Of Many Splendid Things

Story Info
The beginning of new things.
2.2k words
4
4.9k
00
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Quiet. Nothing. The Beauty and the Ease and the Dreadful Boredom of Nothing.

Wasn't there something?

From dark to light, eyes wide open face the sky.

The thought she tried to bring to clarity was absent now. Just as the sky was clear except for the dazzling sun so was her mind. There was an echo of a sensation that couldn't quite be grasped but its quality felt addicting. As her gaze drifted to the towering mountain across the lake, which was still touched with white, reality began to fall into place.

Arghhh! Late, late, late!

As Ashlynn hustles through the tall grass her immediate surroundings are at odds with her. Tranquility resides in the harmony that is created by the breeze that ruffles the green landscape that encompasses her as it also creates the smooth rhythm of the lake striking its shore. Trees shelter and soften both wind and sun to make slumber seem ideal. The combination of which is disruptive to all the things that must be done.

The dramatic rise of the stone mountains surrounding the west side of the lake interrupts the smooth beauty of the valley, as they act as a domineering guardian to both the inhabitants and travelers of the town below.

And then there's Ashlynn.

A small frown causes a crease between her brows clearly showing her frustration that is directed purely inward. Barely standing at the astounding height of five foot two, and with a head full of elbow length dark golden blonde hair and torquoise eyes, intimidating expressions weren't exactly one of here specialties. To her irritation she resembled a soft-featured doll too much to be taken seriously at most things.

I'm late... again. Why can't I just focus lately?

As she approaches a large two story yellow inn she brushes the bits of earth off of her dark navy blue jumper dress and straightens the collar of her white shirt underneath it. The uniform dress is ill fitting without a discernable shape but being dirty and wrinkled as well certainly did not improve her appearance. She takes a moment and a breath to try to clear her thoughts of the vague hint of the dream that continues to haunt her conscious mind. Worrying her bottom lip between her teeth, dreading not a reprimand but another teasing reminder of her own inadequacies

Danny...

As she walks in through the back kitchen door the familiar clinking of spoons stirring sauces relaxed her tension a bit. She smiled quickly at the cook as he stirred that very spoon on her way through the kitchen. After she eased through the swinging doors that led to the dining room she saw Danny chatting up Lloyd Mclean, a local logger, with his usual easy charm from behind the bar. She scanned the room for customers and upon finding no one slid over to Danny's side.

"Hi," she greeted after the conversation on fishing had ended. A conversation during which she had kept her expression carefully glazed over lest she be asked to join in.

"Hey... where've you been? You were due back about an hour ago and I've been waiting to take my break," he gently scolded as he hugged her to his side. He spotted a bit of grass in her hair and smiled wryly.

"Did you fall asleep by the lake again? Your starting to make me wonder what you're doing at night that makes you so tired during the day since you certainly haven't been spending that time with me."

"You know that if I was out anywhere it would be with you... And I don't know... I've just been tired lately."

"Distant is a little more like it," he said as he released her, "I'm going on my break now. Can you set up the tables for dinner? We had a couple of guests check in while you were gone. I imagine that they'll be down in a bit for something to eat."

"Sure, see you in a bit," she replies as Danny walks out of the room. Ashlynn starts to hum a song without words as she prepares the tables for the evening meal. Her mind wanders as her hands and body take over to do the automatic motions. She matches her pace to the tune, laying down silverware and glasses with fluid motions. As she pulls out some plates her mind begins to wander.

There was something to that dream. There was something she'd seen, felt or experienced in that dream before; it was a wisp she couldn't catch. This sense déjà vu was not unfamiliar to her as of late but for some reason this evening in particular she was feeling on edge. She could hear her heart beating more rapidly and a slight tingling in her extremities. Disturbingly these feelings were building rather than fading away.

Focus at the task at hand. Focus. Focus. Focus.

Ashlynn reaches to her throat and strokes the pendant there. The touch of the firm metal grounds her.

She looks up and surveys her work, checking to make sure that nothing was left out or unbalanced on the tables. Warmth encompasses the room; which would work to the inns advantage being that despite the summer sun's heat that ruled the day, the nights were still quite brisk. The cloth and paintings used in the room were smooth in texture, not overly fussy which complemented the use of so much wood. She smiled as the thought of an old Viking hall came to mind from looking at the room. She eased back farther to take in the complete picture with the bar to her right and bumped into one of the tables with a jolt of surprise. And then she heard a chuckle that wasn't her own.

There was a man standing behind her at the bar. He was relatively young, the small lines that were etched on his face added to his attractiveness rather than taking from it. Without them he would have probably appeared rather boyish. Particularly with the smirk he was currently wearing on his thin mouth. Almost all his features were average: straight nose, skin neither pale nor tan, hair dark brown, not far from black. But his eyes were a shocking blue and framed as they were with his dark lashes they appeared rather eerie. And familiar...

"Hi. Is there anything I can help you with?" She bent her head back to ask her question and noticed his height as well.

"Yes, I'm here..." he glanced quickly around the room, "to get something to eat." he said with a raised questioning eyebrow and a tentative smile.

