On The High Plains Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When Carter Brannon's house was flattened by a fierce windstorm, we all met and rebuilt his house, better than ever, in three days. The men, in turn, helped Sam and Daniel and me erect the last two windmills and dig the reservoirs for the water. That's the way of neighbors; you help others when they need it and they help you when you need it. As diverse as our backgrounds are, nobody cares about that.

In other ways having neighbors creates more work. In the past, there was no one around to claim those cattle that I had herded onto my land. Now with other people around, it became necessary to brand them with a unique symbol so that no one else could claim my cows.

I had never bothered to fence off all that much of my land. Oh, I had put some fences between my crops and the grazing land to keep the animals out of the vegetables but mostly it was open range. Lately we've found it necessary to erect more outer fences. It wasn't a serious problem but maybe the fences have kept them from being more serious.

Life has continued to be long, hard, and often boring on the west Texas plains. Day after day it is the same thing over and over. As somebody once said, you can go for miles and miles and see nothing but miles and miles. On the other hand, the land is rich and provides a living to those who are willing to work it. When you've got a loving family and basically enjoy the work, it makes a pretty good living.

The End

12