Once Upon a Time

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"M'lady, I prayed you were alright."

You could feel the tears come to yours, seeing his plight and realizing finally what the crone had meant by regaining her beauty. The years she had grown younger had been stolen from another, from him.

"M'lord, I am so sorry, I have brought you great pain and suffering I fear."

He shook his head slowly, the action seeming to tire him but his voice spoke with conviction to say, "You have done nothing of the sort, you are no more responsible for the actions of others than the rain that falls from the sky to drown a man. 'Tis destiny, simply that and nothing more."

You searched frantically for the key, the ability to free him and leave this place but it was nowhere to be found.

"She wears it around her neck m'lady and in reality I am far too weak, too feeble to be able to leave here though you must. Evil has befallen this place and I fear if you stay it will win."

The tears which now fell did so silently, all hope having been lost you feared As you knelt beside him, seeing his weariness and feeling the pain which filled your heart, a pain you swore you would carry to your grave he forced a smile saying, "I never even knew your name m'lady."

"Anne m'lord" the sob catching in your throat as he reached up to touch your face.

"Tis a lovely name for a lovely woman. I am William, William of Devonshire honored to have been in your service. Now, you must leave me m'lady, go in peace my beautiful Anne, go now."

You stumbled through the darkness, seeking your exit from a place that you feared you might never see again, knowing in your heart that he and the kingdom were doomed. To the stables you ran, your white stallion which you had rode ever since you were a young child waiting and within seconds the two of you were flying across the countryside, running blindly, a destination unknown, a future uncertain. The tears began anew; your emotions blinding you to the presence of Lady Calias, her rage at the sight which befell her sphere enough to have her scream in the night.

"FIND HER; I MUST HAVE HER, GO!"

With that the three crows took off from the windowsill, heading east and flying fast.

It was only minutes later that you heard them, the moon showing you their silhouettes as you urged your steed to run even faster. The ground flew past, his hooves beating a steady path but the birds were unrelenting in their pursuit. They were now circling you, waiting for their chance and then, they attacked. One flew directly towards the horse, its head rearing, almost bucking you off as the black creature flew close enough for you to see his cold, dark eyes. A second flew past, his claws reaching out, catching in your hair and you screamed as you felt him graze your skull, a thin line of blood falling from your scalp. It was the third though, the one who had taken the shape of a man not long ago, your supposed suitor to be which dropped from the sky, his intent obvious, to stop you at any cost.

As he flew towards you, his size larger than any crow you had ever laid eyes upon you felt a sudden peace surround you. You remembered the stranger and his words. He had called it "destiny" and you decided if this is yours then so be it. You closed your eyes, saying a silent prayer for your father, his counsel and for the man who you had met only to lose; surrendering to whatever might come next.

With your eyes closed, your attacker intent on his prey, neither of you saw the streaking figure that literally collided with the raven. You heard a piercing scream, a battle cry if you will and when you opened your eyes you saw the falcon, his talons tearing at the crow, each in flight. The blackbird was no match for the warrior but the odds swiftly changed in his favor with the arrival of the other two assailants and they all began to peck and rip at the your valiant protector . You could only watch, having brought your mount to a stop as they began to overwhelm him with their sheer numbers.

You cried out, the vision before you of the man's companion spiraling down from the sky, trying desperately to fly but one wing hanging lifeless from his body until with a crash he fell to the ground, unmoving. The three birds which still circled the sky did so with great difficulty, their battle with their adversary having left them heavily injured as well and they were quick to depart, licking their wounds. Running across the field toward where the creature lay, you once again felt your heart drop like a stone as you came upon this magnificent creature, its feathers covered in blood, its chest rising and falling slowly.

Falling to your knees, looking down at its mangled wing, the bird struggling to try and regain his feet but to no avail you once again felt the sorrow which had invaded your life cover you like a shroud. One gold eye, etched with pain as you reached down to gently move the animal to your lap where you stroked its feathers, soft words of praise for his valor and his friendship escaping your lips. His movements grew weaker and weaker until finally you could almost feel his life slipping away and once again you closed your eyes, wondering if destiny could be such a cruel and hateful Mistress.

It was at that precise moment that you remembered something, the gift that he had bestowed upon you and as you let your hands surround him, fearing it was too late as you tried to exert your will into his. The bird did not fight; simply lay there his breathing by now barely visible, his body trembling in your hands. Once again you closed your eyes and in silent prayer asked for the strength to help this creature live, to serve yet another day. It was only when you reopened them that you found yourself looking down at the figure that lay in the green grass, her brown hair shining in the moonlight while at rest. Somehow, someway you had left the vessel of your body and with a piercing cry; you flew into the night sky.

A feeling of freedom like never before, an ability to see for miles, to focus intently on what lay ahead, the course so clear now. You knew not how, nor why but somehow the bird was again whole, the power of its body coursing through your every movement. It was only when you drew near the three who had brought such great pain upon you that you felt your blood turn cold, your eyes intent on them and their destruction. By the time it had ended all three lay dead and you could feel her eyes upon you, watching you from behind the sphere, a place you swore would provide her with no protection from your wrath.

Lady Calias had watched the devastation, the falcon with cold precious cutting each of her charges to pieces, laying them waste in front of her eyes. She now stood alone in the castle, fear coursing through her veins but knowing she still held the upper hand. Lifting her hand, seeing her reflection in the mirror as she caressed the item which lay between her breasts, the key not only to the mans freedom but also her beauty. Even now she appeared to be growing older again; his gift to her fading fast but there was still hope. As she walked down to the dungeon, knowing she would fly to her beloved and that in her capture she wound find not only beauty but more power than ever before. To be able to not only control the beasts but to become one as well, it was her destiny and if in the process the man and woman must die then it only made the prospect that much more pleasurable.

