Now or Never: Escape to Freedom

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CE300
CE300
279 Followers

Austin shook his head, "I can never go back. If he ever found me I'm sure he'd kill me for leaving him." The certainty in his voice sent chills down Shelly's spine.

She grabbed his arm, halting their stroll. "Well, we'll just have to make sure that never happens, I'll do what I can to help you." She dropped her hand and they continued on.

They were silent as they approached the garage. "Let's see if we can't get you back on the road."

"Morning Shelly how're ya doin'?" Mike asked as he came out from the shop.

"I'm doin' just fine, thanks for askin'. This is Austin; he's the owner of the Crown Victoria."

"Morning Austin, nice to meet you; I won't ask how ya doin' since a man with car troubles is never having a good day. Good news is I know the problem, your alternator's gone bad; when that happens no charge to your battery." Mike had long hair pulled into a greasy ponytail. His coveralls were a permanent home to oil stains.

"I thought so, every time I'd come to a stop the lights would dim."

"It's a pretty simple fix but your car's a police edition, the alternator's not standard, I'm gonna order one. Levy isn't a hub of activity so it'll be a few days."

"How much is it going to cost?" Austin bit his lip worried the money he had wouldn't be enough. He missed Shelly standing behind him shaking her head and giving Mike a hard stare.

"I really don't know but as soon as I find out I'll contact you right away. Do you have a number I can reach you at?"

"Um...no I don't have a cell phone, but I am staying at the Pine Crest Motel."

"Okay as soon as I find something I'll get a hold of you."

"Thank you for your help." Austin said as he and Shelly left the garage.

Shelly asked him if he wanted her to walk back to the motel but he politely declined and started to head back. He hoped that Mike would be able to find the part soon and he could get back on the road. He was confident it wasn't going to take long. He remembered when he worked on cars with his dad and they had replaced an alternator before. Austin began to ponder some of the questions Shelly had asked him. Had Eric used him as a convenient excuse?

After he got back to his room Mrs. Miller came knocking on the door telling him that Mike was on the phone. Mike told him that the maximum total would be $450 that included labor and the part, and three days delivery. Mike said it could be less with a "Davenport special", chuckled than hung up. Austin had no idea what was funny; he was worried the delay was taking too much money from his final destination. His bleak options threatened to start a panic attack prompting him to take another walk around town and clear his head.

He was failing. He tried to leave Eric and the universe was sending him a message that he had made a huge mistake. Maybe if he went back to Eric and they talked, he could offer some of Shelly's suggestions about school, and make Eric understand he didn't want to be treated that way. Austin walked and tried to convince himself he could go back, but he noticed his body was shaking. He looked at his watch as he clasped his hands and saw it was past one o'clock. He hadn't eaten lunch and he needed more smokes. He shrugged and decided to ask his appointed town guide.

"Afternoon Austin." Shelly yelled from across the bar. "I'll be with you in just a minute."

"Take your time." Austin replied as he took a seat at the bar.

"What can I get for you?"

"I was wondering if you knew of a place I could grab a bite to eat and pick up more cigarettes."

"I sure do. The Red Barn Deli right down the road has great cheese steaks and anythin' else you need."

"Thanks. How far of a walk do you think it is?"

"It'd take you over twenty minutes to get there but just wait one second." Shelly said as she headed into the back of the bar.

Shelly returned with a young man that looked about Austin's age. He was about an inch taller than Austin and muscular; Austin guessed he was close to two hundred pounds. He was dressed in tight blue jeans, button down plaid shirt and a worn baseball cap that covered his light brown hair and mesmerizing sky blue eyes.

"Ryan this is Austin. He's in town for a few days on his way down to Florida. Ry, do me a favor and take him to the Red Barn since his car is in the shop." Shelly said as she introduced them

"Sure thing mom. Do you want anything while I'm there?" Ryan asked.

"No I'm good. Austin is that okay with you if Ryan takes you? I don't want you to have to walk all the way there and back it's gettin' hot out there." Shelly asked.

"Um...yeah that's fine with me."

Austin followed Ryan to an old 1975 Chevrolet pick-up. Shelly had been the nicest person to him but he realized he didn't know anything about her. He supposed her son couldn't be a danger, again if they meant to do him harm there was plenty of opportunity.

