Oh Brother

Story Info
He always seemed to come out ahead.
14.2k words
4.53
128.2k
206
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BigGuy33
BigGuy33
3,072 Followers

You'll find that a lot of my Loving Wives stories include family as part of the betrayal, because I can't imagine anything more painful. This is another one, however since there is no actual cheating wife in this one (she's just a girlfriend) I put it in Romance.

<><><><><>

Oh Brother

He always seemed to come out ahead.

<><><><><>

"Okay Tara, we are now officially late."

"I'm sorry, honey, but I've never met your brother before and you haven't seen him in a year. I just want to make sure I look good enough for you to show off and be proud of."

"Baby, you could show up in a burlap sack and moccasins and I'd show you off and be proud of you."

"I know that, Henry. I'm sorry. I'll finish up."

Tara and I had been together for about 6 months, and I was leaning strongly toward asking her to marry me. So we weren't engaged yet nor did we live together yet, but we had spent pretty much every night together at one place or the other for the last 3 months and we had agreed to be exclusive not long after we got together.

Tara was 22 to my 23. She was my equal at 6 feet tall, and of course often wore heels so she could be taller, though I didn't mind. We had met at college a few months before we both graduated: she was a blocker on the volleyball team and was now getting into health care management. I was already working in an entry-level position for a local design engineering firm and was taking some graduate classes towards a master's degree.

She finally emerged in a knee-length royal blue dress with white flats. Tara had long blonde hair and a lean, long body, with a flat butt and small breasts, and legs that would put anyone to shame and went on for days. They were the kind that made guys turn their heads as she walked by. I've seen guys run into things or get hit by their girlfriends as they were distracted by Tara's legs. It made me feel pretty good that my woman was a source of admiration and was all mine.

We left her apartment and walked hand-in-hand out to my SUV. With our heights a larger vehicle was a must. It was a beautiful evening with the sun just below the horizon and the moon ascending into the sky. I was probably as happy as I had ever been.

We headed for my parent's house, where we would be attending a family party to celebrate my older brother's return from overseas. Michael was a Marine and a damn good one, according to all the commendations he received. Physically I was okay, but Michael was 3 inches taller, more muscular, and had all his hair. I had started losing mine early and now shaved it off. He was also just generally better looking than me, at least according to every woman ever, and was naturally charming. He was also an arrogant asshole and I could barely stand him.

I suppose I should have mentioned my true feelings for my brother to Tara, but every time I've talked to someone about it in the past it always ends up coming across as jealousy on my part because he's just so smooth and so good at everything. I may be smarter than he is, but he has the street smarts and charisma, and no one cares how easily I can calculate the load bearing specifications of a suspension bridge.

We arrived at my parent's house about 15 minutes late and of course I immediately caught crap from mom for being late to my own brother's party. Sigh. There was no point blaming Tara; that would just make things worse, and so I apologized.

The party itself went mostly as I expected. Everyone fawned over the amazing Michael and I received a smattering of courtesy greetings and a few disinterested questions about how my job was going before they moved on to hear about my brother's exploits while fighting for our country and for the freedom of the oppressed. Like I said, if awards are any indication he was a good Marine and a brave fighter, but I was just tired of it.

Since Tara had never met him before she spent a good portion of the evening talking to him. I made a point of trying to stay close to her. I'd hold her hand or touch her arm or shoulder, just as a way of subtly (or not so subtly) marking my territory. Michael spoke barely a word to me and I returned the favor, but he was doing to Tara the same things I was: touching her arm, putting a hand on her knee, etc. And she was not just letting him but seemed to be encouraging him, and she was returning the touches as well. She was clearly being charmed by him. The final straw came when she told me to 'stop pawing at her' because I was distracting her from her conversation with Michael, yet she continued to exchange those furtive touches with him. At that point I just went outside and sat alone on the patio. I was not surprised when no one came out to socialize with me.

It was nearing midnight when Tara apparently finally noticed I was gone. I heard the patio door open but didn't bother looking back to see who it was, only finding out when Tara spoke.

