Night Walker's Woman Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tara Cox
Tara Cox
2,495 Followers

"Hector, Grandfather and I can handle the horses. And if Lupe needed your help I am sure she would ask for it. In fact, I will check on her after I put you to bed and ask her to keep an eye on Angel while you rest. As for your case? Well, I am sure that it will be much easier to think once you have a bit of rest," his fingers traced the dark shadows beneath her eyes even as he noticed the glassy layer of tears that she just barely managed to hold back.

"Now, woman, your choices are to show me your bedroom so I can tuck you in or I will throw you over my shoulder and go looking for it myself," he tried to keep his expression jovial but he meant every word. He always would with this woman.

"You would too, wouldn't you?" she shook her had as she led the way down the hall to the closed door just across the hallway from Angel's room. "You don't need to tuck me in. I am a big girl. I have been doing it..."

'All my life,' he caught the unspoken words in her mind and it was he whose vision was clouded with tears. His childhood might have been difficult with scientist parents seeking scientific answers for their only child's 'short comings.' But he had never questioned that they loved him. Even after the divorce. And of course, Grandfather had been the stalwart rock upon which he could always count.

But his woman had had none of that. She had faced it all alone. And her few disjointed thoughts of Angel's father made him believe that her marriage had not been much more than a legal partnership. It was no wonder that she found it so hard to trust...and even harder to believe.

He opened the door and for a moment thought perhaps they had the wrong room. The first thing he saw was the desk and locked file cabinets that dominated the room. The room looked like what it was...her office. It was a moment before his eyes lit upon the small daybed in the other corner of the room.

She shrugged, "I usually sleep with Angel anyway," she murmured.

He nodded as he led her across to the bed. She half sat and half collapsed onto it. He tried to block out the cacophony of disjointed thoughts that beat at her already exhausted brain. It was as if she could not even manage to focus upon a single one. He pulled off her boots and gently lifted her feet up onto the bed. He grabbed a quilt from the end of the bed and unfolded it, tucking it around her just as he said he would.

He wanted to climb into that bed and hold her tight in his arms, promise her that everything would be all right now. But he knew that would only scare and confuse her more right now. Besides he knew too what that kind of closeness would do to his body.

No, the best option was to do what he promised...help Hector and Grandfather settle those horses and make sure that Lupe watched the child. That was what she needed from him right now...to carry just a tiny bit of the weight that was dragging her down. To show her that she could depend on someone else. That she could trust him.

He bent to kiss her forehead, but despite all her protests her eyes were closed already. "I'll just rest for a moment," she whispered. 'Can't afford to drop my guard,' he heard even plainer in his mind as she drifted off into sleep.

Tara Cox
Tara Cox
2,495 Followers
12