Ryan easily engaged him in conversation. He had the same easy manner of his mother, even if physically Ryan probably resembled his father. Ryan joked about his mother.

"Mom can be a little pushy, but she means well. I'm surprised she hasn't lectured you on the dangers of smoking."

"No, Shelly's been unbelievably kind, no lectures." Austin assured him.

Ryan chuckled, "Yeah, she's kind, but the lecture is coming. She says she was born to mother."

Austin tried not to stare but he caught himself looking at Ryan. Ryan wasn't what he considered drop dead gorgeous but he had an appealing southern charm to him. He had a great laugh that showed perfect teeth.

When they arrived at the store Austin had Ryan order for them since he had no idea what was good. They went out back to a table to wait on their order. Austin realized it was the first time he had been alone with a man other than Eric in four years.

"So what's it like living in the north?" Ryan asked, bringing him out of thoughts.

"What do you mean by that?" Austin was puzzled.

"I've never been up north. Guess I wondered what differences you've observed."

"Oh, well I love the snow. It's hard to describe the feeling of walking in the snow or feeling it, but it's neat whenever we would get a lot of snow and then when summer comes you look out into your yard and picture it being covered under a foot of snow. After being down here I can also say it's a lot faster paced, it seems like up there everyone is in a rush to go nowhere. To tell you the truth I kind of like how things down here are slowed down."

"Our snow falls are mild and random. It brings everything to a halt, because we just aren't equipped for it. To tell you the truth we have more like two seasons, fall and summer. I wouldn't mind seeing everything all covered over in feet of white snow just once."

"I think you'd like it."

"I'm sure I would. But the pace of Levy actually suits me. Let me go and check on the food I'll be right back."

"Here's the money for my half." Austin pulled out a twenty.

"Please, put that away, mom would kill me." Ryan said with a smile.

Austin and Ryan lingered at the deli for over an hour. Ryan Davenport he found out was the youngest of Shelly's children. Apparently Shelly was older than she looked or began her family very early. Austin found he was enjoying himself. He couldn't remember the last time he had such a good time; talking and simply being listened to with no fear of saying the wrong thing. He didn't know what it was about Ryan but he felt at ease. Most of the people he met were co-workers of Eric; he was usually intimidated by bigger men.

"Hey, I was wondering if you're not doing anything tonight would you like to come to the drive-in with me? There isn't much to do in this town but I figured it would at least be something for you to do tonight."

Austin paused, who had drive-in theaters? "Do you know what they're playing?"

"It's a double feature. The first movie is The Hunger Games and the second is The NeverEnding Story."

"I love The NeverEnding Story. That's my all-time favorite movie." Austin said with a huge smile.

"So does that mean that you'll go?"

"Yeah, but only if you let me pay for half."

"Okay fine. I'll swing by the motel and pick you up around seven, we can grab a quick bite to eat then head over to the movie."

Austin was excited to be going to the drive-in. It had been years since Eric had taken him anywhere. He could hardly contain himself as he was getting ready. After his shower he picked out his best pair of boot cut jeans and a nice light blue t-shirt. The last thing he did was get his hair ready. He fiddled with it until he had it just the way he liked it, deliberately messy and spiky. His chin strap of facial hair still looked neat, and his bruises didn't appear to be too bad, he was healing. His reflection was different, he saw more than a day's worth of healing; he was closer to being his true self, not a slave. He was excited he would be able to spend more time with Ryan. He didn't think about his attraction to Ryan, he was only in town for a few days and the Davenport clan was obviously freakishly nice.

Ryan picked him up on time. When he was seated there was a picnic basket between them on the seat.

"What's this?"

Ryan laughed, "Mom. She's done this every time we go to the drive-in. It's the same basket and everything. She thinks the prices are way too high so she packs snacks. Have you ever had fried chicken at the movies?"

Austin could only shake his head, which caused Ryan to laugh louder. Ryan found a great parking once they arrived.

"I'll be right back. I love mom's cooking but I'm a man and a man needs real snacks at a movie." Ryan announced and exited the truck. "But just promise me you won't tell her."

Austin laughed as the door closed. When he came back to the truck he was carrying large popcorn, soda and a big bag of M&M's.

"How much do I owe you?" Austin asked as he brought out his wallet.

"Oh, I didn't even remember how much it all was. Just give me five, I know it wasn't that much."

