My Take On September 11th

Story Info
An author's take on September 11th.
596 words
4.07
11.3k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My take on the September 11 thing? Thanks, I thought you'd never ask.

I don't think this is exclusively about Americans; it's about people in general.

For example -- what motivates certain groups to hold a deep hatred of all things American?

Is it our foreign policy? Perhaps there are people who don't like the method in which we go about maintaining world order or the ways we go about it. They may not like the world order itself.

Is it our callous disregard for all things not American? For instance, I barely knew Canada existed before I logged on to the 'Net. I was hardly aware of provinces such as British Columbia, Alberta, Nova Scotia, and Ontario. Oh sure, I knew they existed -- on a map -- but I wasn't aware that there were people up there. Intelligent caring people at that.

Is it our economic policies? I kinda don't think so, although we have a considerable amount of weight to throw around in that area.

You know what I think it is? I simply think that it has become fashionable to hate America. It's been fashionable for a while now. They say we're corrupt, they say we're heathens, they say we're ungodly. And they have a point to a degree.

But do they have the right to assert their moral rationale on us? I should think not.

I believe another factor is the underdog syndrome. No one likes to see the New York Yankees win the World Series every year. (Well, I must confess -- I do, because I happen to be a Yankees fan) And no one likes to see America doing reasonably well. Well, besides Americans, I guess.

Another big factor is our alliance with Israel. The equation goes something like this: We're on their side, hence, we must be against their side. And the attack came from "praise be to Allah" extremists.

I'd guess that all (or most) of you are familiar with the 'Net applet ICQ. On one of my accounts, I'm available for random messages. My introduction message reads:

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't, and a day without sunshine is like, you know, night. Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice, and, you know, while I'm being profound, on the other hand, give me ambiguity or give me something else...

I'll talk to anyone, save the racists, boors, and the rude people who lurk the 'Net...

And sorry that I don't have a lame come-on, ladies...it just ain't me =- )

As you might imagine, I get quite a few bites on that message. The notes that are of the most interest to me are the messages that come from Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and other countries in the Middle East. They seem to think that all Americans drive Cadillacs or SUVs, all eat and drink what we want, that we all reside in large houses, and that we are all clothed well.

As any American will tell you, that is simply not the case.

My conclusion? I haven't one. I'm as confused as you are, if not more so. I don't particularly think that sentimental chest-thumping calls for a renewed nationalism will do anything, but what do I know? And am I so misled to propose a solution for a problem that goes back quite a ways? Simply put? Nope.

I'll leave you with a quote from Graham Nash:

"Treat your children well/


their father's hell/


will slowly go by..."