New Life Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Because you need to eat and get a little more fresh air," he said as he left me in the bedroom. "And call your dad."

I grabbed my phone off the dresser and headed back outside, smirked when I saw another beer and my smokes on the table. My first sip down, cigarette lit, I called my father. I didn't know his cell so I took a chance on my old house number. I didn't think about the fact that his wife might answer but she picked up before I could disconnect.

"Jones, Sinclair residence," she said in her high pitched tone, and I was immediately reminded of how much I hated her voice. "Hello...Hello..."

"Uhh yeah...Ms. Pru...my Dad home?" I heard her breath catch, then a long silence before she hung up on me. Any anxiety I felt at the possibility of speaking to her turned to anger as I hit redial. I wasn't a kid anymore and I would gladly reciprocate any disrespect she doled out twofold. It rang twice and she wasn't as cheery when she answered. Even left out the formal greeting.

"Hello," she said and I could feel the disgust in her tone.

"That's about the last time you disrespect me in my father's house Prudence," I said quietly and I heard her gasp. But she didn't hang up. "If I knew his number I wouldn't be calling, last thing I want is to talk to your ignorant ass. Now put my father on the phone."

"He ain't here," she snapped, but she still didn't hang up.

"That's all you had to say in the first place." I told her and hung up, but just as I laid it down on my lap, it rang. I checked the number and sucked my teeth as I answered. "What do you want?"

"Neville," I heard my father say, his tone equally agitated. "You just call here?"

"Yeah but she said you wasn't there..."

"I heard...I'm sitting right here," he said and I heard her talking loud in the background about "that heathen calling the house". "Sorry about that. Wish you would have called my phone."

"I would have if I had the number...Hol up Pop my other line."

"That's me click over," he said and I did, to hear him giving his wife the business. "...ain't about to let you between us no more..."

"Pop," I said with a smirk. I didn't want to cause any discord in his home life but it was nice to hear my father stand up for me. For us. "Don't worry about it. It's not that serious."

"Maybe for you," he said and I heard a door close. "How you doing son? Home I take it?"

"Pretty good...Yeah I'm home now."

"Good, good. I'm glad to hear it boy. How'd the move go," he asked innocently and I laughed.

"Well I guess. He's going back to work next week and going to see somebody sometime soon. Thanks for the idea," I told him and he sucked his teeth.

"Just doing my fatherly duty is all," he said nonchalantly but I could hear his appreciation for my gratitude. "I just want you to be happy Neville and you can't be if your...uhhh... partner isn't. I ignored you and your well being too long..."

"I know Pop I know," I said, cutting off his apology. I'd had enough of that, now I just wanted to see if we could have a normal relationship. "So how's things with you?"

"In a word, tense," he said with a chuckle and I laughed. "But you let me worry about that. If she go, she go, ain't much I can do about it. Mac insists I cut my losses but I can't just kick her out."

"Well there is this thing called divorce Pop. Don't know if you heard of it," I said and he laughed. "I'm mean I'm saying why be unhappy. It's not like back in the day. Folks is dating in old folks homes..."

"Aight now, boy, you pushing it," my father said but he was still laughing. "But I hear what you saying. Mac's told me much of the same, just sounds better coming from somebody my own age I guess."

"I just want you to be happy Pop, same as you want for me. I love you Pop."

"Yeah I love you too son. I'll come by and visit with you in a few days. Let yall get... uhh...situated," he said and I smiled at his implication.

"Yeah, just call first aight."

"Why you think I ain't rushing over there now," he said with a chuckle. "Aight son, I'll talk to you."

"Aight Pop, later."

Brion came out almost on cue, with a big smile on his face. He'd been listening by the door but he wasn't one to admit it. He deposited a styrofoam container on my lap and sat down beside me. I nearly jumped out of my chair when I popped the top to find coconut shrimp tacos, maduros, and rice and beans. He winked at me when I looked over at him, disbelief plan on my face.

"Gianni said he'll be by tomorrow with Ty. I told him come through tonight but he said and I quote, 'Why so yall can make me feel awkward with your love?'."

"That sounds about right," I said with my mouth full and Brion shook his head. "I kinda wanted to be alone anyway. Our first night at home."

"I like the way you say that."

"What?"

"Home...sounds good," he said with that grin of his and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah we'll see how long that last when I start leaving my draws on the floor," I said and he laughed.

"Won't be no different than when we was in school..."

"Can't pile all my dirty laundry on the bed. It's yours too now remember," I said with a raised eyebrow and he looked up as if he were contemplating that very fact.

"Fuck!"

We finished eating without another word, stealing glances at each other every now and then. The same thought was in both our heads I'm sure. We were really doing this. Shacking up. Playing house. And I wasn't the least bit worried about it anymore. We hadn't talked about our relationship since I woke up from surgery, there wasn't really any need. I was comfortable, for once in my life. The fact that he was so sure helped a little. That was how it had always been between us, him diving headlong into everything and me following questioningly behind. Why should now be any different?