Not My Type: Adele Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
firstkiss
firstkiss
3,010 Followers

Once upstairs I did my best to quiet the fussy baby. The task became easier once Nate and Rhiannon had the ear-drum shattering smoke alarm shut off. I hummed a song under my breath as I rubbed Sophie's back until she stopped crying.

"Hey cherie," I whispered as I laid her down on the changing table in her bedroom. Sophie looked back at me with damp sapphire blue eyes and waved her tiny fists in greeting. I gathered diaper changing supplies from the shelf above the table and began the process of swapping the dirty diaper for a clean one. It wasn't something I was all that skilled at quite yet. Sophie obliged me though and held mostly still through the ordeal.

Once she was clean and fresh smelling, I readjusted Sophie's frilly blue dress and bloomers. She lost a sock at some point and I pulled off the remaining one before searching through her dresser drawer for another pair. I looked up to find Nate smiling in the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest.

"You're quite good at that."

"Actually," I said as I wrestled Sophie's wiggling toes into the new socks. "I'm really not. If that diaper falls off before dinner I won't be surprised."

Nate crossed the room to stand behind me, watching as I scooped up Sophie. Her big blue eyes peeked at him over my shoulder. He tweaked one of her dark brown curls.

"Why didn't you and Harry have children?"

The old, familiar ache leapt in my chest, but not as strong as it once had been.

"We tried. I had two miscarriages."

It came out a little more bluntly than I would have liked, but then again it wasn't something I could sugar-coat.

"I'm sorry, I really am." He rested his chin against my hair and I watched as his long, slender fingers cupped Sophie's little head gently.

"I used to be sorry too and I still mourn the loss of them, but now I know it all happened for a reason."

Nate didn't say anything. His free arm snaked around my waist in a hug.

"Harry would have been a shitty father," I added. "My DNA deserves better that that."

Nate's exhale of breath sounded a little like a laugh, but I never got to hear what he was going to say to me. Downstairs a din erupted as Tanners exploded into the cottage.

Matt's loud laugh harmonized with Chuck's above the noise and the low rumble of Joe's voice. Violet, home to study before university exams began, chimed in in a high-pitched tone.

"The gang's all here," I said as I shifted Sophie's weight. "I guess we should join them." I turned, still in Nate's embrace and looked up into kind, brown eyes. He moved his hand from Sophie's head to my cheek.

"I love you, Adele," he whispered.

I didn't answer. I couldn't. I hadn't heard those words in such a long, long time and now they had popped up from nowhere.

"I just wanted you to know." He leaned in and kissed me softly, careful of the baby I held between us. "I don't expect you to say anything in return that you don't want to, but I didn't want to keep it from you either, not when I feel it so strongly."

I had a response on the back of my tongue, but it seemed stuck there – partly from shock.

My grip on Sophie tightened, my lips moved, but chaos broke out downstairs before I had a chance to speak.

The sun porch door slammed and Lilly's voice clear as day rang through to the rafters of the small cottage.

"I don't know how you can look at me, how you can spend time with my family when you're doing goodness-knows-what behind my back! You're lying to me!"

Adam answered just as loudly, "I don't know what you're talking about! You've got the wrong idea, Lilly."

Nate and I eyed each other. There was absolute silence from the Tanner siblings downstairs, which meant they were probably as surprised as we were to hear the couple row.

"Oh, please," Lilly drawled and not without sarcasm. "I'm not a complete idiot. Working late, disappearing sometimes without so much as word, mysterious 'appointments' you won't talk about, hiding your mail... Jesus Adam, I wasn't born yesterday. If you're cheating on me you might as well be man enough to admit it!"

Nate and I gasped in unison. I shook my head. Lilly had it all wrong. I prayed she wasn't about to screw things up. Still, Nate and I stayed frozen in place, unable to go downstairs and witness the drama unfolding in Rhiannon's livingroom.

Footsteps sounded across the hardwood as Adam crossed the room, presumably towards Lilly. I mentally crossed my fingers that he wasn't about to lose his temper. I'd never seen it in person, but I'd certainly heard about it.

"Cheating on you? You think I'm freakin' cheating on you?" Adam's voice lost a little of its volume, a sure sign his temper was seeping through. "You've really lost it now, honey. I wasn't cheating on you!" A long pause followed.

Nate and I both moved at the same time, taking the stairs to the main level as fast as we could. He beat me to the bottom and I was just in time to see Adam drop to his knee in front of a red-faced, angry Lilly. She stood with her hands planted on her curvy hips. The blotchiness on her face said she'd been crying. Around her stood the stalwart defence system of Tanner siblings, each with the eerily, identical expression of anger on their faces. Only Nate, Rhiannon, and I seemed to know what was coming.

Adam drew a tiny blue box from his jeans pocket and opened it to reveal a bright blue sapphire ring.

"Lilly, honey... I'm not cheating on you... I want to marry you."

To be continued...

Never miss another chapter again! Join the Fans of Firstkiss Yahoo Group for updates on chapter postings, story progress, and sneak peeks at upcoming stories. Check out my profile for details. Cheers ~firstkiss

firstkiss
firstkiss
3,010 Followers
12