New Kingdom: Australian Court Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MicKay
MicKay
639 Followers

Where should she start? Food. Nutrition must be an important process for a human life. The thought of feeding immediately caused a burning sensation in her throat. "There will be none of that," she told herself as she searched for the guest dining area. Ignoring her normal craving, she overlooked the electrical sensation that had almost become normal.

Finding the buffet was quite easy. The aromas of the finely prepared delicacies had Abigail's stomach roaring in anticipation. When she entered the room, she paused for a second to appreciate the selection of meats, vegetables, and breads displayed under glass or atop flaming warmers.

Starting at the roasted beef, she placed a small piece on her plate and moved to the next. Curiosity beckoned to her so she popped a tempting piece into her mouth. Moaning in appreciation she grabbed another. And another. She quickly moved down the buffet grabbing, biting and chewing. She had forgotten all about the abandoned plate with the one small slice of meat until she felt the electrical sensation moved through her body. Turning slowly she faced the source of that sensation.

Alex stood in the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest and resting his shoulder casually against the frame. His eyes were opened wide while his lips were pressed together. For a moment, Abigail wondered if he was terrified of the scene in front of him until she caught sight of the dimple in his cheek.

"What?" she demanded through a mouthful of food and then turned her back to chew quickly.

"What?" he repeated in feigned innocence.

"As much as I enjoyed your feast of wild game, that was yesterday and I'm starving today."

"I'm sure you are but the main dining room has the stuff you're probably looking for."

"Blood?" she asked and waited for his nod. "I'm fine here."

"But you need ...."

"You don't know everything about me," she snapped popping another prawn into her mouth. "Right now, I need real food. Oh god."

"What?" he asked moving into the room. "Abs, what's wrong?"

"I think that shrimp was bad. Now that I think about it, maybe they all were," she added with a helpless smile. "I was eating too fast to notice."

"Here," Alex said moving beside her. "Sit down."

"No. I, uh.... I need to...oh no." Following the direction he pointed, Abigail fled the room and crossed the hall quickly finding the bathroom. Within seconds, her gluttony was rejected and flushed down the drain. She remained on the floor until she heard the soft knock on the door.

"Abs. Are you ok?"

"No. I'm dying," she answered crawling to the sink to rinse her mouth. Looking in the mirror, she cringed at the sight of her face. Her eyes were watery and dark against her very pale skin. Being human sucked. With a snarl at her reflection, Abigail grabbed the handle and opened the door to walk right into a very familiar chest. Hesitating for only a minute, she surrendered to the warm embrace as his arms wrapped around her body.

"Come on baby," he whispered against her hair. "Let's get you what you need."

Disgusted with herself for a hundred reasons, Abigail let him guide her through the corridor and into another room. The elegant décor of the dining room seemed almost comical when only one thing was served in this room. Alex gently led her to a chair and then moved to the large buffet arrayed with a variety of crystal. She cringed when he hesitated before grabbing a bottle and glass.

Alex turned and stopped when he saw the tears silently falling over her cheeks. Moving quickly into the chair next to her, he pulled her close.

"Should I get your mother?"

"No."

"Ok then drink up. You'll feel better."

Nodding her head, Abigail kept her eyes down and reached for the glass. "You, uh, you don't have to stay for this."

"It's ok."

"It's not ok," she snapped pulling away but keeping her eyes down. "This is what I am. I didn't choose it but there's nothing I can do to change."

"Maybe I don't want you to change," he said grabbing the bottle and filling her glass with the dark liquid. "Maybe I like who you are."

"You don't know everything about me," she whispered looking at him.

"So you've said," he said lifting the glass to her lips. "But I'm willing to learn."

He watched her accept the glass and drink slowly. Hoping the nourishment and meaning of his words would instantly improve her spirits, he was speechless when she immediately grimaced and started crying. Her silent tears quickly changed to loud sobs.

Alex wondered what the hell was wrong with her. Then he wondered why the hell he remained motionless. Just as he lifted his hand, he felt the force of freight train plow into his body. Flying across the room, he crashed against the wall barely missing the crystal bearing buffet. He opened his eyes prepared for the sight of his attacker.