"There you are. You disappeared."

"I'm surprised you noticed. You seemed pretty enthralled with my brother."

"Honey, we were just talking. I've never met him before and he's interesting to talk to. I just wanted to get to know the guy that may end up being my brother-in-law."

"Yeah, sure. You barely spoke a word to me all night, except to tell me to leave you alone so you could pay more attention to what he was saying."

Tara came over and sat on my lap and wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. How about we go back to my place and I show you how I feel about you."

We drove back to her apartment and we did just that. Well, kind of. One of the things I always enjoyed about making love to Tara was that we frequently made eye contact. We enjoyed missionary for that reason and when she was on top she would face me for the same reason.

But tonight she wanted to do it doggy-style, and when she went on top she faced away from me, and when we did it missionary she had her eyes closed. So while she may have wanted to show me how much she loved me, all she was doing was showing me how little she was interested in me right now. What I saw was a woman thinking about someone else and seeing my face would have shattered that illusion. And I suspected I knew exactly who it was.

<><><><><>

I went to work the next morning filled with doubt. I hadn't heard what Michael's immediate future plans were; typically he was in town for 3-4 months before shipping out again, but mom had mentioned at one point that he was considering 'becoming a civilian'. I knew what I was hoping for.

Tara always had Thursdays off and I wasn't happy with how things had gone last night. I wondered if I overreacted. I mean, it was the first time she had ever met my brother and people were always saying how interesting his battle stories were so it was no surprise that she wanted to listen to him. And maybe the lack of eye contact meant nothing. In any case, I thought I'd go get her for lunch and just put last night behind me. I should've known better.

I parked in front of Tara's apartment and let myself in using my key. I heard music coming from the back of the apartment. I walked that way, with no effort to be quiet but not making any unnecessary noises either. I stood in the door frame of the bedroom for several minutes watching my brother fuck Tara. She had those long beautiful legs that I loved so much wrapped around his body.

"Yes, Michael, fuck me hard. God, it feels so good."

I guess that eliminated the possibility that this was somehow being done against her will. The fact was that, after last night, this really didn't surprise me. I certainly felt anger and pain, but I pushed all that aside and fought back the tears for now and let the rational, thinking part of my brain, the one that could calculate structural failure limits in my head, take over. I would never hit a woman and my brother would wipe the floor with me, so a physical response was out. And I really didn't want them to know how much they had hurt me.

I walked toward the dresser, which is where the stereo sat, and pressed the power button to shut it off, which got their attention. Michael stopped and looked over his shoulder while Tara leaned her head to the right a bit so she could see past him. She spoke first.

"Oh my God, Henry. I..."

"You know, Tara," I interrupted, "it was a week before you'd let me even touch your tits, a month before I got a hand into your pants, and 3 months before we finally actually fucked. You said it was because you weren't a slut. You've known my brother less than 24 hours. I think your estimation of yourself was inaccurate."

"Hey, bro, man, I'm sorry about this, but your girl is just so hot."

I spoke to Michael but I was looking Tara straight in the eye.

"Do whatever you want, asshole. She's not my girl anymore. I just realized she hasn't been since last night. I don't want to see or speak to either of you ever again."

"Henry, honey, wait..."

I heard Tara calling after me as I walked out of her apartment, dropping her key on the table on my way out. I didn't even slow down. By the time I got into my car I glanced back and saw Tara standing in her doorway, holding her robe in front of her to hide her nakedness from the world. I looked away and pulled into traffic without another look.

I went back to work, turning off my phone so I could avoid the inevitable calls from Tara and Michael, and probably mom, too. I finished the workday and actually got a lot done, because whenever I stopped working I started thinking, so I really focused on working.

I stopped for dinner on the way home though barely recall ordering or eating. I pulled into my apartment complex but saw Tara's car there and presumed she was waiting for me inside the apartment since she still had my key. I backed out and just checked into a cheap hotel. I turned my phone on just so I could delete the phone messages and texts. They came from Tara, Michael, and my mom, just as I suspected, and they were all basically a request to call them back. I ignored them, deleted them, and then went to sleep.