Austin couldn't believe that but didn't want to be rude. "Are you sure that's all it was?" Austin asked.

Ryan gave him an impish smile that looked remarkably familiar. "Yeah, somewhere there about, I'm sure."

When it was time for his favorite movie, he felt like a little kid again watching it. He remembered watching it with his dad; it brought a tear to his eye when it started.

Ryan saw his reserved companion's tears, but said nothing. His mom was right, Austin needed a friend.

The movies ended well past mid-night and he was ready for a good night's sleep. He had a great day, the first in the longest time.

Ryan pulled in front of his motel room. "Thanks for hanging out with me. Mom read us the book and we used to watch The NeverEnding Story when I was a kid. I always cried when Artax was overcome by sadness. Mom would say sadness could really do that, so to give everyone I met a smile, and they wouldn't get lost in the swamp."

"Thanks for taking me; I had a really nice time." Even if Ryan was straight the night had all the hallmarks of a date. Austin was sure he simply hadn't had a good day in so long; he was reading more into it. But he was saddened at the thought of going to Florida and not seeing Ryan again.

Ryan watched the slight man head to his room. "Maybe we can do it again, before you leave town?"

Austin turned and smiled, "I'd like that, goodnight Ryan." He called as he entered the room.

He realized he had left his wallet in his truck but he didn't worry, confident Ryan or Shelly would return it in the morning. Austin began removing his clothes and there was a knock on the door.

"You didn't have to..." he said as he opened the door. He'd expected to find Ryan in his doorway with his wallet, but it wasn't.

"Eric." The name escaped his lips as a gasp. The goatee, dark brown hair and grey eyed hulk of his nightmares blocked the doorway and he was frozen. It was too late to close the door; he had carelessly flung the door open to death.

Eric stepped in, closed, and locked the door behind him. Austin walked backward, wanting to keep out of his reach. He had to find a way out. "E-Eric, what are you doing here?"

"You're asking me what I'm doing here? What the fuck are you doing here?"

Eric's voice boomed and Austin's knees buckled. If there were any neighbors they could hear through the thin walls, but he was the only guest at the motel. He had to calm Eric down, then maybe run... somewhere.

"Eric, I had to get away just for a little while to clear my head."

"Clear your head? Why fucktard? There isn't shit in it. You're so fucking stupid, good thing I put a tracker on your car. I never thought you'd be stupid enough to try and run away. And who the fuck were you with?" Eric advanced on Austin, towering over him.

Austin willed himself to stay calm, "No one, the car is in the shop and I had to get a ride from the restaurant. Eric, please listen to me, I love you but I can't go back with you if you're going to keep treating me this way."

Eric snorted, "Bitch you think you have options? You're coming home with me whatever I do, your ass is mine! I didn't give up everything for you to run off! Now you can do this one of two ways, the easy way or the hard way, that's your only choice."

"I'm s..sorry but I'm not going, I can't live like that anymore!" Austin yelled.

"You're begging for a reminder of who you belong to!" Eric took a step back. He surveyed the room looking for something to restrain Austin with. Getting him into his car was his top priority, leaving Austin's car so there could never be a repeat of this farce; the clothes as well, best to keep him naked. "I'm not going to tell you again, you're coming home, you've caused me enough trouble!"

Austin panicked, he had to get away. He sprinted for the door but Eric tripped him, casually as if he anticipated his move.

Austin fell to the floor in excruciating pain. Eric pummeled him, punching him over and over in the face. Rage seized him and he wrapped his hands around Austin's neck and began to squeeze. Austin hit at him, trying to fight back but Eric was much stronger. He registered the look of pure hatred in the eyes that he once loved to look into. He was getting light headed. He thought he heard a pounding on the door as his sight began to go dim.

The door flew open, ripping the chain lock off the door frame, and Ryan burst in with a 12 gauge shot gun in his hand.

"Let him go!" Ryan yelled as he pointed the shot gun at Eric.

"Fuck off! I don't know who the fuck you are but this is none of your business!" Eric said as he gripped even harder.

"I'm not going to tell you again. Let him go or they are gonna have to put your face back together for the funeral," the shot gun made the ominous click click noise as Ryan pumped it, "a closed casket I'm guessing."