Black eyes boring into his revealed the anger of the man before him. No words could explain his innocence. No time would be allowed for explanation. Then Alex reminded himself, he was not innocent. He had been warned and he had still acted. And he had no regrets. Finally admitting the truth to himself, he acknowledged that he had no regrets because he would do it again. Staring at the face of his executioner, he knew that he would die with only one regret. He would never be able to tell her.

Fighting panic, Alex held out his hand and started to speak when an angel intervene.

"Gabe," Alena said moving between the two men. "Gabe, look at me. You can't do this," she said softly placing her palm to her mate's face. "This is beyond us."

"Then why is she crying?" he yelled.

"She's not feeling well," Alena quickly answered. With a look at her daughter, she then turned to Alex. "Only he can help her now. "

Gabriel turned away from his mate and moved to Abigail's side. Without a word, he simply touched his daughter's wet cheek and nodded. He reached for Alena's hand and together they moved out of the room.

"Oh god, Alex," Abigail said moving to his side. "I'm so sorry. Are you ok?"

"Yeah," he answered with a grin. "I guess you could say that I got some sense knocked into me."

"What are you talking about? Do you have a brain injury?"

"No, I'm fine. I just realized that I shouldn't take chances and delays."

"What?"

"I shouldn't wait to tell you how I feel," he explained trying to sit up straight. "But I will confess, I'd rather not had your father whipped my ass the minute before I tell you that I love you."

***

The brothers of the New Kingdom had paused when the confrontation had begun. Thankful that a wise mate had been able to reason with Gabriel, the brothers silently chuckled at their brother's plight and continued their previous activities.

Antony sighed as he moved his hands beneath his head and stretched in the bed. The slight weight of his mate resting against his chest made him smile. He wondered how he had found comfort and happiness when everything he had known was changing. Freeing his hand, he trailed his fingers down her bare back and chuckled when she shivered.

"Don't you believe in giving a girl a rest?" Emma asked.

"No," he answered pulling her up to straddle his body. "But if you insist, I'll count the miserable years that I waited for you as a rest and not demand payment for them."

"So," she said as she rose on her knees, "I get twenty four years' mercy."

"No love," he explained aligning his body beneath hers, "more like thousands of years. I can feel every minute of them now that I have you. I can't believe that I never understood this before now."

Emma kissed him gently as she slowly sank her hips down to meet his. Feeling him within her caused her to pause and close her eyes. She remained still for a second and then said, "Antony, please demand payment. I think after twenty four years of loneliness, I will enjoy paying restitution."

She giggled when he bucked beneath her and then shrieked when he flipped her beneath him. In the privacy of their room, they felt secluded from the world. But in that world, evil had realigned its forces and moved closer to their temporary seclusion.

***

Gregorii sat quietly waiting for Matthias' verdict. He mentally scolded himself for desiring the approval of the wicked advisor but he knew that he could not accomplish his goal alone. Watching the older man, Gregorii cringed at the expressions that ranged from nonchalance to pity.

"Your goal is, well, interesting," Matthias began. "And while the initial attack has its merit, the plan of execution is deplorable."

"Why?" Gregorii demanded. "Do you have a better plan?"

"Consider the results of every step, dear boy. You will lose many. Expendable servants, I know," he added before Gregorii could interrupt. "But will they be able to complete the task? I don't think so. No, especially with your new target, they would certainly not succeed."

"I will not change my mind about her."

"Of course not. No, no, I would never suggest such a thing. Actually, I admire your taste even if it is suicidal."

"You think I will fail?"

"Only if you pursue your desire like a spoiled child crying for a sweet," the advisor explained. "Let's consider the threat, and yes, he is definitely a threat. Now, how can we remove that threat?"

"Is there a way?"

"Absolutely! We need to confuse his focus."

"How?"

"Deceit, of course. How else could any of this exist?"

"So you have a plan."

"Unlike the Trojan Horse, we will invade their camp as a friend amongst enemies. But before we continue, you and I need to amend our agreement."

"What did you have in mind?"

"One that will be eternally profitable for both of us. Since you have changed the object of your affection, I now want what you no longer desire."

