like to pay special tribute to our greenhorn columnist Rhonda, I think that it's easily the most chit-chat gossip column in the country right now - real people talking about real things. Already I've seen young women reading that column together, laughing, pointing at things, getting into it absolutely. I saw the original so am aware of the sympathetic subbing it got from Timothy and I think Mae's graphic for the heading is a classic presentation. Congratulations."

Everyone clapped.

"Thank you. That is a lovely example of team spirit, and I guess we could sit here all morning dissecting the magazine and handing out accolades. I wish we had the time to do that, but we must press on. Incidentally, I phoned Ron Wiggins this morning and requested that an urgent start be made on the total renovation of our former premises and new desks and fittings installed. Our leased computers, printers etc. will go with us from here. We are a top shelf magazine and need to maintain a top shelf look including the way we dress - which also means our subeditors because public notables will be asked into your production centre - I anticipate you will see some very big VIPs in your midst as the magazine racks up its influence."

"Ron already has contractors out at Zephyr renovating the foyer and they were due to start on the staff cafeteria in a couple of days. Instead, in two days' time they will start on your department. Rhonda and I will start looking at layout this afternoon and I need your full input on that Viv. Please join us to go there at 2:00."

Jenni took a long drink of water and then asked, "How am I doing?"

"Well."

"Fine."

"Keep the revs up," was another call.

Jenni looked gratified.

"Now, our next issue."

"Before we go around the table taking ideas from everyone, I'd like Ella, Rae and you Brenda to do a 12-page spread with the working title of 'MP's Wives'. I'm pulling you off subbing to contribute, Brenda, because you excel at this sort of interviewing.'

"Ella it's your project to organize but I do want a cross-section of everything so we get at least one wife from all parties, variation of ages, working/not working, time of being a parliamentarian's wife and anything else you can think of to deepen the interest. Please include the wife of at least one Cabinet Minister."

"I won't tell you what questions to ask but obviously it's a follow up to the naughty Lord Barcote story. However, on no account should you refer to that story of Lord Barcote's misdeeds. If the women mention it as one of the pressures facing MPs when away from home, then fine."

"I suggest getting most of the wives within half a day's drive from here in all directions because we are a national magazine. Ali won't be able to be everywhere at once and Ella will have to approve of use of local photographers."

"Obviously they must all be wives currently living - when he's home - with their MP husband. I want them all photographed in their own homes not in rented or Government allocated premises here in London. Oh and to fend off criticism please we'll drop in an interview of just one husband or male partner of one female MP."

"Timothy I want you to take everything they file away somewhere quiet and re-write it into a tightly worded, sensitively written final report, freely using the quotes and reporter's comments but pulling everything together under your own distinctive style. You'll get the by-line as compiler, and the others will be named as the reporters with a thumbnail illustration of each writer beside their name. Photographic credits will go in seven point with each photo and Mae will be named as the designer."

"Well, that's it," Jenni said and called for questions.

Brenda asked if she could do the most northern interview because she could then visit her parents briefly as they lived near The Borders. She was told to put that request to Ella the team leader.

Writer Rae Inwood asked was the emphasis to be on their fear of their husband's possible infidelity in being alone in London. Jenni replied no more than their wife's own fear of slipping into a liaison out of loneliness. But there were other issues, such as children going long periods without seeing their father and if the wives flitted between a house in or near their electorate and accommodation in London what management problems did they experience.

"When you and Ella start discussing this obvious questions will loom large to you."

Ali Roberts, the photographer suggested that other magazines might well be doing the same sort of article.

Jenni agreed and said therefore it was necessary for My Magazine's story to be the superior in every way to any rival feature.

Jenni called a brief break, asking everyone to bring a drink back to the table.

"Rhonda," Jenni said, when content discussion resumed. "May I suggest you confine each of your columns to a theme. Otherwise there is a danger of too many people being quoted as saying similar things that could begin to make future columns appear a tad tedious."

Rhonda agreed, and asked for suggestions.

They came instantly, and included safe sex, choosing boyfriends, hair colouring, shaving, choice of knickers for different activities, nail care, make up with sun screen content, the fear of menopause, attitude towards continual involvement in sport throughout life, a what do you have in your handbag photo-story survey, favourite alcoholic drink, greatest fear, most embarrassing sex experience, does size matter, pill popping ..."

"That's enough for the time being and thanks," Rhonda smiled, taking notes.

"Right," said Jenni. "Please tell us about your office girls spread Tina."

"We've picked up reasonably cheaply from a reputable agency in the USA this photographic feature called 'Office Girls of Brazil', Tina said. "The agency has checked out the background of the photographer and found that he's done work for numerous world-class magazines and the president of the photographic society named as one of the referees verified that the photographer was president of that society back in the 1990s, and faxed supporting documentation."

"Jenni and I have decided to publish and to deal with the consequences if this photographic series is exposed as a prank. It was made available only days ago and these photos arrived in this morning's mail."

She began passing around the photographs. "As you can see, every one of these women could easily win a beauty contest. They are magnificent."

The girls in their early twenties were sitting at computers, operating photo-copiers, chatting in corridors, serving coffee to executives and in one instance the young woman with extremely shapely legs was bending over from the waist - in dignified fashion - picking up toys in a child's play area.