<><><><><>

I had slept well and reported to work refreshed, if not particularly happy. About mid-morning I was paged that I had a visitor. Protocol required that I go personally to the lobby to greet them and sign them in personally (or get rid of them, as I expected this morning). As I strolled to the front I wondered who it would be, and was a bit surprised to see my father, of all people.

"Hi pop. What brings you by, as if I didn't know?"

"Can we talk in your office, son?"

My 'office' is just a cubicle so there's not much in the way of privacy. I led him into the small conference room since it was vacant at that moment.

We sat at one of the corners of the table after I offered, and he declined, some water or coffee.

"Son, we need to get together and talk about this thing."

"What thing is that, dad?"

I was being difficult, I know, but I didn't want him to gloss over what we were talking about.

"You know, the thing with you and your brother and your girlfriend."

"Well that's easy dad. I no longer have a brother or a girlfriend so there is nothing left to talk about. I'll walk you out."

I stood up but dad just stayed right where he was. I hadn't expected that to actually be the end of it, of course, but you never know.

"Look, son, these things happen sometimes. It's no reason to disavow a member of your family."

"Actually, dad, it's an excellent reason. I see you're continuing in the role of mom's mouthpiece. I'd appreciate it if you'd just tell everyone to leave me alone. I'm done with Michael and I'm done with Tara."

"Mom would like us to at least try and work this out. She'd like you to come to dinner tonight we can talk."

"Will the asshole and the slut be there?"

"We thought we'd start with just the three of us, but they've agreed to be ready to come over if we called and if you were amenable to it."

"Fine, I'll go talk to mom just to get this over with."

With my agreement in place, dad smiled like he had somehow accomplished something and I walked him out. My father was a nice guy, but when it came to the family he was nothing more than a parrot of whatever mom decided. Once she decided on a course of action he was right behind her, even though I could sometimes tell he didn't agree with her decision.

The rest of the day was uneventful, and even as I knew I'd regret it I drove over to mom and dad's house and parked on the street. I was expecting to want to make a quick getaway. I rang the bell and my mother answered, and I was ushered into the living room.

Mom started. "Henry, I really think you're overreacting to this. It's unfortunate, certainly, that Michael and Tara fell for each other, but it's no reason for you to cut off your brother. He's the only one you have."

"So it's him again, huh mom? Of all the women he could choose, he screws my girlfriend, his only brother's girlfriend, and I'm the one overreacting. Even now you're coming down on his side just like always."

"Oh please. I'm not coming down 'on his side' as you put it, nor is that something I've ever done 'always'.

"Is that right? Tell me mom: can you name one example where Michael and I were in conflict where you didn't choose his side over mine because he was the oldest and you just didn't think he was capable of doing anything wrong."

"Nothing leaps to mind. I'm certain I could, but I don't think it's relevant."

"It's completely relevant because now, just like always, Michael can do no wrong and I'm somehow the problem. I can think of several times where you blamed me for things Michael did, mother, and based entirely on Michael telling you it was me and not him."

"I strongly doubt that, Henry."

"The Playboy magazine."

"What Playboy magazine? The one you stole?"

"Michael stole it, mother. You found it in his room, in his dresser, hidden under his t-shirts. And when you asked him about it, he told you that it wasn't his, and then he said that I probably planted it there just to get him in trouble, because he'd never hide anything in such an obvious place. You believed him, even though the only evidence was the magazine found in his room and what he told you, and I got grounded for 2 months while he got off scot free."

"Assuming you're telling the truth, Henry, that's just one example."

"The beer cans."

"Okay, Henry, what beer cans?"

"The empty ones dad found in the garage, hidden behind the water heater. Dad found them dumped back there and knew he didn't put them there, and remembered a couple weeks before when he had thought 2 were missing but thought maybe he had simply miscounted. Ring a bell?"

"I vaguely recall this, yes."