Dawn was nearing, the sky turning from its blackness to a brilliant red, the sign of blood to be spilled though you knew not whose. As you flew, your thoughts careening from one thing to another, William to your father to the witch, all of the players in this tale providing you with feelings, emotions which seemed to run more deeply than the waters which encircled your father's castle. You circled, knowing your window would be open and as you flew inside you felt her presence, you knew where she was and with a cry you took off for where you had left him last. Pulling up, your wings spread wide to stop your flight you saw her standing over him, his body almost as still as the creature's you now inhabited had been not so long ago.

She now looked as she had when your paths had first crossed, her body as shriveled as the one which lay at her feet.

"Ah, the prodigal child returns I see and just in time."

You flapped your wings, preparing to strike only to have her reach down, touching him and seeing his body glow brightly.

"I would be very, very careful my dear, you see he has only one life's breath remaining and if I take it then his time on earth is done, forever."

Your cry now was a mixture of pain and anger, her eyes shining brightly at the moment, her laughter echoing throughout the chambers.

"Now, I would propose this to you, he may keep his life but in return I will have yours. Give me what I want, what I need or I will send him to his death, a sight you will watch knowing you brought his life to an end."

For a moment, a fleeting second you thought about flying away, leaving this place never to return. Spending the rest of your life soaring, free at last from obligations, relations, life among others who had shown themselves capable of such trickery, such treachery. You also knew that to forsake him in his hour of need, when he had come to yours as a stranger would be to forfeit whatever right you had to live on this earth in any form. You let your eyes meet hers, each of you staring the other down until you allowed your gaze to fall, admitting your defeat.

To sacrifice oneself for another, the ultimate sacrifice was given freely. Time seeming to stand still, the silence which filled your ears and your thoughts however quickly broken by a voice, a strong, confident voice like I had first heard in the courtyard where this had all begun. It said,

"THE KEY.THE KEY IS THE KEY M'LADY, THE KEY IS THE KEY."

You lifted your head, your eyes seeing the pale figure on the floor looking directly at you, fighting for his last breath and with it telling you, even as the woman walked close, her hands reaching out to touch you, to steal your life all for her own vainness, her own desire for the ultimate in power.

"THE KEY, THE KEY UNLOCKS EVERYTHING, THE KEY IS THE KEY M'LADY."

It was only when you turned your attention back to the hag that you saw the key hanging around her neck, the way it glowed, pulsated though the light by now was feeble, barely able it seemed. Her eyes meanwhile were wide, she was so close to the prize and it was then you realized that she meant to kill both of you; only through your death would she find life. With that you raised up, your talons reaching out to pluck the object from its perch, the necklace tearing, her cry of alarm and then anger filled with fury. You flew upwards, though the ceiling was not tall, providing little relief. She swore at you, her hands reaching up, trying to reach you and with a bony hand she grabbed your claws and with that the prize dropped from your beak.

The key when it struck the hard ground shattered and with it so did she. The light was blinding, the very walls of the castle shaking, mortar and dust falling from the sky and only when it finally cleared did you see she no longer stood there, the only figure remaining that of the man no longer in chains but still as old, as feeble as if he had walked this earth for eternity. You settled beside him, his face turning toward you, and his blue eyes dim though they still showed a brief spark when he took in for him a sight of such beauty.

"You came for me m'lady, you came back for me." You watched, unable to believe your own eyes as he struggled mightily, finally standing. His voice was worn, his walk more a stumble as he said, "Take me to where she lays, there is little time."

With that he climbed the stairs, each step you feared would be his last until you came to find yourselves outside the castle, your faithful horse waiting. The stallion who would normally have never allowed a stranger to ride him stood silently, patiently until he was able to somehow pull himself up, slumping over the horse, holding onto its mane for dear life. With that the horse turned, beginning to move slowly towards the east and its destination.

The voyage which had took only a short while took most of the day, the horse unwilling to jostle his rider, to bring him any further pain or perhaps death. Instead you circled the sky, letting your eyes never leave his sight, wondering if he were still alive, if somehow he would make it make to you. Finally, as the shadows grew long the field came into sight and you saw your body still lying where it had, motionless, still at rest. You flew to her side, alighting, seeing how peaceful she looked before turning to see the horse had stopped, his rider literally sliding from the mount, landing in the plush grass.

You saw his eyes flutter, opening slowly and the look of pain when he saw the figure that lay beside you. Clawing at the ground, pulling him, inch by inch nearer to her. It took everything he had, every ounce of strength to do so and when it was done he issued a brief sigh, his hand reaching out only to fall into yours. He laid there, his chest once again showing his waning breathes the end almost there. It was then that you looked into the sky and saw him, the majestic bird flying from out of the sun, his wings breathtaking in their scope, his cry in discovery. When he landed, he did so directly beside you, two sets of golden eyes shining back with love and in another found, not lost.

Where once had laid one, now there were two. Two joined by hands and hearts, each set free now to soar above the clouds. As the pair took off, each glancing back to remember, never to forget they flew towards the waning light. You could hear him, hear his thoughts, his words as he said,

"You saved me m'lady, you have brought me new life and for that I shall love you forever and ever."

The land never looked more beautiful, the sky your world, a lifetime of love and new memories to be made and cherished together. You flew towards the sun, two souls, two spirits, two survivors complete in life and love, forever.

12