Of Hope Lost and Found Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
nageren
nageren
1,069 Followers

"Just a little morning adventure with an angry husband. You're here just in time. Tricia here is going to need a place to stay for a little while. Will you go set something up while I talk with her?"

"Rodger dodger," Gina said cheerily as she turned to leave.

I sat and watched Thomas work, somewhat enchanted by the skillful way his hands went about their task. Not only that, but his voice soothed and calmed the girl as he worked. He gave simple instructions and even told stories of some of the funnier wounds he'd stitched up in the ER. Tricia just closed her eyes and listened, letting him go about his work. After another 30 minutes, she was all done and cleaned up, so I walked her over to the dorms. Gina took over, getting her checked in, then accompanying her back to her apartment to get some belongings.

I spent my morning calling our insurance company, following up with the police, calling a glass company, and making our own internal incident report. By the time lunchtime arrived, I was starving. Gina and I went out and got caught up. I heard all about their new little girl, Andrea, and how Ian and Estelle, their other two, were handling having a baby in the house. Gina got caught up on the business of the past few months, then pressed me for details on Thomas.

"He's working out very well. You found an excellent candidate. And I have tried to build a good relationship with him."

"Good," said Gina. Then she sat silently and looked at me. For half a minute we didn't break eye contact- Gina trying to get more out of me while I was unwilling to give anything up. We were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Come in," I said loudly, smirking at Gina while continuing to endure her stare down.

"Dottie?" I heard Thomas' voice from the doorway. I quickly looked up at him as he kept his feet in the hallway and leaned into my office. "Would you mind staying a little later today? I'd like to talk about this morning."

"Sure, I can do that. Come by my office when you're done," I said with a controlled voice.

"I'd like to get out of here for a bit, though," he went on. "I'll find a place where we can grab dinner."

Knowing that Gina was probably beaming in front of me, I kept my eyes on Tom's. "I understand. It can get a bit stifling here with everyone breathing down your neck all the time." I looked over at Gina as I said that. She was, of course, smiling so wide I worried she would hurt herself.

"See you at six, then," he said, pulling the door shut behind him.

Gina's feet were tapping on the floor and her head was wagging with excitement. "I knew it!" she said after a few seconds.

"You're just imagining things," I assured her...vainly.

"Dinner? Really? I knew he had it for you, knew it from the first day. You can't see it Dottie, but he's...besotted."

"Nonsense, girl. We have a good, professional relationship."

"Is that why you have breakfast together every morning?"

I bit my lip and narrowed my eyes. She took me by surprise with that, and I wasn't quick enough to give a better explanation.

"OK, so it's not just professional; but Gina, it's not anything romantic. It's simply two adults- one much younger than the other- enjoying conversation."

"Do you want anything more?"

"I...would find that highly inappropriate. And unlikely. And I thought I made you swear to drop this."

Gina shrugged, smiled, and stood to leave. "Enjoy your dinner," she laughed as she headed back to work.

*******

I did enjoy dinner. The meal was fine. The company was better. I think we both knew that talking about the morning's events was only a pretext for getting some time together. What I didn't know, though, was why he felt the need for such a pretext. Most of our conversation resembled our typical breakfast times. This evening, he told me about cricket- his interest in it, opinions on it as the superior sport, and the lamentable lack of a following it receives in North America.

We had eaten at a small place a few blocks away from the shelter. I lived a few blocks the other direction, and since it was well after dark by the time we finished, Thomas insisted on walking me back. It was a nice evening, and I had to walk briskly to keep up with Thomas' long strides. I felt like a little girl trying to keep up with Daddy.

When we got to my place, I took a step up towards my porch, then turned to say good night to Thomas. "Tom, I..." Being a step up, I was right at eye level with him, and suddenly being face to face made me pause. I looked into those eyes that I had imagined dozens of times and felt flustered and forgetful. What was I even about to say? Had I already said something?

Before I could regather my wits and exit gracefully, Tom swept his hand to the back of my head and gently pulled me forward. His mouth found mine and our lips pressed. Instinctively, I opened my mouth, but in a last moment of reserve, I held back my tongue. We kissed, mouths open, for only a few seconds. It was just long enough for my senses to return. And though a part of me was fighting the urge to pull away, my reasonable side prevailed. I pulled back, and Tom's hand didn't stop me.

Looking back into his eyes, I saw a little of the confusion and fear that I was feeling. But more than that, I saw hope...expectation...excitement. "Dottie..."

I turned, ran up the steps, and quickly unlocked my front door. Going inside, I slammed shut the door, then leaned my back against it. Panting in...fear?...I tried to get my head to think clearly. I winced and cursed myself rushing off without addressing the problem, took a deep breath, and opened the door again. Thomas was gone.

I closed the door and sank to the floor. I listened to my heart racing in my ears. I knew I wouldn't be going to sleep any time soon.

nageren
nageren
1,069 Followers
12