"You called us both down and asked for a confession. Michael immediately spoke up that he had seen me do it but didn't say anything because he was trying to protect me. I, in my own defense, said it wasn't true. You believed him, of course, and I was grounded again and not allowed to drink anything but water for 2 months. So with us standing there, his word against mine, you took his side again. Even though I hadn't done anything I could almost have accepted if both of us got in trouble, since there was no evidence either way. But once again there was no punishment for the wonder child."

"His explanation just seemed to make sense. He was trying to protect you."

"The plate-glass window."

"You're going to try and blame that on him as well?"

"He broke it, mom! I hadn't even gotten home from school. Michael told you I came home, broke the window, then went back to school so I wouldn't get in trouble and you'd think he did it. I had 3 other students and a teacher that could vouch for the fact that I was there to work on my group science project from the time school let out until I got home at 5:30."

I was pacing around the house at this point, practically yelling at the top of my lungs. I couldn't believe she still thought he was innocent.

I continued. "But did you make any effort to verify what I told you? No, you didn't. What you said was that I could easily have convinced my friends to lie for me, and the teacher probably wasn't paying very close attention. So you decided that it was more plausible that I had somehow snuck home, broke the window, went back to school, and convinced my friends to lie about my being there than it was for Michael to simply have been the one that broke the window and then lie about it. I was grounded and lost my allowance for 6 months for something he did. Does that still make sense to you? I can go on."

"Well, you did have a history of that...

"No mom, I didn't. You only thought that because Michael blamed everything on me and you believed him. And even now, he has sex with my girlfriend and once again I'm the one in the wrong for getting upset about it. You know what? I'm done with the lot of you. From now on, I no longer have a family. Lose my number and my address. I'm done being the victim for you and Saint Michael."

I walked out of the house planning to never speak to any of these people ever again. It had been this way my whole life and I was finally tired of it. They say you can't choose your family; well, that may be true, but I could certainly choose to be rid of them.

<><><><><>

Despite my best efforts to go home over the weekend, every time I tried Tara or the asshole was waiting there to try and intercept me. This was not going to work for me. I stayed at the hotel through the weekend and then on Monday morning went into work to make some arrangements. My company had offices in a number of cities and they were always looking for entry-level engineers at all of their locations, so knew it would be nothing to arrange a transfer. I would start in my new office the following Monday, and I was given the week off to prepare for the move (unpaid, since I had requested the transfer, but I could live with that). I wouldn't need that much time.

I sent Tara a text that I wouldn't meet her in private but if she wanted to talk we could meet for dinner at Olive Garden. She agreed and we set a time of 7:00pm.

I spent the rest of the day making as many arrangements as I could over the phone and from a distance. I secured a reservation at an extended stay hotel so I'd have a place to stay until I could search for an apartment. I put in a change-of-address and did and all that other ankle biter-type stuff that needs to be done.

At 7:00pm, as Tara (and probably the rest of my family, if I knew them at all) was being seated at Olive Garden I sent a text that I was running late but would be there in about 15 minutes. I then took this opportunity to pack up as much as I could out of my apartment. This was all going to cost me some money. I wasn't breaking my lease but I was going to pay for it while I was living elsewhere. Thankfully I only had one more payment. I had actually planned on proposing to Tara and suggesting we move in together so hadn't wanted to commit to anything longer.

My car was stuffed full. There was plenty of stuff still inside but nothing I couldn't live without. I knocked on my neighbor's door and handed him my key, telling him I was leaving the state right away and that he was welcome to anything left in my apartment, and asked him to turn in the key for me when he was done. We had been good neighbors so I shook his hand and went on my way. Two days and about 1000 miles later I was settled into my hotel room and getting some much needed sleep.

<><><><><>

For the next 4 months my life was work-home-school (I was finishing out the year toward my master's with some online classes). I had changed my phone number and tried hard to ensure everything about me was as unlisted as possible, but obviously I left some sort of trail somewhere, though that's hard to avoid in this day and age.

BigGuy33
BigGuy33
3,072 Followers