"Brazil is known for its lovely young women - what's unusual about this?"

Tina was glad to be asked that question.

"They all work in the one office - all eight of them. It's a law firm comprising three aged lawyers and two semi-qualified matrons. Here's a photo showing all thirteen people plus their young and extremely plump female office cleaner."

"We think it's great," said Jenni. "It underpins our decision to ask agencies for samples of material off the beaten track to allow us to avoid duplication of material used by our competitors."

"I can do a heading for Mae for the layout, 'Office Girls of Brazil - Unbelievable!' Timothy. "We should use big pictures and then, finish on a right-hand page with this heading, 'Turn the Page and Be Amazed!' Then on flip side is the big group picture with the heading, 'All Work Together!' Then a small story below the photo saying it's amazing that these eight stunning beauties all work in the same office in Brazil etc.

"It won't please all of our readers, especially those over supplied with male hormones or an addiction to ugliness," Ella warned.

"True," said Tina, "but we don't aim to please everyone. Cheesecake with a good angle satisfies many readers. This spread, I believe, has it all!"

"Right," said Jenni, clapping her hands. "Time to knuckle down but I'll take one more question or comment."

"I will regret leaving this spot - it's so much better than being lost in South London," said Mae the designer.

"Agreed," said Ali the photographer.

"Well, I can't imagine you'd want to relocate yet again and come back here, but talk to me about it when you've settled in again at the headquarters of Zephyr Media. You never know, Mae and Ali, you may then push a button that might cause most of the company to relocate."

Others around the tabled groaned at Jenni's comment, imagining yet another relocation.

After dealing with her mail and clearing her phone calls after the meeting, Jenni went to find Nico. He refused to carry a mobile phone, his attitude being "if people want me they'll find me".

She found him out in the yard emptying a tin of cat food on to a piece of cardboard, watched some distance away by two moggies.

"You'll have us over-run with kittens Nico."

"Isn't that better than being over-run with mice and rats?"

"True."

"What do you want, Jenni? It must be serious otherwise you would have sent Rhonda to look for me."

"I'll have to pull my operation out of here Nico but still running from here to the end of my second month. I'm sorry about this."

"I am too. It's not the money. I've liked having you and the chicks around the place. It's given life to this area. But you'll remain here for the rest of the second month you say?"

"Yes. But we need to chat about the future. Can we go somewhere for coffee?"

"Leo's down the incline on the left about 300 yards from here and it's called Leo's. He's my son-in-law. I'll meet you there in ten minutes, okay?"

"Good and I'll wander down now because I've got some thinking to do."

Jenni sat at an outside table at Leo's, the umbrella shading her from the bright mid-morning sun. She was deep in thought but heard the question.

"Hello, coffee and a bacon sandwich I presume?"

"Goodness you have a fabulous memory," laughed Jenni. "It must be almost a month since I was here."

"Well the way your handed that situation when you were last here takes some forgetting but anyway, I know who are you - Jenni Giles. I've seen you on TV."

"And I remember you - bored and hoping to get an interesting job. Obviously you haven't found one. What are your qualifications?"

"I completed business studies then began a degree in sports administration but during my practical work at different locations I found I seemed to attract too many sports hunks with inflated egos or skinny little men who seemed to walk about in long raincoats. It was altogether weird and not my scene, really. So I went looking for a job as PA to some tycoon but without success, and indeed couldn't even get into their word processing pools. It seems you have to go through agencies but I prefer to make my own choice

"Are you genuinely qualified?"

"Yes."

"Would you be good as a PA?"

"Yes if I liked the guy."

"What time do you have a lunch break?"

"We don't really have one; we work right through but can drift off from about three o'clock."

Jenni handed the waitress her card.

"If you feel like it, come down after 3:00 today and I'll introduce you to my assistant editor, who is about to be promoted and will need a vibrant PA. Let's see what she thinks."

"Thanks Mrs Giles. This is wonderful. I'll do that. Oh, this is so exciting."

Nico heard that exchange.

"She's not married Gina, and everyone calls her Jenni."

"Oh, hi Nico - so you two know each other?"

"Of course," replied Nico. "I know every woman who matters."

Jenni said, "And you two know each other, obviously?"

"Yes," said Nico proudly. "Gina's my granddaughter. Leonardo Rossini her father is married to my Vasanti and they own this restaurant.

"I should have guessed. It's such a small world isn't it?"

"I'm going to Jenni's office this afternoon to be interviewed about a job that's coming up."

"But Jenni knows me - you won't need an interview. She'll accept my word for it that you are good."

Jenni shook her head and smiled.

"An interview is required Nico. The job is with a member of staff who must make the assessment, not you or me."

"But Jennie this is my granddaughter," he appealed. "She is twenty and without a real job."

"Leave it Nico," said his granddaughter. "We are not dealing with family connections here and Jenni has explained the situation well. Would you also like a bacon sandwich?"

"Can you do that when it's not on the menu?"

"When I tell Kitchen that Jenni Giles is here with a guest and she wants two bacon sandwiches and they'll jump and do it pretty damn quick."