Not My Type: Felicity Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
firstkiss
firstkiss
3,010 Followers

He handed me the clipboard. "If you could please double-check that it's all there and then sign at the bottom," he said loudly enough for Matt to hear while he stood across the room with arms crossed over his chest, guarding us.

I bit back my giggle at Matt's papa bear routine and concentrated on checking off each individual part as I counted them. Ryan stood so close I smelled his aftershave.

"Have dinner with me tonight?" he asked so only I would hear.

"I can't."

"Boyfriend?"

I shook my head.

"Husband? Children? Girlfriend?"

I shook my head again and bit my lip to keep from laughing.

"Well then, what's the problem?"

I considered Ryan's question as I signed my name to the bottom of the delivery manifest. Visions of Matt flirting with practically every female customer we ever had rose to mind. What was the problem with going on a date with the handsome delivery guy? I hadn't been on a date in years. And anyway, it wasn't like I had anything better to do on a Saturday night. I was getting tired of sitting around the garage waiting for things to happen.

Our fingers brushed as I handed back the clipboard. His brown eyes twinkled playfully and I found myself smiling up at him in return.

"There's no problem."

"Good." He didn't whisper when he said, "I'll pick you up here at seven."

Then before I had the chance to decline or accept, Ryan turned and marched back towards his truck. He tipped his hat at a scowling Matt as he passed. He hopped up into the cab, winked at me and the truck took off, roaring back down the road towards the city.

"Asshole," I thought I heard Matt utter under his breath. I couldn't be sure though, I was still a little in shock at the rapid turn of events. I looked over at Matt, who once again wore the blank expression that first appeared last Sunday.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said before he slipped out the door without as much as another word. The tread of his feet as he climbed the stairs to his apartment sounded heavy. The door slammed and then there was silence.

So much for his offer to take me out for ice cream.

I pushed my disappointment away, cranked up the volume on the radio to eleven, picked up my impact wrench and started in on the next repair job.

~*~

Ryan's black pickup truck pulled up to the garage precisely at seven o'clock. I'd slipped home earlier to shower and change into my good pair of jeans and a bright red blouse. I had no idea what Ryan had in mind for our date, and I worried that perhaps I had dressed too casually. I jumped up into the passenger side of his truck, relieved to see he was wearing jeans too. It was so different seeing him without a cap on his head. He kept his dark hair short but it suited him. Together with a basic white t-shirt and a broad grin Ryan Waverly out of uniform was a force to be reckoned with.

I felt a rush of nervousness as my seat belt clicked. I glanced up at him through lowered lashes.

His appraisal of me was no less blatant than it had been earlier this afternoon. I felt considerably more self-conscious though not being covered in baggy overalls.

"You look fantastic." Ryan said as he threw his pickup into gear.

We had dinner at a steakhouse and lingered over dessert. We talked about our lives, our childhoods, and our jobs. The conversation remained trivial for the most part. Ryan was twenty-nine and still single with his own house in the city. He seemed impressed that I'd taken over the business after my father's accident. I almost confided in him that I found myself in over my head, but I didn't want him to think less of me.

Somehow Ryan convinced me to follow up dessert by dropping by his favourite bar. There was a band playing he really wanted to check out. The loud music made it difficult for us to chat but I enjoyed the band so much it didn't matter. When we did have the chance to talk, I found Ryan funny and smart, sweet and considerate. I was having a much better time than I expected and we ended up staying clear through to last call.

There was hardly anyone on the road during our drive back to the garage but Ryan took his time. We didn't say much, but I felt we didn't really need to and we fell into a comfortable silence. Ryan slowed as we approached the garage and rolled into the parking spot beside my truck. He left his truck idling while he came around to open my door. He gave me his arm and I leaned on him as I jumped down from the high cab.

"I'm glad you decided to come out tonight," he said as we came around to stand beside my truck.

I smiled up at him. "I'm glad I did too. You have no idea how long it's been since the last time."

His mouth quirked in that cute way of his. "And you have no idea how glad I am that I switched delivery routes today."

I laughed.

"Can I see you again?"

I'd had fun with him; more fun that I expected. I had forgotten what it was like to spend time with someone, to go out and have a few laughs together.

"Sure," I agreed. "You know where to find me."

The next thing I knew Ryan was leaning down over me. I couldn't move. I just watched while he came closer and closer. His mouth brushed against mine.

"Good night, Felicity."

"Good night," I echoed, stunned. I hadn't been expecting a kiss and I stood dumbstruck as Ryan gave my hand a parting squeeze before he got back into his truck. He waved as he backed out onto the road. I stood in the cool darkness and watched as his taillights grew smaller and smaller.

I reached up and touched my lips. I still felt Ryan's gentle, fleeting kiss. After so many years, I'd forgotten how wonderful it felt to be kissed.

My gaze travelled up the dark façade of the garage to the second storey. Guilt tainted the sweet moment. I could have sworn I saw the curtains in one window twitch. I watched and waited but there was no further movement from Matt's apartment.

Perhaps, there hadn't been anyone at the window. Perhaps, I'd been mistaken.

To be continued...

firstkiss
firstkiss
3,010 Followers
12