***

Remembering his father's warnings, Joshua escorted Nola into the house and safely to their rooms. Too many vampires now roamed the property for him to take chances on his mate's life. When she excused herself to take a shower, he sat on the couch and contemplated the changes in his life. He could no longer remember the boyish interest he had only days ago. But for the life of him, he had no idea where his future was leading him.

Resting against the back of the couch, he listened to the water massaging against the skin of his love. He wondered if she would object if he accompanied her. Their lives had taken a different path than either of them had planned and soon they would need to discuss it. It. What a strange word to give a treasure. He focused beyond the sound of water, the simple tune that she hummed and listened to the little life within her.

For a moment, he considered what her reaction would be. Had he incorrectly assumed that her love for him would make her happy with the news? Or would her desire to change make her regret this delay in being with him eternally? With a smile, he knew that she would happy. Probably be all girly and get into an unyielding huddle with Abigail as they compared their experiences.

So why not tell Nola now? He listened to the rapid heartbeat and admitted the truth. He enjoyed solely possessing the knowledge for now. It belonged to him alone and not shared with a twin, all other vampires or even a mate. Confessing that he was being selfish, he stood to go to her and stopped when she walked into the room.

Wrapped in a simple white robe, Nola held a towel to her head as she squeezed water from her hair. She looked at him with her large dark eyes and smiled. Joshua stared at her face and forgot why he was so enthralled with a tiny heartbeat. It was hers that made his quicken pace. He opened his mouth to speak when a scream pierced the night.

"Stay here," he commanded moving to the door. "Stay away from the windows and lock the door."

Joshua ran through the house following the sounds of a woman's shriek. The house had come alive and guards were moving everywhere but all were finding an exit to the outside. Following others, he stepped into the night and stopped when he saw the winged creatures dipped from the dark sky.

Searching for the source of the scream, he realized that the flying monsters were making the noise. He looked around and realized that he was now standing with the guards and brothers of the New Kingdom leaving the women alone in the house.

"What the hell?" Alex said joining the group.

"The women," Joshua said as he turned to re-enter the house. A terrified scream stopped him. The female cry for help that pierced his heart could not have been made by the creatures. Just when he turned, he felt his core shaken with another scream of pain as his twin silently fought her attackers.

"Abigail," he said to Alex pointing to the left as he fled to the right.

"Where are you going?" Alex demanded.

"They have Nola."

Joshua ran as fast as he could though he felt like he was barely moving. A sense of relief swept through him when Edward and Conlaoch sped past him toward the sound of his mate crying. Rounding the side of the house, he stopped at the sight before him.

***

Alex quickly followed the direction Joshua had pointed wondering if he was making a mistake. Then he felt them. Her electric jolt nearly took his breath away but the overpowering sense of vampires made his heart sink. She was in trouble. And he was unarmed. Running faster, Alex turned the corner and nearly slammed into Abigail as she fought against her attackers.

"Alex?" she asked and then screamed.

The arrival of human blood was too much temptation for the creatures to resist. They quickly moved away from Abigail and leaped toward Alex. He felt the impact of the first as he was knocked to the ground.

"Abigail, run," he commanded and then screamed in pain as one tore into the flesh of his arm. He bit his tongue as another gouged into his thigh and then laughed with its childlike shrill. Praying that he would die quickly, he felt a wave a nausea overtake him after he heard the bones in his left arm snap.

As quick as they struck, they were immediately gone. Alex struggled against the darkness listening for signs of the next attack. He wondered how he could hear bones breaking and yet feel no pain. To his surprise, a small hand tapped his cheek as a small body straddled his hips.

"Wake up love."

"This is really becoming embarrassing," he groaned.

"Well let's see if I can heal your damaged male ego," Abigail replied as she moved down his body.

Ripping his jeans, she found the wound on his thigh, gave him a wink and moved her mouth close to his skin. She quickly swept her tongue over the bloody gash releasing the healing venom into the wound. The flow instantly staunched as the skin puckered around the tear. When she was sure that his worst injury was healed, she placed a gentle kiss on his thigh and moved back to straddle his body.

"You know you could change and we wouldn't have to keep doing this," she said.

