Next Time

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
trigudis
trigudis
724 Followers

Burrell defended his not guilty plea by testifying that he was home when these things took place. Because he lived alone, he could call no witnesses to vouch for him. "Sure, I was mad as hell at Mr. Carp," he admitted. "But I'm innocent. That's not me in that video. I've never even been to his house, much less messed with his tires and smashed his car window."

Harry crossed his fingers, hoping for an acquittal. Then, after giving his reasons, Judge Watts pronounced Jonathan Alan Burrell guilty of trespassing and malicious destruction of property.

Harry looked down and shook his head. Then he bolted up from his seat and began walking toward the trial table, his right arm raised the way students do in class. "Your Honor, this man is innocent," he started to say.

"Young man, you're out of order," Judge Watts shouted. "Now sit down."

"Respectfully Your Honor, it was me who did those things," Harry pressed on, standing a few feet from the trial table, looking up at the judge. "I flattened Mr. Carp's tires and broke his window." Turning to Carp, he said, "And it was me who wrote those phony letters. Me, the banger of parking meters. Me, who you see fit to bully and antagonize for reasons known only to your arrogant, pompous self."

Carp grinned and shrugged as if he was clueless, while near pandemonium broke out. Guards moved in to apprehend Harry, who stuck his hands out and crossed his wrists. "Go ahead, arrest me. I deserve it."

Judge Watts called a mistrial, then charged Harry with contempt. Hours later, he was released on his own recognizance. The agency placed him on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of his trial. Harry stuck to what he said during his outburst in Judge Watts's courtroom and pled guilty. Stephen Carp read a victim impact statement. Afterward, before sitting back down, he shot Harry one of his trademark smirks.

As he expected, the agency fired him. Worse, he got two years probation in lieu of jail time. Jail might have been easier to take, because now he had to endure the humiliation of seeing his former office mates on the other side of the desk. One day, as Harry sat in the lobby, waiting for his agent, Carp walked in. Like last time, he handed the receptionist some papers. Turning to leave, he spotted Harry in one of the four rows of pews. He clicked his tongue, shot Harry a condescending look and then turned to the receptionist. "Better not keep our boy too long or he'll be forced to hit another parking meter."

Harry followed Carp out to the street, a busy, northbound, center-city artery. Traffic whizzed by; the smell of exhaust fumes and the sound of horns filled the air. Harry could barely resist smashing his fist into Carp's big schnoz. Calming himself, he asked politely about that first time in Judge Mitchell's chambers. "What was your problem with me? What did I do or say that pissed you off?"

Carp glared at him, hostile and intense. His dark eyes narrowed and a curl from his widow's peak fell to the middle of his forehead. "Let me put it this way, Foreman. I don't like what you say or how you say it. You offend me just by your very existence, your state of being. You earned my contempt the second you opened your mouth. You probably think you're noble just because you confessed. Well, think again, pal. You're not. You're pathetic. Now, have a nice day."

Harry watched Carp swagger down the street, attired in his pinstripes, swinging his leather briefcase, a picture of the jaunty attorney at the top of his game. Dark thoughts once again crept into his troubled mind. Next time, it wouldn't be goofy letters or the tires of his Beamer. Next time, it would be for keeps. For both of them.

trigudis
trigudis
724 Followers
12