Eric met the strangers blue eyes, and then stared into the barrel of the gun. He had no illusions the southern meat puppet meant what he said. He released his hold on Austin. Austin gasped for air as he tried to crawl away but Eric viciously kicked the side of his head sending blood across the room.

"I don't know what the fuck is going on but leave and never come back. Because the next time I lay eyes on you there won't be any words." Ryan said never dropping the shot gun from Eric.

"I'll be back to claim what's mine and when I do there's not going to be a goddamned thing you can do to stop me." Eric promised as he made his way to the door.

Ryan kept his gun on Eric as he got into his car. He did not lower the weapon until he was sure he was gone. He pulled out his cell phone and called his mother. He instructed her to call the sheriff and send the ambulance to Austin's room. He hung up before she could ask him any questions. He knelt beside Austin; his body was still, lying in the same spot covered in blood. He knelt down and placed his hand on Austin side and felt that he was still breathing but it was shallow. He prayed that the ambulance would get there quickly, but Shelly arrived first.

"Jeezus Ryan! What happened?" Shelly asked as she ran into the room.

"I was bringing back Austin's wallet he left in the truck and I figured we could eat cold chicken. When I got here this strange guy was attacking him, I could hear him clear outside. So I grabbed the shot gun and made him leave." Ryan said as he held onto Austin's hand.

Shelly went in the bathroom and emerged with towels. "Carefully Ryan we have to get him on his back, it'll help him breath. But I need you to make sure his head and neck stay aligned, and then I want you to put pressure on those bleeders on his face. Hopefully I won't have to do CPR."

Ryan did as he was ordered; his mother was obviously worried about a spinal injury. After they rolled him he tended to Austin head, the kick had made a gash that was oozing blood in the golden brown hair.

Shelly forced Austin's eye open and peered in. Ryan could tell from her thin lipped expression she did not like the state he was in. "If the paramedics don't get here soon we may have to try driving him. I should've asked him to stay with us. I think that guy was Austin's boyfriend." Shelly said with a sigh.

"Boyfriend?" Ryan asked clearly puzzled.

"Yeah, Austin's gay and he made it clear he was terrified of his boyfriend findin' him," Shelly shook her head as she looked at the broken young man, "now I can see why. I didn't think he could find him in Levy or I would have warned you, but I didn't want to betray his confidence."

"I mean I knew he was gay, I just didn't know he was trying to save his life. He told me he was on his way to Florida. I figured he was going on vacation."

"I figured if you two became friends I could convince him to hide here a while. Eric would know he was headed to his grandparents, so much for my good intentions."

"It's okay mom, you did the best you could. You always try to catch people when they fall. We've caught Austin, and we Davenport's don't let go."

Shelly nodded at her son, proud she had raised so decent a man.

Off in the distance they could hear the scream from the ambulance. When the paramedics arrived they worked quickly on Austin getting him secured on the stretcher and transporting him to the hospital almost forty miles away.

Ryan met with Sheriff Greames, piecing together where Eric lived from the information in Austin's wallet. Greames wasn't a bad sort but Ryan hated the raised eyebrow he got when he told him that Eric was Austin's boyfriend. After giving what details he could he drove over to the hospital to meet his mother.

"I just got off the phone with the sheriff. Jim's alright but he hasn't ever been the brightest bulb. How are you holdin' up?" Shelly asked.

Before he could answer the doctor approached them from the double doors.

Shelly and Ryan rose to meet him. "Well, he has three broken ribs, his right wrist has a fracture, dislocated jaw, six stitches for the laceration, and I suspect tissue damage to his neck, which is going to be sore for a while. How much do you know about him?"

Shelly shrugged. "Not much. I only met him the other day. Why?"

The dark eyed doctor stepped in closer, "Well, after examining him I noticed bruises at different stages of healing. Some were old but there were some that I could tell where fairly new."

"It tracks. The same boyfriend Ryan stopped has been doin' this a while." Shelly offered.

"Do you know if his boyfriend is still in the area?"

"I'm not sure if he's still lurkin' around."

"I made my intentions to blow his head off if I ever see him in Levy pretty clear." Ryan affirmed.

The doctor smirked, "Well Quick-draw, as intimidating as that is I'm going to have the staff on alert. This place isn't that large, so we'll keep him close to the nurse's station."

"I can keep watch over his room."

CE300
CE300
279 Followers