"Ah, but you would have to experience it from my perspective to appreciate just how much I like playing doctor with you."

"Playing doctor?"

"I'll explain later," he said. Abigail quickly leaped to her feet and offered her hand to Alex for assistance. He waved her off until the first stab of pain made him wince. "I thought you healed me."

"No, just closed the wound."

"Is this your way of benching me? Keeping me out of the fight?"

"No. It's my way of showing others that you came to my rescue. Unarmed therefore, not unscathed. Remember, I was healing your male ego. Apparently I did an outstanding job," she replied and walked away.

"Wait," he said limping after her. "Wait a damn minute." When she turned to him, he stopped and shrugged.

"You're welcome," she said with a smile. When he joined her, they slowly walked back to the entrance of the house and stopped at the sound of a scream.

***

Joshua was paralyzed in terror as he watched the scene before him. Two winged creatures held Nola high off the ground laughing as they took turns torturing the young girl.

"Where the hell is Gabriel?" Conlaoch demanded.

"Protecting our mates," Edward answered quietly. "I don't know what to do."

"We can't get her," Conlaoch said. "Maybe... if we could hit them..."

"No," Joshua said. "She could die."

"She would be injured but she could be changed," Conlaoch answered. "Decide boy before they leave nothing for you to save."

A sound from the trees forced them to turn and see the army of vampires flying towards them. With a groan, Edward moved to face the attackers while commanding Philip and his guards to destroy every creature. Conlaoch grasped Joshua by the shoulder to get his attention.

"They are killing her boy," he yelled. "Decide."

Joshua nodded as Conlaoch unsheathed a sword. Reading himself to catch Nola's falling body, he cringed when her attackers twisted her torso certainly damaging her spine and other internal organs. Watching Conlaoch preparing to throw his blade, Joshua was startled when his mother was suddenly thrown into his arms.

"Protect her with your life," Gabriel demanded and then ran towards Nola and her assailants. "Conlaoch, now!" he commanded as he leaped into the air. With quick reflexes, he pulled one of the creatures away and tossed the beast into the stone wall of the house. The impact shattered every bone of the winged monster.

After releasing his hold on the attacker, Gabriel pulled Nola close to body as he gently fell to the ground. He cradled her close knowing that she would not survive another injury. When he felt the ground beneath his feet, he placed the girl in the soft grass and turned to his son. Shock had paralyzed the boy but now was not the time to remain immobile.

"Joshua, turn her. Now!" he said reaching out and pulling his son close. "She will not last another minute."

Joshua dropped to his knees and lifted the lifeless body against his chest. Her face, grimaced with pain, barely resembled the peaceful beauty she had been only a few moments ago. He leaned close and whispered, "I'm sorry," and quickly sank his teeth into her neck. After one swallow, he felt her heart's rhythm falter. Sealing the wound, he bit his wrist and held the open vein over her lips.

Watching the liquid disappear down Nola's throat, Joshua suddenly panicked and searched for his father. Only then did he become aware of the battle being fought around him. He searched again for his father and quickly found the warrior destroying anything that venture into his path. A small bundle beneath Gabriel's left arm assured Joshua that his mother was in the safest place possible.

Gently, he lifted his small mate and raced through the courtyard hoping to find safety in their rooms. Entering their apartment, he stepped into their bedroom and quickly exited when he saw the glass and blood as evidence of Nola's attack. He moved to the room formerly occupied by Abigail and tenderly laid Nola on the bed.

A small voice scolded him for abandoning the others fighting in the night but common sense reminded him that nothing matter if his Nola died. He waited listening for the end of human life and hoping that he had not failed her. Again.

As always, the battle ended soon enough with his father leading his brothers to another quick victory. Joshua could sense the return of order as some of his people returned to the house. And then he felt the calm and knew he was not alone. Turning towards the door, he faced the only person who could help him now. And yet, he had no idea what his mother could possibly say or do to help.

***

"Damn it! How many of these little fuckers are there?" Edward demanded. "Am I finally getting old or are they getting stronger?"

"Yes and yes," Antony teased walking to them. "But we had some help. Isn't he yours?"

MicKay
MicKay
639 Followers