"Oh yes, of course, table for one?"

At his answering nod she seated him with both menu and specials to dwell upon. She went into the kitchen to fetch his water and let the cook know that shortly she'd have an order for him. She walked to the back door and peaked out.

I wonder what's keeping Danny? And he gave me a hard time for taking a long break?

She really didn't need any help with just one customer sitting down but the man made her nervous. With her back against the door Ashlynn contemplated why. Despite his initial expression that bordered on surprise, the intensity that laid within his gaze disturbed her thoroughly. She felt both hot and cold in his presence, her body tingling with an unsettling awareness. She strode back in the kitchen and to the door that led in to the dining hall. She peaked into the small window that was built within the door and noticed that the man had put down his menu and was staring at her through the glass. It's time. She pushed the door open and walked over to his table.

"Are you ready to order?"

"Hmm... not quite yet. I was wondering if there was anywhere you'd recommend to go tonight while I'm here?" he asked with a engaging smile. She studied his face and wondered what the tightness around his eyes and mouth indicated. For he looked almost as jumpy as she felt. Unbeknownst to her, she took a step back to create more space between them.

"The lake is beautiful with plenty trails, and since its midsummer's night it will stay bright till fairly late. A popular trail that starts nearby will lead you up the pass and into the mountains. There's also a pub right down the street that should be playing live music tonight. Is there something I can get you? Or should I give you more time to decide?" She asked as she began to back away without really giving him a chance to answer she returned to the kitchen at a quick pace.

Hiding behind the doors she was perfectly aware that she was surpassing just mildly rude behavior but didn't really care at this point. When Danny got back she'd go check on this guest and see if he was ready to order then. Not really her problem that he couldn't figure out what he wanted so she could get him the hell out of here.

Hmm. Not a very hospitable thought. Screw hospitable, I'll be extra nice and friendly to the next guest to make up for it she decided with an internal nod. Surely that would even things out a bit. Undoubtedly with Danny in the room her body would feel less of a reaction to this stranger. She loved Danny. Someday they were going to get married. Everyone knew that, surely everyone expected it. And she wanted it, of course she did.

Towards this man she felt more unease than anything else anyway. If she could just ignore the pull she was feeling to walk into the room for it equaled the desire to run frantically in the other direction.

"Hey babe," Danny said as he strolled in and kissed her on the lips. "Sorry, I know I'm late, my mom caught me on the way out and I got distracted... Anything wrong? You look a little off."

"Thanks," Ashlynn rolls her eyes. "I'm fine. I've only one customer seated right now but will you man the bar as long as there is someone there?"

"Yep, no problem. I'll follow you in. You know that I didn't mean you looked bad right? You're always pretty... well maybe not always..." at Ashlynn's sidelong look, he continues, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding!" He then followed her into the kitchen giving her a quick hug and kiss on the back of the neck.

Ashylnn smiled up at Danny when they entered the dining area. When she looked over to the dark haired man she was caught off guard by the anger that flashed across his face to be quickly replaced by a sharp smile. She returned his smile with a tense one of her own.

"Are you ready to order now?" she asked. Some power had been restored to her now that Danny was in the room. She felt braver, not so intimidated by his direct look.

"Actually, I was curious about the hiking trails around the lake... What do you know about them?" he responded, his smile softening.

"Know about them? I only know where some of them lead, I'm not sure if there is any specific information about them."

"Well then, where do these trails start? Out by the road?" he asked, and by his tone she felt him leading her to an answer she did not wish to give.

"There's one that starts right in front of this inn. Walking out the front door you'll see it to your left and through the trees." She uses her hands to gesture vague directions and notices that for the moment only she and the stranger remain in the dining hall.

"Would you mind showing me before my dinner comes? I'd like to go and wander around the lake early tomorrow but with how groggy I am in the morning it might pass my notice." His smile was cajoling and his persuasive tone was pulling Ashlynn in.

"It's very easy to see..." she said even as she clearly saw the persistence in his face, "I guess I can show you though. If you'll follow me?"

He stood up and trailed her out of the dining hall, through the reception room and out the front entrance. She looked up to gaze over the lake, which was alight with the colors of the evening sun tipping the waves. Rose, amethyst, gold moved between the deep blue in a teasing dance. The breeze that created the waves brought a chill across her neck and over arms that felt delicious in contrast to the heat of the inn. Ashlynn's system exhilarated in her surroundings as she lightly stepped down the stairs of the wide front deck. Every time she saw this view, and stopped to really see it, she couldn't help but bask in the delight of this beautiful valley. The colors, the trees, the water and the air all filled her to the brim. Her gaze now drifted to the path on the left.

"See it's right here. This one winds through the trees and as it comes close to the lake there's this wonderful little grassy area-" she started to glance over her shoulder to the man, her smile relaxed and wide in her distraction.

Her sentence was not to be finished. The man who followed her did not see the whimsical beauty of the lake, and did not care of her joy in viewing it.

He saw her back.

He saw his chance.

He saw the path.