Negative Space Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
_bloom_
_bloom_
224 Followers

Anya's story was surprising. It was sort of like the first time you realize that your grandparents were once children too--bizarre to think that someone so aloof and impenetrable had an origin, and at that start that person had not been as strong or invincible as she now seemed. She smiled and grabbed my hand. "Now you're changing my life even further. Who knew that today I would sit at the same table as the Prince? Who could have guessed I would have seen him stared down by a human? Bowed to a human's will? I love it." She grinned now, and squeezed my hand. I began to giggle, the tension breaking so quickly I was overwhelmed with laughter. The two of us laughed until we cried, heaving breaths and collapsing into our seats.

**********

I returned to my apartment and began to take stock. Of all this stuff, what was important? What would I need? I quickly packed up a small bag of clothing, my scrubs, my lab coat, and my other medical supplies. Speculum, stethoscope, extra box of gloves, fetascope, and so on. I packed up my medical books, my computer, my journals, and my photo albums. No television, no telephone. Did I need bedding? Should I bring towels? The hugeness of my decision suddenly hit me. I knew it was what I had to do, but how would it feel never to go back home to my parent's house again? Never getting to talk to Eliana again? They would all think I was dead--did I want that? They would think I had been kidnapped, raped, killed, who knows. They'd probably think I had it coming for moving to such a sketchy neighborhood so far from all the luxuries I'd had laid at my feet my whole life. Did I have the strength to let them think the worst?

I called up Eliana and just chatted with her about her new boyfriend, her job, Tom, and a new guy I mentioned that I'd met.

"Oh my god, Lana! What does he look like? Did you fuck him? What was it like? How'd you meet him? Oh oh tell me everything!"

I laughed. Eliana was just what I needed when I wanted to giggle about nothing and act like a fool. "Oh, let me tell you. It. Was. Fucking. Unbelievable. I have never come so hard in my life! You have no idea the things he did to me."

"Is he cute?!"

"Oh my god he is beautiful. He's got brown wavy hair, scruffy beard, you know my type. He looks like he should be a model. And he's rich, too!"

We gossiped for an hour before she had to go. Before she got off the phone I told her I loved her, and missed her. She was silent a moment. "Do you think you'll come back soon Lana? I miss you too. It's really hard doing all this on my own without my best friend."

"Oh Elie, I miss you so much. I hope so. I really do. Now go, I'm sure you've got way too much work to be sitting here and giggling with me."

"I do, it's true. Okay. Well be safe, dearest. I love you too!"

After I got off the phone I laid back on my bed. It was hard to know that was the last time I'd talk to her. But I was ready. I set back to packing, and called my parents and Tom to say good bye. They all seemed surprised that I called, and did their best to pressure me into coming back. I told them I loved them and got off the phone.

The next day I spent clearing out my bank account, leaving my roommates checks for rent and utilities, and settling as much debt as I could. Even though it was my day off I went around to the kids' house. Allison, their mother, opened the door, surprised.

"Can I help you Lana?" She asked. Always one to make others feel right at home I thought, and chuckled.

"Yes, I have some presents for the kids. Can I come in to see them?"

"Alright, but we're leaving for lessons in half an hour." She stepped out of the way and I found the kids in the living room. I doled out the presents--my favorite books went to Ellen, my fancy watch went to Lyall, and my beloved childhood dolls went to Annie. I hugged them tightly, and explained that I wasn't going to be coming back anymore. When I turned around I saw Allison staring at me.

"Is there something you'd like to tell me Lana?" She asked.

"Yes. I quit. You cannot treat employees the way that you have treated me, no matter your class difference. Just so you know, my mother is a congresswoman, my father a lawyer, and I am an MD. Not that it matters, but since you never bothered to ask, I thought you would like to know. Also, your children accidentally call me Mom sometimes. I would encourage you to try spending more time with them if you really want to know them or be part of their lives.

***********

_bloom_
_bloom_
224 Followers
12